Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 26-11-2022 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 235747)
I heard school promotion board cannot raise offocers' CEP beyond P6. If one wants cep to be raised then one needs to go HQ. is that true? Heard from.some that officers go through HQ would have thei cep raised
Is that true?

Well… P6 has a very wide range. If I'm not wrong, it includes a P6(H) - superscale (VP) level.

There are a fair number of school leaders who've never had a HQ posting - so clearly, CEP can be raised beyond P6 without a HQ posting. Just that the number of people privy to such details will be really small (school leaders only?); don't know if any of them would be commenting on this forum ;)

Unregistered 28-11-2022 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 235660)
Maybe in the past, when NIE fresh grad salary among top 10 starting salaries for fresh uni grads.

These days, other professions have overtaken by leaps and bounds. Really not hard to find jobs which pay equal or better (provided that you know how to market yourself).

Nowadays, its also that many jobs in the private sector have at least 2-3 days work from home each week.

So its not just the pay comparison. For schools, not only do we not have work from home option, but they also even expect us to "dress up", aka no more jeans, from next year onwards.

Unregistered 30-11-2022 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 235956)
For schools, not only do we not have work from home option, but they also even expect us to "dress up", aka no more jeans, from next year onwards.

Got such rule????

Unregistered 01-12-2022 01:40 AM

not true

There are many schools which
- start at 8am
- no work on weekends
- generous protected time
- casual wear on all days
- flexible WFH on days / times with no lessons

Unregistered 01-12-2022 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 236183)
- start at 8am
- no work on weekends

Kindly intro thanks

Unregistered 01-12-2022 04:07 PM

Quote:

- start at 8am
- no work on weekends

Please let us know which schools

Unregistered 02-12-2022 07:20 AM

Quote:

- start at 8am
- no work on weekends

Likely are exceptions rather than the norm. Not specified anywhere in any guidelines so it’s up to P’s discretion.

Unregistered 02-12-2022 07:48 AM

Was curious about how many PGS and PGAs get awarded every year? Heard they are really competitive

Unregistered 02-12-2022 11:25 AM

Teaching is a joke of a profession, only morons will take up such a job, which explains why most of my teachers were morons.

Unregistered 02-12-2022 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 236294)
Teaching is a joke of a profession, only morons will take up such a job, which explains why most of my teachers were morons.

Im sure they were. Explains why u ended up like this.

Unregistered 02-12-2022 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 236316)
Im sure they were. Explains why u ended up like this.

Imagine the kind of retards who would work such long hours in a boring job teaching the same worthless curriculum for years on end for **** pay.

Unregistered 02-12-2022 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 236117)
Got such rule????

My sch is one of those. Next year, They want students to wear sch uniform so as a result, want teachers to also dress up

Unregistered 03-12-2022 12:59 PM

CONNECT 1st payout

Hi all, enquiring about CONNECT payout. I understand that it is paid at the end of 4th CONNECT year. I completed my practicum in 2020, which I understand is counted as year 0 as it is "not a full year of trained teaching". I also got a D grade that year which I'm not sure if it affects my CONNECT payout.

Anyways, based on my HRP it shows 1 CONNECT deposit which is in Dec 2021. I am expecting the same for Dec 2022 as well. Am I right to say that I will only be credited the 1st payout in Dec 2024? Thank in advance for those who can weigh in.

Unregistered 03-12-2022 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 236392)
Hi all, enquiring about CONNECT payout. I understand that it is paid at the end of 4th CONNECT year. I completed my practicum in 2020, which I understand is counted as year 0 as it is "not a full year of trained teaching". I also got a D grade that year which I'm not sure if it affects my CONNECT payout.

Anyways, based on my HRP it shows 1 CONNECT deposit which is in Dec 2021. I am expecting the same for Dec 2022 as well. Am I right to say that I will only be credited the 1st payout in Dec 2024? Thank in advance for those who can weigh in.

2021, 2022, 2023, 2024 - so yes, first payout in Dec 2024

also, how did you end up with a D?

