Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 12-04-2022 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 213668)
I am keen to do restructuring and Insolvency work. Any recommendations on who would be a good mentor? I am currently a finance associate at a big 4 outfit, and have some experience working on such files.

You want to move from financing to R&I? You crazy?

Unregistered 12-04-2022 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 213668)
I am keen to do restructuring and Insolvency work. Any recommendations on who would be a good mentor? I am currently a finance associate at a big 4 outfit, and have some experience working on such files.

All the Big 4 have some sort of R&I practice (although some are more market-leading than others). Why not look for an internal transfer first?

Unregistered 14-04-2022 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 213702)
All the Big 4 have some sort of R&I practice (although some are more market-leading than others). Why not look for an internal transfer first?

Can anyone share your experience with Recruiters in SG please?

Im looking to move to international firm.

Unregistered 15-04-2022 08:16 PM

What are the salary bands for Shook Lin?

Unregistered 15-04-2022 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 213955)
Can anyone share your experience with Recruiters in SG please?

Im looking to move to international firm.

Just use any that has kang tao la. Focus on your cv. If your cv cmi whoever you use also not gonna help

Unregistered 15-04-2022 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 214063)

Like shiet.

Unregistered 16-04-2022 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 214065)
Just use any that has kang tao la. Focus on your cv. If your cv cmi whoever you use also not gonna help

I want to have very friendly recruiter who can cham siong one

Unregistered 16-04-2022 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212143)
Yeah but I would caveat this and say if one is keen on staying on in practice, it is possible to stick it out for a year or so in a small firm before jumping to a larger firm. Starting out from a small firm isn't a death sentence.

So the consensus here is: if you're in a small or mid firm and can't make it to (i) international firms, (ii) Big 4 (which is a stepping stone to the internationals), or (iii) (minimally) Rodyk, and don't manage to lateral to these aforementioned firms within your first 2 to 3 years of practice, then you're better off quitting law entirely?

Unregistered 16-04-2022 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 214143)
So the consensus here is: if you're in a small or mid firm and can't make it to (i) international firms, (ii) Big 4 (which is a stepping stone to the internationals), or (iii) (minimally) Rodyk, and don't manage to lateral to these aforementioned firms within your first 2 to 3 years of practice, then you're better off quitting law entirely?

Unless law is your calling or you are a liti god

Unregistered 16-04-2022 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 214114)
I want to have very friendly recruiter who can cham siong one

I heard Ansa Search has good rates of getting people into int’ll firms

Unregistered 16-04-2022 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 214063)

Have it on good authority that they raised their starting pay as well. Not the same as b4 but at least 7k.

Unregistered 16-04-2022 06:04 PM

Quote:

There are plenty of people with fulfilling and lucrative careers in small and medium sized firms. There are also various examples of people from top international law firms lateralling to local firms (including small/medium firms) because it's easier to make partner and build your own practice there.

So please don't take career advice from a bunch of anonymous forumers who might be the same few individuals posting the same skewed perspective repeatedly.

Unregistered 16-04-2022 09:53 PM

Quote:

What a lousy amalgamation of clearly very different standards. Don’t think we didn’t notice.

Unregistered 17-04-2022 10:05 AM

Has Suet Fern no shame? onwardsingapore1965 June 18, 2017 Singapore

Two days ago, I attended an event by BoardAgender, an initiative supported by the Singapore Council of Women’s Organisations (SCWO). The event seeks to promote the appointment of more women to boards and had a dialogue on having more women on boards.

I am surprised to see Suet Fen there as I thought she would be busy with the ongoing family saga, but what happened during the event shocked many of us, and I can’t help but to disgusted that a woman of her stature resorted to such actions.

Suet Fern stood up during the dialogue, and launched into a diatribe about her fight with Lee Hsien Loong. Amongst other things, she accused LHL of having lied under oath and that she was unfairly harassed by Ministry of Law over her firm’s application to tie up with Morgan Bockius Lewis. She claims that MinLaw gave her much problems about an inaccurate statement, accused her of lying under oath (over a minor inaccuracy) and that it took several months before it was sorted out.

Many of the participants were very uncomfortable with Suet Fern’s attempt to drag them into the dispute and found it distasteful. One of them told her that he did not think what she was doing was good for either herself or Singapore.

The organisers were very embarrassed.

While I have not met Suet Fern personally, I do know her by reputation. Her actions at the dialogue, and lack of concern for the impact it may have on the reputation of BoardAgender and SCWO, is not out of character for her. She is known to use her clout as being the sister-in-law of the Prime Minister to get her way. In fact, many in the legal fraternity whisper that both she and her firm would not be what it is today without her abusing connections.

When Stamford Law merged with Morgan Lewis, Suet Fern was the only person that got the better deal. Many of her junior partners (it takes around 8 years to become a junior partner) were demoted to associates. Imagine working 8 years to be promoted to a manager and when your firm has a merger, you got demoted. Many aspiring junior partners left the firm. And there is also the rumours of malpractice over an Osim case which was hushed up due to her connections.

