Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 17-04-2019 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 117154)
Hmm what’s the reason why u were given a starting pay at the top of scale?

First class honours and ns pay increment. I can help him answer.

Unregistered 17-04-2019 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 117162)
First class honours and ns pay increment. I can help him answer.

Unlikely that’s enough to hit top of GEO2. I had the same, and was still 2-3 increments below the top of range

Unregistered 17-04-2019 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 117113)
If you feel confident enough poking beyond the safety boundary, skip the chain of command and speak to a school leader. Result of this is that the other KPs will be aware of your side of the story when they are deliberating the inputs provided by your RO.

Thank you for the reply. From my experience with the sch leaders at my side and what I have observed, it is hardly that they like someone jumping across the layers of bureaucracy. Personally I am not sure whether this action will turn out to be for the better or worse too.

I do agree with another comment that pay wise for independent schools it is not that bad (but do note that this may not always be the case especially for the hires I've seen in the last 2 years) but what bugs is more of the long wait term to move from GEO4 to GEO5 in my case.

Unregistered 17-04-2019 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 117163)
Unlikely that’s enough to hit top of GEO2. I had the same, and was still 2-3 increments below the top of range

Masters (relevant to CS1) + 2 years relevant work experience (contract tutor in NUS). My starting pay at GEO2(Untrained) was about 4.3k. The increment received upon graduating from NIE pushed it to the ceiling.

fluke1976 30-04-2019 12:23 PM

Hi guys,
I am new here. Anyway, may I ask my wife gotten C+ last year and this year B, is there a chance to promote from SEO1 to SEO2? She is the type who doesn't bother about such stuff, I am more concerned for her. This year, so many of her colleagues got promoted, but she has been to this unit for two years only la (HQ).

Thanks for advice.

Unregistered 30-04-2019 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fluke1976 (Post 117976)
Hi guys,
I am new here. Anyway, may I ask my wife gotten C+ last year and this year B, is there a chance to promote from SEO1 to SEO2? She is the type who doesn't bother about such stuff, I am more concerned for her. This year, so many of her colleagues got promoted, but she has been to this unit for two years only la (HQ).

Thanks for advice.

Not enough info. What sort of unit and jobscope? More importantly, is she below the establishment grade of the current appointment she is holding? (e.g. GEO officers holding SH/LH/ST/HOD positions will be up for promotion sooner, because "estab grade" for such positions is SEO)

At SEO level, you can get lots of C+ and B but if you are at the estab grade for your current appointment, and you don't take up higher appointment, you will be stuck for a long long long time.

Unregistered 30-04-2019 04:40 PM

Hard to say for sure (other relevant info - how long has she been at SEO1? Does her current role allow for SEO2 progression?), but my only comment is that it's pretty tough for a SEO1 to get B at HQ. She's probably been doing well, and I assume she'll get promoted soon enough!

If not near the salary ceiling yet, no need to hurry lah. Harder to maintain B after promotion, too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fluke1976 (Post 117976)
Hi guys,

Thanks for advice.

fluke1976 30-04-2019 10:31 PM

Hi there,
Thanks for your kind words. She has been a SEO1 for 2-3years. Not yet hit the ceiling, but you don’t have to the ceiling to get promoted right?

Anyway, thanks again.

jinduaki 03-05-2019 05:36 PM

32 years old, female geo 4

Hi there, i was promoted to Geo 4, 2 years ago. i stepped down from leadership role recently as i wanted more time for my kids. Is my pace of increment considered normal/slow/above average?

thanks

Unregistered 03-05-2019 07:43 PM

I am a Geo 3. I reached my ceiling. I’ve been in GEO3 for 4 years since this April.

Looks like I really have shitting CEP as my friends told me for guys usually 3 years or 4 years will get the GEO 4.

Sigh.....

Do you think I should move on from my current school?

Any idea why is my promotion delayed even though I do not have any C-?

I am C throughout. Joined MOE after NIE in 2014.