Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Really that bad for engineers? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/866-really-bad-engineers.html)

Unregistered 30-11-2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 31088)
okay, i have been computing for ..~8 years, now i am a staff engineer, earning 6.7k /month.

btw my degree is in mechanical. but tht time when i just graduated i cannot find job for 6 months (from NTU, tht is SARS period).. so get my first job as software developer at only 1.5k ( appreciate tht the boss did not mind my background)

you asked switching to computing is it a right choice? when i look at my peers who are in mechanical, i think i made the right choie (no choice actually)

i am in my early 30s, if you dun compare to doctors, lawyer.. i think engineers is a decent job.

i believe IT pays better than engineering. i know people in IT (project manager, sales, service delivery) getting over $200K per year after about 13 years of working.

Unregistered 30-11-2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poor and stupid (Post 31090)
That is higher than normal mech grads not in o&g, dun mind me asking, what kind of computing are you involved in(application, system, web...)? did you go for any courses or get any certifications along the way?

I am doing firmware, aka embedded software.. previously in consumer electornic product , just join 1 providing industrial solution..

yah ofcourse cannot compare to oil and gas, but oil &gas also need quite a number of firmware people, Haliburton is hiring firmware enginner in their drilling automation..but they need ppl with DSP (digital signal processing) experience.

poor and stupid 30-11-2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 31096)
I am doing firmware, aka embedded software.. previously in consumer electornic product , just join 1 providing industrial solution..

yah ofcourse cannot compare to oil and gas, but oil &gas also need quite a number of firmware people, Haliburton is hiring firmware enginner in their drilling automation..but they need ppl with DSP (digital signal processing) experience.

ok cool, didnt know firmware can give out so high pay. How come you jump from consumer to industrial? Industrial electronics pay higher? what skills more valuable? mcu? fpga? dsp? UNIX? x86? SoC?

Unregistered 01-12-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poor and stupid (Post 31100)
ok cool, didnt know firmware can give out so high pay. How come you jump from consumer to industrial? Industrial electronics pay higher? what skills more valuable? mcu? fpga? dsp? UNIX? x86? SoC?

hey d******* why ask so many questions huh? try to act smart is it? so what if you know how to use vi editor and ls -la and grep * | ? from your use of abbreviation i already know u don't know much cos fpga soc skillset differ from OS skillset, dum dum. U know why u got lousy pay? cos u spend too much time here! go try SMRT, they lack bus driver now.

Unregistered 01-12-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6215)
to earning high salaries. And those who are , go to banking n finance.

The turth is a mediocre engineer can still earn better in finance. Just bcus the salaries are slightly higher in finance sector, does not mean that people are brainier. But to succeed n earn well in engineering, u need to be smart which most local people are not.

then you go back to your own crap debt ridden eurozone bailout country la, stupiak! hint: you can't argue about competencies when you can't write proper English. I'm local, a MENSA member and my IQ score is in the top 10%. I'm pretty sure you're not as smart as me. dumbass!

Unregistered 02-12-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 31117)
hey d******* why ask so many questions huh? try to act smart is it? so what if you know how to use vi editor and ls -la and grep * | ? from your use of abbreviation i already know u don't know much cos fpga soc skillset differ from OS skillset, dum dum. U know why u got lousy pay? cos u spend too much time here! go try SMRT, they lack bus driver now.

LoL what a idiot, i bet you dun even know two sh*t about electronic/computer engineering, why dun you go try SMRT, they need cleaners to improve the living conditions for the PRC dormitories!

Unregistered 02-12-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 31095)
i believe IT pays better than engineering. i know people in IT (project manager, sales, service delivery) getting over $200K per year after about 13 years of working.

Are you referring to HDS / Oracle IT manager, Cecilia Sue? Got to learn how to suck literally.

Unregistered 02-12-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 31129)
Are you referring to HDS / Oracle IT manager, Cecilia Sue? Got to learn how to suck literally.

can lookup glassdoor and recruitment firm salary report, it's around that range for upper management levels in most foreign banks and top technology companies

Unregistered 03-12-2012 09:24 AM

Why do I have this feeling the whole thread has become poor and stupid talking to himself?

poor and stupid 03-12-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 31140)
Why do I have this feeling the whole thread has become poor and stupid talking to himself?

Because most of the rest are unregistered "guest" spewing rubbish anonymously