Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 25-03-2020 09:37 PM

Whatever talk about 2Bs will get you a promotion is definitely not true. Ultimately, you must show that you are able to take on a bigger role and responsibilities. Beside your RO and P, the rest is up to HR.

Unregistered 25-03-2020 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 130869)
Nice. Looks like 2 consecutive Bs will get u promoted.

Is it harder to get a good grade in HQ?

Usually harder, from what I was told. Usually given a C or C+ for many officers

Unregistered 26-03-2020 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 130852)
For me, I joined in 2011, promoted to GEO3 in 2012.
Then went to HQ in 2015, and got promoted to GEO4 in 2016.
Posted from HQ back to school in 2018. Just got news about being promoted to GEO5.
Is this considered normal progression or fast?

Not sure. I think it’s fast.

For myself:
PGDE: 2012
Joined school as trained teacher: 2013
GEO1A1: 2014
GEO4: 2017
GEO5: 2020

Is this progression ok? I know there people with even faster promo in my school.

Unregistered 26-03-2020 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 130879)

For myself:

Is this progression ok? I know there people with even faster promo in my school.

I think yours is quite fast. Considering nowadays promotions are slowed down by MOE due to excess teachers.

Unregistered 26-03-2020 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 130884)
excess teachers.

This phrase triggers people in some schools right now. Excess is utter BS. We are operating very close to capacity. How do we know this? All it takes is for a couple of teachers teaching a subject to be on LOA/SHN and some of us end up with so much relief that we have a nearly full back to back day (9 lessons ~ approx 7.5 hours in the classroom in a day), with the only break being the recess time when it's impossible to get anything from the canteen due to the queues.

We have no sustainable buffer for contingencies. No need to talk about COVID-19 pandemic. Even in the past, a particularly severe flu season will push the surviving teachers to their breaking point. Granted, it is partly because we have so many extra programmes and nonsense baked into our timetable. But "excess teachers" is an insult to our intelligence.

Unregistered 26-03-2020 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 130887)
This phrase triggers people in some schools right now. Excess is utter BS. We are operating very close to capacity. How do we know this? All it takes is for a couple of teachers teaching a subject to be on LOA/SHN and some of us end up with so much relief that we have a nearly full back to back day (9 lessons ~ approx 7.5 hours in the classroom in a day), with the only break being the recess time when it's impossible to get anything from the canteen due to the queues.

We have no sustainable buffer for contingencies. No need to talk about COVID-19 pandemic. Even in the past, a particularly severe flu season will push the surviving teachers to their breaking point. Granted, it is partly because we have so many extra programmes and nonsense baked into our timetable. But "excess teachers" is an insult to our intelligence.

Erm school closures then there is a lot of excess capacity.
I think some times there might be a need to show gratitude to the moe.
Perhaps moe teachers shld attend a compulsory course on gratitude education
Do you know how many pte tutors/tuition centres are in trouble now?

Unregistered 26-03-2020 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 130888)
Erm school closures then there is a lot of excess capacity.
I think some times there might be a need to show gratitude to the moe.
Perhaps moe teachers shld attend a compulsory course on gratitude education
Do you know how many pte tutors/tuition centres are in trouble now?

Another non-teacher armchair commenter who has never done 7 hours straight in classrooms of 40 rowdy kids. It is very easy to take the total student population in a school, divided by the total number of teachers, and get a sweet number between 11 to 13. Wow! One teacher only 12 students! ********. That number assumes that every single teacher is in the classroom for the entirety of school hours, non-stop, with no breaks and no time to do planning/marking within working hours.

Before the school mergers etc, we are working pretty much at capacity. As candidature shrinks, we continue to work close to capacity because of all the extra **** that comes up. Honestly? It is fine. Every job is tough and demanding. None of us are saying that teachers have it worse than other people. But phrases like "excess teachers" - coming from the MOE itself, no less - makes it sound like they almost begrudgingly keep us employed and we eat snake everyday.

The issue raised is about the above. Why even bring in private sector? Yes they are facing issues now, but you derailed the topic.

Unregistered 26-03-2020 10:25 AM

Increment from GEO 4 to GEO 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 130884)
I think yours is quite fast. Considering nowadays promotions are slowed down by MOE due to excess teachers.

I just received a text about my promotion to GEO 5.

My path:
2004: GEO 1
2007: GEO 1A1
2008: GEO 1A2
2015: GEO 4 (went on NPL)
2016: NPL
2017: 3/4 (C+)
2018: B
2019: B (recieved news today im GEO 5)
(ear marked to go for SH interview at the end of the year.

My question: Whats the pay increase from GEO 4- 5? how does it work?
I know last year i got B - so my merit increment in April 2018 was $259

Appreciate the help.

