Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 05-10-2022 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232034)
SEO1 is now 10k

10k is the ceiling. You should know how many years of slogging it takes to reach the ceiling, especially nowadays when merit increments are depressed.

Even if you were at the previous GEO5 ceiling of 7.8k, and newly promoted to SEO1, you will only be at 8.3k. Let's say you get an average merit increment of +230 a year.. how many years will you take to hit 10k? And don't forget that the closer you get to the ceiling, the smaller the merit increments become.

It's a long, long, long time. SEO1 is not an instant 10k. For many years you will have a rather small pay gap with the people who report to you.

Unregistered 05-10-2022 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232040)
10k is the ceiling. You should know how many years of slogging it takes to reach the ceiling, especially nowadays when merit increments are depressed.

Even if you were at the previous GEO5 ceiling of 7.8k, and newly promoted to SEO1, you will only be at 8.3k. Let's say you get an average merit increment of +230 a year.. how many years will you take to hit 10k? And don't forget that the closer you get to the ceiling, the smaller the merit increments become.

It's a long, long, long time. SEO1 is not an instant 10k. For many years you will have a rather small pay gap with the people who report to you.

Most of GEO5 to SEO1 promotees aren't at GEO5 ceiling. They are usually younger. So yeah lor it takes SUPER long unless you move up to HOD appointment and beyond.

Unregistered 05-10-2022 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232040)

Has the promotion increment been factored in

Unregistered 06-10-2022 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232028)
$20 off from ceiling means not at ceiling right? My guess is still have to wait out at least one more year??

You can be stuck at the ceiling of your subgrade indefinitely without getting a promotion. Hit ceiling doesn't mean auto promote.

Unregistered 06-10-2022 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232080)
You can be stuck at the ceiling of your subgrade indefinitely without getting a promotion. Hit ceiling doesn't mean auto promote.

yeah.can be indefinitely

Unregistered 06-10-2022 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232083)
yeah.can be indefinitely

If you are a mid career switcher, it's a common issue. MOE usually starts mid-career switchers at GEO3. If they have a lot of relevant past experience, they will start near the ceiling and end up stuck at the ceiling for some time while they serve out the minimum time in grade.

If you are a 1st career teacher but are stuck at the ceiling of geo3 or geo4.. then you have below average advancement prospects. If you are not aspiring to climb the ladder, no big deal. If you want to climb the ladder, maybe redirect your energy and aspirations elsewhere.

Unregistered 06-10-2022 05:16 PM

Hello

Does anyone here know if non-kps and kps are ranked together?

Unregistered 06-10-2022 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232113)
Hello

Does anyone here know if non-kps and kps are ranked together?

Staff of same grade will be ranked against each other, regardless of appointment.

So GEO4 KP are very likely to get A/B, unless they're seriously underperforming.

Unregistered 06-10-2022 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232115)
Staff of same grade will be ranked against each other, regardless of appointment.

So GEO4 KP are very likely to get A/B, unless they're seriously underperforming.

yes correct. same grade stacked together.

Unregistered 06-10-2022 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232115)

Is the ranking period already over?

Tinkermaster 06-10-2022 09:01 PM

Should have ended with Supt coming around to calibrate and to endorse

Tinkermaster 06-10-2022 09:05 PM

Usually it also depends on your CEP and performance across the years and whether you are doing your role at the expected grade. e.g SH is at SEO 1 and HOD at SEO 2 etc... So one can be stucked there for a long while after you reached your ceiling. I know of HODs who are at SEO 1 but did not get to SEO 2 even after that had struck their ceiling. Worst, is they are very good performers, so then it plays down to your CEP as well.

Unregistered 06-10-2022 10:02 PM

is it possible to be internally appointed as kp as geo3?

Unregistered 07-10-2022 06:49 AM

Oct pay

May I ask if you all are able to see the amount of Oct pay reflected under your remuneration statement in workpal?

Unregistered 07-10-2022 08:07 AM

Yes, and the salary range as well. All info under "salary revision letter" either in Hrp portal or workpal.

Unregistered 07-10-2022 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232088)
If you are a mid career switcher, it's a common issue. MOE usually starts mid-career switchers at GEO3. If they have a lot of relevant past experience, they will start near the ceiling and end up stuck at the ceiling for some time while they serve out the minimum time in grade.

If you are a 1st career teacher but are stuck at the ceiling of geo3 or geo4.. then you have below average advancement prospects. If you are not aspiring to climb the ladder, no big deal. If you want to climb the ladder, maybe redirect your energy and aspirations elsewhere.

"while they serve out the minimum time in grade" - what is the min time in GEO3?

I was stuck at the ceiling for 3 years until the recent pay raise. And with the increment, i'll have another year before i'm stuck again at the new ceiling.

