Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

shiny7 26-11-2013 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 45643)
Allied educator means teacher's kah kia / helper. Help real teachers do their admin work, the stuff they don't want to do and all the extra sai kang.

Also i think some allied educators handle the special assistance students. Not too sure on that part but mainly their jobs is to be the teacher's assistant.

i think you got my question wrong. or maybe i phrased it wrongly.

i am very passionate about this position and i know what it entails. my question actually was what does it mean when i've cleared the interview and have to submit my documents. does this mean i got the job? or is there a chance i don't get it?

thanks for your reply anyway.

Unregistered 26-11-2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiny7 (Post 45620)
hello can anyone help me?

i went for an allied educator interview and was told that i cleared the interview and had to submit supporting documents. but they said it's all still subject to contract..

anyone else in this position? or anyone knows what it means?

Means you probably got the job and they are preparing your contract.

Unregistered 26-11-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiny7 (Post 45620)
hello can anyone help me?

i went for an allied educator interview and was told that i cleared the interview and had to submit supporting documents. but they said it's all still subject to contract..

anyone else in this position? or anyone knows what it means?

Unregistered 26-11-2013 10:05 AM

Wah double confirmation. Alas it is not from MOE itself :-(

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 45676)

shiny7 26-11-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 45678)
Wah double confirmation. Alas it is not from MOE itself :-(

yeah true. can never be too sure right.. heard some still didn't get the job in the last minute so i'm not putting too much hopes into this yet.

Unregistered 26-11-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 45569)
If you have good perf grade and CEP, probably a few years from geo1.1 to a1. BT are given that term for a reason; you are just starting out in the education line and need time to hone your professional expertise.

After that, it really depends on your perf grade over the years. Generally consistent A and B indicate the officer is able to handle the expectations at the next grade. As you climb up higher, you need more time before the next promotion generally.

hmmm but are BTs usually given C in the first year? How do we know the CEP?

Unregistered 29-11-2013 06:20 AM

grade and CEP

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 45691)
hmmm but are BTs usually given C in the first year? How do we know the CEP?

You won't know your CEP. It's supposed to be confidential and only your superiors know.

Usually a new officer would get around C, because the officer is just starting out in his work, so it is unlikely that the officer has the abilities or skill set required at the next level. There are always exceptions; for a super low performing or high performing officer will probably deviate from that grade.

New PGDE Teacher 16-12-2013 09:02 PM

Contract teaching before NIE training?

Hi all,

I was recently selected for appointment as an untrained teacher (GEO 1.2) for 1 to 1.5 years. According to my offer letter, I will be considered for teacher training at the next available intake before the end of the 1 to 1.5 year contract subject to good work performance and conduct in the school.

Given my unfamiliarity with the system, can anyone help me with the following queries?

1) What is my job scope as an untrained teacher?

2) How will I be assessed throughout the period before training commences?

2) Am I eligible for the benefits entitled by trained teachers?

3) Is such a contract the norm for those who applied for a PGDE?

4) What is the difference between a GEO 1 and a GEO 1.2 scale?

Apologies for the silly questions but I slightly at wits end here!

Thank you very much for any future replies!

Unregistered 22-12-2013 02:58 PM

PDGE intake Oct/ Nov

I went for the interview in November. Last week, i have received an email from MOE saying that i have cleared my interview and shortlisted for employment as GEO. the email stated my application will be considered in competition with other shortlisted candidates. I wonder what does that mean? :-

- anyone encountered this before, can share? what is the % to pass through this?
- i have a bad feeling that i am probably kept as a backup just in case any of the selected candidates gave up.

thanks in advance!

liveinsg 23-12-2013 11:35 AM

It is my dream job.

Unregistered 28-12-2013 10:14 PM

Does anyone know how much (in percentage) will annual increments be for GEO1A2

Shan 06-01-2014 07:04 PM

I've actually received the same email from MOE, saying that my application is shortlisted and in competition with the rest of the candidates.

I'm staying positive and assuming that it is because it's year end, and they're not able to clear all the applications. And since they do not want to "lose" us, they're keeping us updated!

