Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Civil Service Performance Bonus (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1235-civil-service-performance-bonus.html)

Unregistered 08-12-2011 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hengzai (Post 18709)
Juz check le... No bonus for me... due to a reason i cant print here... they said they holding on to it... once resolved will give me bk everything... chances they would not give anything to me in the end... out of my control... congrats to all civil servants who will enjoy their bonus... cheer up for those who did not get... looking forward to 2012 :)

Good luck and wish you the best.

miwashi 08-12-2011 04:17 PM

if they holding it
does it mean you are placed on the work improvement plan

Unregistered 08-12-2011 07:21 PM

Worked for 4 mths and get pro-rated bonus... But more than I expected....

Unregistered 10-12-2011 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 18657)
Would it be unfair for an officer who joined an org in late Jan 2011 to be ranked with others who have been around in jan 2012? Considering the period of e new officer is slightly shorter than the others.

Hi all, I posted the above there, was wondering if anyone can advise on the above. I'm currently MX13 and waiting for my confirmation / promotion to MX12. However, despite that I will still be the newest guy in my "dept" who has served one month shy of a full year. Would I be in anyway disadvantaged in the ranking exercise and doomed to a D grade just because I am the newest? I was informed that to rank me above any of the old birds would require strong justification, and that a D grade had to go to someone.

I felt strongly about this because I have put in a lot of blood sweat and tears for the year, taking on additional 24/7 responsibilities that the my colleagues do not have to. I have done well in my work, and adapted very quickly. Our team stays back later than the others due to our portfolios, and with a certain amount of pride, we dare say we churn out much better work than the other teams in our dept.

I would be greatly discouraged if I were to be given a D just because the steamroller adheres to some informal guideline to give the "newest" or "less-than-a-year" the lowest grade.

For your views please.

miwashi 10-12-2011 10:54 AM

don't know about the D but in my MX13 job last time we got a 1 month pb pro-rated with the time we joined, even for those good performers.

Unregistered 10-12-2011 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hengzai (Post 18709)
Juz check le... No bonus for me... due to a reason i cant print here... they said they holding on to it... once resolved will give me bk everything... chances they would not give anything to me in the end... out of my control... congrats to all civil servants who will enjoy their bonus... cheer up for those who did not get... looking forward to 2012 :)

you should be on contract ...

Unregistered 10-12-2011 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 18764)
Hi all, I posted the above there, was wondering if anyone can advise on the above. I'm currently MX13 and waiting for my confirmation / promotion to MX12. However, despite that I will still be the newest guy in my "dept" who has served one month shy of a full year. Would I be in anyway disadvantaged in the ranking exercise and doomed to a D grade just because I am the newest? I was informed that to rank me above any of the old birds would require strong justification, and that a D grade had to go to someone.

I felt strongly about this because I have put in a lot of blood sweat and tears for the year, taking on additional 24/7 responsibilities that the my colleagues do not have to. I have done well in my work, and adapted very quickly. Our team stays back later than the others due to our portfolios, and with a certain amount of pride, we dare say we churn out much better work than the other teams in our dept.

I would be greatly discouraged if I were to be given a D just because the steamroller adheres to some informal guideline to give the "newest" or "less-than-a-year" the lowest grade.

For your views please.

not sure abt ur ministry but in my stat board, i was given a B for my 1st appraisal though my boss told me the norm for newcomers is to get C. in my stat board ranking is done across people in the same job grade i.e. all the MX 13s or sometimes they lump MX13 and MX12 tgt how exactly they lump the ppl in your ministry im nt sure as im in stat board not civil service.

Unregistered 11-12-2011 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 18780)
not sure abt ur ministry but in my stat board, i was given a B for my 1st appraisal though my boss told me the norm for newcomers is to get C. in my stat board ranking is done across people in the same job grade i.e. all the MX 13s or sometimes they lump MX13 and MX12 tgt how exactly they lump the ppl in your ministry im nt sure as im in stat board not civil service.

yes this is how it's done in my stat board too

wat did u get for PB for ur B grade? u were MX 13 then ?

