Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Companies (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/)
-   -   ST Electronics (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/3060-st-electronics.html)

Unregistered 08-03-2021 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorgiHamster (Post 158124)
wa also IT related but the pay not even near mid 4k ah? i thought data/AI/robotics all at least 4.5k+ or even possible 5k+ sia

Maybe if you join tesla they see you more valuable? Or join the Boston dynamics make robo doggo
What robotics /AI product does ST produce?

Even gahmen just buy the robbo doggo..
Maybe you can try that company that builds robot to clean...

CorgiHamster 08-03-2021 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 158130)
Just a hearsay. Don't take my words for the truth. On average this is what you will get. Maybe your starting salary can get >=5k, depending on how you manage to negotiate your package. You enter, you realize pay package from FCH from NTU and other universities almost no difference. You come in even if you are a high earner compared to other E5s, need at least 3 years of grade A straight for promotion or 5 years on average before promotion. You will realize you usually are working for someone who doesn't have your interests in play. If your manager is not favored by his/her manager, even worse. You will probably have to tank a lot of nonsense because you are 'FCH' from NTU. Also your career fast-track or not depending on whether your manager want to fast track you or someone he/she prefers.

SGIS is also half-funded by the ministry and half-funded by ST(not sure about the percentages now). This means that assuming you are 4 years NTU program, you have to serve 4 years of work in ST (minimally) for 2 years of funds that ST paid for.

On a personal note, I tried to go to their AI department many times. I was constantly being told that the AI department is not earning money and finding reasons to cut people. I know the person in charge of their AI department previously. Let's just say he wasn't around after October 2020.

thanks for the detailed response. from what i know, SgIS scholarship u cannot negotiate starting salary, its fixed one so thats a big risk. Also, i only got 1 year left in school so my bond will be 2 years only. I was thinking i can take SgIS, then zao after 2 years, but then if starting salary not good, future company salary also wont be high cuz its based on my previous salary. but yes, unfortunately, must see boss good anot in the end haiz

CorgiHamster 08-03-2021 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 158131)
Maybe if you join tesla they see you more valuable? Or join the Boston dynamics make robo doggo

wa if only i can join those big MNCs i won't be here already haha i honestly feel im not good enough to join such established big shot companies cuz my comp sci fundamentals not there. im actually mech eng but do alot of self learning on AI and robotics software, landed 3 AI internships but when it boils down to it, my fundamentals in programming not very strong, just average

Unregistered 08-03-2021 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorgiHamster (Post 158133)
thanks for the detailed response. from what i know, SgIS scholarship u cannot negotiate starting salary, its fixed one so thats a big risk. Also, i only got 1 year left in school so my bond will be 2 years only. I was thinking i can take SgIS, then zao after 2 years, but then if starting salary not good, future company salary also wont be high cuz its based on my previous salary. but yes, unfortunately, must see boss good anot in the end haiz

Only you can make the decision.
But if you got it, your resume will Foever look nice that you have this scholarship with a brand name.
As to the starting pay.

Well, you'll never win. Cause next year fresh grad will get higher pay than you.
And every year you will get lower pay. And finally realised that you're just keeping up with fresh grads!

Unregistered 08-03-2021 04:12 PM

Quote:

Yes. This is so true.

Unregistered 08-03-2021 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorgiHamster (Post 158134)
wa if only i can join those big MNCs i won't be here already haha i honestly feel im not good enough to join such established big shot companies cuz my comp sci fundamentals not there. im actually mech eng but do alot of self learning on AI and robotics software, landed 3 AI internships but when it boils down to it, my fundamentals in programming not very strong, just average

How you got first class honours from NTU?
If I'm not wrong fch is like the top 3% percent of your batch le.

NtU number 13 ranking in the world le. But MIT number 1.
So you should have went to NUS with the MIT degrees. That's the best combo
Nus for the local name and MIT for the global name.

If you come to ST also can la. But you have to accept that instead of going to NTU, you going to SIM and all your classmates try to skip school and your classmates get promoted cause they copy your work and you do alot of homework also no meaning caue the teacher himself is average and he promote the average student over you...

Be prepared for that. Then you're good to be in ST also

Unregistered 08-03-2021 04:18 PM

Quote:

Also you must take note that on a normal year ST's increment is only 3%. So your peers in the private sector can earn as much or outearn you by the end of your bond.

But having this scholarship is not all gloom. My only suggestion is if you take SGIS scholarship, go to a decent enough company that offers well enough. At the end of your bond. Move companies and ask for senior position.