In short, Suet Fern has no shame in using her connections when it benefits her. And when the benefits stop, she literally bites the hand that feeds her. This is further proof of the type of woman Suet Fern is …. self-serving!

Josh

Our FB page: s://.facebook.com/Onward-Singapore-1151695098198275/

s://onwardsingapore.wordpress.com/2017/06/18/has-suet-fern-no-shame/

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 210515)
Pacific Prime Insurance Brokers Singapore Pte. Ltd. & Anor V Lee Suet Fern & 3 Ors
HC/S 825/2021
Hearing March 2022

Nature of Case : Law of Confidence
Venue : Supreme Court
Judge/judicial Officer : Justice Choo Han Teck

=== > Noob Question Here , My Learnedfriend Lawyers. Is It The Same Lee Suet Fern as Law Society of Singapore V Lee Suet Fern (Alias Lim Suet Fern) [2020] Sghc 255, From Morgan Lewis Stamford??

If Is Same..
=== > So Many Breach of Confidence Cases From Stamford Law? Leaking Data to Lover by This Firm's Employee. Now This Hooha Wif Pacific Prime Insurance Brokers

Is Clients' Data Safe With This Law Firm or Not ??

Unregistered 17-04-2022 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 214196)
There are also various examples of people from top international law firms lateralling to local firms (including small/medium firms) because it's easier to make partner and build your own practice there.

Oh really? Can share some profiles? Don’t suppose you mean those arbitrators who can obviously command their own business.

Unregistered 17-04-2022 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 214255)
Oh really? Can share some profiles? Don’t suppose you mean those arbitrators who can obviously command their own business.

That statement will not apply to corporate law, only litigation or arbitration. There are no boutique / mid-size / small-size firms in the SG market which do tier 1 or even tier 2 corporate work. Only the big firms are able to support the scale, intensity and full suite of services which big corporate clients require for transactional matters.

Unregistered 17-04-2022 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 214215)
What a lousy amalgamation of clearly very different standards. Don’t think we didn’t notice.

HAHHAA trying to sneak Rodyk into the mix.

Unregistered 17-04-2022 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 214288)
HAHHAA trying to sneak Rodyk into the mix.

Waste of time third rate firm trying to masquerade as 'international'.

Unregistered 17-04-2022 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 214255)

Don't be lazy. Just keep a breast on linkedin - the oon bazul recent hires are a prime example.

Unregistered 17-04-2022 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 214275)
That statement will not apply to corporate law, only litigation or arbitration. There are no boutique / mid-size / small-size firms in the SG market which do tier 1 or even tier 2 corporate work. Only the big firms are able to support the scale, intensity and full suite of services which big corporate clients require for transactional matters.

It's a misconception that you need to service the big global MNCs and do "Tier 1" or "Tier 2" work to make money. Plenty of Asian towkays and family businesses have money to spend and need legal services too.

There are plenty of mid-level corporate assocs who left Big 4 firms to start or join boutique firms and are raking in big bucks. You won't find them ranked in Chambers or Legal500 but they are quietly making more money than their peers in big international firms because they don't have a big firm's expensive overheads and keep most of what they bring in. The average mid-level associate bills $75k a month (assuming $500 hourly rate) but is paid a tiny fraction of that - imagine keeping most of that for yourself.

Unregistered 17-04-2022 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 214296)
Don't be lazy. Just keep a breast on linkedin - the oon bazul recent hires are a prime example.

Lame la disputes obv different

Unregistered 17-04-2022 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 214303)
It's a misconception that you need to service the big global MNCs and do "Tier 1" or "Tier 2" work to make money. Plenty of Asian towkays and family businesses have money to spend and need legal services too.

There are plenty of mid-level corporate assocs who left Big 4 firms to start or join boutique firms and are raking in big bucks. You won't find them ranked in Chambers or Legal500 but they are quietly making more money than their peers in big international firms because they don't have a big firm's expensive overheads and keep most of what they bring in. The average mid-level associate bills $75k a month (assuming $500 hourly rate) but is paid a tiny fraction of that - imagine keeping most of that for yourself.

Gosh, you really have no idea of the fee compression which is going on in corporate law now do you?

Unregistered 18-04-2022 02:58 PM

s://.elitigation.sg/gd/gd/2022_SGHC_87

Cheating in Part B...
6 NQ vacancies in "big and renowned firms, including two foreign offshore firms"?

Unregistered 18-04-2022 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 214401)
s://.elitigation.sg/gd/gd/2022_SGHC_87

Cheating in Part B...
6 NQ vacancies in "big and renowned firms, including two foreign offshore firms"?

Surprised by how light the punishment is

Unregistered 18-04-2022 05:58 PM

Lame why part B need to cheat. So easy close eyes also can pass. All no integrity strawberries

Unregistered 18-04-2022 07:45 PM

Who are the 6 who cheated.