Cross fingers ya!

All the best!

Graduating student 15-01-2014 04:15 PM

:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 34236)
Everything got risk and reward. If you sign up with MOE with the intention of running off when complete masters, the reward will of course be a free education and job stability in the process so that you can study in peace.

Got high risk also. First off, very hard to compete in other industry. For e.g. if your masters is material sciences and you want to apply for a R&D job in a high tech MNC, you will need to compete with others who are younger, have worked in industry competitors, similar industrial attachment or internal people who studied while working within the company. You will be like an old freshie with no relevant exp, possible but difficult.

There is also the stigma of pte sector against civil servant. Sometimes it is justified as the culture difference is big and most people who switch from public to pte have problems settling in. Based on experience this is a big disadvantage during interview as they will usually ask question like why they should take the risk to hire you. Little you can do to convince except say the usual thing like you are flexible, willing to learn, can work hard etc etc

Big pay cut. By the time you finish your bond you will be making about 4.5k+, unlikely that pte sector can match your pay. Depending on the industry and company, starting pay for masters freshies can range from 2.5 - 4k. When you are young, pay cut might seem like no big deal. But by late 20s usually you will have bf/gf, thinking of settling down, getting car, getting house, going on frequent holiday etc, by then a 1k pay cut is no joke for sure.

At the end of the day, depend on whether you want to take the risk. Many people have same plan like you sign up SAF, Police want to get free education and lobo but when the time comes to quit, they unwilling or unable because of above factors. Think carefully and walk in with eyes open.

My advice is if you join MOE, be prepared to be a normal teacher for the rest of your life and treat any promotion to HOD/VP/P as a bonus. Dun join with the hope or expectation to get real promotion climb ladder etc, this is just setting up yourself for disappointment.

Hello there managed to unearth this valuable piece of advice while looking through. I just want to say thank you for giving this advice, it's honest and straightforward.

DenSher 04-02-2014 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shan (Post 47047)
I've actually received the same email from MOE, saying that my application is shortlisted and in competition with the rest of the candidates.

I'm staying positive and assuming that it is because it's year end, and they're not able to clear all the applications. And since they do not want to "lose" us, they're keeping us updated!

Cross fingers ya!

All the best!

Hi Shan, I'm Densher. I too, applied for a teacher post. I submitted my application about 3 weeks ago but no news. May I know how long they took from your application to calling you up for an interview?

Many thanks!

DenSher

Unregistered 04-02-2014 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenSher (Post 47879)
Hi Shan, I'm Densher. I too, applied for a teacher post. I submitted my application about 3 weeks ago but no news. May I know how long they took from your application to calling you up for an interview?

Many thanks!

DenSher

What are your qualifications? mid-career change or fresh grad?

Unregistered 04-02-2014 11:45 PM

I had a friend who went to the MP to chase MOE. So I think that's one way to do it. Probably gonna chastise them that the elections will be coming soon and more can be done for residents of the ward.

Unregistered 05-02-2014 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 47894)
I had a friend who went to the MP to chase MOE. So I think that's one way to do it. Probably gonna chastise them that the elections will be coming soon and more can be done for residents of the ward.

haha. You can probably expedite the reply. But, you can never change the outcomes. thing about applying to be a teacher with MOE is that they too must liaise back with NIE/NTU to accept you for their teaching degree/diploma. And NTU/NIE being pretty much unwavering institutions, you might just face a rejection.

Densher 07-02-2014 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 47888)
What are your qualifications? mid-career change or fresh grad?

Hi,

I'll be graduating from UniSim in a few months time. I major and minor in teaching subjects cos I intend to apply to be a moe teacher.

I actually applied for a teacher post few years ago but was rejected and applied for the allied educator position instead. I was selected and worked as an AED for 4 years.

I suppose with a degree and 4 years of teaching experience, I would be a better candidate for their selection. Besides, I had experience setting exam papers and conducting independent classroom teaching in the school.

However, this is already the 5th week and I haven't received any calls. I am really disheartened.

What should I do?

