Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 02-02-2023 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 239690)
Hahaha ya bro. This proves that 50% of posts here are all talking s__t. Probably still law sch kids trying to act tough

Law school kids with peasant roots no less! Yucks

Unregistered 02-02-2023 11:37 PM

Recruiters

Who should I reach out to, and who to avoid

Unregistered 02-02-2023 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 239712)
Who should I reach out to, and who to avoid

NSEW whos the besh? Aslant Aslant ish the besh!

Unregistered 03-02-2023 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 239694)
How are ang moh bosses? Good to work for?

There are good ones. Australians usually are worse than your asian slave drivers. Extremely racist.

Unregistered 03-02-2023 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 239725)
There are good ones. Australians usually are worse than your asian slave drivers. Extremely racist.

How about PRC? I’ve had bad experience working with some.

Unregistered 03-02-2023 02:56 PM

Does anyone here know how much an AGC state counsel/DPP earn on average? I’m currently a 4PQE and am thinking of jumping to the legal service. Any guidance would be very helpful. Thanks!

Unregistered 03-02-2023 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 239689)
You can’t rent out or flip until the MOP is over…

Clearly, you don't know the rules entirely. You cannot rent out the whole flat until MOP is over but you can rent out your bedrooms (short of renting out the whole flat) during MOP if your flat is 3-room and bigger. You can buy a 5-room flat and rent out nearly all the bedrooms except leaving one for you and your spouse, as long as you are still residing in the flat until MOP is over.

Unregistered 03-02-2023 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 239742)
Clearly, you don't know the rules entirely. You cannot rent out the whole flat until MOP is over but you can rent out your bedrooms (short of renting out the whole flat) during MOP if your flat is 3-room and bigger. You can buy a 5-room flat and rent out nearly all the bedrooms except leaving one for you and your spouse, as long as you are still residing in the flat until MOP is over.

And share your marital home with random strangers? Please, even Chinatown lawyers have more dignity than that.

Unregistered 03-02-2023 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 239746)
And share your marital home with random strangers? Please, even Chinatown lawyers have more dignity than that.

OK, calm down everyone. This is the lawyer salary forum, not PropertyGuru.

Unregistered 03-02-2023 08:56 PM

Quote:

This comment only shows you can put the gst voucher working class kid in the local law schools but you cannot remove their working class mindset whereby a 5 room flat is a big deal. Lmao the elites would have their parents buying a condominium/landed in their name even before graduation. Back to the usual salary programming.

Unregistered 03-02-2023 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 239726)
How about PRC? I’ve had bad experience working with some.

Which firms got PRCs in Singapore? King & woods mallesons?

Unregistered 03-02-2023 10:02 PM

Quote:

My response that you cannot rent/flip was to the original poster’s comment that a person can do so while living at his/her parent’s place. The condition that the owner would still have to reside in the flat would not be satisfied. Hence my comment that flipping/renting under such a situation is not allowed is still true.

Unregistered 05-02-2023 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 239754)
This comment only shows you can put the gst voucher working class kid in the local law schools but you cannot remove their working class mindset whereby a 5 room flat is a big deal. Lmao the elites would have their parents buying a condominium/landed in their name even before graduation. Back to the usual salary programming.

Your mother must be disappointed in you. If she's still alive, of course.

Unregistered 05-02-2023 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 239740)
Does anyone here know how much an AGC state counsel/DPP earn on average? I’m currently a 4PQE and am thinking of jumping to the legal service. Any guidance would be very helpful. Thanks!

Bumping this for interest

Unregistered 06-02-2023 11:14 AM

What's the salary for A&G NQ (PQE1) now?

Unregistered 06-02-2023 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 239872)

6.5k. Heard it will also be 6.5k for the next batch of trainees after they complete their 1 year TC

Unregistered 06-02-2023 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 239878)
6.5k. Heard it will also be 6.5k for the next batch of trainees after they complete their 1 year TC

sure anot? even lower than TSMP?

Unregistered 06-02-2023 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 239838)
Your mother must be disappointed in you. If she's still alive, of course.

