Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 02-12-2021 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192292)
I just saw someone on Linkedin make a direct move from Singapore to NYC! That sweet Cravath $$$

Sweet american tax rates and cost of living in NYC too.

Unregistered 02-12-2021 06:37 PM

sweet exposure, most importantly

Unregistered 02-12-2021 06:47 PM

I know this is a salary post but I sincerely do wish to find a partner. I only see my colleagues at work and they are all dating apart from myself. Any advice?

Unregistered 02-12-2021 07:44 PM

How to find girlfriend?
In a B4 everyday stay in office until 3am
9am back in office

Unregistered 02-12-2021 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192305)
How to find girlfriend?
In a B4 everyday stay in office until 3am
9am back in office

careful dont be like that Drew asspc who "graduated with highest distinction from a local university" but kenna charged for molest huh

Unregistered 02-12-2021 09:52 PM

am starting TC soon. what happens if you make mistakes during TC or during the course of practice? everyone makes mistakes & the most impt thing is to learn from them , so i assume most bosses won't be too unhappy if you make a couple mistakes when starting out?

how do ppl cope with imposter syndrome

Unregistered 02-12-2021 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192333)
am starting TC soon. what happens if you make mistakes during TC or during the course of practice? everyone makes mistakes & the most impt thing is to learn from them , so i assume most bosses won't be too unhappy if you make a couple mistakes when starting out?

not retained

Unregistered 02-12-2021 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192333)

Nobody is going to f*ck you or throw you out for making mistakes, as long as it is a mistake that you do not repeat. Additionally, make sure your mistake is not due to carelessness (mistakes from lack of understanding or lack of instruction is more forgivable).

Unregistered 02-12-2021 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192232)
Actually you're the troll who doesn't understand SG scale vs UK scale. SG NQ scale is not UK NQ scale. 6 months PTC vs 2 years TC (now SQE) before you can even touch your NQ salary.

CPF is not tax. It is a deduction but CPF is your money. Employer's contributions make it even more worthwhile, because you use it to buy a house which generally rises in value, much unlike renting. Rent is debatable, since I'd or do use CPF to pay off mortgage repayments - which doesn't classify as expenditure or a deduction since I'd get it back upon sale. Tax is the only thing that matters.

How does a banded rate of up to 40% compare with Singapore's very low tax rate (100K is 95K post tax)? Even on a post-tax basis, 76K GBP in real terms is only a bit more than B4 2PQE post raise. Difference of around 10K? Correct me if I'm wrong.

eh bro, say u r delisted or listed uk uni, you still have to train 2 years rlt part a b pt
which is the same as the 2 years sqe TC mah
No one say CPF = tax. Ur comprehension got problem? CPF is a deduction.
CPF is not tax, but is your 2000 GBP deduction for rent considered tax?
How come u go minus rent, then say u only "earn" xxx?
What is your definition of "earn"?
U change goalpost when it suits you

40% tax is only for the band above 50k.
Whatever you earn up to 50k GBP is taxed at 0% + 20%
Which means for the same amt u are earning in SGD at a B4, converted to GBP ur tax band is only 20%

Unregistered 02-12-2021 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192297)
Sweet american tax rates and cost of living in NYC too.

Are American tax rates high? I thought they (NY) only range from 4 to 8% which is quite good compared to London

Unregistered 02-12-2021 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192335)
Nobody is going to f*ck you or throw you out for making mistakes, as long as it is a mistake that you do not repeat. Additionally, make sure your mistake is not due to carelessness (mistakes from lack of understanding or lack of instruction is more forgivable).

haha i was very careless but still managed to get retained in big 4

Unregistered 03-12-2021 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192347)
Are American tax rates high? I thought they (NY) only range from 4 to 8% which is quite good compared to London

You need to add up State and Federal taxes and property taxes - I believe in NY it comes up to around the same, with a higher cost of living than London or Singapore (NY property is insane).

