Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 27-05-2012 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 25109)
33yo, 8.5k...

i am not surprise with that info..

MOE have a post for deputy director which need 8 yrs EXP. stating salary range of 120k to 170k...

base on the min 120k, assuming 16mth annual package, mean basic = 7.5k for 8 years exp...

i have a female friend 1st class in a ministry 7 years exp, getting low 6k now...

Unregistered 27-05-2012 11:59 PM

Quote:

33yo, 8.5k...

what scheme? Which ministry or stat board? With NS? 1st class honours? How many years of service?

jason78 28-05-2012 02:34 PM

Bad year for banking professionals despite record earnings

Many local banks freeze or reduce increment and bonuses despite some of them earning very strong/record revenue unscathed by the financial crisis.

A few of my peers got retrenched in foreign banks and people in Finance and accounting and backoffice are getting paid lesser and lesser. I'm sure a lot of my peers won't mind switching to other industries.

New property launches:
www.propertylaunch.org

Unregistered 28-05-2012 07:43 PM

So? doesnt mean anything.

Quote:

33yo, 8.5k...

Unregistered 29-05-2012 03:12 PM

guys, i got offered for a ministry position of MX 12.
starting pay is $3.2k
is this the norm? and i will be going thru a 1 yr probation as well. what are the chances of not clearing the 1 yr probation and get kick out?!

Unregistered 29-05-2012 05:36 PM

e

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 25178)
starting pay is $3.2k
is this the norm? and i will be going thru a 1 yr probation as well. what are the chances of not clearing the 1 yr probation and get kick out?!

I suppose you are a girl.

I just signed my letter of appt for a ministry and the starting pay is 3740 with first class honors

Mine is Mx13 with a 2 years contract.

Unregistered 29-05-2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 25182)

I just signed my letter of appt for a ministry and the starting pay is 3740 with first class honors

Male with NS, fresh grad, non-defence related ministry?

Anyone knows whether stat boards in general offer higher or lower starting pay for similar credentials? Excluding the defence-related ones like DSTA.

Thanks!

Unregistered 29-05-2012 09:13 PM

i think it should be the norm...3.2K is quite decent. What class of honours did u get and which uni were u from?

The chance of not clearing probation is very low. The one year contract is merely a formality and is absolutely not a cause for concern. Unless u are suddenly declared to be a bankrupt or get embroiled in some scandals or get implicated in corruption cases, u will get permanent establishment in a year's time, no problem at all.

Quote:

starting pay is $3.2k

Unregistered 29-05-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 25189)

Anyone knows whether stat boards in general offer higher or lower starting pay for similar credentials? Excluding the defence-related ones like DSTA.

Thanks!

fresh grad should start at mx 13?

Unregistered 29-05-2012 11:19 PM

Quote:

starting pay is $3.2k

please provide more info to clear you doubt:
-what class of honours
-any previous exp or fresh grad
-male or female

Thank you

Unregistered 29-05-2012 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 25189)

Thanks!

fresh grad always start at MX13 in ministry, why are you give MX12?

Unregistered 30-05-2012 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 25199)
fresh grad always start at MX13 in ministry, why are you give MX12?

Oh, I do not have any offer right now. Just wondering what I can expect if there is one. :)

Unregistered 30-05-2012 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 25200)
Oh, I do not have any offer right now. Just wondering what I can expect if there is one. :)

you seem to out of point never answer my question? why you fresh grad still getting MX12?

Unregistered 30-05-2012 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 25201)
you seem to out of point never answer my question? why you fresh grad still getting MX12?

I do not have any offer. I am not getting MX12 or MX13.

*rolls eyes*

Unregistered 30-05-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 25198)
please provide more info to clear you doubt:
-what class of honours
-any previous exp or fresh grad
-male or female

Thank you

-no honours only BAC. RMIT university
-2.5 yrs exp in another ministry as MSO
-ta bo

Unregistered 30-05-2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 25203)
I do not have any offer. I am not getting MX12 or MX13.

*rolls eyes*

lolx he confused la between the 2 different post

jason78 30-05-2012 11:01 AM

Banking background

I've applied for several civil service positions last night. I have more than 6 years of banking experience but i realize that I'm not getting anywhere in banking because several banks have been freezing pay since 2007 (some make huge profits but cited the downturn as excuses to freeze pay) and yet I have heard that it's quite difficult to get a job in banking even though one has the experience there are several candidates to choose from.

I wonder if it's easier for me to try out with civil service. I work for a local bank that paid me 0 bonus and increment this year despite the high inflation and record bank profit. My friend had 0 bonus for 3 years in foreign bank before deciding to join local bank and got very little comparied to what she expected.

http://propertylaunch.org

Unregistered 30-05-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason78 (Post 25213)
I've applied for several civil service positions last night. I have more than 6 years of banking experience but i realize that I'm not getting anywhere in banking because several banks have been freezing pay since 2007 (some make huge profits but cited the downturn as excuses to freeze pay) and yet I have heard that it's quite difficult to get a job in banking even though one has the experience there are several candidates to choose from.