Ur dad 03-12-2022 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 236321)
Imagine the kind of retards who would work such long hours in a boring job teaching the same worthless curriculum for years on end for **** pay.

Nice try buddy

Unregistered 05-12-2022 01:33 PM

I was wondering, when you change scheme eg. MX to EO or AED to EO, how is the MOE long service award counted for EO? Starting from the time you join MOE on MX/AED scheme or from the time you become EO? TIA

Unregistered 05-12-2022 06:49 PM

Not new to ranking exercise, but this year coupled with my midlife crisis it hit me really hard. Almost everybody below geo5 was working WAY above their pay grade. We had geo3 internally appointed SHs and AYHs, all jostling for As and Bs. Their work life balance is nonexistent and they are always being chased out by the OSO at 7pm. We have a geo4 HOD holding double portfolio because another HOD ragequit. We have young GEO5 (33yo) straddling 4 committees and 48 periods per week.

What is going on with our system? Why is it a requirement to work two or three grades above your subgrade and why are people being labelled poor team players with bad organisational awareness and being accused of "quiet quitting" if they just do their jobs and nothing more?

Unregistered 05-12-2022 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 236505)
I was wondering, when you change scheme eg. MX to EO or AED to EO, how is the MOE long service award counted for EO? Starting from the time you join MOE on MX/AED scheme or from the time you become EO? TIA

Civil service LSA counts from the time you became a civil servant. If you resign and rejoin then it resets. If you do lateral transfer but still remain a civil servant then the count continues.

Unregistered 05-12-2022 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 236520)
Not new to ranking exercise, but this year coupled with my midlife crisis it hit me really hard. Almost everybody below geo5 was working WAY above their pay grade. We had geo3 internally appointed SHs and AYHs, all jostling for As and Bs. Their work life balance is nonexistent and they are always being chased out by the OSO at 7pm. We have a geo4 HOD holding double portfolio because another HOD ragequit. We have young GEO5 (33yo) straddling 4 committees and 48 periods per week.

What is going on with our system? Why is it a requirement to work two or three grades above your subgrade and why are people being labelled poor team players with bad organisational awareness and being accused of "quiet quitting" if they just do their jobs and nothing more?

Because not everyone is working equally hard. So those who are willing are picking up the slack for those who aren’t.

Unregistered 05-12-2022 09:02 PM

Quote:

I'm one of those young GEO3 who works way above their subgrade. And yes I've no life. My skin has suffered too. It's been so bad since I started teaching, lack of sleep, eat whatever that's fast and convenient and not enough water becos I've no time to go toilet. I hold 3 positions, a CCA IC and sitting in 3 committees, with countless schoolwide events and projects. The GEO5s are telling me I'm too hardworking. I want to be like some of them too. They are basically classroom teachers with one small role.

But how can I slow down when my RO told me I need to do more, he is constantly putting me down. Even told me during work review that becos I didn't do as much as I should, I'm ranked at the bottom of my subgrade. I've been getting straight Bs until I changed to this RO. Now I'm a C+ but I still win awards every year though. While I thanked my HOD for these awards, she is also the one who overworked me. Sometimes I feel as though I need to show her that I'm not so reliable/capable, so she won't ask me to lead and spearhead this and that. So as much as I want to slow down and perform at my subgrade, I can't. How do you say no when your boss throws work at you and at the same time, your RO constantly reminds you at work review that you're not doing enough.

It's confusing and frustrating and I've had enough. I'm getting my very first connect plan payout next year and intend to tender my resignation right after. The amount of hours that I worked, weekdays, weekends and public holidays is ridiculous compared to my uni peers in other sectors.

Unregistered 06-12-2022 09:09 AM

Hi any fajt here can share the timeline of your application?

Unregistered 06-12-2022 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 236527)
Because not everyone is working equally hard. So those who are willing are picking up the slack for those who aren’t.

