Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Companies (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/)
-   -   ST Electronics (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/3060-st-electronics.html)

Unregistered 30-04-2021 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 167058)
They cannot keep track because they purposely don't want to keep track.
Either that.. Or they lack the skills and technical experience to manage a project...

Example our project is cloud based. The manager don't know cloud how to deploy. Etc.
How is he going to manage?? His previous experience are those logistic. Excel file. Diagram. Server room..

Cloud is different beast. No experience. Hire that manager for what?

As a manager in ST, no need to know how things work as long as his subordinates know how to do their work, just need to manage them

Unregistered 30-04-2021 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 166995)
Can confirm...
Manager A: eh engineer B, can you help me process this, I've spoken to your manager B about this...
Engineer B: OK right away...
Manager B: engineer B what is the update on this? Why is there no progress.
Engineer B: boss, I'm working on that portion for manager A.
Manager B: why you work on that? I got give you approval meh? Please don't anyhow do things without my approval.
Engineer B: but manager A said he has spoken to you about it? I'm confused.
Manager B: yes he have spoken to me but I never agree to do. I also never decline.
Engineer B: so do or not?
Manager B: don't do first, let me settle with manager A.

(never settle involved higher manager C)

Manager B: what's the update?
Engineer B: you said don't do first wait for your approval..
Manager B: omg then you been working on what? Manager C want urgent update cause manager A updated him...
Engineer B (approach manager A) : so this part how to do? I need some guidance.
Manager A: your manager B say I cannot ask you must go through him. So you better ask him.
Engineer B: boss, manager A ask me to get your approval on how to proceed on this...
Manager B: don't know la. Never ask you to do. You go do for people. Now escalated to big boss become our problem. You solve it.

Engineer B: quit

Omg this made me laugh so hard because it's so true!

Unregistered 30-04-2021 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 167057)
My manager excuse is the best..
"I have too many project meeting I can't even keep track"

My response to him..
"then I one person have so many project to execute with details, I can keep track ah while your pay is 3x mine?"

If manager cannot keep track just meeting.
Why we need to keep the manager? Fire. Get a better manager right?

Your manager or PM still bother to find an excuse. My pet boss PM doesn't even try to find an excuse or smoke us through, he just says "I don't keep track." Then again, boss pet can do no wrong...

Unregistered 30-04-2021 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 167062)
Your manager or PM still bother to find an excuse. My pet boss PM doesn't even try to find an excuse or smoke us through, he just says "I don't keep track." Then again, boss pet can do no wrong...

Is ST really that bad?

Unregistered 30-04-2021 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 167059)
As a manager in ST, no need to know how things work as long as his subordinates know how to do their work, just need to manage them

You nailed the problem and the issue!

Outside world. Manager is manage customer. Manager serve as the focal point for customer to shoot. Liaise delegate. Manager manage customer.

In ST, manager manage employee. But manager lack the knowledge so how to manage?
So end up have someone with the pay of a manager just to check your progress.

And you begin to ask yourself. Why don't just fire the manager and increase all the existing employee pay now with the fired manager.

Why need so many manager? Why need a business unit manager. Then a division manager. Then a deputy division manager. Then a team manager. Then a project manager. Then a project lead manager. Then a team lead. Then another operations manager. Then a businee development manager. Then a technology manager? So many ****ing manager...

Why need so many ****ING lead in job title and so called manager but no one is actually doing the work?? Other than just talk and discuss about a project that for 4 years still in discussion phase? While justifying the high pay for all this 10k per month manager...

Unregistered 30-04-2021 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 167064)
Is ST really that bad?

Bad. Outside people they brag about the "project" I managed a million dollar project with xxxx from start to delivery etc...

Here manager brag about "length of service", I'm with ST for 20 years. I should be the VP. Why the new guy 5 years only but brought in profit become VP...

Everyone just bragging they 15 years to 20 years bla bla.
Ywah 15 years of just leeching the company and taichi your way up.

Can't convert your staff to perm cause no project means you guys failed as a VP. So why is company paying you 10, to 15 k per month then...

Unregistered 30-04-2021 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 167064)
Is ST really that bad?

It's bad for new people.
It's good for old people.
It's bad for old people who don't play along or lost in the office politics. No career growth.
It's good for people who loves all this connection and office politics they confirm will promote fast.
It's bad for people with value.
It's good for people with no value.

It's bad for first class honours. Their intellect and hardwork is seen as "doesn't fit the culture"
It's good for no class honours. They can thrive in a place where you just let your group member do the work while you get the grade by being the part of the group...

Here you learn to be two face.
You learn to be "professional" in front of other managers. But you learn to backstab and manipulate staff to fight the dirty politics.

If you are an engineer you will have most likely been used in the politics without you knowing.

