Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 10-03-2019 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 114673)
i have masters and my salary is less than you working the same number of years.

I'm the poster you replied to. I'm 37 this year and joined the first SB with 3 years' of work experience. It's a slow climb for me but I'm sure you will have a edge with a masters by the time you are my age.

Ambition 11-03-2019 08:18 PM

Masters is easier than honours project?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 114673)
i have masters and my salary is less than you working the same number of years.

I agree. The person who posted his difficult climb, actually is quite fortunate.

Recently a few of my friends with masters complain, after putting in the effort to get masters and sacrificing family time, next job HR tells them that masters add zero value in the calculation of salary. It's just giving you an intangible advantage in terms of boss preferring you, and heighten probability of promotion (CEP if I may borrow this term)

If honours can add 200 dollars minimum, why is Masters disregarded and becomes an intangible advantage? The difficulty to obtain a Masters is not lower than an honours project.

I asked friends in HR, their closest answer is, 'boss says this position don't require' case closed.

Another case of false hopes given by gahmen that we are knowledge based economy?

Unregistered 12-03-2019 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ambition (Post 114740)
I agree. The person who posted his difficult climb, actually is quite fortunate.

Recently a few of my friends with masters complain, after putting in the effort to get masters and sacrificing family time, next job HR tells them that masters add zero value in the calculation of salary. It's just giving you an intangible advantage in terms of boss preferring you, and heighten probability of promotion (CEP if I may borrow this term)

If honours can add 200 dollars minimum, why is Masters disregarded and becomes an intangible advantage? The difficulty to obtain a Masters is not lower than an honours project.

I asked friends in HR, their closest answer is, 'boss says this position don't require' case closed.

Another case of false hopes given by gahmen that we are knowledge based economy?

There is no requirement for masters, why should HR pay you more if you have one? It is like applying for a normal office job and saying you have Class 2,3,4,5 driving licence and expecting extra $500 for this.

Unregistered 13-03-2019 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ambition (Post 114740)

In CS, at least for full-time post-graduate studies (ie. diploma, masters or PhD), pay increment is given provided the post-graduate study is directly relevant to the work.

Unregistered 14-03-2019 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 114144)
What is the low starting pay that you say?

Im from SIM UOL too, currently in ministry. Just entered. Degree holder pay.

What ministry.....if i may ask?

Unregistered 14-03-2019 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 114823)
What ministry.....if i may ask?

Msf . Social worker

Unregistered 14-03-2019 02:41 PM

Age 26, Mid 2008 fresh grad - starting pay $3300
Current age 37, pay $7200.
Teacher :)

Ambition 14-03-2019 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 114783)
In CS, at least for full-time post-graduate studies (ie. diploma, masters or PhD), pay increment is given provided the post-graduate study is directly relevant to the work.

I'm not picking on your answer I'm just using it as a springboard.

Friend A. Music teacher with SB. Music higher degree join ministry to do music, higher degree disregarded

Friend B. Engineer with SB. Engineering higher degree joins ministry to do engineering, higher degree disregarded.

Friend C. Business student with SB. FCH, no higher degree joins ministry doing something not so business... salary obviously considered FCH.

Friend D. PhD. FCH salary only but highly regarded by his boss and words carry a lot of weight. Being groomed.

It seems like only professional certificates such as ACCA, CFA, professional engineer, are valuable. The rest maybe open the doors for promotion if you are lucky.

Unregistered 14-03-2019 10:09 PM

What’s a normal merit increment? I got 6%

Unregistered 15-03-2019 10:34 AM

Does anyone know how much EDB pays?

Titles in EDB include leads, heads and deputy director and directors. Any clues?