What about schools where everyone is pretty much meeting the expectations of their subgrade, and SLs have to fight tooth and nail to give no/minimal C-/D grades? Why does there always seem to be slack that needs to be picked up? Is it really slack, or have we normalised working way above your paygrade that nobody even bats an eyelid that a GEO3 is performing a subset of middle management duties.. and even envies his/her position?

Unregistered 06-12-2022 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 236559)
What about schools where everyone is pretty much meeting the expectations of their subgrade, and SLs have to fight tooth and nail to give no/minimal C-/D grades? Why does there always seem to be slack that needs to be picked up? Is it really slack, or have we normalised working way above your paygrade that nobody even bats an eyelid that a GEO3 is performing a subset of middle management duties.. and even envies his/her position?

If everyone is meeting the expectations of their sub grade, when SLs fighting tooth and nail to give no/minimal C-/D is just them doing their job, no?

GEO3 who are performing above their sub grade should indeed be rewarded with better performance grades. And as a result will probably get promoted sooner.

As part of the ranking panel, has the panel been fair in giving out performance grades to the GEO5s who are not meeting expectations? I think that’s the more important question.

Unregistered 06-12-2022 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 236531)
I'm one of those young GEO3 who works way above their subgrade. And yes I've no life. My skin has suffered too. It's been so bad since I started teaching, lack of sleep, eat whatever that's fast and convenient and not enough water becos I've no time to go toilet. I hold 3 positions, a CCA IC and sitting in 3 committees, with countless schoolwide events and projects. The GEO5s are telling me I'm too hardworking. I want to be like some of them too. They are basically classroom teachers with one small role.

But how can I slow down when my RO told me I need to do more, he is constantly putting me down. Even told me during work review that becos I didn't do as much as I should, I'm ranked at the bottom of my subgrade. I've been getting straight Bs until I changed to this RO. Now I'm a C+ but I still win awards every year though. While I thanked my HOD for these awards, she is also the one who overworked me. Sometimes I feel as though I need to show her that I'm not so reliable/capable, so she won't ask me to lead and spearhead this and that. So as much as I want to slow down and perform at my subgrade, I can't. How do you say no when your boss throws work at you and at the same time, your RO constantly reminds you at work review that you're not doing enough.

It's confusing and frustrating and I've had enough. I'm getting my very first connect plan payout next year and intend to tender my resignation right after. The amount of hours that I worked, weekdays, weekends and public holidays is ridiculous compared to my uni peers in other sectors.

Yea good choice. All the best. Hope u learn to pace urself n learn to say No in ur next job.

Unregistered 07-12-2022 09:08 AM

Anyone knows when CONNECT plan payout is given? Is it the same time as the dec salary due this Fri?

ezondeyes 07-12-2022 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 236531)

Hello batch mate! I feel you. I am also a GEO 3 consistently getting C. I am holding coordinatorship, am ICT advocate, am IC of a CCA, level rep, and am also involved in 2 other committees, including cockpit. My IP HOD just told me that I have been identified as a HP teacher and will begin training next year. The school has also decided to put 2 high needs children in my class next year. I am also considering quitting next year after taking connect plan.

Tired.

Unregistered 07-12-2022 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezondeyes (Post 236642)
identified as a HP teacher

Ah.. the beginning of the end. After a couple of years of having one to two more committee deployments than your peers, extra functional duties that pop up throughout the year, external collaborations, projects and duties, and perhaps even an internal KP appointment, your personal life will suffer, your physical health may suffer, your mental health may suffer, and when you survive.. you find that you are still GEO3.

The grass is literally greener on the other side.

Unregistered 07-12-2022 03:17 PM

Quote:

Hello batch mate! I feel you. I am also a GEO 3 consistently getting C. I am holding coordinatorship, am ICT advocate, am IC of a CCA, level rep, and am also involved in 2 other committees, including cockpit. My IP HOD just told me that I have been identified as a HP teacher and will begin training next year. The school has also decided to put 2 high needs children in my class next year. I am also considering quitting next year after taking connect plan.

Tired.

Don’t quit if you are offered SH position. KPs are offloaded from many duties and can concentrate on their own portfolio.

