Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 16-08-2012 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27584)
assuming your 1 yr of exp in private sector is relevant to the ministry, your civil service pay will be 3.6k + 1 year of increment(5% = 180) = 3780 approx @ 15mth annual package

3780 x 15(could be more if perform well) = 56700

actually i duno how true is tis calculation. i got pass degree with ns which i saw in earlier post the starting pay is $3,088. i got 4 yrs of irrelevant experience, which i assume they will half it. so 2 yrs increment.

the ministry i joined offer me $3.3k. so y my 2 yrs increment oni $212, which works out to around 3.4% per yr?

lmaohaha 17-08-2012 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27584)
assuming your 1 yr of exp in private sector is relevant to the ministry, your civil service pay will be 3.6k + 1 year of increment(5% = 180) = 3780 approx @ 15mth annual package

3780 x 15(could be more if perform well) = 56700

gd to know this...at least they wouldnt undercut me by basing it off my previous low salary:)

lmaohaha 18-08-2012 01:10 PM

like to ask if one rejects an offer (not agreeing then backing off type), will one be blacklisted by the company as a result? for instance, if one wants to apply for the same company 1 or 2 yrs later, will he/she be denied a chance for an interview because the rejection of offer has been logged into the company's database?

Unregistered 20-08-2012 09:17 PM

any know is there any salary revision for polytechnics this year?

Unregistered 22-08-2012 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27570)
in that case, do you mean your statboard annual package is better than that of ministry annual package?

No, its the other way.

Unregistered 23-08-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 5961)
the second time I joined the stat board, I was close to 30. Obviously I got a bad deal taking 4.2k/mth at that age. However, my pte sector experience did help and I was promoted up one grade every year. Yes, it was quite rare, I was the top performer every year outdoing the scholars. I eventually left because of the glass ceiling for non-scholars.

seriously ur claim of promoting once a year is really unbelievable, esp ur in a stats board and a non-scholar

Unregistered 23-08-2012 11:55 AM

are all MX officers paid the same in different ministries? As long as they have the same class of honours?

Calfless 23-08-2012 04:56 PM

Hi,

I recently wanted to apply for a job to one of the stat board for manager position in the supply chain & logistics.

I have 12+ working experiences (local & Overseas) and a distance learning degree & diploma (from Australia), however I flung my O' levels when i was young (that is why distance learning is like a second chance for me).

So my question I like to ask is, even i have 12+ experiences with commercial degree (from Australia), will they even consider me even if I flung my O' Levels?
And i have no intention of retaking my O' Levels.

Thanks for the advice.

Unregistered 23-08-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calfless (Post 27713)
Hi,

I recently wanted to apply for a job to one of the stat board for manager position in the supply chain & logistics.

I have 12+ working experiences (local & Overseas) and a distance learning degree & diploma (from Australia), however I flung my O' levels when i was young (that is why distance learning is like a second chance for me).

So my question I like to ask is, even i have 12+ experiences with commercial degree (from Australia), will they even consider me even if I flung my O' Levels?
And i have no intention of retaking my O' Levels.

Thanks for the advice.

Distance learning means those online or mail correspondence degree?

If yes, then government do not recognize. You will be considered as PSLE or N Level, something like Div 3 blue collar.

Calfless 23-08-2012 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27714)

If yes, then government do not recognize. You will be considered as PSLE or N Level, something like Div 3 blue collar.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

For Div3 Blue collar, what is their pay scales like?

Looking forward to your advice.

Unregistered 23-08-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calfless (Post 27715)
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

For Div3 Blue collar, what is their pay scales like?

Looking forward to your advice.

Operation Support Officer

Indicative Gross Monthly Starting Salary*
$924 – $1123

Personal Qualities

Team player
Hardworking, organised, responsible and reliable

Main Responsibilities

Performs office-related administrative duties such as dispatch, counter, registry, types and maintains file records
Performs support duties in schools such as operation and maintenance of basic office equipment and materials, assists in the preparation of apparatus, equipment and reagents for laboratory lessons, maintains general cleanliness of equipment and workplace

Entry Requirements

Primary school to Secondary school qualifications

freddy wong 24-08-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27707)
are all MX officers paid the same in different ministries? As long as they have the same class of honours?

UPzzzz

would like to know this too

lmaohaha 27-08-2012 08:21 AM

tink last nite's rally should be good news to those from unisim since they are now fully recognised as the fifth uni.meaning to say civil sector will perceive unisim grads as equal footing wif the big 3 alr...