Unregistered 18-04-2022 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 214427)
Lame why part B need to cheat. So easy close eyes also can pass. All no integrity strawberries

today as a part b student, i cheat in exam
tmr as a lawyer, i cheat my client monies

Unregistered 18-04-2022 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 214446)
today as a part b student, i cheat in exam
tmr as a lawyer, i cheat my client monies

I cheat in exam vs I cheat my assocs on how bz I am doing work for other assocs and why my dog ate up my drafts vs i cheat my aunt agonies at work on how I have been loaded with work by all the assocs

To be honest what's the difference

Unregistered 19-04-2022 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 214478)
I cheat in exam vs I cheat my assocs on how bz I am doing work for other assocs and why my dog ate up my drafts vs i cheat my aunt agonies at work on how I have been loaded with work by all the assocs

To be honest what's the difference

Truly a lawyer.

Actually there is a diff.

The difference is getting caught. U can cheat but not getting caught is impt. What kind of clever part b candidates will submit identical answer. At least paraphrase a bit. No life skills.
Wonder if it is 2nd tier uk grads.

Unregistered 19-04-2022 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 214180)
Have it on good authority that they raised their starting pay as well. Not the same as b4 but at least 7k.

Assume bonus is front loaded? So Annual is 12 months x 7k? That’s pretty good.

Unregistered 19-04-2022 08:21 AM

I'm having a crisis. Everyone seems to live and breathe the law. Everyone sounds so professional and corporate with no serious interests outside of law. Not even family.

Truth is, I in fact have no passion for it. I hate the "corporate" image most lawyers have to maintain. Yet I can't bake or make chocolates or (insert sellable skill). Law the only way I know how to make a living. That's my crisis.

Unregistered 19-04-2022 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 214493)
I'm having a crisis. Everyone seems to live and breathe the law. Everyone sounds so professional and corporate with no serious interests outside of law. Not even family.

Truth is, I in fact have no passion for it. I hate the "corporate" image most lawyers have to maintain. Yet I can't bake or make chocolates or (insert sellable skill). Law the only way I know how to make a living. That's my crisis.

this happens in the junior years when everybody is super enthusiastic about this profession that they joined as fresh grads, and only mix around in social circles where everyone's a lawyer and keep talking shop. Especially pervasive in big firms, where lawyers are essentially everyone you interact with. It's easy to forget that there's a whole world outside industry.

it will get better trust me. after a few years, most people would have diverged or diversified their interests / gotten married with kids / gone on to do other things / became tai tai, and falling off the career ladder doesn't seem like such a taboo anymore.

You just need to switch your mindset slightly. Think of it as a job to put food on the table. Nothing more. There's no need to buy into the Kool Aid that you must give your life to the profession. That misconception is only promulgated by the lawyers with no life.

Unregistered 19-04-2022 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 214483)
Truly a lawyer.

Actually there is a diff.

The difference is getting caught. U can cheat but not getting caught is impt. What kind of clever part b candidates will submit identical answer. At least paraphrase a bit. No life skills.
Wonder if it is 2nd tier uk grads.

actually all of the 6 are from NUS

Unregistered 19-04-2022 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 214418)
Surprised by how light the punishment is

This. pretty sure if you cheated on a uni exam, it would at least be reflected in your formal educational records. This is what happened when the NUS cheating scandal happened last year?

Unregistered 19-04-2022 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 214507)
actually all of the 6 are from NUS

Only delisted UK grads will be dumb enough to do this.

Unregistered 19-04-2022 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 214541)
Only delisted UK grads will be dumb enough to do this.

Can we also 'delist' those six who cheated? As well as that whistleblower. Fresh grad nowadays need 3 modules of ethics and integrity. Can't believe CHT give them second chance, lol whatttt if I got them as my NQ or trainee, will make sure they suffer mentally and emotionally

Unregistered 19-04-2022 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 214545)
Can we also 'delist' those six who cheated? As well as that whistleblower. Fresh grad nowadays need 3 modules of ethics and integrity. Can't believe CHT give them second chance, lol whatttt if I got them as my NQ or trainee, will make sure they suffer mentally and emotionally

Can AGC appeal anot? See what the Apex Court says.
If an FT cheats in exam, will he or she get the same judgment. This is so bad meaning it sets precedence that you may be let off the hook if u cheat.

Unregistered 19-04-2022 02:33 PM

saw on reddit that the 6 have been identified through their AAS numbers?

"If you have access to an e-litigation account, you can look up the brief details of the matter with the AAS reference."

Unregistered 19-04-2022 03:32 PM

is there gag order on the 6 names? expose lah

Unregistered 19-04-2022 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 214548)
Can AGC appeal anot? See what the Apex Court says.
If an FT cheats in exam, will he or she get the same judgment. This is so bad meaning it sets precedence that you may be let off the hook if u cheat.

The adjournment was in fact proposed by AGC's lawyer. Given the position that AGC took during the hearing, it is unlikely they will object in 6 months' time

On the other hand, an interested member of the profession or public is entitled to object under rule 28 of the legal profession admission rules. I'm too humji but I hope somebody with stronger feelings about this does it.