Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 13-04-2019 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 116924)
First Class Honours - higher starting CEP
Distinction in practicum - higher starting CEP
Scholar - higher starting CEP

All others, CEP for a BT is GEO5

As someone who sat in the ranking panel and knows who’s scholar/distinction in practicum etc and who’s not, the above is absolute rubbish for my school. I know of scholars, masters/FCH whose CEP is at GEO5 for the first few years of their career.

Class of Honours only affects your starting pay. Everything else is dependent on on-the-job performance. If you ask me, your first year is the most important one because it sets your CEP for the first time. We were discouraged from adjusting CEP at whims because CEP should remain fairly constant unless you prove that you are able to perform in a different job scope (ie CCA/Committee IC/KP etc)

Unregistered 13-04-2019 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newbt (Post 116921)
Hello, I am a BT who just finished practicum in March this year. Could I ask any experienced RO here if my class of honours, any academic awards I've won in undergraduate or even my grade in pdge would have an effect on my cep. Thanks very much :)

I have known of someone who topped his cohort in nie as undergrad. Gotten a gold medal but resigned after his bond ended...

Unregistered 13-04-2019 11:16 AM

Were you promoted recently? When I last got promoted (Oct date), the following Apr increment was smaller than usual. It was explained to me that was due to the instrument already given in Oct of promotion year. Not sure if applicable to you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 116773)
Baffled by the tiny $80 increment this year, with a C grade. I received much larger merit increments before while much closer to the ceiling of my previous subgrade. Previous Cs were adding at least 150 while C+/B were giving over 200. What's the deal with this year?

Unregistered 13-04-2019 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 116895)
That’s absurd. I’ve never heard of a $10 increment before. Perhaps because hour perf grade is a D?

Got a C. Hit the ceiling.

Unregistered 14-04-2019 06:03 PM

Cep

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 116934)
As someone who sat in the ranking panel and knows who’s scholar/distinction in practicum etc and who’s not, the above is absolute rubbish for my school. I know of scholars, masters/FCH whose CEP is at GEO5 for the first few years of their career.

Class of Honours only affects your starting pay. Everything else is dependent on on-the-job performance. If you ask me, your first year is the most important one because it sets your CEP for the first time. We were discouraged from adjusting CEP at whims because CEP should remain fairly constant unless you prove that you are able to perform in a different job scope (ie CCA/Committee IC/KP etc)

You are naive to think that just because you sit in ranking panel and decide CEP as a panel, the CEP that you give is the actual CEP of scholars/FCH ... SLs mask the actual CEP of high graders.. so rumours will not spread.. .. they adjust it after the ranking panel decision..

Unregistered 14-04-2019 08:41 PM

Salary adjustment

Wonder when will the Gov look into MOE salary adjustment.

Unregistered 14-04-2019 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 117001)
You are naive to think that just because you sit in ranking panel and decide CEP as a panel, the CEP that you give is the actual CEP of scholars/FCH ... SLs mask the actual CEP of high graders.. so rumours will not spread.. .. they adjust it after the ranking panel decision..

That explains why some teachers hit GEO 5 within 5 years after graduating from nie..

Unregistered 14-04-2019 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 117004)
Wonder when will the Gov look into MOE salary adjustment.

Dun think they will adjust.. There have been reports that teachers are well paid already... Just that it adjusted in 2011 and 2015 election year, can't count on it that they will adjust this year.

Unregistered 14-04-2019 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 117006)
That explains why some teachers hit GEO 5 within 5 years after graduating from nie..

You are right. It's because they are scholars or FCH. I recently found out that FCH are considered to be on par with the average scholars. They are given more opportunities and thus get promoted faster too. Their CEP is usually superscale.

Unregistered 15-04-2019 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 117001)

Are you a School Leader?