Unregistered 20-12-2011 10:42 AM

not sure if this has been asked before

but is PB tied to GDP growth in any way ??

im not referring to SVP or wat not, but strictly PB

Unregistered 28-12-2011 09:05 AM

teacher pb
 
in school setting, i tink d D is 5%, Those teachers good in running projects no doubt will take up the b and c+, even their classrm teachg is lousy. we call them the "event manager"
i have colleague who totally devoted to pupils studies, evryday give remedia, mark n mark ,
in the end get a D. sigh!!

Unregistered 28-12-2011 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19138)
in school setting, i tink d D is 5%, Those teachers good in running projects no doubt will take up the b and c+, even their classrm teachg is lousy. we call them the "event manager"
i have colleague who totally devoted to pupils studies, evryday give remedia, mark n mark ,
in the end get a D. sigh!!

i hope you are not a teacher, because the way you write sucks.

Unregistered 28-12-2011 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19141)
i hope you are not a teacher, because the way you write sucks.

Atrocious is the word, should be sacked

Unregistered 28-12-2011 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19138)
in school setting, i tink d D is 5%, Those teachers good in running projects no doubt will take up the b and c+, even their classrm teachg is lousy. we call them the "event manager"
i have colleague who totally devoted to pupils studies, evryday give remedia, mark n mark ,
in the end get a D. sigh!!

I'm guessing you are chinese teacher from mainland china teaching in Singapore... I give you an " A " for your effort to share... But for your command of english.. I give you a "D " like your colleagues....

Unregistered 05-01-2012 10:40 AM

fellow civil/public servants, any idea wat's the PB quantum for a MX12 wif 'B' grade ????????

possible to hit 3 months ????

Unregistered 05-01-2012 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19397)
fellow civil/public servants, any idea wat's the PB quantum for a MX12 wif 'B' grade ????????

possible to hit 3 months ????

last year 2.5 not including growth bonus. unlikely to be any more this year

Unregistered 16-01-2012 01:43 AM

Merit Increment
 
hi,

Anyone knows what is the percentage for the yearly merit increment if you are a "A" grader?

Unregistered 16-01-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19753)
hi,

Anyone knows what is the percentage for the yearly merit increment if you are a "A" grader?

Should be 13.5%

Bean 16-01-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19754)
Should be 13.5%

could you also provide the % for grade B and C??

Unregistered 17-01-2012 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19754)
Should be 13.5%

In that case I think i got short-changed. Got half of that only.

Do I talk to my immediate boss or proceed directly to HR to ask?

Unregistered 17-01-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19794)
In that case I think i got short-changed. Got half of that only.

Do I talk to my immediate boss or proceed directly to HR to ask?

They will tell you that salary is non-negotiable.. or they can't becasue they have to maintain relativity amongst the rest of the staff in the organisation.... Even worst, some HR might even suggest that you can join the private sector if you really tink you can make it outside.. or else don't complain but still choose to work in the civil service... Even if you want to tal to minister, they will also tell you their paycut is more severe than you but they will still stay put becos no where else in private sector can they earn that kind of salary especially in these uncertain economic climates...

Unregistered 17-01-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19794)
In that case I think i got short-changed. Got half of that only.

Do I talk to my immediate boss or proceed directly to HR to ask?

Are you some fresh grad who just join government?

I mean what sort of naive question is that? In government, you get told what you will be paid and you either accept or get lost, there is no room for you to bargain like some pasar malam.

Better not do stupid things & cause trouble for your boss or HR, wait dio mark for the rest of your life.

Unregistered 20-02-2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 18764)
... I was informed that to rank me above any of the old birds would require strong justification, and that a D grade had to go to someone.

For your views please.

if iz ur boss who informed you, that means that most likely you did something he didn't like and you will be getting a D. Start looking around for a new job as you never know if ur contract will be renewed. Are you quite new / fresh grad / out of college? Cos u really need to have a good relatinship with your boss, he is grading you. I have learnt this the hard way. good luck ...