Densher

Unregistered 02-03-2014 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 46727)
Does anyone know how much (in percentage) will annual increments be for GEO1A2

The percentage increment is based on your performance grade.
For a B grader, it's 4% thereabout.

Unregistered 04-03-2014 10:46 PM

may i know how long will it take for a female education officer to promote from GEO1.1 to GEO 1A1? And is it normal for GEO 1.1 to be getting C for first year grading ?

Unregistered 25-03-2014 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 48902)
may i know how long will it take for a female education officer to promote from GEO1.1 to GEO 1A1? And is it normal for GEO 1.1 to be getting C for first year grading ?

It depends. By theory, you can get promoted once you are confirmed (i.e. after the first yr) I got promoted after 1yr 10months. However, I know of colleagues who only promoted after 2.5 to 3 yrs.

sunshinecafe 01-06-2014 06:15 PM

Anyone has experience with international schools like CNIS? I am referring to private international schools. Are they the same as govt schools in terms of welfare, workload and salary?

I am a mechanical engineer who by chance got a job to teach for A Level physics and maths in China. It has been 2 years already and I love the environment here. Just prepare your lessons, and deliver the lessons, mark some class tests and homeworks and that's it. No admin, no extra CCAs, but the career prospect is definitely not that high. But I am currently planning for some back ups just in case I need to return back to sg.

So far, I understand to teach in many of the schs, I need at least PGDE. But I don't want to be bonded. So the fees is like 20k and I need to study in Sg. So I was wondering if those international schools accept PGCE? A distance diploma offered by UK which I can do anywhere. I do have TEFL; I am still thinking whether I should get TESOL.

My worst(maybe best) scenario I have planned is that I will be doing lots of private tutoring to get a decent pay, and the pay is not even stable. But tutoring is like you have to work during the hours when your family and friends are free for gatherings. Correct me if I am wrong.

It will be good if I can get as many advice as I can. :)

RedOrangeYellow 12-07-2014 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 47899)
haha. You can probably expedite the reply. But, you can never change the outcomes. thing about applying to be a teacher with MOE is that they too must liaise back with NIE/NTU to accept you for their teaching degree/diploma. And NTU/NIE being pretty much unwavering institutions, you might just face a rejection.

You're saying it is possible for a candidate to have passed the writing/presentation/interview with flying colors and he/she may still fail at the NIE admissions criteria intake?!

Unregistered 14-10-2014 05:32 PM

El ept

Hi, I'm new here. Anyone can offer advise on how to prepare for the EL EPT which I'm schedule to take next month ?

Unregistered 16-10-2014 11:07 AM

i'm a local uni grad with second upper honours. around 1 year of work experience so far. been considering making the switch to teaching, either gp or social studies/history/english.

i think i'd enjoy the teaching part (as with most aspiring teachers), but reading through forums and various blog posts online, the non-teaching aspect of the job seems like a huge bummer.

out of these i'm most concerned with the burnout/being overworked than anything else.

so my question is, how bad is it, really?

i don't mind staying late occasionally during busy periods but if the norm is to work from 7am to 8pm everyday then i'd think twice.

do teachers really have to burn EVERY saturday (even half day) for cca? from my secondary school days i remember the teacher wasn't around every saturday when we had cca meetings/activities.

are school holidays always burnt and how much protected time is truly protected?

the lack of 'prospects' in terms of money and corporate ladder climbing isn't that huge an issue for me. i'm not the most ambitious or competitive person...i'm just looking for a job where i can find some form of satisfaction/enjoyment and where i get sufficient time outside of work to have a life pursuing my personal interests.

Unregistered 16-10-2014 03:46 PM

I have a poly classmate who went to uni subsequently and worked in the private sector before going into teaching. He always complained to me about his teaching job. He feels underpaid (when compared to his peers) and unappreciated, long hours, heavy responsibility. He typically start his day at 5.30 am and ends at about 10 pm during week days. Besides teaching and CCA, he has to do planning, set and mark papers when he gets home. Every Saturday is a half day job as well. And the discipline problems from some students and parents' complaints. He missed his days in the private sector but he find it hard to get back in after six years as a teacher.
So you have to honestly ask yourself what you want from teaching. I guess one needs to have a very strong conviction and passion if he wants to choose this path. Bear in mind, there is a 3 year bond to sign and penalty to pay if one breaks the bond, unlike in the private sector when you serve and one month notice and still get paid before you say bye bye. So, thinking carefully...

