Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 20-02-2024 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 268855)
So far what has been raised in this thread, is that hiring is cut, so to free up singaporean graduates for the workforce, for other sectors.

Reduced hiring of Singaporean teachers doesn't have to be tied to reduced hiring of foreign teachers

To illustrate how ridiculous this thinking is, let's apply the same logic to the healthcare sector

Sg has a shortage of doctors, and doctors work long hours. Should MOH therefore reduce the number of Medicine places in our local unis and hire less Singaporean doctors, so as to free up these bright young minds for other key economic sectors, such as finance, AI or data science (insert hot field) perhaps?
At the same time MOH should not look into hiring of FT doctors, since clearly there's so many bright Singaporean students with straight As applying for a place in sg medical schools, right?

Yet when we visit polyclinics and public hospitals, there are so many FT doctors.

Squeezing teachers dry and endlessly piling on additional work on them is not sustainable nor ethical.

In terms of manpower numbers and labour costs, your argument does make a lot of sense...

Unfortunately, education may be a sector that the government sees as sensitive, so they probably will not immediately open the floodgates of accepting foreigners. Their basis for selection may be similar to defence (MINDEF) and security (MHA), where foreigner recruitment is minimised as well.

Cannot have extra manpower, cannot increase labour budget too. Will this become a dying sector?

Unregistered 21-02-2024 09:04 AM

Is it really worth to be LH or ST in the school ?

Unregistered 21-02-2024 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 268947)

If you think you will make it to SEO3 (VP equivalent) or beyond (P) Yes.
If not, probably not.

HOT like me aged 40 at GEO5 celing.

Unregistered 21-02-2024 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 268951)
If you think you will make it to SEO3 (VP equivalent) or beyond (P) Yes.
If not, probably not.

HOT like me aged 40 at GEO5 celing.

Agree with your point, BUT it is necessary to caveat to younger officers - especially those who joined after 2015, that you may not hit the GEO5 salary ceiling by age 40. You will probably be at the GEO5 subgrade, but very unlikely at/near the ceiling.

Unregistered 21-02-2024 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 268947)

What is "worth" to you? Do you find meaning and purpose in your work?
Do you wish to invest more in your own growth, and take interest in the development and growth of others?

Or do you mean in terms of salary?

It it does not come at a great cost to what you hold dear and not with painful sacrifices, go ahead.

My advice is not to take what you hear here with a pinch of salt (including mine) because forums may not be a proportionate representation of the views out there.

Unregistered 22-02-2024 08:22 PM

My secondment to an independent school is about to end. Should I change to become direct hire?

Unregistered 22-02-2024 08:39 PM

yes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 269061)
My secondment to an independent school is about to end. Should I change to become direct hire?

yes, you can and should. hide away from from schools

Nohope:( 22-02-2024 08:57 PM

Advice

Hey there, got 60 RP for my A levels. Currently one year from finishing NS. Goal is to become a math teacher at either secondary schools or JCs.

Would SUSS part time mathematics degree be eligible for NIE PDGE with degree pay? Planning to take the part time math degree while working as a relief teacher under the MOE scheme for relief educators.

Is this route feasible or are there better pathways to become a math teacher in sec/jc? Born year 2000 btw

Unregistered 23-02-2024 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nohope:( (Post 269064)
Hey there, got 60 RP for my A levels. Currently one year from finishing NS. Goal is to become a math teacher at either secondary schools or JCs.

Would SUSS part time mathematics degree be eligible for NIE PDGE with degree pay? Planning to take the part time math degree while working as a relief teacher under the MOE scheme for relief educators.

Is this route feasible or are there better pathways to become a math teacher in sec/jc? Born year 2000 btw

Your options are:
1. Retake A levels and get better grades. And apply for NIE.
2. Accept that you can only be a math tutor at best.

Recruitment has slowed, especially for STEM subjects. All hires now are on the teaching scholar programme, and recipients of local scholarship or study award are channeled to NIE to do their degree directly, instead of the pgde route.

And SUSS is not really recognised. More so for part time degrees.

Unregistered 24-02-2024 12:57 AM

dont get the logic of forcing gaza strip topic to every form teacher to teach, while some are more vocal, some really coulndt give a damn on what this conflict is and yet teach, because every teacher is a cce teacher.. confirm backfire see la see la