Unregistered 27-08-2012 11:10 PM

good old organisations w/o title inflation. where manager has white hair and is not some fresh grad.

1. PSA
2. LTA
3. SIA
4. MOH/HPB

organisations which makes a mockery by inflating work titles,

1. NUS. where non-degree holders may even get asst manager or 'consultant' title but still paid as MSO.
2. MTI, NEA, IPOS where the first rung for degree holder is asst dir. everyone is a director.

care to add to list above?

Unregistered 28-08-2012 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27788)
good old organisations w/o title inflation. where manager has white hair and is not some fresh grad.

1. PSA
2. LTA
3. SIA
4. MOH/HPB

organisations which makes a mockery by inflating work titles,

1. NUS. where non-degree holders may even get asst manager or 'consultant' title but still paid as MSO.
2. MTI, NEA, IPOS where the first rung for degree holder is asst dir. everyone is a director.

care to add to list above?

I duno how you come up with this list, but PSA and SIA are definitely inflating work titles like other GLC. They share the same system as all GLCs where all M1 - M4 grades are called Managers / Senior Managers when the "real" managers are M5 & above.

Most fresh grad in SIA/PSA will get their manager title before 35 yrs old, but pay still stuck at executive level of 5k+

Unregistered 28-08-2012 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27792)
I duno how you come up with this list, but PSA and SIA are definitely inflating work titles like other GLC. They share the same system as all GLCs where all M1 - M4 grades are called Managers / Senior Managers when the "real" managers are M5 & above.

Most fresh grad in SIA/PSA will get their manager title before 35 yrs old, but pay still stuck at executive level of 5k+

as far as i know,

SIA and STengineering, M1 grade asst manager or asst principal engineer, the pay is 4.2-5.5k range

Unregistered 28-08-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27796)
as far as i know,

SIA and STengineering, M1 grade asst manager or asst principal engineer, the pay is 4.2-5.5k range

It's a well known secret in all GLCs that only >M4 is considered managerial staff during talent review. With the title inflation, most M5 - M6 are known as Directors or VP now though...

Unregistered 28-08-2012 05:34 PM

oh dear

did a bonus projection for this yr n it seems that my effective increment (based on total annual package) from last yr is PATHETIC (1-2 %)

civil servants/stat board peeps, i suggest u do the same...

here's how i did it:

since mid yr bonus (2011) was 0.5mth and mid yr bonus (2012) was 0.3 mth, a rough estimation of year-end AVC (2012) wld be 0.6 x 0.75 (ie AVC for 2011) = 0.45mth

add AWS of 1mth : 0.3 + 0.45 + 1 = 1.75mths

add estimated PB -- i suppose u can use ur PB (2011) value to simplify things

Unregistered 28-08-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27560)
MX11 colleague promoted to dy head after 15 years in a few home teams. apparently, no increment? o_O can someone shed some light?

think that's called a redesignation, which is different from promotion.

Unregistered 28-08-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27801)
think that's called a redesignation, which is different from promotion.

if the job grade is no change, mean still at MX11, mean no change in salary too.

redesignation is like changing of job scope, aka job rotation.

the ceiling for MX11 is $7909.

cslee 30-08-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27714)

not necessarily true. still possible to get appointed with Div I positions if got special skills that are not easily obtained and is required by the job scope.

Unregistered 31-08-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27797)
It's a well known secret in all GLCs that only >M4 is considered managerial staff during talent review. With the title inflation, most M5 - M6 are known as Directors or VP now though...

MX13 - fresh degree grad earning slightly over $2000 (poor or no honours) can be admin manager in MOE schools.
MX12 - most are either managers or at least assistant managers
MX11 - Senior managers
MX 10 - Asst or snr asst directors.

MSO - retiree uniformed personnel employed as ops managers in schools. or snr lifeguards as customer service or swimming complex managers.

every other person is a manager in civil service

Even bus drivers are called BUS Captains.

Unregistered 31-08-2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27849)
MX13 - fresh degree grad earning slightly over $2000 (poor or no honours) can be admin manager in MOE schools.
MX11 - Senior managers

MSO - retiree uniformed personnel employed as ops managers in schools. or snr lifeguards as customer service or swimming complex managers.