Unregistered 16-10-2014 05:12 PM

How much does a assistant teacher get paid at a childcare centre.

My qualifications is a local uni degree, with 2 years working experience.

Unregistered 16-10-2014 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 57767)
I have a poly classmate who went to uni subsequently and worked in the private sector before going into teaching. He always complained to me about his teaching job. He feels underpaid (when compared to his peers) and unappreciated, long hours, heavy responsibility. He typically start his day at 5.30 am and ends at about 10 pm during week days. Besides teaching and CCA, he has to do planning, set and mark papers when he gets home. Every Saturday is a half day job as well. And the discipline problems from some students and parents' complaints. He missed his days in the private sector but he find it hard to get back in after six years as a teacher.
So you have to honestly ask yourself what you want from teaching. I guess one needs to have a very strong conviction and passion if he wants to choose this path. Bear in mind, there is a 3 year bond to sign and penalty to pay if one breaks the bond, unlike in the private sector when you serve and one month notice and still get paid before you say bye bye. So, thinking carefully...

530am to 10pm is insane. you sure that's a typical day? eek.

Unregistered 18-10-2014 11:33 PM

On weekdays, he wakes up at 5.30 am, be in school by 6.45am, teach until about 2 pm if no remedial lessons else finish lessons around 4 pm. He has to attend school / department /level meetings in the afternoon or meet parents to hear complaints or meet students for counseling. Leave school around 5.30 pm to go home. If go home earlier, will kanna mark unless approved for special reasons. After dinner, he starts marking scripts, then prepare lessons and work sheets for students or set test questions until 10 pm. He told me his principal and HOD are very particular on everything even students' files and especially about the standard of the work sheets and questions and conduct checks on all the teachers. I supposed its KPI. On Saturday, back in school for CCA in the morning. Sometimes he has to bring students to attend activities during weekend afternoon or even evening. On Saturday nights, he marks scripts, prepare lessons and work sheets for next Monday. Only Sunday he gets to rest finally. No wonder he laments that 2 young teachers resigned after the bond is served recently. For him, he is in his 40s, he asked me where can he go. I supposed it also depends on one's luck.

Unregistered 18-10-2014 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 57851)
On weekdays, he wakes up at 5.30 am, be in school by 6.45am, teach until about 2 pm if no remedial lessons else finish lessons around 4 pm. He has to attend school / department /level meetings in the afternoon or meet parents to hear complaints or meet students for counseling. Leave school around 5.30 pm to go home. If go home earlier, will kanna mark unless approved for special reasons. After dinner, he starts marking scripts, then prepare lessons and work sheets for students or set test questions until 10 pm. He told me his principal and HOD are very particular on everything even students' files and especially about the standard of the work sheets and questions and conduct checks on all the teachers. I supposed its KPI. On Saturday, back in school for CCA in the morning. Sometimes he has to bring students to attend activities during weekend afternoon or even evening. On Saturday nights, he marks scripts, prepare lessons and work sheets for next Monday. Only Sunday he gets to rest finally. No wonder he laments that 2 young teachers resigned after the bond is served recently. For him, he is in his 40s, he asked me where can he go. I supposed it also depends on one's luck.

the way u describe,i feel the pace is quite alright. worksheet are quite standard afterall.
test qns also not that frequent and usually can use ten year series or past year papers isnt it. years ago in skool, ive seen teacher marking papers whenever they could during class lessons when they give us some qns to try on. marking papers are pretty standard also. if hes efficient enough, he should be able to finish everything he has on hand in skool by 630 and then go home, rather than bringing his work back home

Unregistered 18-10-2014 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 57852)
the way u describe,i feel the pace is quite alright. worksheet are quite standard afterall.
test qns also not that frequent and usually can use ten year series or past year papers isnt it. years ago in skool, ive seen teacher marking papers whenever they could during class lessons when they give us some qns to try on. marking papers are pretty standard also. if hes efficient enough, he should be able to finish everything he has on hand in skool by 630 and then go home, rather than bringing his work back home

Precisely. It is just your friend who is unable to utilize his time properly. poor time management dude.