CorgiHamster 08-03-2021 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 158140)
Also you must take note that on a normal year ST's increment is only 3%. So your peers in the private sector can earn as much or outearn you by the end of your bond.

But having this scholarship is not all gloom. My only suggestion is if you take SGIS scholarship, go to a decent enough company that offers well enough. At the end of your bond. Move companies and ask for senior position.

SgIS not alot of tech related jobs though. any examples of SgIS companies that does some AI/Robotics and pay well? got 2 friends in Micron that are doing data and software related role, 2nd upper not even 4k starting leh

Unregistered 08-03-2021 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorgiHamster (Post 158144)
SgIS not alot of tech related jobs though. any examples of SgIS companies that does some AI/Robotics and pay well? got 2 friends in Micron that are doing data and software related role, 2nd upper not even 4k starting leh

They kenna played out. Because Micron hire many Malaysians into their data team. I think their salaries kenna pushed down because of this. But must know Micron got OT pay. ST don't have. SgIS are more industry-heavy than tech. But I haven't kept abreast with their developments. I can't offer much advice on data analytics movement as I myself am in a similar predicament. Maybe you can try more direct scholarships like Changi Airport group, or NCS Nucleus program etc... (I do not endorse any companies, just asking you to do more dd in your searches) Rather than SgIS.

Please don't csi me.

CorgiHamster 08-03-2021 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 158131)

actually ST Land Systems got do robotics and AI stuff isnt it?

Unregistered 08-03-2021 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorgiHamster (Post 158149)
actually ST Land Systems got do robotics and AI stuff isnt it?

secret. we cannot confirm nor deny any speculations.

Unregistered 08-03-2021 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorgiHamster (Post 158107)
currently FCH from NTU, planning to apply for SgIS scholarship into ST, aiming to do Robotics & AI in ST. Anyone know how much the starting pay today? Heard from career coach is very high now, like mid 4k, but i see people here still burning ST for terrible pay?? very confused now

my recommendation to you is to join DSTA instead.

Unregistered 08-03-2021 10:43 PM

will there be bonus?

Unregistered 08-03-2021 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 158209)
will there be bonus?

you should count lucky we didn't not renew your contract

CorgiHamster 08-03-2021 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 158206)
my recommendation to you is to join DSTA instead.

tried applying mid term scholarship with them. no interview at all. will joining DSTA/DSO as a farmer be better than having the SgIS scholarship with companies like Micron or ST?

Unregistered 09-03-2021 08:39 AM

A very big misconception: SGIS means faster promotion and faster career track.

No guarantee for faster promotion nor faster career track. Only ST owned overseas scholars from imperial 4 years direct masters have better chance. SGIS is just equivalent of a fresh grad engineer from local uni. Seen SGIS scholars did alot but still slower progression than normal engineer. It all depends alot on your supervisor and exposure. End of the day, scholar is just a name. Its your take home pay at the end of the day that matters.

Unregistered 09-03-2021 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 158117)
Around 2016 ish the benchmark from HR is 3.6k...but 2019 got pay scheme change. So bonus go into base to make it more attractive but annual is the same.

So it's not unlikely frsh grad get 4k now. Cause my junior who joined 2019 asking for 3.5k got offered 3.6k.je was very happy cause company offered him more than he ask. But he didn't know he got the benchmark salary..

So after 1 year and pay change. His base become 4k become happy again. But he didn't realised that fresh grad joining that year is also 4k so he is still getting fresh grad pay after 1 year.

ST is good in illusion

I was E5 in ST for almost 5 years. Without promotion, the pay will lag behind new E5 hires every year. Unless the person can carry balls and promote every 2 years, the pay will definitely lag behind. Someone mentioned here that the annual increment is 3% and that wasn't what I experienced. The division I was in on average increment is 2% (back then is A grade) and less than 1.5% for C graders.

They can repackage their remunerations all they want but it's very obvious the pegging of salary to market-rate only applies for new hires. If not, all current staff will have a huge increase in salary.

Unregistered 09-03-2021 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 157696)
Agreed we contract have to do something or else contract not renewed.
Perm staff liao do or don't do will only end up with more promotion.

Even if you don't exceed expectations, you still be promoted based on length...

But its also good that perm staff quit la. Then outsource can be converted...

Good good.

Actually, a lot of perm staff left also not that good.

Once my former division had a lot of experienced hires leaving within a span of few months. So they had no choice but to mass promote those stuck at E5 for 5 to 7 years to E6. Not sure why but about 60% of the newly promoted E6s left within months.

Unregistered 09-03-2021 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 158226)
Actually, a lot of perm staff left also not that good.

