Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 28-04-2016 09:25 PM

Question on MAS

Hi, saw a posting on MAS looking for an assistant director. Have some questions and would like to see if anyone can shed light on it. I'm a local law grad (second upper), with a masters degree (first class) and will be getting called to the bar this year. Thinking of applying for the role. I won't consider myself to have any working experience although I did my legal pupillage (6 months) in the same finance area as this AD role entails.

1. Is this an entry level role? Or is it meant for people with a few years working experience?
2. Assuming my credentials, what is the approx pay I should be looking at?
3. How's the career progression like?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Unregistered 28-04-2016 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 84633)
Hi, saw a posting on MAS looking for an assistant director. Have some questions and would like to see if anyone can shed light on it. I'm a local law grad (second upper), with a masters degree (first class) and will be getting called to the bar this year. Thinking of applying for the role. I won't consider myself to have any working experience although I did my legal pupillage (6 months) in the same finance area as this AD role entails.

1. Is this an entry level role? Or is it meant for people with a few years working experience?
2. Assuming my credentials, what is the approx pay I should be looking at?
3. How's the career progression like?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

AD is not for fresh grads.

If you are not doing legal roles, starting pay is probably 4.2-4.5k at best for either analyst/associate or manager role depending on how they inflate the titles.

You are better off doing the rounds and spend 4-5 years in a reputable legal firm to up your marketability. Jumping straight to non legal roles w/o experience will just end up wasting all the time and effort used for your law studies and revert you back to no different from any typical business degree student with good honors.

Unregistered 28-04-2016 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 84636)
AD is not for fresh grads.

If you are not doing legal roles, starting pay is probably 4.2-4.5k at best for either analyst/associate or manager role depending on how they inflate the titles.

You are better off doing the rounds and spend 4-5 years in a reputable legal firm to up your marketability. Jumping straight to non legal roles w/o experience will just end up wasting all the time and effort used for your law studies and revert you back to no different from any typical business degree student with good honors.

Thanks for the reply.

Well, I scanned through some LinkedIn profiles of ADs at MAS and it seemed like some of them started as an AD as a fresh grad (based on a quick comparison of their educational and work timelines). Leaving aside the question on how accurate/reliable my quick scan on LinkedIn might be, was just wondering whether it could be due to the degree or grades obtained. Saw that a few of these ADs graduated with an overseas law degree or was a scholar back in university.

Unregistered 28-04-2016 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 84642)
Thanks for the reply.

Well, I scanned through some LinkedIn profiles of ADs at MAS and it seemed like some of them started as an AD as a fresh grad (based on a quick comparison of their educational and work timelines). Leaving aside the question on how accurate/reliable my quick scan on LinkedIn might be, was just wondering whether it could be due to the degree or grades obtained. Saw that a few of these ADs graduated with an overseas law degree or was a scholar back in university.

Ha ha, what a joker. Are you talking about some profiles like this 2?

s://sg.linkedin.com/in/kelly-teo-790ba03
s://sg.linkedin.com/in/paul-ho-08b4b818

In case you read too many lawyer papers and eyesight blur, Kelly has worked for 11 years and Paul has worked for 8. They are definitely not fresh grads. There are NO fresh grad ADs in MAS. Try MTI if you want to be a fresh grad AD.

Unregistered 28-04-2016 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 84642)
Thanks for the reply.

Fresh grad are given the title of AD in some ministries/statboards. This is especially so in places where officers have frequent interaction with middle-senior management in the private sector or foreign delegates.

Unregistered 28-04-2016 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 84646)

In case you read too many lawyer papers and eyesight blur, Kelly has worked for 11 years and Paul has worked for 8. They are definitely not fresh grads. There are NO fresh grad ADs in MAS. Try MTI if you want to be a fresh grad AD.

Dude, pulling out two LinkedIn profiles amongst the many others available to prove your point just doesn't cut in. If you would notice I said some, and not all. You should probably spend more time searching before just randomly linking the first two Google search results you found. I could post the LinkedIn profiles here but I don't think it's nice to do that.

Unregistered 28-04-2016 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 84648)
Dude, pulling out two LinkedIn profiles amongst the many others available to prove your point just doesn't cut in. If you would notice I said some, and not all. You should probably spend more time searching before just randomly linking the first two Google search results you found. I could post the LinkedIn profiles here but I don't think it's nice to do that.

