Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Civil Service Performance Bonus (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1235-civil-service-performance-bonus.html)

alwaysnforever 27-03-2011 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaz (Post 10569)
For your info, every department has a quota when dishing out performance grade. For example, in a department with 10 staff, only 1 can get "A", 2x"B", 2x"C+". 4x"C", 1x"D". There's actually a formula to determine the quota.

As long as the department meets the quota, the grade will not be moderated. However, if your boss decides to give 3 officers a B instead of 2 officers, then HR will come in to moderate it for the boss (which is not pleasant).

yes i know. unfortunately i guess my dept has a few better performers, and they got the B. I guess I got a C is because I was MX13 and I just needed a C to be promoted to MX12. Still it feels sore...

shaz 27-03-2011 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysnforever (Post 10572)
yes i know. unfortunately i guess my dept has a few better performers, and they got the B. I guess I got a C is because I was MX13 and I just needed a C to be promoted to MX12. Still it feels sore...

Don't feel too bad. I think I got a "C" too for my first year despite getting the automatic promotion to MX12. It's actually fair for fresh grads. You spend the first 3-6 months learning about the job and have yet to provide tangible results for the department. You may feel that you're doing a good job but bosses tend to be cautious and want to observe if you can actually sustain your performance...

Unregistered 27-03-2011 08:37 AM

why is there no mention of grade "B+"? I was given "B+".

Unregistered 27-03-2011 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 10580)
why is there no mention of grade "B+"? I was given "B+".

so how much pb + svp u got for b+? no one mentioned bcos there is no one who got b+ who came here to post. so be the first!

alwaysnforever 27-03-2011 06:53 PM

some ministries like MOE have B+ or B-, while some don't. I come from one that don't have the + or - grading.

But I heard MOE PB is lesser than other ministries..

Unregistered 28-03-2011 10:22 PM

Any MX11 who got a B? What is the quantum you got? 2.5 mths?

Unregistered 29-03-2011 12:46 AM

i'm an mx11 and got a C+ ; the PB quantum was 2.5 so a B performer should be getting higher than that.

Unregistered 29-03-2011 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 10672)
i'm an mx11 and got a C+ ; the PB quantum was 2.5 so a B performer should be getting higher than that.

Is the PB (performance bonus) always so high in the civil service?

Could the 2.5 figure be due to the extraordinary GDP growth last year? To be more cynical, could it be due to thus year being an election year?

I'm just curious cos I've never worked in the civil service before.

k3vin 29-03-2011 07:55 AM

mx11 pb bound to be higher than the entries?

alwaysnforever 29-03-2011 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k3vin (Post 10677)
mx11 pb bound to be higher than the entries?

for my ministry yes. even if both got same grade, MX11 pb payout will still be higher

Unregistered 29-03-2011 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysnforever (Post 10679)
for my ministry yes. even if both got same grade, MX11 pb payout will still be higher

this is true for all ministries. For the same scheme but different job grade (e.g. MX12 vs MX11), a 'B' performance grade will translate into a different PB quantum for the higher grade.
Btw MX 11 is higher than MX12. It goes in reverse. The smaller the higher pay scale.

Unregistered 29-03-2011 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 10710)
this is true for all ministries. For the same scheme but different job grade (e.g. MX12 vs MX11), a 'B' performance grade will translate into a different PB quantum for the higher grade.
Btw MX 11 is higher than MX12. It goes in reverse. The smaller the higher pay scale.

2010 fresh grad. joined in 2010.
B grade. 4.2 mths but pro-rated (only worked 5 mths in 2010)

most new staff got C or C+ I heard....

Unregistered 30-03-2011 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 10713)

wow im so jealous

im in a stat board and joined in late 2010. policy is for newcomers to get C by default

my PB was only 1.25 mths and SVP 1 mth. that's drastically lower than urs :(

Unregistered 30-03-2011 11:41 AM

each stat board are free to set their own pay structure and bonus, unlike ministry where a C grading on the MX scheme will get the same payout.

The SVP is a one-off and should be de-linked from PB.

MX13&12 C- PB 1.5
MX11 C -PB 1.75

MX13&12 B- PB 2.5
MX11 B -PB 3

Promotion (other that the auto 13 to 12) does not depend on your grade but depends on your CEP. Default CEP is 10 for non-scholars

miwashi 30-03-2011 02:13 PM

My grade was C+ but I got 2 months bonus. However still no promotion after 5 years.

