Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 27-10-2023 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 258836)
Don't fret. If Mr LinkedIn business class rainmaker, who has been asked to leave multiple previous firms, can make it, you also can.

Who is this? And details.

Unregistered 27-10-2023 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 259077)
Who is this? And details.

Bro you trying to do pre-action discovery ah

Unregistered 30-10-2023 06:17 PM

Any idea how much an associate director at drew and Napier earns including bonus?

Unregistered 30-10-2023 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 259266)
Any idea how much an associate director at drew and Napier earns including bonus?

Should be about 15k

Unregistered 31-10-2023 04:24 PM

Do dual-qualified (sg) lawyers who're hired at int'l firms only need to be admitted in e.g. E&W/NY/AUS jurisdictions?

Or do they need to apply for/maintain a practising cert as well for that other jurisdiction as well?

Unregistered 01-11-2023 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 259327)
Do dual-qualified (sg) lawyers who're hired at int'l firms only need to be admitted in e.g. E&W/NY/AUS jurisdictions?

Or do they need to apply for/maintain a practising cert as well for that other jurisdiction as well?

Most commonly E&W, sometimes NY (but usually only if the firm does capital markets or int'l arbitration work under NY law - only a handful of firms do in Sg), and rarely Australia.

You'd generally need to maintain a practicing cert for both jurisdictions. In my experience your firm will organise/pay for the application and renewal. For E&W, renewal is done once a year in bulk.

Unregistered 01-11-2023 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 259395)
Most commonly E&W, sometimes NY (but usually only if the firm does capital markets or int'l arbitration work under NY law - only a handful of firms do in Sg), and rarely Australia.

You'd generally need to maintain a practicing cert for both jurisdictions. In my experience your firm will organise/pay for the application and renewal. For E&W, renewal is done once a year in bulk.

this is helpful, good to know thanks!

Unregistered 01-11-2023 07:58 PM

need to be dual qualified to work for magic circle? as a lateral transfer

Unregistered 02-11-2023 02:55 AM

Good morning

Currently 1 PQ in disputes and not sure if I should continue disputes or go into corp. Any thoughts?

TIA

Unregistered 02-11-2023 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 259458)

Not necessarily but it's helpful. They may also hire you as Sg qualified then pay for your E&W qualification (using the SQE exemption), but generally only if you're 2+PQE. I think the only exception is if you're an Sg NQ who joins the Links E&W program, you'd need to do an E&W TC.

Unregistered 02-11-2023 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 259458)

I know milbank has a 1 year policy where if they do decide to hire you and if you you're only sg-qual, they require you to be admitted within 1 year of your employment. That said, they usually prefer to hire dual-quals.

It most likely is the same for other int'l firms. Many of them seem to be dual-qual. If sg-qual only, they're usually fairly new hires.

Unless they're hired in the sg entity or qflp, and are only required to advise on sg law I suppose?

Unregistered 02-11-2023 03:24 AM

Hi seniors, i’m just wondering whether it is normal/allowed for lawyers to have work phones? Like a personal phone with a personal mobile no. and a work phone with a work number. … Trying to think of ways to preserve my WLB when i start working soon 😝

Unregistered 02-11-2023 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 259501)
I know milbank has a 1 year policy where if they do decide to hire you and if you you're only sg-qual, they require you to be admitted within 1 year of your employment. That said, they usually prefer to hire dual-quals.

It most likely is the same for other int'l firms. Many of them seem to be dual-qual. If sg-qual only, they're usually fairly new hires.

Unless they're hired in the sg entity or qflp, and are only required to advise on sg law I suppose?

I'd also add that if you're hired into a more jurisdiction-specific area they might not need you to be dual-qualified. Eg some of the laterally hired disputes lawyers at MC firms are only Sg qualified.

Unregistered 02-11-2023 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 259502)
Hi seniors, i’m just wondering whether it is normal/allowed for lawyers to have work phones? Like a personal phone with a personal mobile no. and a work phone with a work number. … Trying to think of ways to preserve my WLB when i start working soon 😝

Very normal. Not just in the legal industry but everywhere. Get a cheap Android phone with a reasonable SIM only plan.

