Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 17-02-2024 10:41 PM

Quitting Untrained teaching Stint

Hi guys, can I ask if it's ok for me to quit the PGDE Untrained Teaching Stint before my SAE for NIE placement? Is there a good time to leave cuz I found myself not liking the job already?

Unregistered 17-02-2024 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 268708)
Hi guys, can I ask if it's ok for me to quit the PGDE Untrained Teaching Stint before my SAE for NIE placement? Is there a good time to leave cuz I found myself not liking the job already?

Nope, any time is a good time. I've had friends that quit a month into their untrained stint. I myself left when I was offered.

Unregistered 18-02-2024 11:53 AM

Potential

I have a colleague who is a new BT, yet is assigned 2 graduating classes. Heard that it’s school needs but I’m wondering is it because the colleague has high “potential”? What affects potential?

Unregistered 18-02-2024 12:41 PM

I suggest u find out over time. But I reckon it’s really because no one else wants to do it and your BT fren had it shoved down her throat as she’s new

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 268740)
I have a colleague who is a new BT, yet is assigned 2 graduating classes. Heard that it’s school needs but I’m wondering is it because the colleague has high “potential”? What affects potential?

Unregistered 18-02-2024 01:26 PM

The recent 2024 revenue and expenditure figures showed spending 14.8B dollars on education, a 5% increase from last year, and yet we are facing so many financial problems in the sector? They are cutting costs left and right, lack of recuiting new teachers, hiring small contract FAJTs and part-timers , and dumping all the work on the full timers just because they are full timers. Our salaries are stagnant, our career prospects are blocked by the bloated top-heavy management, and they have the nerve to tell us they are downsizing. Where is all the money going?

Unregistered 18-02-2024 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 268752)
The recent 2024 revenue and expenditure figures showed spending 14.8B dollars on education, a 5% increase from last year, and yet we are facing so many financial problems in the sector? They are cutting costs left and right, lack of recuiting new teachers, hiring small contract FAJTs and part-timers , and dumping all the work on the full timers just because they are full timers. Our salaries are stagnant, our career prospects are blocked by the bloated top-heavy management, and they have the nerve to tell us they are downsizing. Where is all the money going?

Salaries are determined by the civil service as a whole. Don't blame the govt for this. Blame your fellow Singaporeans who think that civil servants must be paid lowly.

Unregistered 18-02-2024 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 268708)

are u fresh grad? do share what u thought this job is and what it turns out to be… what level are u teaching ?

Unregistered 18-02-2024 07:01 PM

Quote:

You can go and read the budget statements.

Most of the money seems to go into govt development, and grants.
Everyone above 40 is given $4000 skillsfuture top ups. ITE grads are given $10k for completing a diploma. This money got to come from somewhere, right?

Unsurprisingly, EO headcount continues to be cut.

Headcounts from 2024 budget statement:

2022 EO estab:32,052
2023 EO estimated estab:31,842
2023 EO revised estab:31,276
2024 EO estimated estab: 30,968

In 2023, the attrition of EO was greater than estimated.
In 2024, they continue to cut the headcount.

Can expect things to only get tougher and tougher.

Unregistered 18-02-2024 07:44 PM

Hoping to see if anyone can clear this up.

Im an LH in my school , officially appointed in 2023. End of 2024, it will be my second full year.
Tbf, I am getting tired with the role. Was wondering is there a timeline before I can step down from my role? Anyone with such experience ?

Unregistered 18-02-2024 08:59 PM

Quote:

Costs of providing education don't only include EO salaries and headcount maintenance. Costs of everything are increasing, even simple things like school electricity bills and providing stable internet access for tech-enabled T&L.

Anyway, they will tell you that the headcount problem isn't a money issue, but a not-enough-warm-bodies issue. It is somewhat true since the size of the local workforce is projected to drop drop drop like grapes in the years to come, and it is not so simple to just import FTs in bulk to bolster the education officer headcount (unlike in certain industries).