Unregistered 30-03-2011 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 10740)
each stat board are free to set their own pay structure and bonus, unlike ministry where a C grading on the MX scheme will get the same payout.

The SVP is a one-off and should be de-linked from PB.

MX13&12 C- PB 1.5
MX11 C -PB 1.75

MX13&12 B- PB 2.5
MX11 B -PB 3

Promotion (other that the auto 13 to 12) does not depend on your grade but depends on your CEP. Default CEP is 10 for non-scholars

thanks for the info, it's very helpful

i guess moral of the story is ministries pay better IN GENERAL

im a MX12 equivalent in my stat board, so it's very clear that my pay structure lags behind that of ministries

not sure whether it's because my base pay is kinda on the high side for a MX12 (>4.5k)

miwashi 30-03-2011 04:14 PM

I am on something called the MXS12 grade and when I go for interviews at ministries they keep telling me it is very different from their MX12 and cannot offer so much. I am also getting >4.5k.

miwashi 30-03-2011 05:20 PM

To add onto my earlier post,

I have been working where I am for the last 5 years as a MX 12. My latest performance appraisal for last year is a C+ grade, which doesn't seem very good to me, but in the letter to me they said it was 'a good performer' grade. The bonus was quite substantial actually, so I didn't realize it was a C+ until now. (I test my willpower every year by keeping the perf bonus letter sealed until the actual crediting day)

What I'm interested in knowing is, does this mean any chance of progression to MX11 is effectively reset to square one, since I keep hearing that you need 3 years of consecutive B grading to advance to the next level?

If that's true that means if I stay here, it'll be 8 years of no promotion at all.

Unregistered 30-03-2011 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miwashi (Post 10753)
To add onto my earlier post,

I have been working where I am for the last 5 years as a MX 12. My latest performance appraisal for last year is a C+ grade, which doesn't seem very good to me, but in the letter to me they said it was 'a good performer' grade. The bonus was quite substantial actually, so I didn't realize it was a C+ until now. (I test my willpower every year by keeping the perf bonus letter sealed until the actual crediting day)

What I'm interested in knowing is, does this mean any chance of progression to MX11 is effectively reset to square one, since I keep hearing that you need 3 years of consecutive B grading to advance to the next level?

If that's true that means if I stay here, it'll be 8 years of no promotion at all.

r u chummy with HR? i suspect that they'll be the only ones that can give u the right answer

Unregistered 30-03-2011 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 10713)

need to clarify im in stat board and there's no SVP and all other bonuses civil service entitled to.
the bonuses are corp bonus, 13th mth, PB

Unregistered 30-03-2011 11:57 PM

so much for PB... can anyone shed like on the Merit Increment quantum how it is determined?

Unregistered 04-04-2011 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 10676)
Is the PB (performance bonus) always so high in the civil service?

Could the 2.5 figure be due to the extraordinary GDP growth last year? To be more cynical, could it be due to thus year being an election year?

I'm just curious cos I've never worked in the civil service before.

hm.. bonuses for mx12s who got a B grade in my ministry were 2.5 mths this year... and this was the case for the last two years as well.

as mentioned by a previous poster, the higher your seniority, the higher your PB quantum. for eg. an mx10 with a B grade will get a higher PB quantum than an mx11 with a B grade, who will in turn get a higher PB quantum than an mx12 with the same B grade.

civil servants got an extra bonus this march with the "Special Variable Payment", which is paid out only in times of good GDP growth and is linked to performance as well. it ranged from 0-1.6 months. i think B graders got the full 1.6 months payout.

blackswan 09-04-2011 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 10919)
hm.. bonuses for mx12s who got a B grade in my ministry were 2.5 mths this year... and this was the case for the last two years as well.

as mentioned by a previous poster, the higher your seniority, the higher your PB quantum. for eg. an mx10 with a B grade will get a higher PB quantum than an mx11 with a B grade, who will in turn get a higher PB quantum than an mx12 with the same B grade.

civil servants got an extra bonus this march with the "Special Variable Payment", which is paid out only in times of good GDP growth and is linked to performance as well. it ranged from 0-1.6 months. i think B graders got the full 1.6 months payout.

as some stat boards do not pay SVP....I suspect some of them lump them into PB for this yr...

Unregistered 02-07-2011 11:51 PM

Civil Service Performance Bonus

Hi everyone, I've got a question, when is the assessment period for a teacher's performance bonus? Is it from 1 Jan till 31 Dec? or 1 Apr till 31 Mar? Can someone pls help? Thks.

