Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 15-04-2019 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 116944)
Were you promoted recently? When I last got promoted (Oct date), the following Apr increment was smaller than usual. It was explained to me that was due to the instrument already given in Oct of promotion year. Not sure if applicable to you.

Was promoted to GEO5 in April 2018. I know what you're referring to as my first promotion was in Oct of some years ago, and the following April increment was pea-sized. This year's is weird though!

Unregistered 15-04-2019 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 117001)
You are naive to think that just because you sit in ranking panel and decide CEP as a panel, the CEP that you give is the actual CEP of scholars/FCH ... SLs mask the actual CEP of high graders.. so rumours will not spread.. .. they adjust it after the ranking panel decision..

This sounds very shady but at least from what I've seen in limited scope (junior KP in a school), the actual grade given to JHs can be wildly different from what was decided by the panel. In essence- When stuff is submitted upwards, those looking at them have a lot of say in whether the decisions stand or not and can veto them at whim.

Unregistered 16-04-2019 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 117006)
That explains why some teachers hit GEO 5 within 5 years after graduating from nie..

I did so in almost 5 years (entered trained service at GEO2 ceiling June XX, GEO5 April XX+5), I thought it was pretty easy if you actually made your work visible. Of course I don't mean just throwing words and fluff, I mean you do the good work that all/most teachers do, but also boost your visibility and profile to people who make decisions on your advancement. I'm not saying that this is the only way to do it, and I'm not dissing people who don't because they prioritise different things in their work life. But there's no sense in some people complaining about stagnation when they keep a low profile and work in a risk averse manner.

Unregistered 16-04-2019 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 117083)
I did so in almost 5 years (entered trained service at GEO2 ceiling June XX, GEO5 April XX+5), I thought it was pretty easy if you actually made your work visible. Of course I don't mean just throwing words and fluff, I mean you do the good work that all/most teachers do, but also boost your visibility and profile to people who make decisions on your advancement. I'm not saying that this is the only way to do it, and I'm not dissing people who don't because they prioritise different things in their work life. But there's no sense in some people complaining about stagnation when they keep a low profile and work in a risk averse manner.

Are u a mid career teacher? Did u do contract teaching?

Unregistered 16-04-2019 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 117086)
Are u a mid career teacher? Did u do contract teaching?

Not a mid career. Local scholar, did normal 4 year undergrad in local uni. Did one overseas pre-service Masters and another part-time Masters during first few years of service (self-funded, education related, declared only after graduation). Due to late return from overseas, did not do contract teaching before entering NIE.

Could also be school's culture towards staff career advancement. Was promoted alongside a non-scholar with 6.5 years of trained service. Apparently, that is also considered fast, but seems like the norm in my school.

Unregistered 16-04-2019 12:56 PM

Progression from GEO4 to GEO5 , it's been 6 years

Hi,

I guess my story maybe an interesting case to some but any advice will be appreciated.

In summary,

2012 Promoted to GEO4
SH (Covering) 2012-2013
2013 - Quit MOE for Independent Sch at GEO4 scale.
2013-2019 - Teaching Post in new independent sch as a direct hire.
Performance grades has been a mix between C to C+ and has won the school's OCA at least twice but still at GEO4

I do ask my RO directly, but sadly the RO isn't much of an effective RO and himself a marked man for non performance.

Is this normal per say? I kinda feel like I have been marked or stagnated here and am pondering of options elsewhere.

Thank u

Unregistered 16-04-2019 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 117107)
Hi,

I guess my story maybe an interesting case to some but any advice will be appreciated.

In summary,

2012 Promoted to GEO4
SH (Covering) 2012-2013
Performance grades has been a mix between C to C+ and has won the school's OCA at least twice but still at GEO4

I do ask my RO directly, but sadly the RO isn't much of an effective RO and himself a marked man for non performance.

Is this normal per say? I kinda feel like I have been marked or stagnated here and am pondering of options elsewhere.

Thank u

If you feel confident enough poking beyond the safety boundary, skip the chain of command and speak to a school leader. Result of this is that the other KPs will be aware of your side of the story when they are deliberating the inputs provided by your RO.

Unregistered 16-04-2019 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 117105)
Not a mid career. Local scholar, did normal 4 year undergrad in local uni. Did one overseas pre-service Masters and another part-time Masters during first few years of service (self-funded, education related, declared only after graduation). Due to late return from overseas, did not do contract teaching before entering NIE.

Could also be school's culture towards staff career advancement. Was promoted alongside a non-scholar with 6.5 years of trained service. Apparently, that is also considered fast, but seems like the norm in my school.

As you mentioned, you are a scholar.. That explains why. But have said that, there are also other scholars who fell through the cracks. There even local scholars who resigned after their bonds with only geo 2.

Unregistered 16-04-2019 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 117105)

Hmm what’s the reason why u were given a starting pay at the top of scale?

Unregistered 17-04-2019 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 117107)
Hi,

In summary,

2012 Promoted to GEO4
SH (Covering) 2012-2013

Thank u

Independent sch direct hires salary already much higher, so I think it is still better than in govt schools