Unregistered 07-10-2022 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232156)
"while they serve out the minimum time in grade" - what is the min time in GEO3?

You expect to get this sort of information on the public domain?

Unregistered 07-10-2022 10:49 AM

have been in GEO 4 for 6 years and counting...during these 6 years, I was given many projects and performed my roles to the best of my ability. During work review, I would always be told that I am doing fine. But year and again, I would be passed on for promotion while my peers (even those who had fewer projects and opportunities or in service for fewer years than me) were promoted and had already caught up or surpassed me.

I really do not know how to bring this issue up to my RO...my aim is actually to just get promoted to the next rank (GEO 5).

Unregistered 07-10-2022 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232161)
have been in GEO 4 for 6 years and counting...during these 6 years, I was given many projects and performed my roles to the best of my ability. During work review, I would always be told that I am doing fine. But year and again, I would be passed on for promotion while my peers (even those who had fewer projects and opportunities or in service for fewer years than me) were promoted and had already caught up or surpassed me.

I really do not know how to bring this issue up to my RO...my aim is actually to just get promoted to the next rank (GEO 5).

Time based about there…about 7yrs

Unregistered 07-10-2022 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232187)
Time based about there…about 7yrs

So I should just let it be and if I don't mess up (continue to get average grade of C/C+), I will be promoted in 2023 or 2024?

Unregistered 07-10-2022 09:39 PM

This scenario has been bugging me for a while.

Let's say there are 2 teachers X and Y. X joined service later than Y, but had a few years of consistent good performance (B grade and above). Got promoted from GEO3 to GEO4 within 3 years. After promotion but before adjustment, salary was about 5.7k. After adjustment, about 6k.

Y is an average performer with mostly C, occasional C+. Still at GEO3 after 7 years. Before adjustment, salary was about 5.2k. After adjustment, about 5.7k. Y is due for promotion to GEO4 next year, hence estimated salary next April will be ~6.1k.

Assuming that the current MI amounts continue, salary of X next April will be about 6.1k - about the same as Y.

In this case, the adjustment has simply written off the differentiation of the progression of good vs average performers, no? Would that still be fair to the good performers?

Unregistered 07-10-2022 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232204)

Let's say there are 2 teachers X and Y. X joined service later than Y, but had a few years of consistent good performance (B grade and above). Got promoted from GEO3 to GEO4 within 3 years. After promotion but before adjustment, salary was about 5.7k. After adjustment, about 6k.

Y is an average performer with mostly C, occasional C+. Still at GEO3 after 7 years. Before adjustment, salary was about 5.2k. After adjustment, about 5.7k. Y is due for promotion to GEO4 next year, hence estimated salary next April will be ~6.1k.

Assuming that the current MI amounts continue, salary of X next April will be about 6.1k - about the same as Y.

In this case, the adjustment has simply written off the differentiation of the progression of good vs average performers, no? Would that still be fair to the good performers?

Geo3 after 7 years is average performer? Sounds like got warning letter or adverse grade before.

Unregistered 07-10-2022 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232205)
Geo3 after 7 years is average performer? Sounds like got warning letter or adverse grade before.

Not true. I nv had adverse grade before. All C. It was at geo3 for 7years… fought it up to my P in new sch. Got my geo4 year after…but then got my geo5 two years after that. So I caught up eventually.
No idea how it works…HR mystery. People keep saying it’s up to Hr and SLs can only recommend

Unregistered 08-10-2022 07:00 AM

Avg performer..6 years at geo3 n counting!!!

Unregistered 08-10-2022 07:07 AM

Quote:

Aiya dont sweat it, hope Y gets to geo5 faster than X. Hahahah

Unregistered 08-10-2022 10:09 AM

Quote:

That’s why there’s a Chinese saying that goes along the lines that comparison will make people upset. Just don’t compare too much. If you think you aren’t being compensated well, then just do the work that you think justify your salary. Only you are in control of your own happiness. To be honest, there are many HOTs who have understood this and they no longer feel so upset about not getting promoted. They just do the minimal, be happy and go home once the last bell rings.

Unregistered 08-10-2022 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232218)
Avg performer..6 years at geo3 n counting!!!

To hasten promotion, can join high profile committee or cca like students council

Unregistered 08-10-2022 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232206)
Not true. I nv had adverse grade before. All C. It was at geo3 for 7years… fought it up to my P in new sch. Got my geo4 year after…but then got my geo5 two years after that. So I caught up eventually.
No idea how it works…HR mystery. People keep saying it’s up to Hr and SLs can only recommend

Can share how you "fought it up" to your P? I am also average performer and got my GEO 4 after 6 years but coming to 7 years of GEO 4 but still no inkling when I will be promoted to GEO 5. Never had adverse grades or warnings also - in fact always told I am doing well during work review but somehow just stagnant. I also changed to a new school last year..