Unregistered 03-07-2011 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 13813)
Hi everyone, I've got a question, when is the assessment period for a teacher's performance bonus? Is it from 1 Jan till 31 Dec? or 1 Apr till 31 Mar? Can someone pls help? Thks.

Officially, it's 1 Jan (assuming you started work prior to that date) to 31 Dec, but because assessment is always done toward the end of the year, but not after the year, it will be 1 Jan to maybe Sep/Oct depending on when your assessment is done. If you are referring to how your PB is pro-rated, then it's based on the full year from 1 Jan (or whichever date you started work in that year) to 31 Dec, so just calculate accordingly.

Unregistered 03-07-2011 10:52 PM

civil servant performance bonus

It's because I heard from some HODs that they had discussions during april time and submit their grades up by apr, not sure leh...

Unregistered 03-07-2011 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 13838)
It's because I heard from some HODs that they had discussions during april time and submit their grades up by apr, not sure leh...

for my stat board is from jan to dec for last yr. the appraisal done in jan this yr. ranking and finalized in feb. PB paid in march.

Unregistered 07-11-2011 05:40 PM

Bonus for december of 2011

Hi, everyone.. How many months of bonus will we be getting in the year end of 2011 exclude the 13 months? Especially for the civil servant?

Unregistered 11-11-2011 11:45 PM

Year end bonus for civil servant

2011 year end bonus won't be that good I guess. The special variable bonus is not going to happen again.

Unregistered 13-11-2011 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 17976)
2011 year end bonus won't be that good I guess. The special variable bonus is not going to happen again.

They have no reason to give u any more $$ since the election is already over... Must wait for 5 more years till next election for fat bonuses.. Confirm!!!

Unregistered 13-11-2011 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 18011)
They have no reason to give u any more $$ since the election is already over... Must wait for 5 more years till next election for fat bonuses.. Confirm!!!

Isn't it obvious that last year's elections were chosen to coincide with a bounce-back from the sharp downturn caused by the subprime burst in US? This is so that big bonuses can be given out to civil servants, making them happy and people around them happy. When people are happy, the incumbent government will get the votes. But despite this, they still lost 7 seats.

Unregistered 13-11-2011 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 18013)
Isn't it obvious that last year's elections were chosen to coincide with a bounce-back from the sharp downturn caused by the subprime burst in US? This is so that big bonuses can be given out to civil servants, making them happy and people around them happy. When people are happy, the incumbent government will get the votes. But despite this, they still lost 7 seats.

Are you sure they'll vote this way?

Unregistered 13-11-2011 07:10 PM

Dec 2011 bonus

No one seems to have any insider tips on how much bonus we be getting next month. The worst case I can think of is 13th plus 1 month. Which we have gotten 0.5 months in July.
Even they give me 6 months bonus, I still vote for opposition party.

Unregistered 13-11-2011 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 18026)
No one seems to have any insider tips on how much bonus we be getting next month. The worst case I can think of is 13th plus 1 month. Which we have gotten 0.5 months in July.

Then all the more they will not give out good bonus during non-election year.

Unregistered 13-11-2011 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 18026)

Wrong. The worst is 13th month + ZERO month. It just happened not too long ago. I think shld be 2009.

Unregistered 13-11-2011 10:31 PM

Dec 2011

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 18033)
Wrong. The worst is 13th month + ZERO month. It just happened not too long ago. I think shld be 2009.

That's the years most of my civil service colleagues left for the oil and gas industry in jurong island. Operation technician and WSH related work and of course the high paying job as a RSO. It's time to move on in 2012.

Unregistered 19-11-2011 09:32 PM

Get ready for no bonus this year. Economy is headed for a hard landing.

Unregistered 20-11-2011 09:40 PM

Dec 2011

I don't mind not having any bonus this year end. I am getting my 12 years long service and look for job elsewhere.

Unregistered 20-11-2011 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 18263)
I don't mind not having any bonus this year end. I am getting my 12 years long service and look for job elsewhere.

I am sure you are a policeman. do you have a degree? got plans?

if you are, i was just like you before.. haha... and I hope you do well. :)

Unregistered 21-11-2011 10:41 AM

when r they gonna announce EOY bonus ??

last year it was 13th mth + 1 mth (GDP growth was a staggering 14.5%)

this year's growth expected to be only 5%. arghhhh..... hope we can still get 13th mth + 0.5 mth !!!!