Your sanity will thank you for it.

Unregistered 02-11-2023 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 259502)

It's super common, and usually your firm (or at least the better ones) will issue you a work phone. Because there are security/confidentiality concerns with letting you to keep work emails or files on your personal devices.

Unregistered 02-11-2023 10:42 PM

curious question, do looks play a part in hiring?

Unregistered 03-11-2023 05:18 AM

Any1 know if the non-JLV MC firms pay London rates for associates?

Unregistered 03-11-2023 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 259576)
Any1 know if the non-JLV MC firms pay London rates for associates?

If you’re hired into the Sg side, you’ll get Sg rates - sometimes this is slightly more than B4 (eg CMS, pinsents). If into the UK side (usually much trickier), then typically London rates.

Unregistered 03-11-2023 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 259558)

Not outrightly.. but obv if you more attractive people tend to like you more so open more doors. If you not attractive then you need to be good lol.

Unregistered 04-11-2023 02:34 PM

Hi seniors, clueless Y2 student here looking at rajah and tann’s tax, trust and private client practice area. Any advice on career prospects there?

Unregistered 04-11-2023 03:02 PM

Malaysian counsel

My learned friends, have worked with malaysian counsel on certain deals and matters and I have noticed some being really crappy, especially those who went through twinning route in the past.

Is that a norm, exception or a subconscious bias.

Unregistered 04-11-2023 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 259659)
My learned friends, have worked with malaysian counsel on certain deals and matters and I have noticed some being really crappy, especially those who went through twinning route in the past.

Is that a norm, exception or a subconscious bias.

Is this the same poster coming here every so often to bitch about Malaysian lawyers (see examples below)? You are not subtle at all dude. Must be salty because you got replaced by a Malaysian lawyer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 246073)
How is the standard of some of our counterparts across the causeway?

Is it just me, but I've found the standard quite cui sometimes working with some counsel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 258837)
Hearsay from learned friends that some firms outsource their work to Malaysia counsel

Is there some truth to this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 249528)
The average M'sian lawyer is grossly below par. Very substandard and poorly trained and way out of depth. I have worked with some in SG registered as foreign lawyer here.

Unregistered 04-11-2023 10:50 PM

How is Mahesh Rai to work for? Or shumin?

Unregistered 04-11-2023 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 259675)
Is this the same poster coming here every so often to bitch about Malaysian lawyers (see examples below)? You are not subtle at all dude. Must be salty because you got replaced by a Malaysian lawyer.

But it's true though. They are just not up to scratch.

Unregistered 05-11-2023 12:14 AM

Which are the B4 firms still practicing hybrid work arrangements or have all of them implemented a full WFO mandate?

Unregistered 05-11-2023 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 259688)
But it's true though. They are just not up to scratch.

But how is the quality of Malaysian lawyers relevant to this thread? And why is it even newsworthy that lawyers in less developed countries with less sophisticated legal markets would be "not up to scratch"? That's like saying the sky is blue.

Unregistered 05-11-2023 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 259695)
But how is the quality of Malaysian lawyers relevant to this thread? And why is it even newsworthy that lawyers in less developed countries with less sophisticated legal markets would be "not up to scratch"? That's like saying the sky is blue.

Then u go dignify the post by responding for?

Unregistered 06-11-2023 12:10 AM

What happened to Weng Yan Chow. Curious

Unregistered 06-11-2023 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 259784)
What happened to Weng Yan Chow. Curious

Heard from source that she left not too long into her tc lol, apparently her work product was bad and she wasn't a great team player + narcissistic lol

Unregistered 06-11-2023 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 259785)
Heard from source that she left not too long into her tc lol, apparently her work product was bad and she wasn't a great team player + narcissistic lol

Hi Joel Sherard Chow

Unregistered 06-11-2023 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 259785)

Lol you want to fake like you not the OP also not liddat fake one la bro. Ask a qns then 1 min later ownself answer ownself lol.

Unregistered 07-11-2023 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 259584)
If you’re hired into the Sg side, you’ll get Sg rates - sometimes this is slightly more than B4 (eg CMS, pinsents). If into the UK side (usually much trickier), then typically London rates.