Unregistered 30-04-2021 10:20 AM

ST politics is the same as army politics.
Self explanatory

Unregistered 30-04-2021 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 167068)
Bad. Outside people they brag about the "project" I managed a million dollar project with xxxx from start to delivery etc...

Here manager brag about "length of service", I'm with ST for 20 years. I should be the VP. Why the new guy 5 years only but brought in profit become VP...

Everyone just bragging they 15 years to 20 years bla bla.
Ywah 15 years of just leeching the company and taichi your way up.

Can't convert your staff to perm cause no project means you guys failed as a VP. So why is company paying you 10, to 15 k per month then...

Even when projects were coming in, there is no incentive for them to convert because of project costing. They only convert when they have perm headcounts to fill. So if an E5 has many E6 and M1 above him, he can forget about the promotion until someone up the hierarchy got promoted or quit.

Worse still, if the engineer is the only one with that particular job scope or appointment, can wait for ages before getting promoted, probably about 7-8 years, probably after a mass exodus.

Unregistered 30-04-2021 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 167067)

Outside world. Manager is manage customer. Manager serve as the focal point for customer to shoot. Liaise delegate. Manager manage customer.

In ST, manager manage employee. But manager lack the knowledge so how to manage?

And you begin to ask yourself. Why don't just fire the manager and increase all the existing employee pay now with the fired manager.

Why need so many manager? Why need a business unit manager. Then a division manager. Then a deputy division manager. Then a team manager. Then a project manager. Then a project lead manager. Then a team lead. Then another operations manager. Then a businee development manager. Then a technology manager? So many ****ing manager...

Why need so many ****ING lead in job title and so called manager but no one is actually doing the work?? Other than just talk and discuss about a project that for 4 years still in discussion phase? While justifying the high pay for all this 10k per month manager...

I don't know how things work in ST because I have never worked in ST before. I share speaking from the perspective of a managerial role holder in an MNC.

My background: Diploma in Electronics, Staff Engineer, 13 years experience, LSS Green belt, PMP certified.
Employment history: all US and European MNCs.
Former roles: Design engineer & Process engineer (5 Years)
Current Role: Project Management (8 Years)

I run 3 to 8 projects concurrently in my 8 years of experience on projects to ensure the product development roadmap gates are bought off by the relevant project members. Also, plan and request the budget to ensure the project is financially provided. Communicates with customers and suppleirs. I have to take accountability for the delays if the deadlines in the development gates are not met. Set up and execute response plan if customers change their minds.

Also, there is a strong need to be familiar with the products we are developing for customers so I can provide the various resources to the the team who run the other functions. When there is a problem, lead the team and arrange for resources to overcome the problem so as to avoid jeopardizing deadlines.

Sometimes, we get a new product concept and without new knowledge, I need to work with the design engineers and product management team to learn about these new products as we move. Each project that runs to production can take about a year to 2 depending on the complexities of design and business. So 4 years still in discussion phase sounds like a lot of wasted time. Some of my cheaper projects can cost from the hundreds or K to millions depending on the customer and equipments involved.

Although there were many challenges along the way, I benefitted with learning from my project members as we worked and delivered. So reading the way how ST works sounds bizarre and surreal. How can there be an organization having such a toxic culture of rearing freeloaders in their backyard for so many years without taking action on them? Incredulous.

Unregistered 30-04-2021 12:05 PM

Any advice

I work at mnc holding diploma international less than 3.6k
As help desk executive

St offer 4k
But E4 grade

Should I go

Unregistered 30-04-2021 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 167088)
I work at mnc holding diploma international less than 3.6k
As help desk executive

St offer 4k
But E4 grade

Should I go

If you just want to be a help desk exec for the rest of your life, then join them.

Unregistered 30-04-2021 12:51 PM

More advice

Working as mmc past 4 Year as help desk executive getting 3.6
My company notice 2 month

But st offer

Permanent
e4 grade as assistant engineer

Please advise me more ...

Unregistered 30-04-2021 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 167090)
Working as mmc past 4 Year as help desk executive getting 3.6
My company notice 2 month

But st offer

Permanent
e4 grade as assistant engineer

Please advise me more ...

So high?
I joined last year. E6 4.2k only wtf. Am I lowballed?

Unregistered 30-04-2021 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 167099)
So high?
I joined last year. E6 4.2k only wtf. Am I lowballed?

Yes before the new salary scheme 4.2k is in the range of E6.
Now after new salary scheme. No aws. And bonus also less.

The basic should be in the 5k range now.

So yes. You have been low balled into the old pay scheme while most of us is in the new pay scheme now.
And yes. Fresh grad already earning 5k senior pay nowadays.

So see a fresh grad. Tekan a fresh grad.
Must remember.

Unregistered 30-04-2021 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 167101)
Yes before the new salary scheme 4.2k is in the range of E6.
Now after new salary scheme. No aws. And bonus also less.