Unregistered 26-03-2020 02:38 PM

Quote:

For myself:

Ok progression. You should be a KP.

Unregistered 26-03-2020 07:28 PM

Quote:

For myself:

When did you find out your promotion for 2020?

Unregistered 26-03-2020 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 130887)

I was a relief teacher and do agree with you. I feel that my school has a shortage. But these days it seemed that moe cut down intake by a lot ever since the schools mergers. I really wanted to teach in school but kept get rejected.

Unregistered 26-03-2020 07:52 PM

How long till next promotion

Hi I just received news that I am promoted (GEO 2 to Geo 3)

Started as GEO 2 in 2018

Grade

2019 C
2020 C

May I know how long till the next promotion for an average performer? (GEO 3 to GEO 4)

Unregistered 26-03-2020 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 130927)
When did you find out your promotion for 2020?

SLs would have received list of promotees on 25 Mar late noon. Depend whether your SL like to immediately announce in pte, publicly, do both, or withhold info lo

Unregistered 26-03-2020 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 130929)
Hi I just received news that I am promoted (GEO 2 to Geo 3)

Started as GEO 2 in 2018

Grade

2019 C
2020 C

May I know how long till the next promotion for an average performer? (GEO 3 to GEO 4)

Based on the replies in the last few pages of this thread, time for GEO3 to 4 varies wildly.

I myself spent 2.5 years as a GEO3 before hitting GEO4 (October XX: GEO2 to 3; April XX+3: GEO3 to GEO4). But some people, despite performing well or even above average, stay at GEO3 for more than 5 years through no particular fault of their own. It depends on your school and your CEP really.

Unregistered 26-03-2020 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 130938)
Based on the replies in the last few pages of this thread, time for GEO3 to 4 varies wildly.

I myself spent 2.5 years as a GEO3 before hitting GEO4 (October XX: GEO2 to 3; April XX+3: GEO3 to GEO4). But some people, despite performing well or even above average, stay at GEO3 for more than 5 years through no particular fault of their own. It depends on your school and your CEP really.

It shd be more about performance rather than CEP... Almost all teachers have CEP of GEO5 at least, so if u do consistently well u should get your GEO4 in good time

Unregistered 26-03-2020 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 130939)
It shd be more about performance rather than CEP... Almost all teachers have CEP of GEO5 at least, so if u do consistently well u should get your GEO4 in good time

CEP determines the rate at which you get considered for promotion. So for two equally well performing officers, the one with the higher CEP is more likely to be promoted than the one with the lower CEP. But of course, being considered for promotion that year doesn't mean you are guaranteed a promotion that year - the school must also support it.

If performance is consistently good, the panel can recommend an upward adjustment to CEP. On the other hand, if they don't bother trying to adjust CEP, one can receive many good performance grades yet not be promoted very quickly.

Unregistered 26-03-2020 11:28 PM

Heard from a friend:

2013 Joined service, GEO1.1 C
2014 GEO1A1 (promotion - cohort) B
2015 GEO4 (promotion) B
2016 GEO4 C+
2017 GEO4 B
2018 GEO5 (promotion) C+
2019 GEO5 B
2020 SEO1 (promotion)

Fast?

Unregistered 27-03-2020 01:54 AM

Got news of my promotion today.
Geo 5.
I got a grade B. What is the increment in my salary?
I knw last yr merit increment was $259. I got B the previous yr too.

Thank you

Unregistered 27-03-2020 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 130948)
Heard from a friend:

2015 GEO4 (promotion) B
2016 GEO4 C+
2017 GEO4 B
2018 GEO5 (promotion) C+
2019 GEO5 B
2020 SEO1 (promotion)

Fast?

Either a very high tier scholar fast tracked into management at HQ level, or... telling lies.

Even my NIE batchmate who is an OMS(T) is still GEO3 in third year of trained service, although he has been red carpeted to HQ this year and will likely get promoted next year.

Unregistered 27-03-2020 11:47 AM

Not sure how these things work. Know of young scholars, 2+ years in school C+/B and 1st year in HQ range also C+/B but still geo3. Whereas Im from their batch, remaining in school, getting similar grades, non-scholar but just promoted to geo4

Also is it true that upon raising your CEP, there will be no promotion in the same financial year of adjustment?

Unregistered 27-03-2020 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 130978)
Not sure how these things work. Know of young scholars, 2+ years in school C+/B and 1st year in HQ range also C+/B but still geo3. Whereas Im from their batch, remaining in school, getting similar grades, non-scholar but just promoted to geo4

Also is it true that upon raising your CEP, there will be no promotion in the same financial year of adjustment?

Are you mid career? Did u get at least two Bs in the last three years?