1. CMS, Pinsent are definitely not MCs. They are also JLVs
2. CMS, Pinsent pay is not higher than Big 4. Big 4 actually gives bonuses.

Do not be fooled by headline figures.

Unregistered 07-11-2023 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 259930)
1. CMS, Pinsent are definitely not MCs. They are also JLVs
2. CMS, Pinsent pay is not higher than Big 4. Big 4 actually gives bonuses.

Do not be fooled by headline figures.

Thoughts about Mayer Brown PKWN JLV? It's the first JLV in a while since 2016

Unregistered 07-11-2023 04:21 PM

What’s the diff between JLV and FLA?

Unregistered 07-11-2023 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 259558)

At entry level, females have an advantage, especially pretty young girls. I guess this is because many partners are male. At partner level, then males have advantage.

Unregistered 07-11-2023 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 259942)

JLV means the international entity is an actual joint law venture entity formed as part of the JLV: e.g. Simmons & Simmons JWS Pte. Ltd (the "FLP").

For this, the SLP would be JWS Asia Law Corporation.

In this case, partners and selected associates are either:
• part of the SLP entity only;
• part of the FLP entity only; or
• part of both the SLP and FLP entities.

FLA means there is only a formal law alliance between the SLP and FLA, meaning they share branding/marketing/domain email, etc. but they maintain strict separation of membership of entity: e.g. Ashurst ADTLaw (this is not an actual entity, its just the name of the alliance).

• part of the SLP entity only; or
• part of the FLA entity only.

Unregistered 07-11-2023 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 259942)

JLV means the international entity is an actual joint law venture entity formed as part of the JLV: e.g. Simmons & Simmons JWS Pte. Ltd. (the "FLP").

For this, the SLP would be: JWS Asia Law Corporation.

• part of the SLP entity only;
• part of the FLP entity only; or
• part of both the SLP and FLP entities.

FLA means there is only a formal law alliance between the SLP and FLP, meaning they share branding/marketing/domain email, etc. but they maintain strict separation of membership of entity: e.g. Ashurst ADTLaw (this is not an actual entity, its just the name of the alliance).

• part of the SLP entity only; or
• part of the FLP entity only.

[Note: Post amended to correct minor errors from previous post above.]

Unregistered 07-11-2023 08:43 PM

How much will I earn as a newly qualified solicitor? 💷

Law firm NQ salary
Vinson & Elkins £173,822
Akin Gump £173,254*
Kirkland & Ellis £173,254*
Milbank £173,254*
Latham & Watkins £173,254*
Davis Polk & Wardwell £165,000
Weil Gotshal & Manges £165,000
Paul Hastings £164,000
Gibson Dunn £161,700
Debevoise & Plimpton £160,500
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton £160,000
Goodwin Procter £160,000
Sidley Austin £159,500
Fried Frank £158,000
King & Spalding £156,000
Cooley £150,000
Willkie Farr & Gallagher £150,000
Ropes & Gray £147,000
Dechert £145,000
Jones Day £145,000
Shearman & Sterling £145,000
Sullivan & Cromwell £145,000
Orrick £140,000
White & Case £140,000
Allen & Overy £125,000
Clifford Chance £125,000
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer £125,000
Linklaters £125,000
Baker McKenzie £120,000
Herbert Smith Freehills £120,000
Hogan Lovells £120,000
Mayer Brown £120,000
Ashurst £115,000
Macfarlanes £115,000
Slaughter and May £115,000
K&L Gates £110,000
Travers Smith £110,000

://.legalcheek.com/2023/11/money-focus-what-law-firms-pay-their-newly-qualified-lawyers/

These are the top 30+ in London. Any firms on this list that have SG offices which are paying NQs at the same scale as for London? (I'm aware not all firms stated here have SG offices).

Unregistered 08-11-2023 01:10 AM

what’s the work life balance like in MC firm vs Big4?

Unregistered 08-11-2023 02:46 AM

Is passing Part B difficult? Seeing many of my peers stressing over the revised syllabus