Unregistered 20-02-2012 10:10 PM

continue..

becos seriously if ur boss want to keep u (ie likes you) he will definitely not give u a D. it will be easier for him to give an old bird a D since u r new and he need justification to keep renew ur contract. So if he inform u 'sorry someone must get a D' it means it's u, pls look around, i don't think u fit in my dept. in the end u must look at yourself truth fully cos u will know if ur relationship with ur boss is good or not..

Unregistered 20-02-2012 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 18764)
Hi all, I posted the above there, was wondering if anyone can advise on the above. I'm currently MX13 and waiting for my confirmation / promotion to MX12. However, despite that I will still be the newest guy in my "dept" who has served one month shy of a full year. Would I be in anyway disadvantaged in the ranking exercise and doomed to a D grade just because I am the newest? I was informed that to rank me above any of the old birds would require strong justification, and that a D grade had to go to someone.

I felt strongly about this because I have put in a lot of blood sweat and tears for the year, taking on additional 24/7 responsibilities that the my colleagues do not have to. I have done well in my work, and adapted very quickly. Our team stays back later than the others due to our portfolios, and with a certain amount of pride, we dare say we churn out much better work than the other teams in our dept.

I would be greatly discouraged if I were to be given a D just because the steamroller adheres to some informal guideline to give the "newest" or "less-than-a-year" the lowest grade.

For your views please.

the truth is the hardest worker doesnt get the most credit, the one who can suck up to the boss does.

Anonymous 21-02-2012 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 21109)
the truth is the hardest worker doesnt get the most credit, the one who can suck up to the boss does.

If you are MX13, you are ranked amongst MX13s. So if your team are full of old birds i.e. MX12 and above, you are not really ranked with them.

To be brutally honest, your boss probably doesn't really like you and traded you away during MX13 rankings with the other HODs so that he can get better grading for the older staff during their MX12 and above rankings.

Unregistered 06-03-2012 11:07 AM

Hi all,
A question on PB & resignation

If I tender my resignation before PB is announced in early/mid-March but my last day is 30 April (> 1 mth notice), theoretically I should still get my PB right?

Just wonder if there's any chance that they may decide to lower my PB than the previously intended amount (since it is not announced yet)? Or any danger that I may not be getting any at all?

Thanks!

Unregistered 06-03-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 21896)
Hi all,
A question on PB & resignation

If I tender my resignation before PB is announced in early/mid-March but my last day is 30 April (> 1 mth notice), theoretically I should still get my PB right?

Just wonder if there's any chance that they may decide to lower my PB than the previously intended amount (since it is not announced yet)? Or any danger that I may not be getting any at all?

Thanks!

Sorry, but from most cases I heard of - civil, public, private, banks, MNCs - is that you will not get your PB.

Unregistered 06-03-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 21897)
Sorry, but from most cases I heard of - civil, public, private, banks, MNCs - is that you will not get your PB.

Thanks! Probably naive of me to think I will still get it! Think probably wise to wait till it is announced. Cheers.

Bean 06-03-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 21896)
Hi all,
A question on PB & resignation

If I tender my resignation before PB is announced in early/mid-March but my last day is 30 April (> 1 mth notice), theoretically I should still get my PB right?

Just wonder if there's any chance that they may decide to lower my PB than the previously intended amount (since it is not announced yet)? Or any danger that I may not be getting any at all?

Thanks!

in the april salary, you will get your PB + the merit increment, after you PB is deposit into your bank, then tender loh

miwashi 06-03-2012 12:31 PM

All your questions are answered in IM2B

Unregistered 12-03-2012 04:22 PM

Confirmation
 
Hey guys,

I've heard recently of ppl not being confirmed, can that be true??

Unregistered 13-03-2012 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 22173)
Hey guys,

I've heard recently of ppl not being confirmed, can that be true??