Unregistered 27-03-2020 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 130969)
Either a very high tier scholar fast tracked into management at HQ level, or... telling lies.

Even my NIE batchmate who is an OMS(T) is still GEO3 in third year of trained service, although he has been red carpeted to HQ this year and will likely get promoted next year.

Really depends on individual school practices. For some schools, in year of promotion, max grade C or C+, so promotion to the next grade is slower.

In the example, that guy got B in his year of promotion to GEO1A1 (which is GEO3 now), which could explain the faster promotion.

Unregistered 27-03-2020 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 130980)
Are you mid career? Did u get at least two Bs in the last three years?

not mid-career. Yes 2 Bs, but so did my peers

Unregistered 27-03-2020 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 130982)
not mid-career. Yes 2 Bs, but so did my peers

Are u and ur peers different genders? All other things being equal, males promoted faster

Unregistered 27-03-2020 01:00 PM

If I were to do a direct comparison with someone who has exactly the same age, years in service, gender and pb grade over the past 3 years, but this person is a scholar and in hq now, but im in school and a non-scholar. Interesting huh

Unregistered 27-03-2020 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 130986)
If I were to do a direct comparison with someone who has exactly the same age, years in service, gender and pb grade over the past 3 years, but this person is a scholar and in hq now, but im in school and a non-scholar. Interesting huh

Take a leap and apply to HQ this June/Jul. I know many who do that and post to HQ after 2/3 years in sch. Helps u gain the systems view

Unregistered 27-03-2020 02:03 PM

Truth be told, disappointed that I did not get promoted nor did I get an above average grade despite doing much more work last year compared to previous year and also compared to those who have been promoted. This was despite being assured by my RO and SLs that I was doing a great job and I am right on track - I have always been upfront with them when it comes to my goals and aspirations.

Now I am thinking of either applying for no pay leave (my parents aren't getting any younger and need my care too - I have been neglecting them as well as my own health to put in my best at work) or just quit the service by the end of the year.

Unregistered 27-03-2020 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 130989)
Truth be told, disappointed that I did not get promoted nor did I get an above average grade despite doing much more work last year compared to previous year and also compared to those who have been promoted. This was despite being assured by my RO and SLs that I was doing a great job and I am right on track - I have always been upfront with them when it comes to my goals and aspirations.

Now I am thinking of either applying for no pay leave (my parents aren't getting any younger and need my care too - I have been neglecting them as well as my own health to put in my best at work) or just quit the service by the end of the year.

I honestly think it's not worth it to be sacrificing so much for this job. If you really feel that your health is suffering, quitting is indeed the better choice. Please take care of yourself! Work is not everything :)

Unregistered 27-03-2020 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 130989)

Why not just apply for opening posting & start afresh somewhere else?

Unregistered 27-03-2020 06:44 PM

Feeling abit frustrated as I have been stuck at geo 3 for the past 4 years. Even had two c+ in my previous school but no promotion. Already at the ceiling of the scale. Does that mean if no promotion then no increment too? Cause that would really suck.

Unregistered 27-03-2020 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131002)
Why not just apply for opening posting & start afresh somewhere else?

Yes, please don't underestimate the power of changing your workplace. I was stuck at my first school for 6 years without promotion. Constantly C grading. I kept wondering what is it that I didn't do well. My ROs told me I'm doing fine. I got sick of working as hard or even harder than other colleagues and decided NOT to wait here for my first promotion. Took the courage to apply for open posting. Second year in my new school, I got a B. Third year, promotion came. And the rest are all history....

Don't think your promotion is coming just because you spent a great number of years there. If they see your value, it would have came earlier, not later.

Unregistered 27-03-2020 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131010)
Yes, please don't underestimate the power of changing your workplace. I was stuck at my first school for 6 years without promotion. Constantly C grading. I kept wondering what is it that I didn't do well. My ROs told me I'm doing fine. I got sick of working as hard or even harder than other colleagues and decided NOT to wait here for my first promotion. Took the courage to apply for open posting. Second year in my new school, I got a B. Third year, promotion came. And the rest are all history....

Don't think your promotion is coming just because you spent a great number of years there. If they see your value, it would have came earlier, not later.

Glad that you managed to find a better school! I actually got my first and second promotion in my first school then I changed to another school becos I moved house. This is my 4th year here and my grades are constantly Cs although I am given more and more responsibilities. Sometimes I wonder if it is because I find it hard to fit into the "cliques" here whereas in my previous school, I already have my own group of collegues-turned-friends.

So I am worried if I change to another school, I will find it difficult to fit in again and the problem will just resurface.

Unregistered 27-03-2020 09:29 PM

Increment from GEO 4 to GEO 5

My CEP got raised last year. My ro told me. as they have ear marked me for SH interview at the end of the year.

