Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 30-06-2018 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 108249)
1. Is yearly increment something that is confirmed every year?

2. If an officer has a promotion during a particular year (meaning monthly salary increase), there won't be anymore yearly increment for the officer for that year right?

yes, there is yearly increment. Even during the year of promotion

Unregistered 30-06-2018 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 108023)
Hi all, sorry to sidetrack a bit, but when I change my salary crediting bank account in Pac@Gov, how long will the change take?

If I make the change now, will it be effective by July 2018?

The change will take two working days to take effect.

If not, your salary will only be processed in August instead.

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher 02-07-2018 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 108420)
Computer Application is not a new subject. It's also known as CPA, a subject for Normal Technical students.

Yes I know it is called CPA. But it was introduced only in 2017, with this year being the first O level batch. That is what I was referring to as a new subject. But thanks for offering the extra information!

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher 02-07-2018 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 108309)
Oh I never knew about the difference in starting salary! I did not ask my batch mates though because I don't know their class of hons either...
You mean once the salary is close to the ceiling , a promotion is coming? Never knew that!

At your current GEO rank, it is unlikely that you will hug the ceiling. Usually people only start hugging at GEO 4 or GEO 5 if they are really avg/below avg

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher 02-07-2018 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 108249)

2. If an officer has a promotion during a particular year (meaning monthly salary increase), there won't be anymore yearly increment for the officer for that year right?

Yes. No matter whether you get promoted or not, bad grade or not

There will still be yearly increment. If it is in line with an April promotion, then it will be lumped together. If you have an October promotion. You will get the yearly increment first in April, before the newly promoted scale pay kicks in from October onwards. For October promotion, from personal experience, you will usually receive the promotion letter together with the April promotion batch though (roughly around March), but the letter will indicate that your promotion will be in October

Unregistered 02-07-2018 09:58 PM

Hi,

May I know whether having honours or not will affect the chance of getting such invitations to HQ postings?

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HQ worker (Post 107457)
1) High-performing non-scholars do get offered such opportunities - usually this follows some type of tea session, though. And a 5-year posting is definitely atypical. Compulsory HQ posting is usually a shorter 2-year stint, in fact!

2) I've heard of people rejecting such postings before (though quite some time ago) - such an opportunity may not pop up again, and (unverified) rumour has it that it might affect your future progression.

3) You might want to find out more by contacting HR - even ask why it's a 5-year posting, and possibly negotiate to at least the standard 3-year posting that people get when applying in via open posting.

4) Quite likely.

Think only you can decide whether it's a good move for you - but having made the move I must say that it was a good learning experience to see the system at work in a different perspective. Five years is a scary commitment, though! Would love to hear more details (if not confidential) about this posting, haha.

Unregistered 02-07-2018 10:34 PM

Really? Had read (from official documents) that D/E graders are not eligible for merit increment. Is that different from annual increment?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher (Post 108480)
Yes. No matter whether you get promoted or not, bad grade or not

Aurora 02-07-2018 11:17 PM

Hey all. I'm not sure whether this question has been asked before. But it will be great if someone can enlighten me. I have just applied for 4 schools during the open posting exercise. Have been to 2 interviews and 2 more to go next week. I am just wondering:

a) How long will the school take to get back to you if they are interested in accepting you, from the date of interview?

b) Am I right to say that if I do not hear from any of the schools by the last day of the open posting exercise, that means I am being rejected?

c) What is the mode of contact that they will use to get back to me if I'm accepted?

It will be a nail-biting wait for sure. First time applying for open posting after 10 years of being in my one and only school, which explains my noobness in all this.

Will appreciate a response soon! :)

ellie 05-07-2018 10:30 PM

Requirements for HQ posting?

I'm also applying out during Open Posting, but to a couple of HQ divisions. Does a higher grade improve your chance of getting the post? I'm GEO3 and have submitted my application via HRMS.

Unregistered 05-07-2018 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellie (Post 108613)
I'm also applying out during Open Posting, but to a couple of HQ divisions. Does a higher grade improve your chance of getting the post? I'm GEO3 and have submitted my application via HRMS.

It really depends on what role you are applying for and who you are replacing. If the position you are applying for used to be taken by a young officer, then GEO3 is okay. However, you should typically be one of the better performing officers in your school.