Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 29-03-2020 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131135)
i'm not even asking to be promoted at a super fast rate, i just feel that my rate is too slow. Hen tak kaki at geo 3 for 7 years, by next year it would be 8 years already. Even my colleagues who got C- before or who went to give birth twice before n was away from school for almost a year, all got promoted faster than me.

Would advise you to consider changing school if this is the case. I joined in 2009. was promoted to GEO 3 (1a1) in 2011 and GEO 4 in 2016. Used to get a mixture of Bs and C+s in my first school.

Then also changed school due to moving house and has been stagnant ever since, despite being involved in many duties, both internal and external. Grades have been average despite being given more and more work over the years. Asked RO if I can do more to improve my grades and was told I am doing fine but when the grade is revealed, it is still the same.

So I think it really depends on the school and whether they like/recognise you enough to push you for promotion. Also considering going for open posting this year.

Unregistered 29-03-2020 02:02 PM

For those promoted in Apr 2020, has pacgov reflected the change under current salary scale/range and point?

Unregistered 29-03-2020 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131141)
For those promoted in Apr 2020, has pacgov reflected the change under current salary scale/range and point?

It's usually reflected on 1st April.

Unregistered 29-03-2020 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131141)

It reflects the CURRENT salary scale. It's now still March, means it will still show your pre-promotion one. Your promotion is only w.e.f. 1st April, so wait until 1st April.

Unregistered 29-03-2020 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131135)
i'm not even asking to be promoted at a super fast rate, i just feel that my rate is too slow. Hen tak kaki at geo 3 for 7 years, by next year it would be 8 years already. Even my colleagues who got C- before or who went to give birth twice before n was away from school for almost a year, all got promoted faster than me.

Hi, I'm the previous poster who replied to you. I totally feel you and was quite "Sian" and frustrated too. This was why I sought my VP's advice. Sometimes, I feel if you got to make it known to SLs that you haven't been promoted and what could be the reason, only then they will 'keep a lookout' for you. No need to be shy in fighting for your rights. Otherwise, like what others say here, have a change in school but remember to pack with you a portfolio of all the good work you have done as you prep for open interview. I was quite thick skinned when I spoke to my VP about slow career progression, I told him it's plain ridiculous to be only drawing a mere $200 more in salary as compared to a much younger peer who has 3 years of teaching experience. Really suck thumb. Then again, at a higher subgrade, work responsibilities are also heavier. So I'd rather go with more MI than being promoted.

Unregistered 30-03-2020 07:46 AM

My p just told me that I will be promoted to geo4. What is the pay increment from 3 to 4?

Unregistered 30-03-2020 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131221)
My p just told me that I will be promoted to geo4. What is the pay increment from 3 to 4?

Together with merit increment, 4-500. Actual increment dep on perf grade

Unregistered 30-03-2020 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131087)
What is your portfolio like? But it looks like there is an improvement in your latest PB?

2014: Info Comm CCA, BT, Committee is CCE, ICT Champion, level coordinator
2015: Info Comm CCA, Committee is CCE, ICT Champion, level coordinator
2016: Performing arts CCA, Committee is CCE, ICT Champion, level coordinator
2017: Performing arts CCA, Committee is CCE, ICT Champion, level coordinator
2018: Performing arts CCA, Committee is SWC, level coordinator
2019: sports CCA, committee is cockpit, level coordinator
2020: sports cca IC, committee is cockpit

Unregistered 30-03-2020 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131260)

Actually I find being ICT Champion and level coordinator (I am referring to being level coordinator for the subject, not for the level like level manager) does not really help to push up your grade unless you have really done something to fully affect the entire level. I was given those roles too but still ended up with C for those years.

Unregistered 30-03-2020 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131260)

Not trying to say that you don't do any work, but to get promoted fast(er) you need to take on wider responsibilities at a higher level. You should start asking to increase your workload to a typical GEO4/5's level now that you have quite a few years of experience, meaning your T&L should be quite solid and you can add more to your plate.

For example most GEO4/5 have double committee. You can ask to be a member of two committees, or even ask to lead/be 2IC of a committee with a less xiong jobscope. You can lead/2ic some functional committees also, like open house or OViA those kind. You are a CCA head now so it will help. There are other things you can also ask for, like being a PLT leader, representing your sch in a cluster/zone/national NLC, or even joining traditionally KP-dominated committees like Exam comm, Corp Comms, etc., it helps to get you noticed so much better.