I wonder if it's easier for me to try out with civil service. I work for a local bank that paid me 0 bonus and increment this year despite the high inflation and record bank profit. My friend had 0 bonus for 3 years in foreign bank before deciding to join local bank and got very little comparied to what she expected.

http://propertylaunch.org

So that's why you're moonlighting as a property agent? Sold any property yet?

jason78 30-05-2012 11:16 AM

Thinking of doing some sideline. In my 6 years in banking I had 2 years of pay freeze compared to my colleague who had 3 years of pay freeze. It's an overcrowded industry after massive retrenchment. Local banks are doing very well but they can hire people anytime they want.

Unregistered 30-05-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason78 (Post 25215)
Thinking of doing some sideline. In my 6 years in banking I had 2 years of pay freeze compared to my colleague who had 3 years of pay freeze. It's an overcrowded industry after massive retrenchment. Local banks are doing very well but they can hire people anytime they want.

If its overcrowded then pay shouldn't be as attractive as it is still.

If pay is still so good that all students still wanna study business banking and finance, then it is not considered overcrowded.

jason78 30-05-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 25217)
If its overcrowded then pay shouldn't be as attractive as it is still.

If pay is still so good that all students still wanna study business banking and finance, then it is not considered overcrowded.

I'm paid only 5.5k pm. My increment was $900, $400, freeze, $120, $200, freeze from 2007 till now.

You can plot the trend and extrapolate. BTW I have an MBA and a scholarship from an Aussie Uni. It's quite tough to accept the reality when I put in a lot of effort but got less and less just because I'm at the bottom of the food chain where those on top gets a huge cut and nothing trickles down to us at the bottom.

My colleague shares the disappointment and mis match between company's performance and bonus pay out.

Unregistered 30-05-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason78 (Post 25218)
I'm paid only 5.5k pm. My increment was $900, $400, freeze, $120, $200, freeze from 2007 till now.

You can plot the trend and extrapolate. BTW I have an MBA and a scholarship from an Aussie Uni. It's quite tough to accept the reality when I put in a lot of effort but got less and less just because I'm at the bottom of the food chain where those on top gets a huge cut and nothing trickles down to us at the bottom.

My colleague shares the disappointment and mis match between company's performance and bonus pay out.

Some SMU fresh grads get 4.7 already. Banks like nubile newbies.

Unregistered 30-05-2012 02:22 PM

Any 1 knows how much is the salary of a Police Officer Station Inspector?

wern 30-05-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 25223)
Any 1 knows how much is the salary of a Police Officer Station Inspector?

Should be similar around the same region as a army 2WO, $4400+-/mth.

Unregistered 30-05-2012 09:58 PM

Where did you do your MBA? distance learning?

Quote:

Unregistered 30-05-2012 11:20 PM

Quote:

Hi are u AVP or associate? Just to share last year I got 4.5 mths bonus. Local bank. Average performer, so I'm sure those in top 20% got even more.

Unregistered 31-05-2012 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 25182)

What's your degree?

wern 31-05-2012 05:48 AM

as long as 1st class in civil service, the major doesn't really matter what. but must be local uni, nus/ntu/smu standard to draw that level of pay lah.

Anw is it possible for a pass (merit) local degree holder to max out the ceiling and attain MX10 in 9-10years by age 35?

jason78 31-05-2012 10:44 AM

Proprety Launch Singapore
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 25237)
Hi are u AVP or associate? Just to share last year I got 4.5 mths bonus. Local bank. Average performer, so I'm sure those in top 20% got even more.

I'm an Associate. 4.5 months is very good for average performer. Which function are you in? I'm in Business Finance (back office).

My team is very hierarchical. I had no increment at all.

My Direct report
MD (Back Office Div Business Finance supporting div country head)
VP (Back Office Country Business Finance supporting biz country head)
AVP (Back Office Product Group Business Finance supporting grp prod head)
Assoc (Me - Products Business Finance supporting product heads)

Too many layers will mean nothing much trickle down to me. Bonus is centrally budgeted at super high level and they typically go to the 1 downs and for an average performer like me, I dont get much as I'm at the bottom of the food chain.

There's mis alignment in recognition and who i work for and support (primarly product/business heads and not my boss). The product heads that I support cannot determine my bonus as I do not report to them.

In my 1st job in another local bank my team structure is different and is very flat and I got the most increment. There's only 1 SVP and everyone reports to 1 boss regardless of rank and title. I get recognized by my boss if I work hard as everyone has equal opportunity. However, promotion is hard to come by as local banks keeps a tight control on promotion.

SVP (Back Office Group Finance)
VP AVP MGR AM (Me) Analyst (Back Office Group Finance)

I heard that in another local bank an average performer got 6 months. Their team structure is as follows.