Once my former division had a lot of experienced hires leaving within a span of few months. So they had no choice but to mass promote those stuck at E5 for 5 to 7 years to E6. Not sure why but about 60% of the newly promoted E6s left within months.

Sorry, I meant to promote and convert to perm.

Unregistered 09-03-2021 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 158202)
secret. we cannot confirm nor deny any speculations.

Lol play with robot then say so lah, simi secret lanjiao man

Unregistered 09-03-2021 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 158225)
I was E5 in ST for almost 5 years. Without promotion, the pay will lag behind new E5 hires every year. Unless the person can carry balls and promote every 2 years, the pay will definitely lag behind. Someone mentioned here that the annual increment is 3% and that wasn't what I experienced. The division I was in on average increment is 2% (back then is A grade) and less than 1.5% for C graders.

They can repackage their remunerations all they want but it's very obvious the pegging of salary to market-rate only applies for new hires. If not, all current staff will have a huge increase in salary.

This sounds quite stressful... The increment mentioned can't even outpace inflation. So the salary is getting smaller each year...

Unregistered 09-03-2021 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 158236)
This sounds quite stressful... The increment mentioned can't even outpace inflation. So the salary is getting smaller each year...

This is due to profit driven management with their kpi set by senior management mah.

You don't know they have to answer to investor so every year very concern about the financial curve etc.

So every division / department need to be lean and mean.
So manager get to keep their good high pay.
Just cut and starve the engineers.

That's how many division been doing it for years.
So the engineers who have skills quit etc. End up division can't deliver goods.
Can't innovate. Can't hit sales.

So end up? You'll think let's change the manager cause clearly they can't boost the business sales so why keep high paid managers? Right?

Nope. Wrong. When division can't sustain, cut manpower, cut outsource, cut admin, cut spending.
Cut budget, cut allowance, like recently my division is already starting to be particular about OT claim.

Before this, must OT cause less manpower... Covid. Deadline same.
Then management know asking can reduce OT or not. Cut resource. Then also want to cut OT.
But deadline still must meet.

Then when this disaster is saved... Engineers burnt out, quit. Low increment. Bonus doesn't match the extra hard work. No promotion...

And ofc manager get promoted even higher...
What logic.

Unregistered 09-03-2021 11:16 AM

Suggest those who are good/above average best to apply for jobs and tender quickly.
It will be great the masses of good ones leave together. This will send a clear message to the top.

Unregistered 09-03-2021 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 158238)
Suggest those who are good/above average best to apply for jobs and tender quickly.
It will be great the masses of good ones leave together. This will send a clear message to the top.

Let's make the share price tank together

Unregistered 09-03-2021 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 158238)

You're talking about managers who been here since ST started...
Like 30 years kind.
All immune liao.

You quit. So? Hire next batch. They will keep going higher.
House get bigger.
Car get bigger.

Unregistered 09-03-2021 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 158250)
Like 30 years kind.
All immune liao.

House get bigger.
Car get bigger.

Yep you think you M2 big shot.quit lo.then we can promote those M1...

Everyone is aiming long game in ST la.
All scratch each other back to survive but all back stab each other to climb.
Cause you want to retire with 6k pay or 16k pay.

You choose.
Even when old managers try to recruit young new talent.
Only to piss old folks off.

I would say the problem is rhe ST feels very old.
It's a old company. Old man company.
Hard to revitalise an old retirement company.

Unregistered 09-03-2021 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 158250)
Like 30 years kind.
All immune liao.

House get bigger.
Car get bigger.

That’s why everyone have to consolidate and one shot tender. They will be scrambling to find replacements

Unregistered 09-03-2021 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 158256)
That’s why everyone have to consolidate and one shot tender. They will be scrambling to find replacements

Already lost a few guaranteed projects from defence.
Cause old management assumed will confirmed get.
And never put in effort to win it.
Or maybe scared to win it then no engineers to deliver it.

Unregistered 09-03-2021 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 158256)

there will always be people who will stay on even it if sucks so it will never hurt the company enough.

Unregistered 09-03-2021 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 158302)
there will always be people who will stay on even it if sucks so it will never hurt the company enough.

You all think this is gamestop ah

Unregistered 10-03-2021 10:53 PM

After following this post for sometime, can some seniors enlighten me on the job prospects at info-security?

If there's any form of training provided on the job?

Graduating as a comp science student this year.

Many Thanks...

Unregistered 10-03-2021 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 158542)
After following this post for sometime, can some seniors enlighten me on the job prospects at info-security?

If there's any form of training provided on the job?