Am assuming you are referring to fresh graduates in ministries put on 1 yr contract at MX13. Its possible not to be confirmed which basically means your boss thinks you are not suitable for the job. When you are confirmed i.e. 'promoted' to MX12, you are either put on perm estab or given a three year contract. 'promoted' is in quotes because most ppl dont really think of it as a promotion as it is almost given. You need to put in effort to let your bosses think you suck. hahaha.

skoolboi76 14-03-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 18572)
even though i'm still under probation when pb is given out?

also, would like to check another thing. it was stated in the hr website that they will moderate our gradings. so that means there will definitely be ppl who will get a D grade due to moderation right? even though the person may actually meet expectations. and D grades are not entitled to any bonus at all? isn that very unfair?

Indeed giving employee grading based on quota system is unfair. Why do we have to limit the number of As,Bs,Cs and Ds for every grade??? Employee won't be graded fairly especially when money is at stack ???? It should be abolished. If supervisor thinks everyone within the department deserve an A then so be it. Of course it will mean rewarding more $$$ for that PB month . Government can afford it ?????i doubt ...

Unregistered 14-03-2012 09:02 PM

Of course every boss would want to give as many of his staff 'A'. But ultimately, the bonus pool is fixed and is distributed accordingly to the performance of the staff. Secondly, if everyone gets 'A', its as good as saying that everyone is performing equally. We know that that is not the case. The idea is to reward the top performing staff and motivate staff to perform. At corporate level, there are differences between bonus, so if a particular department perform very well (which is hard to quantify because department's KPIs are different), staff from that department might receive some additional reward.

Also, among department, there is technically no quota on the number of 'A's, 'B's or 'C' that the Director can award. However, at the corporate level or higher level, the Director have to justify why it is his/her staff that should get the 'A' rather than that some other staff from the other department. This is usually not easy (if it is, it means someone boss is not doing his/her work to fight for his/her staff).

skoolboi76 14-03-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 22307)
Of course every boss would want to give as many of his staff 'A'. But ultimately, the bonus pool is fixed and is distributed accordingly to the performance of the staff. Secondly, if everyone gets 'A', its as good as saying that everyone is performing equally. We know that that is not the case. The idea is to reward the top performing staff and motivate staff to perform. At corporate level, there are differences between bonus, so if a particular department perform very well (which is hard to quantify because department's KPIs are different), staff from that department might receive some additional reward.

Also, among department, there is technically no quota on the number of 'A's, 'B's or 'C' that the Director can award. However, at the corporate level or higher level, the Director have to justify why it is his/her staff that should get the 'A' rather than that some other staff from the other department. This is usually not easy (if it is, it means someone boss is not doing his/her work to fight for his/her staff).

When talking about every bosses giving his/her fellow employees GOOD gradings , at the same time there will be some who dun .... Speaking of the term performances , the definition is actually really wide. Whats wrong with giving your fellow employees better grades when you think he/she deserve it??? The problem lies with the current system when normination have to be highlighted for the best and worse employee . Fact is how can we be sure employee who is given A is actually performing at his/hers best not by practising bias between bosses and employee??? Personal I have encountered people who are gotten good grades usually based on favourism by bosses or the upper level. At the end of the day , not all grading are processed with fairness. If that is so , why restrict the quota system on PB???Meaningless. Hence,answer is very simple, if every bosses should give their employee at least a B , with no restriction nor quota system , the total amount of bonus will accuminate into an imaginable amount which our dear TOP management have to fork out. With this current quota system , this phenomenon will never happened. Take recent incentive by recent certain GOV sector to attract "new , capable and effective" officers by rewarding a lum sum of 8 to 10 K for diploma holders. New, I agree but capable and effective, we can never know. One thing for sure, they most proablilty are here for the good incentive another word = MONEY.

Bottomline, those who gotten A = the best of the best ????? No really ... Empolyee who gotten D = Worse of the kind??? ....