I work in MAS, and I can confirm that the AD title is only for those with at least a few years of work experience. Fresh grads start off as Associates.

If you're interested in the job posting, no harm trying. It's possible they would consider fresh grads for an AD role, since associates and ADs generally do the same type of work. But your title would be Associate, not AD.

Unregistered 01-05-2016 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 84651)
I work in MAS, and I can confirm that the AD title is only for those with at least a few years of work experience. Fresh grads start off as Associates.

If you're interested in the job posting, no harm trying. It's possible they would consider fresh grads for an AD role, since associates and ADs generally do the same type of work. But your title would be Associate, not AD.

Funny guy. If a fresh grad can become AD then I better complain to my boss on Tuesday. Worked 3 years already and still an associate and some fresh grad expects to saunter in and become my manager?

Unregistered 02-05-2016 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 84804)
Funny guy. If a fresh grad can become AD then I better complain to my boss on Tuesday. Worked 3 years already and still an associate and some fresh grad expects to saunter in and become my manager?

bro.. don't be jealous. accept and embrace that you are less talented than that fresh grad who becomes an AD. This fresh grad can be a FCH with esteemed scholarship, done community work and worked both at an MNC and a ministry as an intern during his uni.

Unregistered 02-05-2016 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 84646)

Yea, just to add - Kelly doesn't look right to me. She says on her profile that she was an AD since leaving school 11 years ago. If that's really accurate, she must have really screwed it up badly to be stuck without a promotion for so long. Most likely she simply updated her job title to last held and skipped the associate part.

Not sure how Paul Ho is relevant to. The guy spend 4.5 years as an analyst and senior executive before getting the AD job.

Unregistered 04-05-2016 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 84827)
bro.. don't be jealous. accept and embrace that you are less talented than that fresh grad who becomes an AD. This fresh grad can be a FCH with esteemed scholarship, done community work and worked both at an MNC and a ministry as an intern during his uni.

Are you dumb or illiterate? There is no fresh grad AD in the whole of MAS, like what other posters have already mentioned. Anyone who tells you otherwise, feel free to ask him to message me through office communicator to discuss. I will check it out with the head of HR as we usually meet on Thursdays for a coffee break.

Unregistered 04-05-2016 10:08 PM

Is SMU high merit considered a pass degree or Honour degree in civil service??

Unregistered 04-05-2016 11:26 PM

How is SMU Gpa system remunerated in civil service

Unregistered 05-05-2016 04:19 PM

Healthcare IT GLC

Hi I am a fresh grad from NUS, Computer Science, NS and Second Upper Honors.

I received an offer from a GLC doing healthcare IT projects for government. Annual Package is roughly S$ 68000 including all bonus and AWS and other benefits. That's considered quite decent for fresh grad.

However I also received Citi's offer a technology analyst (Back Office in Changi Business Park)for their training program. Their annual package is S$59000 with all things included. It's still quite good package but the place is full of FTs and Indians.

Which one do I choose?
In terms of starting pay, GLC pays 9000 more than Citibank. But what about in 5 years time? I heard GLC and Civil Service very hard to prompt one grade and based on what I saw from previous 500 pages, yearly increment is S$200 for average performers.

Plus, say I choose GLC eventually. Then if I want to jump ship in the future, where can I jump to? Citibank technology analyst can jump around DBS, UOB, OCBC even to J.P.Morgan if lucky. But where can GLC Healthcare IT people go?

Please kindly give me some thoughtful advice. Thank you.

Unregistered 05-05-2016 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 85015)

I received an offer from a GLC doing healthcare IT projects for government. Annual Package is roughly S$ 68000 including all bonus and AWS and other benefits. That's considered quite decent for fresh grad.

However I also received Citi's offer a technology analyst (Back Office in Changi Business Park)for their training program. Their annual package is S$59000 with all things included. It's still quite good package but the place is full of FTs and Indians.

Which one do I choose?
In terms of starting pay, GLC pays 9000 more than Citibank. But what about in 5 years time? I heard GLC and Civil Service very hard to prompt one grade and based on what I saw from previous 500 pages, yearly increment is S$200 for average performers.

