Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 22-03-2024 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272107)
How many teachers really get the full '9 weeks' of holidays?

How protected is protected time?

If taking grad classes, often protected time is shorter, because need to come back during sch hols for extra lessons

Then there are school camps. At least 2 camps a year, for cohort, and CCA. Or more if you are in charge of UGs. Sometimes need to cover for other staff who are heavily pregnant, got medical conditions or mothers with very young kids.
On camps, you are on duty 24/7 for the entire duration.

Or weekends burned, bringing students out.

All these duties no off in lieu.

Personally, the most I get for protected time is 2+8+2+15. Around 27 days
On paper, is more than the 18-21 days other civil servants get.

In reality, if you minus off these additional duties, the 'extra' days of school holidays not even enough to offset

What is the proportion of school EOs are aiming to go HQ?
What is the proportion of HQ EOs aiming to go back to schools?

Going overseas doesn't mean one is rich. Go malaysia also counts as going overseas.

Teachers go overseas during sch holidays, because it guarantees that nobody can recall them back for work

Those who stayed behind in sg, may find themselves being called back to work during their supposed protected time, to cover for other colleagues.
'Oh, so-and-so is on MC. We got this trip/camp, need to ensure enough S:T ratio. Can help to cover?'
Seen this too many times.

Staying condo also doesn't mean teachers are well paid.

Majority of teachers are females. And the vast majority of them, have husbands who are not teachers. If your husband have a well paying job in the private sector, you can afford to live in a condo or landed property too.

As for male teachers, other than HODs, whose salaries have hit a certain level due to their seniority, most ordinary teachers around me live in HDBs.

At best, teachers' salaries are at median level compared to all graduates of local unis. Look at the annual GES released by the universities, and the annual wage statistics released by MOM.

There's a reason why so many left for the tuition sector.

Lots of untrues in this.

Unregistered 22-03-2024 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272108)
Or you could simply be bogged down by many things requiring your presence, which prevented you from completing your work in school.

Lessons, additional lessons, meetings, CCAs.

Yes. sometimes, the workload distribution is unfair.

Unregistered 22-03-2024 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272088)
Yes, confirmed if you are getting As and Bs, and no promotion, you might be blackmarked by one of your higher ups. Happened to me a few years ago. My RO reported me to the top, and HR for a petty reason. All the higher ups, did not bother to stop her. I did not know until my RO was retiring, heard about this from another person as they have to correct the problem, if not no promotion in the future.

This sucks coz SLs were like oh, you are doing very well, you might be promoted soon, and we hope you can stay. And then I still didn’t get promoted in the end, and reaching the ceiling of GEO 5.
Felt like being played out. Time to go.

Unregistered 22-03-2024 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272116)
Lots of untrues in this.

and u could have just highlighted and elaborated on which ones were untrue lol coz this is as good as not replying

im sure the language teachers here would have failed the student's oral exam if he just answered these few words

Unregistered 22-03-2024 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272108)
Or you could simply be bogged down by many things requiring your presence, which prevented you from completing your work in school.

Lessons, additional lessons, meetings, CCAs.

Yes precisely!

Unregistered 22-03-2024 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272086)
I just got promoted to Geo3 last year. Current salary $5k. How long will it be until the next promo GEO 4?

Are you a male/ female? How long did you wait to get promoted to geo3?

Unregistered 22-03-2024 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272099)
just went from geo5 to seo1... what kind of pay increment can I expect?

Which email did they send the news to?

Unregistered 22-03-2024 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272100)
Not always about efficiency la. Different teachers also have different committees and different workloads. How to compare efficiency if the workload cannot even be compared. Don’t talk about PAM teachers also la. And some teachers have aged parents or young kids to care for. They can’t be staying 12 hours at the office every day so they gotta bring some work back la completely normal.

I don’t think they are comparing whether the teacher stays back or not. I think they are referring to the working hours. If you bring work home to do, you’re still considered OT-ing isn’t it.

Unregistered 22-03-2024 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272107)
How many teachers really get the full '9 weeks' of holidays?

How protected is protected time?

If taking grad classes, often protected time is shorter, because need to come back during sch hols for extra lessons

Then there are school camps. At least 2 camps a year, for cohort, and CCA. Or more if you are in charge of UGs. Sometimes need to cover for other staff who are heavily pregnant, got medical conditions or mothers with very young kids.
On camps, you are on duty 24/7 for the entire duration.

Or weekends burned, bringing students out.

All these duties no off in lieu.

Personally, the most I get for protected time is 2+8+2+15. Around 27 days
On paper, is more than the 18-21 days other civil servants get.

In reality, if you minus off these additional duties, the 'extra' days of school holidays not even enough to offset

What is the proportion of school EOs are aiming to go HQ?
What is the proportion of HQ EOs aiming to go back to schools?

Going overseas doesn't mean one is rich. Go malaysia also counts as going overseas.

Teachers go overseas during sch holidays, because it guarantees that nobody can recall them back for work

Those who stayed behind in sg, may find themselves being called back to work during their supposed protected time, to cover for other colleagues.
'Oh, so-and-so is on MC. We got this trip/camp, need to ensure enough S:T ratio. Can help to cover?'
Seen this too many times.

Staying condo also doesn't mean teachers are well paid.

Majority of teachers are females. And the vast majority of them, have husbands who are not teachers. If your husband have a well paying job in the private sector, you can afford to live in a condo or landed property too.

As for male teachers, other than HODs, whose salaries have hit a certain level due to their seniority, most ordinary teachers around me live in HDBs.

At best, teachers' salaries are at median level compared to all graduates of local unis. Look at the annual GES released by the universities, and the annual wage statistics released by MOM.

There's a reason why so many left for the tuition sector.

So salty this person. Not sure if you’re even from the sector…

Unregistered 22-03-2024 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 272119)
This sucks coz SLs were like oh, you are doing very well, you might be promoted soon, and we hope you can stay. And then I still didn’t get promoted in the end, and reaching the ceiling of GEO 5.
Felt like being played out. Time to go.

Yes, at this time, I reached the ceiling and waiting for two more years, before I got promoted. They have to undo what they did. They did this only when my RO was retiring and got her to correct it. I guess, if not the new RO will need to explain why I am not being promoted.