Unregistered 08-10-2022 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232237)
Can share how you "fought it up" to your P? I am also average performer and got my GEO 4 after 6 years but coming to 7 years of GEO 4 but still no inkling when I will be promoted to GEO 5. Never had adverse grades or warnings also - in fact always told I am doing well during work review but somehow just stagnant. I also changed to a new school last year..

Likely you will get GEO5 next year

Unregistered 08-10-2022 01:24 PM

Quote:

This is the new normal for teachers with GEO5 CEP. If you are comparing with your older colleagues, times have changed. Instead of quickly pushing regular teachers up to the max grade and allowing them to coast thereafter, the promotions are now spread out further across their expected career span.

Unregistered 08-10-2022 02:15 PM

Quote:

Typo….I didn’t fight. Lol I just told the P…there is a window period in which you can appeal for promotion when promotion list is out. Unfortunately I missed the deadline to appeal that’s why got it following year. But I have to say I was fortunate to get my geo5 in 2015….reading the forum here I realised post 2015 all the promotions have been slowed down/scaled back.

randymarshh 08-10-2022 04:47 PM

Performance Grade C-

Hello everyone, new to the forum, currently an acting HOD, first time having a JH. Ranking just concluded, my JH is a GEO5 and was given a C-.

Tried to speak up for my JH, he didn’t do anything wrong, just did what he was assigned but was faulted on not having the impact of a GEO5.

How should I break the news to my JH? He has been in the service for almost 20 years, and I am like 10 plus years junior to him. I don’t know how he will react and I am genuinely concerned how this will turn out.

Hope to hear some advice here, thanks in advance!

Unregistered 08-10-2022 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232246)
Typo….I didn’t fight. Lol I just told the P…there is a window period in which you can appeal for promotion when promotion list is out. Unfortunately I missed the deadline to appeal that’s why got it following year. But I have to say I was fortunate to get my geo5 in 2015….reading the forum here I realised post 2015 all the promotions have been slowed down/scaled back.

When you told the P, how did you put it across that you deserve the promotion? Won't your P just say oh it's just not your turn yet?

Unregistered 08-10-2022 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232260)
When you told the P, how did you put it across that you deserve the promotion? Won't your P just say oh it's just not your turn yet?

It was my third sch and I was still 3. So I told P that I didn’t want her or others to think negatively or bad impression cos I was still 3 yet never had anything worse than a C. More to clear the air. P then told me about the appeal period.

Unregistered 08-10-2022 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randymarshh (Post 232259)
Hello everyone, new to the forum, currently an acting HOD, first time having a JH. Ranking just concluded, my JH is a GEO5 and was given a C-.

Tried to speak up for my JH, he didn’t do anything wrong, just did what he was assigned but was faulted on not having the impact of a GEO5.

How should I break the news to my JH? He has been in the service for almost 20 years, and I am like 10 plus years junior to him. I don’t know how he will react and I am genuinely concerned how this will turn out.

Did you preempt him in June that he needs to buck up?

Unregistered 09-10-2022 12:52 AM

Quote:

Need break news meh. My RO dont say shiet to me

Unregistered 09-10-2022 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232275)
It was my third sch and I was still 3. So I told P that I didn’t want her or others to think negatively or bad impression cos I was still 3 yet never had anything worse than a C. More to clear the air. P then told me about the appeal period.

Well played....

Unregistered 09-10-2022 02:49 AM

Quote:

Just tell him the truth using the sh*t sandwich strategy:

1. Highlight the strengths in his current areas of work - e.g., dependable, able to do what he was assigned independently, etc

2. Share the key factors that were considered in the ranking appraisal process and where he stood relative to others of his substantive grade. Tell him his grade. Highlight the areas which he needs to do more/showcase more so that he has a chance of an improved grade next year.

3. Seek his views/validate his feelings of the news. Ask what else you could support him further as his RO in his work.

Unregistered 09-10-2022 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232286)
Just tell him the truth using the sh*t sandwich strategy:

1. Highlight the strengths in his current areas of work - e.g., dependable, able to do what he was assigned independently, etc

2. Share the key factors that were considered in the ranking appraisal process and where he stood relative to others of his substantive grade. Tell him his grade. Highlight the areas which he needs to do more/showcase more so that he has a chance of an improved grade next year.

3. Seek his views/validate his feelings of the news. Ask what else you could support him further as his RO in his work.

How early do u all share the perf grade with ur JHs?

Unregistered 09-10-2022 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 232288)
How early do u all share the perf grade with ur JHs?

I would hint strongly during year end review, and highlight again near April. Don't see any point doing it earlier since nothing much can be done this year already. But the JH might be keen to get out of the situation next year.