Unregistered 20-10-2014 04:00 PM

From the many years that I know him as classmate, I don't think he is. He told me afternoons are usually occupied with endless meetings with his bosses and peers, if not with students or parents. He's not stupid either, 1st Cass Honours (BEng) working as an engineering manager in US MNC before he joins teaching.

Well I am outsider, wouldn't want to comment further. There are many information available and talk to ex-teachers, they will not hide because they already resigned.

://sgforums.com/forums/3317/topics/399609

Unregistered 21-10-2014 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 57753)
i'm a local uni grad with second upper honours. around 1 year of work experience so far. been considering making the switch to teaching, either gp or social studies/history/english.

i think i'd enjoy the teaching part (as with most aspiring teachers), but reading through forums and various blog posts online, the non-teaching aspect of the job seems like a huge bummer.

out of these i'm most concerned with the burnout/being overworked than anything else.

so my question is, how bad is it, really?

i don't mind staying late occasionally during busy periods but if the norm is to work from 7am to 8pm everyday then i'd think twice.

do teachers really have to burn EVERY saturday (even half day) for cca? from my secondary school days i remember the teacher wasn't around every saturday when we had cca meetings/activities.

are school holidays always burnt and how much protected time is truly protected?

the lack of 'prospects' in terms of money and corporate ladder climbing isn't that huge an issue for me. i'm not the most ambitious or competitive person...i'm just looking for a job where i can find some form of satisfaction/enjoyment and where i get sufficient time outside of work to have a life pursuing my personal interests.

Anyone else care to chime in on this topic?

Unregistered 21-10-2014 05:50 PM

It honestly depends on the person. Firstly, you have to remove this idea that teaching is somehow a 'career'. It is not. Teaching is a passion. There is no reward, you do this because you WANT to, there should be no other reason. Those who burn out usually have different expectations, they want to teach because they want some material reward, it doesnt work like that. Teaching is the reward in itself. If you dont find that appealing, then dont try at all. If you want to be rewarded, dont join MOE, there are many private tuition centers that pay good money.

Secondly, teaching is difficult. You may get dumped into a lousy school where you may have to deal with divorced parents, children from poor homes, most of the time, you will be doing some sort of damage control instead of teaching. If this is not what you want, you can try aiming for JC level teaching. However, from what I know, only those with good academic credentials, ie FCH or second upper, are allowed to teach in JC. Not only that, your degree has to be related. If not, you will start from secondary school and work your way up.

At the end of the day, try not to break your bond. If you really cannot tahan, get some pills. Work your way until you finish your bond. I've met alot of teachers that break their bond. Its a bloody stupid move. But in such high stress situations, not many people can think straight.

Unregistered 23-10-2014 04:22 AM

Ite or Moe

I am an ex MOE teacher thinking of returning to teaching.Recently I was offered a lecturing job at ITE.However,I am contemplating of taking up flexi-adjunct teaching instead of the lecturer job.If you were me,which would you choose?In a dilemma right now......

Unregistered 23-10-2014 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 58021)
I am an ex MOE teacher thinking of returning to teaching.Recently I was offered a lecturing job at ITE.However,I am contemplating of taking up flexi-adjunct teaching instead of the lecturer job.If you were me,which would you choose?In a dilemma right now......

The issue with being an adjunct lecturer is that the total pay is much lower even though the hourly rate seems high. You will also be at the mercy of the timetable planner - the worst possibility is to work 5 days a week with semi-long breaks between classes on each day.