Plus, say I choose GLC eventually. Then if I want to jump ship in the future, where can I jump to? Citibank technology analyst can jump around DBS, UOB, OCBC even to J.P.Morgan if lucky. But where can GLC Healthcare IT people go?

ihis? that much? whats your monthly salary?

citibank is really bad, and you will have a miserable time with colleagues. Go work in glc for 3-5 years then jumpship, pay will be much higher.

Unregistered 05-05-2016 06:09 PM

Quote:

Which one do I choose?

This is a no-brainer. Take Citi. Your exit opps are worlds apart compared to taking up the GLC offer. As much as Citi's reputation has taken a hit in the aftermath of the global financial crisis, they are still an eminent brand to have on your CV.

Unregistered 05-05-2016 06:23 PM

Quote:

Which one do I choose?

hi, i worked in a glc as well, although my annual package isn't as high as yours....I jumped to jpmorgan after a few years and am working in credit suisse now. I would advise to steer clear from banks, especially citi, uob, ocbc, hsbc, the prospects and work environment isn't good. If you are interested in working with wealth management, i do recommend ubs, sachs, merrill lynch, credit suisse, jpmorgan etc. They don't hire fresh graduates, but a couple years in glc would serve u well.

Unregistered 05-05-2016 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 85041)
ihis? that much? whats your monthly salary?

citibank is really bad, and you will have a miserable time with colleagues. Go work in glc for 3-5 years then jumpship, pay will be much higher.

Yup, 4k+ for fresh grad.

But may I know where can people from IHiS go in the future?
I heard bad words about Citi and IHiS all the time. Mind sharing your thoughts about where to jumpship from IHiS? THANKS.

Unregistered 05-05-2016 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 85051)
hi, i worked in a glc as well, although my annual package isn't as high as yours....I jumped to jpmorgan after a few years and am working in credit suisse now. I would advise to steer clear from banks, especially citi, uob, ocbc, hsbc, the prospects and work environment isn't good. If you are interested in working with wealth management, i do recommend ubs, sachs, merrill lynch, credit suisse, jpmorgan etc. They don't hire fresh graduates, but a couple years in glc would serve u well.

Thank you for the info.

Actually I am thinking about taking the GLC one. But the problem is where to jumpship in the future. I will be a Healthcare IT professional and I don't see a lot of companies in SG.
Citi wise, as a bank developer, you can choose to go to any bank and climb up the ladder as associate, senior associate, vp etc.

Mind sharing how did you manage to get back into banks? Are the job scope similar? What about the pay difference. Thx

Unregistered 05-05-2016 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 85082)
Yup, 4k+ for fresh grad.

But may I know where can people from IHiS go in the future?
I heard bad words about Citi and IHiS all the time. Mind sharing your thoughts about where to jumpship from IHiS? THANKS.

IHiS paying 4k+? This is the first time i heard of it. In the other thread, people bashing it like nobody business for its low pay, poor management, etc.

Unregistered 05-05-2016 10:10 PM

Which GLC pays $68k all in with bonuses? Sure or not?

Btw, your Citi package is all in with bonuses?

How come you so sure you will get all your bonus ah?

Unregistered 06-05-2016 12:25 AM

Feel I made the right choice.

People might have some prejudice for GLCs...They are probably getting better and better.
HR told me avg performer can get this amount of bonus.I consider myself an avg person, right?

Unregistered 06-05-2016 05:44 PM

Anyone know what is the salary scale for DXO?

DXO 9 - $XXXX to $XXXX
DXO 10 -
DXO 11 -
DXO 12 -
DXO 13 -
DXO 14 -
DXO 15 -

Unregistered 07-05-2016 01:53 AM

CNB Senior Officer

Hi guys, im currently applying for CNB's senior officer position and wondering what is the usual range of salary i can hit if im not a scholar. Isit possible to hit the rank of SUP by the time i retire if i start at the rank of ASP?

I have a second upper hons deg from local uni.

Unregistered 07-05-2016 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 85137)
Hi guys, im currently applying for CNB's senior officer position and wondering what is the usual range of salary i can hit if im not a scholar. Isit possible to hit the rank of SUP by the time i retire if i start at the rank of ASP?