I remember during the 80s and 90s, to be called a Manager, you have to fulfil criterias like:

1) Accountability for P&L
2) Management of department budget
3) Authortiy to sign off significant expenses, represent co. in negotiation
4) Got a sizable team of professionals under you (those with only blue collar subordinates only qualify to call Supervisor)
5) Manage a large scale project or process
6) Authority to hire, fire, promote and groom your subordinates
7) Pay in 2012 terms min 10k monthly

Now base on my observations a typical civil service / stat board / GLC / some inflated MNC "manager":

1) No accountability for P&L or budget at all, most do not even know their dept cost centres
2) Besides signing off SOP admin documents, have totally no authority to decide on expenses
3) No subordinates or a few old bird low educated clerks "parked" under them for show
4) Performing junior executive administrative procedures
5) Have totally no say in how they run their people (if any)
6) 3k -5k monthly pay

Unregistered 31-08-2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27849)
MX11 - Senior managers

base on home affair MX scheme, I suppose the guideline for MX13 is around there from the website in 2012.

Pass Degree(which is the lowest pass of the degree)
$3,088 with NS/$2,720 non-NS

Unregistered 31-08-2012 10:45 PM

In the past, policemen wear shorts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27852)
I remember during the 80s and 90s, to be called a Manager, you have to fulfil criterias like:

1) Accountability for P&L
2) Management of department budget
3) Authortiy to sign off significant expenses, represent co. in negotiation
4) Got a sizable team of professionals under you (those with only blue collar subordinates only qualify to call Supervisor)
5) Manage a large scale project or process
6) Authority to hire, fire, promote and groom your subordinates
7) Pay in 2012 terms min 10k monthly

Now base on my observations a typical civil service / stat board / GLC / some inflated MNC "manager":

1) No accountability for P&L or budget at all, most do not even know their dept cost centres
2) Besides signing off SOP admin documents, have totally no authority to decide on expenses
3) No subordinates or a few old bird low educated clerks "parked" under them for show
4) Performing junior executive administrative procedures
5) Have totally no say in how they run their people (if any)
6) 3k -5k monthly pay

Unregistered 01-09-2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27860)
In the past, policemen wear shorts.

in the past, ministers make 50k a month. now they make a little bit more.

Unregistered 06-09-2012 03:24 PM

does anyone know the rank of E-4 in ST? I Was talking to one of my friends over coffee and we kinda were having a heated discussion pertaining to rank structure. Can anyone advised what "Rank" is E-4 with regards to qualifications and promotion prospects?

Unregistered 06-09-2012 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27991)
does anyone know the rank of E-4 in ST? I Was talking to one of my friends over coffee and we kinda were having a heated discussion pertaining to rank structure. Can anyone advised what "Rank" is E-4 with regards to qualifications and promotion prospects?

ST mean Singtel or ST engineering? Anyway both are GLC, government linked company, they follow the same rank structure.

E4 rank is basically for poly grad as "assistant engineer" or "engineering assistant', thus the pay should be 1.5k to 2.5k range.

E5 - for fresh degree grad, as engineer, 2.5k to 3.8k range, on average 3 year to hit E6

E6 - senior engineer, 3k to 4.5k range, on average 3 years to hit M1

M1 - assistant principal engineer, 4k to 5.5k range

M2 - assistant principal engineer, 4.5k to 7k range

M3- principle engineer, salary i dunno, more than 5k to 10k

M4/M5/M6 - senior principal engineer/senior manager/director of dept 6k to 12k ??

G1/G2/G3 - dy chief engineer/chief engineer/asst GM/ dy GM/VP...etc

should be like that!!!! is approx value!!!

Unregistered 06-09-2012 08:46 PM

This thread is making my saliva drip. I work 3 yrs in private sector and quit few months back. Now apply many jobs through careers.gov.sg. Sad to say no reply so far.

Can't take it in private sector, lots of FT which depress my pay severely. I'm a local NTU grad, 2nd upper with NS. gets 3k in private after working for 3 yrs, 3 annual increment. AWS is fixed and PB around 1.5 mths.

My pay after 3 yrs can't even match starting pay of a pass degree in public sector. It hurts when I see how people complain about their pay as a civil servant.

Keep checking my application status, only 2 is 'in progress', the rest 'submitted'. Is it possible for HR to call even when status is 'submitted'? I'm at a loss now.

Unregistered 06-09-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28002)
This thread is making my saliva drip. I work 3 yrs in private sector and quit few months back. Now apply many jobs through careers.gov.sg. Sad to say no reply so far.

