Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Really that bad for engineers? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/866-really-bad-engineers.html)

aimless74 28-08-2011 02:47 PM

hi,

totoally agreed with your view on engineering and the truth is
your engineering boss is correct.
he himself can also be easily replaced if he is not careful

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 15758)
this is what my engineering boss told all his engineers, "It is easy to replace you. All I need is to call my HR to look for one and there will be alot of resumes on my table. If you are not happy with the job, you can quit right away."
Being an engineer(esp in electronic) is such a sad thing. You are so very prone to recession, get very little respect, and even after working for ten years, a fresh grad working in finance may be earning the same amount of money as you. Life is too short to waste away like this.

Unregistered 28-08-2011 04:57 PM

surely it is not so easy to replace an experience engineer, am I wrong? You cannot just take in a fresh grad and then make him design PCB, or start writing embedded software or design the whole circuit for the electronic device. Not to mentioned that certain engineering requires a very specific set of skills that are not very transferable even within the engineering sector.

Unregistered 28-08-2011 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 15762)
surely it is not so easy to replace an experience engineer, am I wrong? You cannot just take in a fresh grad and then make him design PCB, or start writing embedded software or design the whole circuit for the electronic device. Not to mentioned that certain engineering requires a very specific set of skills that are not very transferable even within the engineering sector.

Wrong. Just like in investment bank front office development (i.e. coding), they'll just fire you, hire someone giving him a good pay package (but lower than yours), and make him stare at your code and deliver what they demand asap.

I suppose it's the same everywhere.

Unregistered 28-08-2011 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aimless74 (Post 15732)
hi,
i am at shanghai. my current employment has everything provided for me
accommodation, mobile, internet etc
however, my contract is coming to an end.

Is there any goods that you can export from Shanghai to Singapore? Any trendy stuff there that Singapore still doesn't yet have?

Unregistered 28-08-2011 07:46 PM

Quote:

if a skill is too niche, it may become harder to jump.

aimless74 28-08-2011 10:13 PM

hi

i am searching too but i dont know what is trendy stuff here in SH?
as u know of China quality.. in fact i find the living standard as high or higher than SGP.

if u can PM me for those stuffs.

regards

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 15765)
Is there any goods that you can export from Shanghai to Singapore? Any trendy stuff there that Singapore still doesn't yet have?

Unregistered 29-08-2011 05:39 PM

What is the procedure to import health product to Singapore?

Do we need to register a company?
Do we need to get licences etc....?

Unregistered 29-08-2011 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 15781)
What is the procedure to import health product to Singapore?

Do we need to register a company?
Do we need to get licences etc....?

You don't need to obtain licence to import health supplements. They are not regulated as of now:

Health Sciences Authority - Health Supplements

Unregistered 29-12-2011 08:07 PM

Engineering is Good

The question is what is your definition of engineer.
If you are sincerely passionate about what you learn,then chances are high that you will be among the best. Experienced,creative,science-conscious engineer are highly sought after around the globe.
A lot of engineer are typer, cleaner, emailer,copy paster. If you decide to do the same,I suggest you to change a major. If you are not,then follow your heart.

Unregistered 29-12-2011 10:23 PM

Quote:

yes it is very easy, i joined a oem/odm coy and i just completed *copying an industrial fully configurable control. yes just from the user guide to complete product(including all documentations, user guide/manuals), except designing/milling the casing in 2mths. btw i am only paid 2k, i bet ft would accept 1.6~1.8k.

electronic engineers can go bang wall or at least diploma holders are