Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Companies (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/)
-   -   GovTech (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/8982-govtech.html)

Unregistered 10-01-2024 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 265199)
Is GovTech still hiring augmented resources for BA? What are the chances of getting converted? Any insights? Thank you! :)

From the last email, unlikely unless u are doing some high profile project. Get extended would be a more likely chance

Unregistered 10-01-2024 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 265285)
Heard Govtech GDS embarking on layoffs?

Good also. Keeping to their word. Cut off those unwanted fats

Unregistered 11-01-2024 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 265294)
Good also. Keeping to their word. Cut off those unwanted fats

I don’t mind being layoff as long as they pay me 1 month salary for each year worked. I am pretty sure GDS ppl can find good jobs else where.

Unregistered 11-01-2024 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 265348)
I don’t mind being layoff as long as they pay me 1 month salary for each year worked. I am pretty sure GDS ppl can find good jobs else where.

Uh if they're the fat, by definition they aren't doing much to begin with. Isn't getting monthly salary on an ongoing basis while working a cushy job better than a severance package?

Unregistered 11-01-2024 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 265364)
Uh if they're the fat, by definition they aren't doing much to begin with. Isn't getting monthly salary on an ongoing basis while working a cushy job better than a severance package?

Working in Govtech considered cushy job?

Unregistered 11-01-2024 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 265285)
Heard Govtech GDS embarking on layoffs?

hahaha. stat board won't layoff la. at most redeploy staff and go through 劳改 level retraining/PIP to 'encourage' them to find other jobs.

Unregistered 12-01-2024 04:44 PM

heard many PIC packing bags. How true?

Unregistered 12-01-2024 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 265397)
hahaha. stat board won't layoff la. at most redeploy staff and go through 劳改 level retraining/PIP to 'encourage' them to find other jobs.

Sure won't lay off. Dont renew those contract staff can alr lo

Unregistered 12-01-2024 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 265438)
heard many PIC packing bags. How true?

Pic is the ex indeed team? Jolly well lo. Not sure what contributions did they do

Unregistered 12-01-2024 07:57 PM

Mdr

Will MDR be reviewed and changed every year? Will it end up decreasing instead of increasing?

Unregistered 13-01-2024 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 265456)
Will MDR be reviewed and changed every year? Will it end up decreasing instead of increasing?

I dont think so. Only change is your annual increment ba

Unregistered 13-01-2024 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 265348)

Wouldn't be so sure. Job market is bad now...

Unregistered 14-01-2024 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 265456)

people worry about headcount on their teams still got time to demand higher salary meh?

i happy liao if everyone got their headcount renewed.

if they want to cut MDR so be it rather than seeing people leaving because they don't have options

Unregistered 15-01-2024 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 265590)
people worry about headcount on their teams still got time to demand higher salary meh?

i happy liao if everyone got their headcount renewed.

if they want to cut MDR so be it rather than seeing people leaving because they don't have options

Those individual contributor who are perm no need think of all these
Sure got job since perm alr

And these are not small amount of ppl. U still have to satisfy these bunch

Unregistered 16-01-2024 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 265599)

Not easy to reduce these numbers. try to lower pay and and some politican said that it will lead to corruption.

So the other option is to freeze perm headcount. But then still need to take care of parachutists and connected people - but the reason why they need to be taken care of is that they cannot make it elsewhere, so don't expect good stuff there.

You want to digitize the government and yet got so much dirty thing out there, how can you do it via open algorithms? you can only manage it using a select cadre and the 'you know i know' secret handshake.

Unregistered 19-01-2024 04:52 AM

Will there be any impact between permanent roles with a 2-year contract and those without a contract?

Unregistered 19-01-2024 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 265926)
Will there be any impact between permanent roles with a 2-year contract and those without a contract?

Either you are temp, or you are perm. both involve contracts. it is a clear cut distinction. anyone who is trying to say otherwise or claim it is a hybrid of both is trying to con you.

Unregistered 19-01-2024 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 265926)

All jobs have a contract, what are you talking about. But generally, when people say "perm" and "contract", they mean:

Perm = perm until you quit or get fired

Contract = employed for a fixed duration, e.g. 2 years, and either renewed, or leave at the end of 2 years upon expiry.

Unregistered 19-01-2024 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 265599)

Sorry there is no such thing as "sure got job". If your post no longer exists (as will happen to some roles), the staff will have to find a new role. So better to build the relevant competencies now and go for internal hiring before it's too late. If you cannot be redeployed, then good luck to you, even if you are perm staff. On the other hand, if you are relevant, then you will have a future in the organisation, even if you are contract staff.

Unregistered 20-01-2024 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 265983)
Sorry there is no such thing as "sure got job". If your post no longer exists (as will happen to some roles), the staff will have to find a new role. So better to build the relevant competencies now and go for internal hiring before it's too late. If you cannot be redeployed, then good luck to you, even if you are perm staff. On the other hand, if you are relevant, then you will have a future in the organisation, even if you are contract staff.

If you are perm staff, stat board like govtech will not fire you lah. at most redeploy to role without responsibility or find other stat boards/GLC to dump to (e.g. educational institutions) or at the very last resort offer "golden handshake".

Unregistered 20-01-2024 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 266052)
If you are perm staff, stat board like govtech will not fire you lah. at most redeploy to role without responsibility or find other stat boards/GLC to dump to (e.g. educational institutions) or at the very last resort offer "golden handshake".

You are completely mistaken. Everyone has to pull their weight. Otherwise, bye bye. And from your last sentence, you have quite an active imagination.

Unregistered 20-01-2024 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 265983)

I agree to some extend. I seen jlb in Govtech. They only do bare minimum only. They work in Govtech very long alr, so know how to play the game without getting spotlight

So what if get C? Or even C-? Just do bare minimum u will survive.

Only those on direct contract or third party need worry.

Perm staff just do as per normal, will surely survive la

Unregistered 20-01-2024 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 266064)
You are completely mistaken. Everyone has to pull their weight. Otherwise, bye bye. And from your last sentence, you have quite an active imagination.

As my previous post, in a nice way everyone must pull their weight la, do their part la bla bla bla.

But in reality, if u want chiong then put in additional effort. Those lao jiao dont even want to take credit. Just pay my salary can alr. Got bonus and increment? Awesome. Otherwise nvm

Unregistered 20-01-2024 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 265976)
All jobs have a contract, what are you talking about. But generally, when people say "perm" and "contract", they mean:

Perm = perm until you quit or get fired

Contract = employed for a fixed duration, e.g. 2 years, and either renewed, or leave at the end of 2 years upon expiry.

In a way sure. U sign up for any job also considered sign a contract.

ExGovTechie 20-01-2024 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 266078)
I agree to some extend. I seen jlb in Govtech. They only do bare minimum only. They work in Govtech very long alr, so know how to play the game without getting spotlight

So what if get C? Or even C-? Just do bare minimum u will survive.

Only those on direct contract or third party need worry.

Perm staff just do as per normal, will surely survive la

Last time my friend and i did well also get C cause need to give higher grade to certain people as they need to be promoted. LanJiao grading system, KPI is how many people under you or how many meetings you attended

Unregistered 20-01-2024 06:36 PM

its not about performance, its how well you kiss your RO ass or be your RO's dog. tats the talent they are looking for haaaaa..joke

Unregistered 20-01-2024 08:03 PM

Hey guys, can someone please share with me more about the learning opportunities at GovTech as an SWE? Do y’all think it is a good place to grow as an engineer and learn new things? Or is it v constrained? Thanks in advance!

Unregistered 20-01-2024 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 266107)
Hey guys, can someone please share with me more about the learning opportunities at GovTech as an SWE? Do y’all think it is a good place to grow as an engineer and learn new things? Or is it v constrained? Thanks in advance!

They hiring u as swe? Recently? Govtech GDS?

Unregistered 20-01-2024 10:57 PM

Quote:

Yes it is a good place to learn and grow as an SWE in GovTech GDS. There are not many companies in SG which has a relatively large group of SWEs; this provides the scale, opportunities and room for professional growth. Although there are some hiring constraints recently I would say it is still a good place if given the opportunity.

Unregistered 21-01-2024 01:22 PM

Quote:

don't put all your work on the latest and new fangled stuff. don't put all your work into systems that is only used internally and nowhere else.

put more effort into learning things that are transferable to other organizations. e.g. windows / linux administration, open source software etc.

Unregistered 21-01-2024 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExGovTechie (Post 266093)
Last time my friend and i did well also get C cause need to give higher grade to certain people as they need to be promoted. LanJiao grading system, KPI is how many people under you or how many meetings you attended

for a stat board (including govtech) and GLCs, this is a feature and not a bug.

this culture of meritocractic mediocrity helps to make sure that nothing changes or if changes have to happen, it goes extremely slowly.

if you want to do any of the move fast, earn big bucks, work on cutting edge tech stuff, don't join govt. no point making changing govt meet your expectations (hahaha)

Unregistered 30-01-2024 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 144934)
This is the tricky part. Are you considered direct contract with GovTech or you are considered outsourced headcount? This will make a very big difference in your career path.

Any idea the possiblity of converting from outsourced contact to Govtech?

Unregistered 30-01-2024 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 267045)
Any idea the possiblity of converting from outsourced contact to Govtech?

Unless u are well known for your coding skills or actually save mankind, dont think so

Unregistered 30-01-2024 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 267053)
Unless u are well known for your coding skills or actually save mankind, dont think so

oh please, if can so good save mankind why join govtech? can join SpaceX for more tok kong mission goals -> colonize mars.

anyway govtech is still as stat board. no need to be inventive, just follow policy collect salary.

Unregistered 30-01-2024 10:38 PM

Indeed sagat how? All under the carpet liao? Everyone happi

Unregistered 31-01-2024 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 267078)

No one stir means good news

Unregistered 03-02-2024 12:05 PM

Not bad ah, at least govtech and agd ok to shift back to Feb credit salary to help with the credit interest

Unregistered 03-02-2024 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 267075)
oh please, if can so good save mankind why join govtech? can join SpaceX for more tok kong mission goals -> colonize mars.

anyway govtech is still as stat board. no need to be inventive, just follow policy collect salary.

Unfortunately SpaceX and NASA need security clearance to join. Don’t think most SGporeans can pass it. Not 100% sure what the requirements are tho cause I only briefly looked at the role.

The next best thing in SG in terms of public good is to build systems to advance our healthcare etc and to support our ministries and citizens.

Unregistered 03-02-2024 06:08 PM

As govtechies, we are here to contribute our skillsets to make a meaningful difference in the lives of SGporeans and set an example in the world stage.

That’s why we are here and develop our efforts and improve our skills constantly for the good of the people. As such, we are expected to be compensated fairly for our efforts and strive to be the best to fulfill the purpose of making the world a better place.

Sure money is important, but as long as it is competitive, we are here for the good.

Unregistered 03-02-2024 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 267078)

Looks like one unit of indeed is not enough for the dce. He is recently doing hackathon with ogp. Maybe he wants to join them instead and be their lead engineer