Can't take it in private sector, lots of FT which depress my pay severely. I'm a local NTU grad, 2nd upper with NS. gets 3k in private after working for 3 yrs, 3 annual increment. AWS is fixed and PB around 1.5 mths.

My pay after 3 yrs can't even match starting pay of a pass degree in public sector. It hurts when I see how people complain about their pay as a civil servant.

Keep checking my application status, only 2 is 'in progress', the rest 'submitted'. Is it possible for HR to call even when status is 'submitted'? I'm at a loss now.

wtf after 3 years only 3k??? somemore 2nd upper?

male with NS 2nd upper already getting 3.5k/3.6k starting!!!in civil service
and after 3 years in civil service should be getting 4.3k/4.4k....already at least!!!

I also wanted to join!!

Unregistered 06-09-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28004)
wtf after 3 years only 3k??? somemore 2nd upper?

male with NS 2nd upper already getting 3.5k/3.6k starting!!!in civil service
and after 3 years in civil service should be getting 4.3k/4.4k....already at least!!!

I also wanted to join!!

I started off with 2.5k, that time 2008 recession, as a fresh grad I can't be picky. at 2.5k, somehow my FT colleague knows and tell me in the face she is unhappy as I'm getting more than her with 1 yr experience.

2.5k to 3k in 3 years, so when civil servants complain and compare here, I don't know what to say!

Unregistered 06-09-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28005)
I started off with 2.5k, that time 2008 recession, as a fresh grad I can't be picky. at 2.5k, somehow my FT colleague knows and tell me in the face she is unhappy as I'm getting more than her with 1 yr experience.

2.5k to 3k in 3 years, so when civil servants complain and compare here, I don't know what to say!

actually with your 2nd upper, it it engineering?

you can join GLC like STeng at 3k with NS with 2nd upper at that time 2008.

Unregistered 06-09-2012 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28006)
actually with your 2nd upper, it it engineering?

you can join GLC like STeng at 3k with NS with 2nd upper at that time 2008.

engineering but useless field in SGP. got job I just take first. Too bad I went for 2 stat board interviews last yr but can't get in.

Now die die must get a job. Last month and now I think apply >10 govt jobs, waiting for interview.

Unregistered 06-09-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28009)
engineering but useless field in SGP. got job I just take first. Too bad I went for 2 stat board interviews last yr but can't get in.

Now die die must get a job. Last month and now I think apply >10 govt jobs, waiting for interview.

i thought there are too many jobs chasing too few talents here in this island country?

Unregistered 06-09-2012 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28010)
i thought there are too many jobs chasing too few talents here in this island country?

If only you have relevant experience, especially marine, oil&gas. I've been applying for countless engineer role since april and totally no calls. My asking pay is only 3-3.2k. Almost all companies want employees with experience. My last job is in a lab, dead future so want to move to engineering role.

Gave up and now want to get into civil service, seems like their pay is more reasonable. I'm almost 30 and I don't think I want to accept lower than 3k in private sector and start from scratch.

Unregistered 07-09-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28010)

they dun appreciate talents. They think those that do well in JCs are talents because they made them scholars. Scholars talk only but no action. They look at NUS/NTU/SMU, and they tot they are the smart ones.

Unregistered 07-09-2012 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28023)
they dun appreciate talents. They think those that do well in JCs are talents because they made them scholars. Scholars talk only but no action. They look at NUS/NTU/SMU, and they tot they are the smart ones.

So are you implying that anyone who studied at a local university is neither smart nor talented?

Unregistered 10-09-2012 12:35 PM

ndprazo 1950

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28033)
So are you implying that anyone who studied at a local university is neither smart nor talented?

definitely not. But there are black sheep everywhere. Just that maybe these local U grads are lucky that their A levels/GPA scores make the cut for admission to local Us.

I hire both local U grads and DL grads and some of the DL grads do have better working attitudes than the local U grads. My personal opinion u dun have to agree.

cooldream 10-09-2012 10:41 PM

Hi all, I have 5 yrs of related private experience, non-NS and 1st class honours. Is it reasonable to start at MX12 level and pay 4.8k? Anyone can advise?

Unregistered 10-09-2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooldream (Post 28117)
Hi all, I have 5 yrs of related private experience, non-NS and 1st class honours. Is it reasonable to start at MX12 level and pay 4.8k? Anyone can advise?

the 4.8k is they offer you

or

is that the amount you put as expected salary??