SVP (Front office Private Banking sales)
AVP (Back Office Business Finance)

The Business Finance person got 6 months basically due to the flat structure and is able to tap into the bonus paid to the front office.

An average performer in the 3 scenarios can get different increment/bonuses. It would be ideal if the person you support determines your bonus/increment however it's not always the case.

My preference is to work in smaller teams or teams with flat hierarchy or direct reporting to the business manager that i support.

New property launches
www.propertylaunch.org

jason78 31-05-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 25232)
Where did you do your MBA? distance learning?

Yup through distance learning but they flew the lecturers from the University of Adelaide to conduct weekend classes and we got the same lecturers as those who studied on campus. Couldnt afford to attend the classes on campus although we have the option to do so... I worked in a full time sales job while attending classes on weekends. Finished my MBA in 1 year 9 months. I did my IT degree on campus at the University of Queensland. After graduating with an IT hons degree, I started working in the IT industry before I did my MBA and switched to banking. Jobs in the IT industry back then didnt offer much security and were mostly on contract basis.

www.propertylaunch.org

_

Unregistered 31-05-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wern (Post 25243)
as long as 1st class in civil service, the major doesn't really matter what. but must be local uni, nus/ntu/smu standard to draw that level of pay lah.

Anw is it possible for a pass (merit) local degree holder to max out the ceiling and attain MX10 in 9-10years by age 35?

yes it is possible. but u must be super garang and prepare to suxk director cocks all the way.
don't ever step on any1 tail.
do alot of high level projects.
volunteer urself in all big small puny events organized by your agency or collaboration agencies
expose urself to all sorts of meetings to wayang talk cock etc etc
also pray ur CEP can maintain throughout the year.

with all the above done and if u still able to perform your day to day task well. ur CEP should be quite high, and high chance placed into high po and super scale scheme.

all da best~! :)

datou 31-05-2012 02:26 PM

anyone can advise on the ministries and statboards that accept DL degrees. I know that MFA and MINDEF all these atas one NEVER accept ppl who did DL de (or correct me if i m wrong)..

Anyone can gif any advice? No keyboard warriors pls. Thanks.

Unregistered 31-05-2012 02:54 PM

If you are motivated to strive for your career, I think your chances of getting a well paid job is better in the private sector. In govt sector, academic achievements are overrated and you will be disadvantaged.

Unregistered 31-05-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by datou (Post 25265)
anyone can advise on the ministries and statboards that accept DL degrees. I know that MFA and MINDEF all these atas one NEVER accept ppl who did DL de (or correct me if i m wrong)..

Anyone can gif any advice? No keyboard warriors pls. Thanks.

my friend unisim degree in EMA.
another 1 in HPB
another 1 in CPF
some in MOM also

Unregistered 31-05-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 25267)
If you are motivated to strive for your career, I think your chances of getting a well paid job is better in the private sector. In govt sector, academic achievements are overrated and you will be disadvantaged.

yeah man! scholar make mistake still zoom zoom faster than your hard work la! haha

Unregistered 31-05-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wern (Post 25243)

don't think it matters what your class of honor is. anyway, i don't think so. at least not for home teams under MHA. my colleagues mid 30s (both genders) are only MX11 and some joined the civil service upon grad. even to reach MX11 (for most ppl), takes several years.

Unregistered 01-06-2012 12:10 AM

usioneu gold-fag

It took 5 years for me to go from MX13 to MX11, and I am considered high flyer among the ordinary (non-scholar) grade. So don't expect too much lah

datou 01-06-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 25267)

thanks to everyone who replied..

agreed with what u wrote too, but this is my first job and i've got zero experience, so was thinking of going into public then jumping ship to private some years later. I've looked at private sector jobs, many need experience, especially for larger organisations. Those that require no experience are mostly sales jobs which i have not much interest in.

Thank you.

Unregistered 01-06-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by datou (Post 25299)

agreed with what u wrote too, but this is my first job and i've got zero experience, so was thinking of going into public then jumping ship to private some years later. I've looked at private sector jobs, many need experience, especially for larger organisations. Those that require no experience are mostly sales jobs which i have not much interest in.

Thank you.

This is common mistake made by a lot of fresh grad, think they can get best of both world by getting high start pay first then jump to pte when they feel like it.

All I can say is easier said then done, public servants are not looked on well by companies in general, most people find the transition difficult and most end up accepting same pay but working longer hrs just to transit out.

Unregistered 01-06-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by datou (Post 25299)

Thank you.

But more than 90% fresh grad found jobs within a few months. So there are many jobs available for fresh grad in private sector. Now with online application, it is much easier to apply for jobs. Compared to last time, we need to send in job applications via slow mails. And after printing and sending more than 20 applications, only got shortlisted for a few interviews. Be positive!!