The basic should be in the 5k range now.

So yes. You have been low balled into the old pay scheme while most of us is in the new pay scheme now.
And yes. Fresh grad already earning 5k senior pay nowadays.

So see a fresh grad. Tekan a fresh grad.
Must remember.

I’m fresh grad E5 only 3.5k, why you wanna tekan me?

Unregistered 30-04-2021 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 167105)
I’m fresh grad E5 only 3.5k, why you wanna tekan me?

How come you still in old scheme?
My division E5 bragging he 4.5k only and he not happy cause its not 5k

Unregistered 30-04-2021 04:47 PM

pls lah...

monthly pay looks higher, but annual package is actually same or even lower (bonus cut)

Unregistered 30-04-2021 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 167118)
pls lah...

monthly pay looks higher, but annual package is actually same or even lower (bonus cut)

Some people like that feel good effect of having a superficially higher pay.
Getting paid well to do nothing until a retrenchment/restructuring takes place and they find themselve out of job. I hope they can survive.

Unregistered 30-04-2021 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 167067)

Delegation of tasks : Division manager -> Deputy Division Manager -> Department Manager -> Deputy Department Manager -> Project Director -> Project Manager -> Team Lead -> Project Engineer

Other meetings that Project Engineer will need to settle after on top arrow down on him :
Operation Manager -> Operational issues
Technical Manager -> Technical issues
Account Manager -> Pre-sales tender
Product Manager -> Product issues
QA Manager -> Quality issues
Procurement Manager -> Supplier issues

Unregistered 30-04-2021 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 167118)
pls lah...

every month u get higher pay u can invest the money. rather than wait for 1 year.
also u can quit anytime don't have to endure until 1 year.
also u don't have to worry management give u bad grade and give u low bonus that is the worst low basic and low bonus.

at least now high base, got bonus or not dont care.
just dont work hard can liao.

Unregistered 01-05-2021 07:46 AM

Will Stengg Electronics still be in existence after their company wide restructuring?

Unregistered 01-05-2021 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 167207)
Will Stengg Electronics still be in existence after their company wide restructuring?

You worry for what?
As E5 very soon I can draw 5k a month. No need to work just need to have subordinates under me and they know how to work. With a degree, I can find a job in any MNC. Because I will be considered as experienced.

Unregistered 01-05-2021 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 167216)
You worry for what?
As E5 very soon I can draw 5k a month. No need to work just need to have subordinates under me and they know how to work. With a degree, I can find a job in any MNC. Because I will be considered as experienced.

You are either a troll or a disconnected fool.

Unregistered 03-05-2021 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 167292)

He's just a troll, same one lurking in this thread for a long time posting stuff.

Unregistered 04-05-2021 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 167292)

And you are that self entitled diploma loser who thinks you can promote faster because you have experience or show result. So in your logic, my 4 years of degree is nothing? So many others have a degree because they slog so hard to get a degree and someone like you think you can come here and promote faster because you have some experience? Don't be lazy la. Go and take a degree and you can promote too.

Unregistered 04-05-2021 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 167507)
And you are that self entitled diploma loser who thinks you can promote faster because you have experience or show result. So in your logic, my 4 years of degree is nothing? So many others have a degree because they slog so hard to get a degree and someone like you think you can come here and promote faster because you have some experience? Don't be lazy la. Go and take a degree and you can promote too.

Yes your degree is useless.
It's just entitled you to the fresh grad pay.
That's all.

Unregistered 04-05-2021 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 167508)
Yes your degree is useless.
It's just entitled you to the fresh grad pay.
That's all.

You are wrong la. If that is the case then how come we promote faster than diploma holders? If the diploma holders can do what we do then what for we study so hard? How can a diploma holder be a senior engineer? Base on what?

Unregistered 04-05-2021 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 167511)
You are wrong la. If that is the case then how come we promote faster than diploma holders? If the diploma holders can do what we do then what for we study so hard? How can a diploma holder be a senior engineer? Base on what?

Have you worked in a MNC before?

Unregistered 04-05-2021 11:52 AM

MNC promote based on meritocracy lah , why bother with this coy rofl

Unregistered 04-05-2021 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 167511)

Cause diploma holder is capped by their education.

Just like how the cleaning staff pay won't ever be more than a fresh grad.
Again a degree only entitled you the fresh grad starting pay.

Whether you have the skill set to justify that pay. It's debatable.

Unregistered 04-05-2021 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 167516)
MNC promote based on meritocracy lah , why bother with this coy rofl

Merit my ass la.

They see you too good they also won't promote you if they sense that you will leave anyway wirh the higher pay...

So yep. Don't waste time with this coy.

Join this only if you want to retire already

Unregistered 04-05-2021 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 167519)
Cause diploma holder is capped by their education.

Just like how the cleaning staff pay won't ever be more than a fresh grad.
Again a degree only entitled you the fresh grad starting pay.

Whether you have the skill set to justify that pay. It's debatable.

Ya la. Diploma holder at most can be engineer only. All those who say they diploma manage degree holder or become staff engineer are just big cannon.

Unregistered 04-05-2021 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 167513)
Have you worked in a MNC before?

Is it important? In ST I don't need to know my work but I can draw high pay and promote. With a degree i confirm higher than you. Better than your mnc.

Unregistered 04-05-2021 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 167526)
Is it important? In ST I don't need to know my work but I can draw high pay and promote. With a degree i confirm higher than you. Better than your mnc.

Why need to hire a degree holder mechanic lol.
It's like a degree holder hawker stall.

It's the hawker stall that cook good tasty food that matters.
Not your degree or cleanliness grade.

Alot of degree holder is like want aircon kopitiam etc. Want to overcharge one howl of noodle.
Get the food they create is low par. A non degree also can do...

But degree holder delusional fight with other degree holder fusion expensive hawker food.
While the uncle and auntie still sell 3.5 dollars bowl of noddle.

Degree holder serve up a plate of 6.5 dollars but the taste is below average and the high price is just add canned abalone

Unregistered 04-05-2021 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 167531)
Why need to hire a degree holder mechanic lol.
It's like a degree holder hawker stall.

It's the hawker stall that cook good tasty food that matters.
Not your degree or cleanliness grade.

Alot of degree holder is like want aircon kopitiam etc. Want to overcharge one howl of noodle.
Get the food they create is low par. A non degree also can do...

But degree holder delusional fight with other degree holder fusion expensive hawker food.
While the uncle and auntie still sell 3.5 dollars bowl of noddle.

Degree holder serve up a plate of 6.5 dollars but the taste is below average and the high price is just add canned abalone

Yeah basically a non chef with degree holder expects high paid in hawker environment but lack the quality and skills of actual Michelin star chef.

Can't even be employed in restaurants like marina Bay sands but want to come to old neighbours hawker center and make noise about how they are entitled to sell 6.5 dollars noddle with no proven sales record...

Fresh grad in today age is like Instagram social media. Its all surface level and appearance level.
But the actual core skill is lacking

Unregistered 04-05-2021 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 167532)
Yeah basically a non chef with degree holder expects high paid in hawker environment but lack the quality and skills of actual Michelin star chef.

Can't even be employed in restaurants like marina Bay sands but want to come to old neighbours hawker center and make noise about how they are entitled to sell 6.5 dollars noddle with no proven sales record...

Fresh grad in today age is like Instagram social media. Its all surface level and appearance level.
But the actual core skill is lacking

I talk about engineering you talk about cooking.

Unregistered 04-05-2021 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 167536)
I talk about engineering you talk about cooking.

Can you describe what an engineer do daily?

Cause I see my engineer colleague daily schedule is as follows and I don't get which part makes him an engineer.

830 am come office
900 am breakfast in canteen
930 am check email or prepare for meeting.
1000 am meeting with boss to just give update. No PowerPoint slide etc. Usually just end up discussing problem. Like this guys this problem. Customer don't want to sign this. They want a demo etc...
1130 am to lunch.
130 pm come back lunch.
200 pm do some paper work fill up form to buy stuff. Not sure what.
300 pm he brain dead tired keep going toilet or go store room to check stuff.
4 pm tea break before canteen close.
5 pm come back chit chat with colleague about problem.
530 pm go home.

Not sure what an engineer really do?
I don't see any design. Or draw plans.
Or engineer or calculate power or draw circuit?
Sometimes I wonder this job so brainless do you really need a 6 to 7k senior engineer to just meeting and check store room?

Some days it's just always in meeting room.
Or some days it's always at the test lab.
But can't really see any product or design.

So engineer do what one?

Unregistered 04-05-2021 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 167540)

Cause I see my engineer colleague daily schedule is as follows and I don't get which part makes him an engineer.

830 am come office
1000 am meeting with boss to just give update. No PowerPoint slide etc. Usually just end up discussing problem. Like this guys this problem. Customer don't want to sign this. They want a demo etc...
1130 am to lunch.
130 pm come back lunch.
530 pm go home.

Sometimes I wonder this job so brainless do you really need a 6 to 7k senior engineer to just meeting and check store room?

So engineer do what one?

Engineer solve engineering problem lo haha.

Unregistered 04-05-2021 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 167540)

830 am come office
1130 am to lunch.
130 pm come back lunch.
530 pm go home.

So engineer do what one?

Engineer manage technicians. I no need to know anything about projects or anything as long as my men know how to do it. That's why degree holder can promote above engineer. Period.