Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 03-07-2014 11:44 AM

Troll alert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 52932)
Im so impressed by how all of you are earning over 100k per annum!? im just a diploma graduate and going for a degree in SIT, whats your thoughts and advices on it as some of you here are really experienced it seems and doing well

Help me out here,im scared and kinda in need of advices.What would you tell the kid whos about to get into the working industry? btw im 22 since i just did my NS

Hey all, watch out for this troll. He posted the same nonsense in numerous threads!
Not a sincere post for sure. Doesnt have decency/courtesy to thanks responders with good intentions.

Unregistered 04-07-2014 10:49 AM

What!?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 52988)
Hey all, watch out for this troll. He posted the same nonsense in numerous threads!
Not a sincere post for sure. Doesnt have decency/courtesy to thanks responders with good intentions.

how do you get trolling from that? lol learn some positivity mate

Unregistered 06-07-2014 03:46 AM

So depressing to look at the posts here. Currently in stat board. 4 yrs exp and still earning below 4k. My last promotion the promotion increment was below $100! Yearly increment below $200. Convinced myself that it is the norm, until I see all the posts here.. Consistently getting good performance too! Arghz!

Unregistered 06-07-2014 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 53038)
So depressing to look at the posts here. Currently in stat board. 4 yrs exp and still earning below 4k. My last promotion the promotion increment was below $100! Yearly increment below $200. Convinced myself that it is the norm, until I see all the posts here.. Consistently getting good performance too! Arghz!

wat class of honour you got?
with NS or non-NS?

are you executive or engineer ? engineer will get abt $200 more in start pay!!

wat is your start pay?

Unregistered 08-07-2014 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19959)
Take note that:

The MX9 pool is "actually quite a small group", at just 1.2 per cent of 76,000 civil servants, or about 1 in 83.

Where got so few people in the civil service who made it to the highest MX level possible within the visible scheme as publicised by the public service division, and showing their maximum possible per month basic salary of $16,540, does it mean that ther is no more progression that that level?

Lets do some basic mathematical calculation here, basic pay(12 months)+ annual variable component(AVC)+AWS of 1 month+ contractual bonuses(unspecified number of months)
=16 months every single year without fail.

Therefore, at the very exclusive level, whereby a non scholar, because a scholar will be dropshipped to a ministry or statutory board as a department head, permanent secretary or deputy policy maker or some other big shots, according to the natural progression of the MX scheme,

a top NUS graduate say first class honours with excellent track record in his public service career, is able to earn $16,540 X 16-17 months per year=$264,640 to $281,180 GROSS salary, havent deduct taxes or CPF contribution yet.

Am I getting somewhere in my understanding about how our 1 out of 83 big guns ministry and stat board big wigs are getting annually? Thats about only 915 people in the whole country getting that type of salary. Are they on par with the PRIVATE SECTOR in this case?

I llok forward to your replies. I stand corrected if I made any mistakes in analysing the salaries(before tax) of top level civil servants, since the salary revisions in 2010 onwards.

Unregistered 09-07-2014 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 53132)
Where got so few people in the civil service who made it to the highest MX level possible within the visible scheme as publicised by the public service division, and showing their maximum possible per month basic salary of $16,540, does it mean that ther is no more progression that that level?

Lets do some basic mathematical calculation here, basic pay(12 months)+ annual variable component(AVC)+AWS of 1 month+ contractual bonuses(unspecified number of months)
=16 months every single year without fail.

Therefore, at the very exclusive level, whereby a non scholar, because a scholar will be dropshipped to a ministry or statutory board as a department head, permanent secretary or deputy policy maker or some other big shots, according to the natural progression of the MX scheme,

a top NUS graduate say first class honours with excellent track record in his public service career, is able to earn $16,540 X 16-17 months per year=$264,640 to $281,180 GROSS salary, havent deduct taxes or CPF contribution yet.

Am I getting somewhere in my understanding about how our 1 out of 83 big guns ministry and stat board big wigs are getting annually? Thats about only 915 people in the whole country getting that type of salary. Are they on par with the PRIVATE SECTOR in this case?

I llok forward to your replies. I stand corrected if I made any mistakes in analysing the salaries(before tax) of top level civil servants, since the salary revisions in 2010 onwards.

Seems like u are cherry picking. Having worked in civil service for nearly 20 years, I have seen my fair share of things. There are only 3 'real' grades in civil service - 11 (working), 10 (management), 9 (Senior Management). The truth is that in civil service, very few people reach 9, and if you do get 9 you are likely to be in the enabling (HR/FIN/IT) functions because the more important positions would have been filled by AOs. And you do not get 16K immediately when you hit 9. You start from early 10K, assuming you don't make a single mistake in your first 20-30 year of your career. In addition, you will need to cross the bar to get further. In fact, your pay starts stagnating when your pay edge closer to the bars. Sometimes the increments will be in 100- 200 or in tens. But at the same time, you will also realise that having this much money (round 10K) is enough for decent living. Taking a pay view is really short term, look for intrinsic motivation (e.g., service to the people, returning of goodwill, etc). It keeps you going in the long run. If you are in the run for money, you will be grossly disappointed.

Unregistered 09-07-2014 05:02 PM

Rank of Senior Associate

Can I ask if information officers from MCI gets promoted faster?

I have a friend (non-scholar, second upper degree) who was promoted from Senior Associate to AD position in 3 years.

What exactly is the rank of a Senior Associate?

Thanks in advance.

Unregistered 14-07-2014 06:18 PM

Hi all, I have just been offered a position in a ministry/stat board. I need your opinion regarding my starting monthly salary:

1) My backgorund
Degree 1st class honors in science + PhD in engineering (part-time)
3 yrs working experience while doing my PhD - Current salary $ 3200

2) Was offered 4.2k/month. Am I underpaid?

3) Is Job offer package negotiable for cilvil service/stat board?

Thank you very much.

Unregistered 14-07-2014 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 53379)
Hi all, I have just been offered a position in a ministry/stat board. I need your opinion regarding my starting monthly salary:

1) My backgorund
Degree 1st class honors in science + PhD in engineering (part-time)
3 yrs working experience while doing my PhD - Current salary $ 3200

2) Was offered 4.2k/month. Am I underpaid?

3) Is Job offer package negotiable for cilvil service/stat board?

Thank you very much.

1. Which university did you attain your degree and PhD? These things matter. If local, I think you should get paid a bit more? I know some first class fresh grads taking in 3.6-3.8. So 4.2 seems to be quite a small increment for a Phd holder.

2. Depends, were you put on a managerial track? Most of the first-class grads I knew got AO positions. Although their pay is not as high as private sectors, being in AO ensures a fast-track. So although you may be paid low now, if you are on that fast-track, it wont matter since your pay should rise quickly.

Unregistered 14-07-2014 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 53168)
Can I ask if information officers from MCI gets promoted faster?

I have a friend (non-scholar, second upper degree) who was promoted from Senior Associate to AD position in 3 years.

What exactly is the rank of a Senior Associate?

Thanks in advance.

IO scheme is an unusual scheme that is somewhere inbetween the MX scheme and scholar-type/AO schemes. Their pay is a tier higher than the normal MX scheme.

Thats all i know. I don't have the numbers.