Go cry in your hdb peasant

Unregistered 06-02-2023 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 239872)

NQ and PQE1 are 2 different things.

NQ is after mass call in Aug until Dec
In the next calendar yr Jan, you'll be 1 PQE.

6.5K for NQ, rising to 7.2K for 1 PQE.

Unregistered 06-02-2023 07:03 PM

Hiring market

How’s the hiring market now. I’m looking to leave my current firm.

My initial months were peaceful but a partner which is not my boss and gives me adhoc has started going around on a slime campaign about me about my lack of interest in a file with their secretary when we got looped into something together and this isn’t even the team I work for. I tried to turn it down but I couldn’t.

This partner basically forced my hand on a file and the secretary lied about my work load. In fact I have several seniors but I don’t report to this partner.

None of my actual bosses even stepped in and in fact have more doubt over me.

This firm I’m in values support staff more than the juniors. I’m tired and out.

My BP has even shot up.

The seniors I report to asked me to explain myself and I tried to defend. In fact I’ve taken over the file but that idiotic partner has continued slandering me on a daily basis:

Unregistered 07-02-2023 10:00 AM

A partner who is not even my own boss is trying to force me out of my firm, and has repeatedly tried to slime my character.

Partner has even tried to spread false lies to my own bosses, and bosses being bosses they scratch each others back.

My initial months were peaceful until I became a target by this Partner.

How do I navigate myself out.

Unregistered 07-02-2023 10:22 AM

Welcome to the legal profession!

Unregistered 07-02-2023 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 239896)

Wrong. 1pqe is 7.5k. Why do you feel the need to mislead?

Unregistered 07-02-2023 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 239939)
Wrong. 1pqe is 7.5k. Why do you feel the need to mislead?

What about TSMP 1 PQE? Heard its 8k since their NQ is 1k and some of their assocs received up to 5 months bonus last year?

Unregistered 07-02-2023 06:11 PM

Anyone familiar with the salary at CMS Holborn Asia? Is it a real international firm or a “fake” JV like the common culprits listed in this forum?

Unregistered 07-02-2023 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 239935)
A partner who is not even my own boss is trying to force me out of my firm, and has repeatedly tried to slime my character.

Partner has even tried to spread false lies to my own bosses, and bosses being bosses they scratch each others back.

My initial months were peaceful until I became a target by this Partner.

How do I navigate myself out.

Just quit lmao

Unregistered 08-02-2023 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 239960)
What about TSMP 1 PQE? Heard its 8k since their NQ is 1k and some of their assocs received up to 5 months bonus last year?

NQ 1k? What’s going on here

Unregistered 08-02-2023 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 240024)

Pofma, Pofma that guy now!!!

Unregistered 08-02-2023 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 240024)

sorry 7k typo.

Unregistered 09-02-2023 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 239978)
Anyone familiar with the salary at CMS Holborn Asia? Is it a real international firm or a “fake” JV like the common culprits listed in this forum?

Same tier as Morgan Lewis Stamford, Dentons Rodyk, Clyde & Co Classis, etc etc…. You get the gist

Unregistered 09-02-2023 09:19 AM

Does anyone know what trainee/NQ pay at WithersKhattarWong is?

Unregistered 09-02-2023 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 239896)

How will this calculation change post- Part B overhaul? Cos the TC is one year, so mass call is somewhere in March. Does it mean NQ for 9 months and PQE 1 is only from the next calendar year?

Unregistered 09-02-2023 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 240056)
Same tier as Morgan Lewis Stamford, Dentons Rodyk, Clyde & Co Classis, etc etc…. You get the gist

What about compared with HSF, NRF, Simmons & Simmons - which offers their sg trainees UK/dual qualification, or Ashurst - which puts their sg trainees through 2-year rotation also.

Unregistered 09-02-2023 08:53 PM

Thoughts on QWP opening an office in London?

Unregistered 09-02-2023 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 240108)

should send Joyce Khoo there. far away from the rest of us.