If you are not a scholar, theoretically at best you will get even if consistent strong performance is AC rank which works out to maybe 600-700k all-in. You will never hit the DC/CP level.

In reality most non-scholars will hit a ceiling at SUP level which works out to 350-400k total package.

Unregistered 08-05-2016 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 85142)
If you are not a scholar, theoretically at best you will get even if consistent strong performance is AC rank which works out to maybe 600-700k all-in. You will never hit the DC/CP level.

In reality most non-scholars will hit a ceiling at SUP level which works out to 350-400k total package.

Basically, if non-scholar, but 2nd upper from local uni, average performance. By retirement can earn 10K pm.

Pa package 160K.

DominicLoh 09-05-2016 12:18 PM

Hi can anyone know about LTA Max Scheme?

How does it compare to MX Scheme?

Thanks!

Unregistered 18-05-2016 12:31 AM

Hi!

If I am a non scholar how likely is it for me to get into the econs service? Where will I likely be in 20 years

Unregistered 18-05-2016 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 85673)
Hi!

If I am a non scholar how likely is it for me to get into the econs service? Where will I likely be in 20 years

They are definitely hiring non scholars. The minimum requirement is 2nd upper. How likely it is depends on the ability of the individual.

Assuming u managed to stay in the service for more than 10 years ( they do ask ppl to leave the svcs if his/her performance is poor), u r likely to be a lead or principal economists earning double of most of ur peers in the mx scheme.

Unregistered 18-05-2016 01:30 PM

anyone working in MOE/NEA?

Unregistered 21-05-2016 10:36 PM

Hi, is it fresh graduates joining civil service start off as MX13 grade? I recently join a stat board without any experience as an engineer, ER12A. The pay range is 2.8k to 5.8k. Is it most fresh graduate engineers start off at this grade?

Unregistered 22-05-2016 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 85901)
Hi, is it fresh graduates joining civil service start off as MX13 grade? I recently join a stat board without any experience as an engineer, ER12A. The pay range is 2.8k to 5.8k. Is it most fresh graduate engineers start off at this grade?

yes all fresh graduates joining CS start off as MX13.

Unregistered 22-05-2016 07:50 AM

Heard there will be salary increase for engineers in MINDEF, MHA, NEA, IDA...etc. I wonder how much it will be.

Unregistered 22-05-2016 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 85137)

It is unlikely that you will retire as Supt. More likely an AC if you are a consistent performer. It's true that there is a ceiling which you will not be able to pass. You will reach your Supt rank at around age 40 and this translate to about 10k monthly, not including your bonuses.

For info, I am a regular senior officer in MHA uniformed group

Unregistered 22-05-2016 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 85926)
It is unlikely that you will retire as Supt. More likely an AC if you are a consistent performer. It's true that there is a ceiling which you will not be able to pass. You will reach your Supt rank at around age 40 and this translate to about 10k monthly, not including your bonuses.

For info, I am a regular senior officer in MHA uniformed group

Hi there. Does the same applies if i start as a Inspector in ica? Or one grade lower since i dun start as a ASP? Assuming i am a average performer.

Unregistered 23-05-2016 08:23 AM

Will they consider local uni 2nd lower honours. Haven't got any calls from them. :(
If degree holder applying diploma positions, will it increase my chances?

Unregistered 23-05-2016 01:22 PM

My advice to all civil serpents wannabes, don't be a creature of circumstances, be a creator of circumstances. Hope it helps.

Unregistered 23-05-2016 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 85912)
yes all fresh graduates joining CS start off as MX13.

Some fresh poly dip graduate start off as MX14. Is it pay range around $1800-2000?

Unregistered 23-05-2016 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 86024)
Some fresh poly dip graduate start off as MX14. Is it pay range around $1800-2000?

MX14 starts at $2075

Unregistered 23-05-2016 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 85943)
Hi there. Does the same applies if i start as a Inspector in ica? Or one grade lower since i dun start as a ASP? Assuming i am a average performer.

All things being equal, I would say that Inspector is slower given that you are at least 2 more years to behind your ASP peers. A good place at a good time may increase your speed of progression so luck really plays a part too. But as for your career ending rank, I may not be in the best position to advise as ICA Haa another scheme (not uniformed).