Unregistered 14-03-2012 11:15 PM

Based on what you say, the point is not about awarding deserving staff 'A's or 'B's, but:

1) to increase the amount of bonuses awarded.
2) unhappiness over non-consistency of grading by bosses.

For (1), public sectors have allocated budgets, which rightfully, are paid by tax-payers. Hence, it is the responsibility of the public sector to not spend money carelessly. As I wrote previously, the bonus budget is fixed and shared accordingly. Giving more 'B's doesn't mean top management need to pay more, it just mean everyone get less. If you are a top performer, you wouldn't be happy.

For (2), your performance should already be determined by KPIs that were set in your prior assessment or meetings with your bosses. If you feel you have met or exceed your KPI and is unsatisfied with your grade, there are usually venues for you to seek higher management intervention.

Note that meeting most of your KPI only qualifies you for a "C" grade. "B" means you value-added to your job - to a certain extend, your boss and his/her boss knows the good work you have done, "A" usually means the organisation would find it difficult to do without you. In general, majority of staff will get the same grade except for a small percentage of 'B's and 'A's. Often I see more staff who are contented to be "C" than try to become a "B" or "A" because the differences in bonus from "C" to "B" or "A" is actually not big enough to motivate them.

Rightfully, good people get good grades, otherwise the department/organisation will slowly degrade into a F-up place and staff will start to leave. If you are in such a situation, I suggest you tactically ask for a transfer. Also bootlicking will only get a person so-far, at the end of the day, if the person can't meet his/her KPI, it will still be hard to justify the person's grade. This is especially true the higher up the person gets.

Also, for your info, the appraisal is part of a larger ranking exercise where EVERY employee is ranked. If you ranked poorly, there is no way your boss can give you good grades even if he/she wants to. Again, this exercise is not only department wide, but usually consolidated at the organisation level. So, if you managed to piss other bosses, this is when they get back at you. Likewise, if a staff does not perform, there is only so much his/her boss can do for him/her.


Quote:

Originally Posted by skoolboi76 (Post 22311)
When talking about every bosses giving his/her fellow employees GOOD gradings , at the same time there will be some who dun .... Speaking of the term performances , the definition is actually really wide. Whats wrong with giving your fellow employees better grades when you think he/she deserve it??? The problem lies with the current system when normination have to be highlighted for the best and worse employee . Fact is how can we be sure employee who is given A is actually performing at his/hers best not by practising bias between bosses and employee??? Personal I have encountered people who are gotten good grades usually based on favourism by bosses or the upper level. At the end of the day , not all grading are processed with fairness. If that is so , why restrict the quota system on PB???Meaningless. Hence,answer is very simple, if every bosses should give their employee at least a B , with no restriction nor quota system , the total amount of bonus will accuminate into an imaginable amount which our dear TOP management have to fork out. With this current quota system , this phenomenon will never happened. Take recent incentive by recent certain GOV sector to attract "new , capable and effective" officers by rewarding a lum sum of 8 to 10 K for diploma holders. New, I agree but capable and effective, we can never know. One thing for sure, they most proablilty are here for the good incentive another word = MONEY.

Bottomline, those who gotten A = the best of the best ????? No really ... Empolyee who gotten D = Worse of the kind??? ....


skoolboi76 15-03-2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 22312)
Based on what you say, the point is not about awarding deserving staff 'A's or 'B's, but:

1) to increase the amount of bonuses awarded.
2) unhappiness over non-consistency of grading by bosses.

For (1), public sectors have allocated budgets, which rightfully, are paid by tax-payers. Hence, it is the responsibility of the public sector to not spend money carelessly. As I wrote previously, the bonus budget is fixed and shared accordingly. Giving more 'B's doesn't mean top management need to pay more, it just mean everyone get less. If you are a top performer, you wouldn't be happy.

For (2), your performance should already be determined by KPIs that were set in your prior assessment or meetings with your bosses. If you feel you have met or exceed your KPI and is unsatisfied with your grade, there are usually venues for you to seek higher management intervention.