Unregistered 10-02-2023 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 240108)

They closed their HK office. Money losing ventures. Cant fight in Sg so they try hard to differentiate themselves. Just a fourth rate firm.

Unregistered 10-02-2023 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 240072)
How will this calculation change post- Part B overhaul? Cos the TC is one year, so mass call is somewhere in March. Does it mean NQ for 9 months and PQE 1 is only from the next calendar year?

So little thought behind the whole revamp it’s honestly ridiculous. So much for commenting on the degrading standards of the industry when this entirely debacle was put forward 5 years ago.

Unregistered 10-02-2023 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 240118)
should send Joyce Khoo there. far away from the rest of us.

what lmao, what did she do to you

Unregistered 10-02-2023 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 240131)
So little thought behind the whole revamp it’s honestly ridiculous. So much for commenting on the degrading standards of the industry when this entirely debacle was put forward 5 years ago.

I have serious doubts lengthening the TC period will improve the quality of practising lawyers as is hoped.

This is one of those initiatives that look good on committee papers, and you can spend hours writing pages of policy recommendations based on "extensive" overseas datapoints etc etc, but anybody who's spent even a week in a real law firm working environment will know that it will be ineffectual and totally divorced from reality.

All that will happen is that it gives law firm 6 additional months to exploit their trainees at low pay. And shift financial burden and imposes barriers to financially disadvantaged lawyers.

We do not have a quality problem of NQs.

What we have is a quality problem of old senior lawyers working in 1 to 5 man outfits that are unable to provide good mentorship and experiences to their trainees/juniors, because either their book of business have been declining over the years, or they've picked up numerous poor habits and work ethics, or both. A perusal of recent disciplinary cases largely dealing with senior lawyers in such solo/small practices, will attest to that. This is the quality problem that LawSoc / MinLaw should be addressing.

One of the advantages of this jurisdiction that makes it marginally tolerable to practice law is the relatively short period (0.5 years of bar + 0.5 years of TC) for professional qualification compared to say the UK or HK. The current status is OK considering how low the market payscales are.

Lengthening the TC period to 1 year will make law an even less attractive prospects to even semi-bright young people who have a plethora of other good and well-paying career options to consider.

Unregistered 10-02-2023 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 240139)
I have serious doubts lengthening the TC period will improve the quality of practising lawyers as is hoped.

This is one of those initiatives that look good on committee papers, and you can spend hours writing pages of policy recommendations based on "extensive" overseas datapoints etc etc, but anybody who's spent even a week in a real law firm working environment will know that it will be ineffectual and totally divorced from reality.

All that will happen is that it gives law firm 6 additional months to exploit their trainees at low pay. And shift financial burden and imposes barriers to financially disadvantaged lawyers.

We do not have a quality problem of NQs.

What we have is a quality problem of old senior lawyers working in 1 to 5 man outfits that are unable to provide good mentorship and experiences to their trainees/juniors, because either their book of business have been declining over the years, or they've picked up numerous poor habits and work ethics, or both. A perusal of recent disciplinary cases largely dealing with senior lawyers in such solo/small practices, will attest to that. This is the quality problem that LawSoc / MinLaw should be addressing.

One of the advantages of this jurisdiction that makes it marginally tolerable to practice law is the relatively short period (0.5 years of bar + 0.5 years of TC) for professional qualification compared to say the UK or HK. The current status is OK considering how low the market payscales are.

Lengthening the TC period to 1 year will make law an even less attractive prospects to even semi-bright young people who have a plethora of other good and well-paying career options to consider.

Lol, what did you expect, during the opening of the legal year, our CJ said that WFH is causing ethical issue with young lawyers and creating more lawsoc disciplinary actions, when almost all of the people who underwent disciplinary action were old(er) lawyers.

IMO, this statement obviously comes from some echo chamber of old lawyers who aren't really in touch with the practice of law anymore.

The issue is that the old guard refuses to die out or adapt, when being a lawyer was so much easier during their time, and are unwilling to actually do anything that would alleviate the issues with the legal industry.