Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Really that bad for engineers? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/866-really-bad-engineers.html)

Unregistered 17-08-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27610)
EPCI is definately a good choice for engineer but with the money you get, be ready to take the same amount of hardwork compare to other industry. The money you get always proportional to the work. (at least before you become a boss)

Any, I am not from Singapore. I am wondering a salary of 7k monthly for 4yrs experience, is it consider good in Singapore? There is an O&G company approached me and trying to pull me into Singapore. Need some advice from you all.

you tell me, if fresh degree grad getting 3k starting salary with annual increment 3-5% and 1 promotion addition 6% increment, can't event hit 3.7k after 4 years!!!!! not even say 7k

Unregistered 18-08-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27610)
EPCI is definately a good choice for engineer but with the money you get, be ready to take the same amount of hardwork compare to other industry. The money you get always proportional to the work. (at least before you become a boss)

Any, I am not from Singapore. I am wondering a salary of 7k monthly for 4yrs experience, is it consider good in Singapore? There is an O&G company approached me and trying to pull me into Singapore. Need some advice from you all.

I think is decent for this speciality. I suppose the job is subsea engineering say installation or projects with EPCI. I suppose these EPCI don't offer high variable bonus. Using a 14 month annual package, 7000 will give you close to 100k. U should request for housing allowance and ask how much is the offshore allowance if there is a need to go out to the field.

Unregistered 18-08-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27611)
you tell me, if fresh degree grad getting 3k starting salary with annual increment 3-5% and 1 promotion addition 6% increment, can't event hit 3.7k after 4 years!!!!! not even say 7k

Stop whining and get a life. Engineering is very wide. Your pay package depends on the industry that you are in. If you think your pay sucks, go and change job to a better paying industry.

Unregistered 18-08-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27586)
wow , that's is good!!!

your basic between 5.5-6.5k ?

Yes, more than 6k

Unregistered 18-08-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27615)
Stop whining and get a life. Engineering is very wide. Your pay package depends on the industry that you are in. If you think your pay sucks, go and change job to a better paying industry.

Yea and if your parents not rich just change to better parents.
if your country not rich just change to better country.
if only it were that easy...

Unregistered 18-08-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27611)

mm... my initial increment is much higher. During my first few years as engineer, increment was 8-10% average or 20% during promotion.

BTW, how much can an engineering manager (entry level) earn on average?

I worked all my first 12 years in the technical line. now switching to manager because brain getting stupid... just ask other people to do...

Unregistered 19-08-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27631)
mm... my initial increment is much higher. During my first few years as engineer, increment was 8-10% average or 20% during promotion.

BTW, how much can an engineering manager (entry level) earn on average?

I worked all my first 12 years in the technical line. now switching to manager because brain getting stupid... just ask other people to do...

Some say promotion is 3 + 6%; some 20%. Any HR out there can advise what is the range in general?

Unregistered 19-08-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27634)
Some say promotion is 3 + 6%; some 20%. Any HR out there can advise what is the range in general?

just provide more info
from GLC
annual increment range depend on grading, 3.5-6%, 3.5% is norm, 6% for A grader
promotion increment range depend on grading, c=4%(norm) ,b=6%, , 8% for A grader

our local newspaper always say the norm annual increment is 3-5%.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HR please advice

Unregistered 21-08-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27608)
I thought upstream should pay quite well. Especially in subsea related stuff say subsea construction, SURF etc. 5 year exp should get at least 100k p.a. ? I suppose with the EPCI such as saipem, McDermott or technip ?

I guess the subsea equipment manufacturers should also pay quite well ?

i'm not too sure if having 5yrs experience in the SURF industry can hit $100k p.a.; as i've only got slightly > 2 years of experience. alot more to learn.. and will only complete my M.Sc (Offshore Technology) in end 2014..! still a long way to go.

and yes, i'm with one of the EPCI companies. :)

i'm thinking the same too; Cameron and FMC should pay quite well? *shrugs*

Unregistered 13-09-2012 04:26 PM

Wonder if engineering graduates doing well?

University:
Engineering Field:
Honours Type:

First Job (Industry):
Starting Salary:

Present Job (Industry):
Basic Salary:
Allowance (Car/ Handphone etc):
Others Benefits (optional):
AWS (yes/no):
Average total yearly bonus (exclude AWS):

Number of job change: