Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Really that bad for engineers? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/866-really-bad-engineers.html)

Aeroengineer 21-02-2013 08:43 PM

I graduated with an Aerospace Engineering degree 3 years ago. i have had a job change recently and my pay went from 3000 (no CPF cos I was under some EDB scheme) to 4200 in 3 years with a possibility of earning up to 4500 every month. Yes I am in the aerospace industry. Bonus hits up to 4.5 months every year.

I agree that being an engineer will not take you to finanicial heights. But I believe if you are sincere and passionate about your job , there is really no limit. Of course , I recognize the limitations in remuneration as an engineer, so therefore I am planning to do an MBA in due course. But I plan to still stay in the same industry.

I have tried CFA and everything else. Because earning plenty of money is important to me too. But I realized my happiness at work is important too. And aviation is a passion for me. and that is why i have therefore decided to stay put in the field I have trained so hard. I believe that as long as you put in real effort in what you do, money will find you naturally.

Unregistered 21-02-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aeroengineer (Post 33421)
I graduated with an Aerospace Engineering degree 3 years ago. i have had a job change recently and my pay went from 3000 (no CPF cos I was under some EDB scheme) to 4200 in 3 years with a possibility of earning up to 4500 every month. Yes I am in the aerospace industry. Bonus hits up to 4.5 months every year.

I agree that being an engineer will not take you to finanicial heights. But I believe if you are sincere and passionate about your job , there is really no limit. Of course , I recognize the limitations in remuneration as an engineer, so therefore I am planning to do an MBA in due course. But I plan to still stay in the same industry.

I have tried CFA and everything else. Because earning plenty of money is important to me too. But I realized my happiness at work is important too. And aviation is a passion for me. and that is why i have therefore decided to stay put in the field I have trained so hard. I believe that as long as you put in real effort in what you do, money will find you naturally.

can reveal which aerospace coy now??
got abt 5 yr exp in aviation in the same coy, basic only 4k .....with mechanical degree ntu

wish to change

Unregistered 22-02-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 33422)
can reveal which aerospace coy now??
got abt 5 yr exp in aviation in the same coy, basic only 4k .....with mechanical degree ntu

wish to change

R u working in ST now ??

Unregistered 22-02-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 33393)
top grades does not mean I can do finance or consulting....

although a LOT of my peers went into Finance...

my job got not much stress because I don't really want to climb up anymore... no need to see anybody's face...

no big housing loans, decent pay, play with my kid everyday, go vacation twice a year, live in a nice house, etc.

I mean how long can one live. I don't want to start to enjoy life only after 50 years old or something.

I know people who earn much more than me but don't really "enjoy" life. maybe they like working. Or they will stay in small flat/condo and buy 2nd property for rental.

Then why are you visiting this forum?

Unregistered 23-02-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 33439)
Then why are you visiting this forum?

to check how much higher I can go and whether it is worth it to work hard for a few more years....

Conclusion is probably not really...

Unregistered 23-02-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 33468)
to check how much higher I can go and whether it is worth it to work hard for a few more years....

Conclusion is probably not really...

And so you decided to brag about how little stress you have in your job.

Unregistered 14-03-2013 12:40 AM

Are you all exaggerating your salary???
Engineer Salary in Singapore, Singapore Area | Glassdoor
Average engineer wage: $46500 per annum

rubberbus 14-03-2013 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 34201)

Kao! Are u engineer not? I hope u are not part of the family. Because u are stupid. The website only state average and its only accurate to a certain extend. Furthermore, all the people who posted their salary here may be top few % that's why their salary are above average. Don't assume others trying to exaggerate their salary.

Im feeling very down now so I picked on u. Sorry abt that.

Unregistered 14-03-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 34201)

Wah, you are the dumbest person i've ever seen in my life.

That's average! There are people who earn higher and people who earn lower.
And the survey is pathetic. Check out MOM one better.

Unregistered 14-03-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 33433)
R u working in ST now ??

Maybe.

I'm 8 years into the field, working in ST. Just broke the 5k barrier few months ago.

Thought about life and leapt to SIA Engineering company. Just a hundred dollars more but looks better on resume.

:(