Graduating as a comp science student this year.

Many Thanks...

you better off start work at other company before u come ST retire :)

Unregistered 11-03-2021 01:25 AM

ST is the dumping ground aka last place you'll go. Hasnt been first choice for grads. Do your reading about them

Unregistered 11-03-2021 08:11 AM

I'm aware of other organisations program or plan to recruit... Or internship etc.

Somehow, even I worked in ST. I'm unaware of any initiative to recruit young blood...

Whenever conversations of fresh grad come up with management's.
It's usually...

Me: we need people with this specific skill sets to work on this project.
Management : so many? Can cut down just 1 or 2?
Me: the deadline very tight and the LD cost is high. Better we have some redundancy if only high 1 or 2 and they leave before the project due date.. It's very hard to retrain.
Management: how about 3? Hire 2 seniors 1 fresh grad as back up.
Me: we need 5 highly functional programmers. Can't afford to have a fresh grad. Learning curve is steep and time line is short..
Management : fresh grad cheaper..

In the end, I quit. From last I heard the management in charge of that prokect was promoted to head another business unit so he abandoned the project. A few others also left. So the new manager hired to clean up this mess actively hiring now. But it seems like they can't find people.

Oh what a surprise...

If you join ST. Be prepared to accept
1) low pay
2) no support or help from seniors
3) change of management every 1 or 2 years when their kpi already fulfilled
4) old technologies
5) lots of red tape
6) nothing to learn.
7) even learn liao only can be used in ST, can't transfer to other...

I suggest you Google those big name player in cyberscruity and join them instead. Then got the experience, skillet then only come to ST to retire.

ST is not pioneer in cybersecurity...

Everyone doing cyber security, senior management set direction want to setup cyber security division.. But existing staff all don't have this skill. Just hire outsource to fill the gap.

That's how ST works. Really a retirement village

Unregistered 11-03-2021 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 158582)
I'm aware of other organisations program or plan to recruit... Or internship etc.

Somehow, even I worked in ST. I'm unaware of any initiative to recruit young blood...

It's usually...

Me: the deadline very tight and the LD cost is high. Better we have some redundancy if only high 1 or 2 and they leave before the project due date.. It's very hard to retrain.
Me: we need 5 highly functional programmers. Can't afford to have a fresh grad. Learning curve is steep and time line is short..

In the end, I quit. From last I heard the management in charge of that prokect was promoted to head another business unit so he abandoned the project. A few others also left. So the new manager hired to clean up this mess actively hiring now. But it seems like they can't find people.

Oh what a surprise...

1) low pay
4) old technologies
5) lots of red tape
6) nothing to learn.

I suggest you Google those big name player in cyberscruity and join them instead. Then got the experience, skillet then only come to ST to retire.

Everyone doing cyber security, senior management set direction want to setup cyber security division.. But existing staff all don't have this skill. Just hire outsource to fill the gap.

totally agree...a old people old mindset retirement village...

Unregistered 11-03-2021 09:21 AM

Quote:

It's usually...

Oh what a surprise...

1) low pay
4) old technologies
5) lots of red tape
6) nothing to learn.

Wow I did not thought of this. Many Thanks to you all seniors. Guess I'll look for other companies instead.

Unregistered 11-03-2021 09:35 AM

Quote:

It's usually...

Oh what a surprise...

1) low pay
4) old technologies
5) lots of red tape
6) nothing to learn.

Many thanks for the insight view. Definitely will try other places.

Unregistered 11-03-2021 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 158588)
totally agree...a old people old mindset retirement village...

Not all divisions or business units are the same la.
When people think of ST Engineering, they just think of defence work...

Got mrt got bus got research lab...
The retirement sentiment maybe true in the defence side but other sides still have exciting and real world and fun challenges..

Unregistered 11-03-2021 10:12 AM

Quote:

It's usually...

Oh what a surprise...

1) low pay
4) old technologies
5) lots of red tape
6) nothing to learn.

Wise words. Never begin your career in ST. I did and am paying the price now. Pay way behind my peers and finding it difficult to move.

Unregistered 11-03-2021 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 158604)
Wise words. Never begin your career in ST. I did and am paying the price now. Pay way behind my peers and finding it difficult to move.

Not true... I have colleagues who can transfer across ST.
Anything quit jojn another division. Then that division cmi quit join another...

Cause the ST culture you can work in ST.

And they know you can take hardship so will rehire..
New people come in very hard to fit in the ST culture.

Once see the world cannot fit in.
If never seen the world, can accept. Like ns duty.

But leave also most will come back to the safety.
Join ST