Unregistered 07-12-2022 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 236645)
Don’t quit if you are offered SH position. KPs are offloaded from many duties and can concentrate on their own portfolio.

GEO3 can only be internally appointed. Means no offloading.

Unregistered 08-12-2022 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 236629)
Anyone knows when CONNECT plan payout is given? Is it the same time as the dec salary due this Fri?

Separate, at least back in 2019. My CONNECT statement that year included this line:

"The cash amount of $XYZ will be credited into your bank account on 19 DEC 2019."

Unregistered 08-12-2022 08:01 AM

Quote:

My IP HOD just told me that I have been identified as a HP teacher and will begin training next year.

What is a HP teacher? High ability class? And what training will you receive?

Unregistered 08-12-2022 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 236680)

Let teacher feel good only. The only real HiPo officers are overseas scholars.

Unregistered 08-12-2022 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 236680)

Schools way of milking officers to do moreor less. The real hipo programme will be FLP which few will gain entry to

Unregistered 08-12-2022 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 236729)
Schools way of milking officers to do moreor less. The real hipo programme will be FLP which few will gain entry to

Yup, aside from overseas scholars, trying to get a non-scholar, TA or TS into FLP is enigmatic. Even pushing the officer to a P6 CEP and a streak of good perf grades before age 30/before 5 YOE does not guarantee it. Some get in, some don't. A lot of other hidden variables at play that us EOs will never know.

Unregistered 09-12-2022 07:40 AM

Lol HODs think we stupid

Unregistered 09-12-2022 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 236629)

Last yr was 28 dec...

Unregistered 09-12-2022 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 236729)

To be fair, there are plenty of KP who take on appointments without being in (or even being aware of) FLP. Many of them, especially the younger ones, rose to where they were by being milked themselves (and exhibiting some capability in the process).

Unregistered 09-12-2022 10:46 AM

After reading the previous 2 pages here, I have some advice/information for the younger ones (<35 years old). These are also purely based on my observations over the last 15-20 years, so please feel free to disagree or add on.

There was a period of time where we were LACKING teachers (sounds totally incredulous in our current climate haha) and recruitment numbers were crazy high. Hence the bar was much much lower and it was quite easy to get hired. I even heard from a HR personnel that a lump sum was paid to attract new hires. It was also assumed that this large group of new hires had less impressive portfolios. This group of people are probably mostly Gen X, or even boomers (for mid career hires).

Fast forward to this current period - from 2015 onwards, many of the above-mentioned group are currently KPs, STs or GEO5s. For those 15-20 years, this group enjoyed good annual increments, adjustments every 3-4 years and fast promotions (once every 2 to 3 years). In fact, new KP positions were created not only to handle new forms of workload, but also to create positions for this group of people to progress. A KP said that even the ST track quickly became overdeveloped and saturated.

As for the GEO5s who did not make it to KPship or STship, they hit their salary ceilings very early. Many do not bother about increments or performance grades anymore, because there is hardly any point to it since they have reached their ceilings. They will never resign either, because their age and skillset are no longer attractive to other employers. Staying on to just do minimal work is the ideal retirement route. Hence, the trend of them rejecting extra workload began.

Where do these extra workload go to? Newly hired GEO2s and 3s. Hence, the bar for good performance and promotion started rising. If you want to progress faster, you have to shoulder more workload from the school and your RO.

What to do now that there are too many GEO5s and higher? System has become too top heavy. Promotion rates decrease. Annual increments decrease to slow down people from hitting the ceiling too quickly (in 2020, the reason for this was COVID. But as of today, it seems to be silently made permanent).

What to do now that student population is falling and schools are merging? Slash recruitment, raise the bar for new hires. If you wish to resign, no one will dissuade you and it is processed much more quickly (unlike in the past).

At this point, you realise that many issues regarding performance, promotions or workload is no longer just a school-wide (localised) phenomenon, but have evolved to become system-wide.