Unregistered 23-10-2014 09:54 AM

Yes I definitely agree with the writer. It's a passion, nothing else. Teaching is only 40% of the job, the rest is events organizer that starts with meetings and meetings, "damage control" like what the writer mentioned, dealing with unreasonable parents, etc. If you are going after money, it's the wrong place, especially if you are young and ambitious. Somehow and for some reasons, there are more children with family problems these days, may be due to our high stress society? This is even evident in the elite schools where some students are very bright and scored high in PSLE, got admitted but they cannot perform when they are in secondary schools due to parents divorce, fight, debt problems, etc. This was shared by someone I know. So teachers have to come in to solve the problem....to ensure those bright kids do well in schools and don't fall through the cracks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 57964)
It honestly depends on the person. Firstly, you have to remove this idea that teaching is somehow a 'career'. It is not. Teaching is a passion. There is no reward, you do this because you WANT to, there should be no other reason. Those who burn out usually have different expectations, they want to teach because they want some material reward, it doesnt work like that. Teaching is the reward in itself. If you dont find that appealing, then dont try at all. If you want to be rewarded, dont join MOE, there are many private tuition centers that pay good money.

Secondly, teaching is difficult. You may get dumped into a lousy school where you may have to deal with divorced parents, children from poor homes, most of the time, you will be doing some sort of damage control instead of teaching. If this is not what you want, you can try aiming for JC level teaching. However, from what I know, only those with good academic credentials, ie FCH or second upper, are allowed to teach in JC. Not only that, your degree has to be related. If not, you will start from secondary school and work your way up.

At the end of the day, try not to break your bond. If you really cannot tahan, get some pills. Work your way until you finish your bond. I've met alot of teachers that break their bond. Its a bloody stupid move. But in such high stress situations, not many people can think straight.

Unregistered 23-10-2014 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 58029)
Yes I definitely agree with the writer. It's a passion, nothing else. Teaching is only 40% of the job, the rest is events organizer that starts with meetings and meetings, "damage control" like what the writer mentioned, dealing with unreasonable parents, etc. If you are going after money, it's the wrong place, especially if you are young and ambitious. Somehow and for some reasons, there are more children with family problems these days, may be due to our high stress society? This is even evident in the elite schools where some students are very bright and scored high in PSLE, got admitted but they cannot perform when they are in secondary schools due to parents divorce, fight, debt problems, etc. This was shared by someone I know. So teachers have to come in to solve the problem....to ensure those bright kids do well in schools and don't fall through the cracks.

i'm young but not ambitious in the corporate sense. i enjoy teaching (or at least think I would based on cca and experience giving tuition). but i'm worried about burning weekends/holidays and bringing work home and working till late. occasionally is fine, but if it's a standard occurrence then I'd think twice.

Unregistered 23-10-2014 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 58021)

If you are an experienced MOE teacher before, you will likely find the pay offered by ITE below your last drawn salary.

ITE generally pays 3-4k for lecturer (those with <10 yrs relevant exp) and 4-5k for senior lecturer (those above 10 yrs relevant exp). However the food thing with teaching in ITE compared to normal MOE school teacher is workload is less stressful, working hours OK dun really need to bring work home and very little need to customer service with pesky parents.

Also the type of people who teach at ITE vs secondary/JC/poly is quite different, you must be able to get along with your colleagues otherwise work life can be quite miserable.

Unregistered 28-10-2014 02:28 AM

My advise is you have to ask yourself if you are prepared to make sacrifices for something that you believed in. If you go in with the correct mindset and mentally ready to adjust your lifestyle for a cause that you are passionate about, you will be fine. Otherwise life may be miserable and add one more headcount to those who break bond or resign immediately after serving the bond. There are some in every batch of fresh NIE graduates. I have seen 2 in 3 resigned from one batch once. Those who resign will lament that they "lost" 4 good years of working experience because teachers' experience are in general not considered for "additional" starting pay in the private sector.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 58030)
i'm young but not ambitious in the corporate sense. i enjoy teaching (or at least think I would based on cca and experience giving tuition). but i'm worried about burning weekends/holidays and bringing work home and working till late. occasionally is fine, but if it's a standard occurrence then I'd think twice.