Note that meeting most of your KPI only qualifies you for a "C" grade. "B" means you value-added to your job - to a certain extend, your boss and his/her boss knows the good work you have done, "A" usually means the organisation would find it difficult to do without you. In general, majority of staff will get the same grade except for a small percentage of 'B's and 'A's. Often I see more staff who are contented to be "C" than try to become a "B" or "A" because the differences in bonus from "C" to "B" or "A" is actually not big enough to motivate them.

Rightfully, good people get good grades, otherwise the department/organisation will slowly degrade into a F-up place and staff will start to leave. If you are in such a situation, I suggest you tactically ask for a transfer. Also bootlicking will only get a person so-far, at the end of the day, if the person can't meet his/her KPI, it will still be hard to justify the person's grade. This is especially true the higher up the person gets.

Also, for your info, the appraisal is part of a larger ranking exercise where EVERY employee is ranked. If you ranked poorly, there is no way your boss can give you good grades even if he/she wants to. Again, this exercise is not only department wide, but usually consolidated at the organisation level. So, if you managed to piss other bosses, this is when they get back at you. Likewise, if a staff does not perform, there is only so much his/her boss can do for him/her.

Seriously , is this what you really think is going on meaning your management had train you well ..... Good for you and happy for your management.

Unregistered 15-03-2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 22312)
Based on what you say, the point is not about awarding deserving staff 'A's or 'B's, but:

1) to increase the amount of bonuses awarded.
2) unhappiness over non-consistency of grading by bosses.

For (1), public sectors have allocated budgets, which rightfully, are paid by tax-payers. Hence, it is the responsibility of the public sector to not spend money carelessly. As I wrote previously, the bonus budget is fixed and shared accordingly. Giving more 'B's doesn't mean top management need to pay more, it just mean everyone get less. If you are a top performer, you wouldn't be happy.

For (2), your performance should already be determined by KPIs that were set in your prior assessment or meetings with your bosses. If you feel you have met or exceed your KPI and is unsatisfied with your grade, there are usually venues for you to seek higher management intervention.

Note that meeting most of your KPI only qualifies you for a "C" grade. "B" means you value-added to your job - to a certain extend, your boss and his/her boss knows the good work you have done, "A" usually means the organisation would find it difficult to do without you. In general, majority of staff will get the same grade except for a small percentage of 'B's and 'A's. Often I see more staff who are contented to be "C" than try to become a "B" or "A" because the differences in bonus from "C" to "B" or "A" is actually not big enough to motivate them.

Rightfully, good people get good grades, otherwise the department/organisation will slowly degrade into a F-up place and staff will start to leave. If you are in such a situation, I suggest you tactically ask for a transfer. Also bootlicking will only get a person so-far, at the end of the day, if the person can't meet his/her KPI, it will still be hard to justify the person's grade. This is especially true the higher up the person gets.

Also, for your info, the appraisal is part of a larger ranking exercise where EVERY employee is ranked. If you ranked poorly, there is no way your boss can give you good grades even if he/she wants to. Again, this exercise is not only department wide, but usually consolidated at the organisation level. So, if you managed to piss other bosses, this is when they get back at you. Likewise, if a staff does not perform, there is only so much his/her boss can do for him/her.

the thing is if ur boss sucks or is the condamn kind, nobody will listen to his recommendation of giving u A or B. This is what happened to me even though my boss told me I will get a good grade.

plus civil service skills are hardly transferable outside. if u r lucky u can change ur job, if not u r stuck there literally.

Unregistered 15-03-2012 09:29 PM

It's not what I think. It's what I practise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skoolboi76 (Post 22358)
Seriously , is this what you really think is going on meaning your management had train you well ..... Good for you and happy for your management.


orangeboy 17-03-2012 01:22 AM

PB
 
What does 1.5000 months PERFORMANCE BONUS (PB) mean when translate into grade for Mx 13?
Division I


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 09:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2