Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 22-04-2024 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 276012)
Reading from all the entries, the MOE toxic school culture from SLs, Kps and teacher are so apparent even in this forum! 🤣

It is the structure which contributes to the culture.
In NIE, we learn that 1:20 is the ratio of teacher to student for adult learners.
What do we have in the primary and secondary schools?

Unregistered 22-04-2024 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 275875)
But they’re not mutually exclusive? One can do things for recognition, yet still benefit the students. There’s nothing inherently wrong with chasing for recognition.

I beg to differ. There is something INHERENTLY wrong with chasing for recognition as an EDUCATOR. Thats how you get toxic culture in many schools with people being calculative in wanting to be KPs and when they are KPs dumb work down on reportees and taking credit.

Those who want to chasing for recognition could consider insurance, banking where quarterly awards are announced etc.

The effect of what we do daily for our kids have effects on them for the long-term

Unregistered 22-04-2024 10:19 AM

class size

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 276087)
It is the structure which contributes to the culture.
In NIE, we learn that 1:20 is the ratio of teacher to student for adult learners.
What do we have in the primary and secondary schools?

recently on 9 April 2024, MOE made a infographic reply about class size. can someone help me to understand that they still believe 40 is still ok? did I interpret wrongly?

link:
s://.moe.gov.sg/news/edtalks/how-does-moe-decide-on-class-size

Unregistered 22-04-2024 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 276012)
Reading from all the entries, the MOE toxic school culture from SLs, Kps and teacher are so apparent even in this forum! 🤣

No no, it's only SLs and KPs that are toxic. The ordinary teacher is a gem of a human being.

Unregistered 22-04-2024 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 276088)
I beg to differ. There is something INHERENTLY wrong with chasing for recognition as an EDUCATOR. Thats how you get toxic culture in many schools with people being calculative in wanting to be KPs and when they are KPs dumb work down on reportees and taking credit.

Those who want to chasing for recognition could consider insurance, banking where quarterly awards are announced etc.

The effect of what we do daily for our kids have effects on them for the long-term

I'm not the one who made the post you're responding to, but the kind of expectation you have that teachers should not expect the be appropriately recognised for the impact they create is illogical. Some kinds of work may be seen as being more 'noble' than others (e.g. social work, health work, etc) but it is still work at the end of the day. Yes, the heart for service is non negotiable and passion will keep one's motivation going, but an honest day's work deserves an honest day's wage. You can't eat passion, and your heart for service alone won't feed your family.

Teachers should seek to be recognised and remunerated for the making an impact (not just hard work). This is exactly how it is in any other industry, noble or otherwise. I don't get what aspect of this you don't understand. Of course this should not be intentionally done at the expense of others. But you seem to believe that all teachers should put their heads down, slave away just for a warm fuzzy feeling in the heart. To seek anything more makes one an evil venomous snake. That is a dangerous narrative and really undermines the hard work teachers really put in even though it has all the trappings of a morally superior position on the surface.

So teachers, please don't shy away from claiming credit where it is fairly due. You deserve it for all the heart and soul you pour into your work for your students' sakes.

Unregistered 22-04-2024 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 276132)
I'm not the one who made the post you're responding to, but the kind of expectation you have that teachers should not expect the be appropriately recognised for the impact they create is illogical. Some kinds of work may be seen as being more 'noble' than others (e.g. social work, health work, etc) but it is still work at the end of the day. Yes, the heart for service is non negotiable and passion will keep one's motivation going, but an honest day's work deserves an honest day's wage. You can't eat passion, and your heart for service alone won't feed your family.

Teachers should seek to be recognised and remunerated for the making an impact (not just hard work). This is exactly how it is in any other industry, noble or otherwise. I don't get what aspect of this you don't understand. Of course this should not be intentionally done at the expense of others. But you seem to believe that all teachers should put their heads down, slave away just for a warm fuzzy feeling in the heart. To seek anything more makes one an evil venomous snake. That is a dangerous narrative and really undermines the hard work teachers really put in even though it has all the trappings of a morally superior position on the surface.

So teachers, please don't shy away from claiming credit where it is fairly due. You deserve it for all the heart and soul you pour into your work for your students' sakes.

Well said. Work is work

If teachers are appraised and rank like any other professions, why should teachers behave differently from other professions when it comes to career matters?

Teaching is not a charity.

Unregistered 22-04-2024 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 276149)
Well said. Work is work

If teachers are appraised and rank like any other professions, why should teachers behave differently from other professions when it comes to career matters?

Teaching is not a charity.

u mean it can be as transactional as a banking transaction?

Unregistered 22-04-2024 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 276132)

sounds like a KP, SL Or an aspiring one

Unregistered 22-04-2024 06:11 PM

s://.straitstimes.com/singapore/respect-for-teachers-key-to-growing-the-profession-chan-chun-sing

Unregistered 22-04-2024 07:52 PM

where's the respect

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 276175)
s://.straitstimes.com/singapore/respect-for-teachers-key-to-growing-the-profession-chan-chun-sing

I think this article should be sense made more to parents and SL how they can show more respect and return back more autonomy to the teachers.

This career is becoming more transactional to me, more of a day job to get the basic pay. So I'll end on time, and get more real income from tuition.