My path:
2004 GEO 1.1
2007 GEO 1A1
2008 GEO 1A2
2015 GEO4 (npl)
2016 NPL
2017 3/4 (OCA award - individual) C+
2018 back to full load B (OCA award - individual) ear marked at year end to prep for role of SH. CEP rasied
2019 B (in prep for interview at year end 2020)
got news a few days ago - i got promoted to GEO 5.

Whats the increment from GEO 4- 5?
last yr my merit increment (since i got B) was 259

appreciate the help

Unregistered 28-03-2020 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131015)
My CEP got raised last year. My ro told me. as they have ear marked me for SH interview at the end of the year.

My path:
2004 GEO 1.1
2007 GEO 1A1
2008 GEO 1A2
2015 GEO4 (npl)
2016 NPL
2017 3/4 (OCA award - individual) C+
2018 back to full load B (OCA award - individual) ear marked at year end to prep for role of SH. CEP rasied
2019 B (in prep for interview at year end 2020)
got news a few days ago - i got promoted to GEO 5.

Whats the increment from GEO 4- 5?
last yr my merit increment (since i got B) was 259

appreciate the help

Congratulations in your promotion. Increment with MI is around 500.
Once appointed, you will receive allowance, paid out once yearly, until you get to SEO scale.
For SH interview, job clarity is important.
Do speak with your P (on top of RO/ VP). They can prepare you for the interview better.

Unregistered 28-03-2020 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 130948)
Heard from a friend:

2015 GEO4 (promotion) B
2016 GEO4 C+
2017 GEO4 B
2018 GEO5 (promotion) C+
2019 GEO5 B
2020 SEO1 (promotion)

Fast?

When your friend shared this with you you must have gone WAH. Still need to ask if this is fast?
7 years to SEO is a little too fast. FLP? Or top top scholar.

Unregistered 28-03-2020 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131009)
Feeling abit frustrated as I have been stuck at geo 3 for the past 4 years. Even had two c+ in my previous school but no promotion. Already at the ceiling of the scale. Does that mean if no promotion then no increment too? Cause that would really suck.

If your salary has hit the ceiling of the substantive grade, then yes. There would not be any increment.

Unregistered 28-03-2020 09:13 AM

I've joined in 2014 officially NIE. My progression is

2014: GEO 2 after NIE in 2013.
2015: Got my GEO 3
From 2015 to 2020, no promotion.

Performance all C except 2020 is C+.
Hit ceiling in 2019 april.

Went to P say no black marks... no C- or D. Ro say good.

But now still no raise.

Total service is 6 yr 3 months and geo 3 is 5 year 4 months.

Super shitty. Moreover, I always finish my work ahead of time and help out. Need to clear my SH **** and they get the credit.

Damn pissed... my progression is slow and messed up right?

Unregistered 28-03-2020 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131042)
I've joined in 2014 officially NIE. My progression is

2014: GEO 2 after NIE in 2013.
2015: Got my GEO 3
From 2015 to 2020, no promotion.

Performance all C except 2020 is C+.
Hit ceiling in 2019 april.

Went to P say no black marks... no C- or D. Ro say good.

But now still no raise.

Total service is 6 yr 3 months and geo 3 is 5 year 4 months.

Super shitty. Moreover, I always finish my work ahead of time and help out. Need to clear my SH **** and they get the credit.

Damn pissed... my progression is slow and messed up right?

The usual recommendation from more experienced colleagues is.. one or two years before you hit the ceiling, if you still don't get promoted that year and you cannot figure out why, straightaway apply open posting in that same year. This is especially important for GEO3 because the ceiling is quite low. Average and above-average performing officers should NOT be dragged for 6, 7, even 8 years at GEO3, it is a disservice to them.

If there is no clear reason why you didn't get promoted (bad performance, disciplinary issues, did not clearly express your aspirations during work review, etc), it probably just means that you are a poor cultural fit in the school and/or the school can't be bothered to fight for your advancement and progression. So, change environment. Go to another school, or HQ, or academies.

All the best!

Unregistered 28-03-2020 11:00 AM

Thoughts on this career progression? I'm not sure if it's fast, slow or average. I'm female if that helps.

Jul 2015: finished PGDE at NIE, started teaching in school
2016: GEO2 (C plus)
April 2017: batch promotion to GEO3 (C)
2018: GEO3 (B).
Left school for HQ via open posting, started at HQ in 2019
2019: Entered HQ, GEO3 (B)
2020: got news of promotion to GEO4

Unregistered 28-03-2020 12:05 PM

Promotion

Hi, how much is the increment from GEO 2 to GEO 3? Will I be able to earn as much as my degree peers?