How do many exhausted GEO2s and 3s respond? Reject extra workload as well. Quiet quit. Resign and look for jobs with better work-life balance. There is a reason why statistically, the turnover rate for younger officers is much higher. Regardless of age and stage of life, your mental and physical health matters. Not only for yourself, but for your loved ones too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not telling you what to do and I'm not trying to blame any particular group of people here. But situations like COVID, cost cutting, rolling out of many new education policies within a short period, tech boom, quiet quitting, work-life balance and sudden inflation have all clashed between the ministry, the older group of officers and the younger group. A 3 way tug of war, each vying for their own self-interests...But assuming nothing changes and these continue, it's rather obvious who will lose out eventually by staying in the system...

To the younger officers, it can only be bad timing and bad luck. Take care of yourselves :)

Unregistered 09-12-2022 03:16 PM

Quote:

This sounds terrible

Unregistered 09-12-2022 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 236785)
After reading the previous 2 pages here, I have some advice/information for the younger ones (<35 years old). These are also purely based on my observations over the last 15-20 years, so please feel free to disagree or add on.

There was a period of time where we were LACKING teachers (sounds totally incredulous in our current climate haha) and recruitment numbers were crazy high. Hence the bar was much much lower and it was quite easy to get hired. I even heard from a HR personnel that a lump sum was paid to attract new hires. It was also assumed that this large group of new hires had less impressive portfolios. This group of people are probably mostly Gen X, or even boomers (for mid career hires).

Fast forward to this current period - from 2015 onwards, many of the above-mentioned group are currently KPs, STs or GEO5s. For those 15-20 years, this group enjoyed good annual increments, adjustments every 3-4 years and fast promotions (once every 2 to 3 years). In fact, new KP positions were created not only to handle new forms of workload, but also to create positions for this group of people to progress. A KP said that even the ST track quickly became overdeveloped and saturated.

As for the GEO5s who did not make it to KPship or STship, they hit their salary ceilings very early. Many do not bother about increments or performance grades anymore, because there is hardly any point to it since they have reached their ceilings. They will never resign either, because their age and skillset are no longer attractive to other employers. Staying on to just do minimal work is the ideal retirement route. Hence, the trend of them rejecting extra workload began.

Where do these extra workload go to? Newly hired GEO2s and 3s. Hence, the bar for good performance and promotion started rising. If you want to progress faster, you have to shoulder more workload from the school and your RO.

What to do now that there are too many GEO5s and higher? System has become too top heavy. Promotion rates decrease. Annual increments decrease to slow down people from hitting the ceiling too quickly (in 2020, the reason for this was COVID. But as of today, it seems to be silently made permanent).

What to do now that student population is falling and schools are merging? Slash recruitment, raise the bar for new hires. If you wish to resign, no one will dissuade you and it is processed much more quickly (unlike in the past).

At this point, you realise that many issues regarding performance, promotions or workload is no longer just a school-wide (localised) phenomenon, but have evolved to become system-wide.

How do many exhausted GEO2s and 3s respond? Reject extra workload as well. Quiet quit. Resign and look for jobs with better work-life balance. There is a reason why statistically, the turnover rate for younger officers is much higher. Regardless of age and stage of life, your mental and physical health matters. Not only for yourself, but for your loved ones too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not telling you what to do and I'm not trying to blame any particular group of people here. But situations like COVID, cost cutting, rolling out of many new education policies within a short period, tech boom, quiet quitting, work-life balance and sudden inflation have all clashed between the ministry, the older group of officers and the younger group. A 3 way tug of war, each vying for their own self-interests...But assuming nothing changes and these continue, it's rather obvious who will lose out eventually by staying in the system...

To the younger officers, it can only be bad timing and bad luck. Take care of yourselves :)

Yes, you nailed it. I think most of the smarter young officers also know the reason for this. But it is also understandable for them to feel indignant because while it has become much, much more difficult to be hired as a teacher, or to receive a teaching(-related) scholarship today compared to 10-15 years ago, the average career prospects and relative salary growth prospects (if you consider the %s) are in fact at their all-time low.

More exclusive job, yet worse prospects once you get through the door. Reason? Born later.