That said, when you are starting in your career, being in NY and being right at the HQ of a global firm, is a completely different experience from being in the 10 person Singapore satellite office where nobody is going to have time to teach you anything (and you might pick up bad habits that nobody has time to correct).

Unregistered 03-12-2021 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192347)

Not to mention, NY salaries are still higher than local firm salaries AFTER TAX so...

Unregistered 03-12-2021 10:58 AM

Thread is moving so fast no one will notice that I am very gay

Unregistered 03-12-2021 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192380)
Thread is moving so fast no one will notice that I am very gay

Why you come out of the closet

Unregistered 03-12-2021 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192365)
Not to mention, NY salaries are still higher than local firm salaries AFTER TAX so...

The experience itself is worth it

Unregistered 03-12-2021 12:59 PM

The sweet american dollars and the american experience
Can you say the same for the unpaid TC firms

Unregistered 03-12-2021 01:02 PM

salt

You get salty sinkie lawyers here.
Low or negligible pay & subpar experience

Unregistered 03-12-2021 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192399)
The sweet american dollars and the american experience
Can you say the same for the unpaid TC firms

Salty about US firms in NY sia. Big money low tax.

Unpaid TCs are the worst

Unregistered 03-12-2021 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192290)
am looking for in-house roles

any recruiters to recommend? thanks!

High recommend paulin or emily

Unregistered 03-12-2021 02:32 PM

OC queen street pay how much?

Unregistered 03-12-2021 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192408)
High recommend paulin or emily

Agreed. I second this , on emily. International firm jobs

Unregistered 03-12-2021 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192410)
Agreed. I second this , on emily. International firm jobs

note to n00bs, this is sarcasm. it always amazes me how people have consistently bad experiences w her

Unregistered 03-12-2021 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192413)
note to n00bs, this is sarcasm. it always amazes me how people have consistently bad experiences w her

Honestly I've been hearing conflicting reports, are they actually as horrible as stated, because I can see some good reviews on their linkedin too.

Can someone with 1st hand experience actually let us know how they behave?

Unregistered 03-12-2021 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192407)
Salty about US firms in NY sia. Big money low tax.

Unpaid TCs are the worst

Foreign lawyer practising in Singapore here... are these a thing?!

Unregistered 03-12-2021 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192334)
not retained

if not retained do you pay for your own part B fees?

Unregistered 03-12-2021 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192414)
Honestly I've been hearing conflicting reports, are they actually as horrible as stated, because I can see some good reviews on their linkedin too.

Can someone with 1st hand experience actually let us know how they behave?

Their reviews online , even on this forum, ish not bad

Unregistered 03-12-2021 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192415)
Foreign lawyer practising in Singapore here... are these a thing?!

YES.

It's a thing. Idk why SG doesn't adopt the UK/US style TCs which has consistently produced good candidates.

Unregistered 03-12-2021 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192340)
eh bro, say u r delisted or listed uk uni, you still have to train 2 years rlt part a b pt
which is the same as the 2 years sqe TC mah
No one say CPF = tax. Ur comprehension got problem? CPF is a deduction.
CPF is not tax, but is your 2000 GBP deduction for rent considered tax?
How come u go minus rent, then say u only "earn" xxx?
What is your definition of "earn"?
U change goalpost when it suits you

40% tax is only for the band above 50k.
Whatever you earn up to 50k GBP is taxed at 0% + 20%
Which means for the same amt u are earning in SGD at a B4, converted to GBP ur tax band is only 20%

No you are right in that technically duration is same but the SG conversion is 2PQE = UK NQ. That's what the market adopts. Also you count SG Bar but not UK Bar?

Anyway not here to split hairs save as to point out even not counting rent SG salary is only a few% less if you use market conversion. Now it's going to be a bit different in that the PTP is going to be extended, so UK TC now > SG TC.

CPF is not tax. I never said it was. You did. It is a deduction but it is your money.

You're right about banded tax. And we are on common ground. I never said it was a 40% flat tax, that's not the way most countries work. All I'm pointing out is that the tax rate there is crazily high. UK firms should pay even more to give incentives because of the high taxes.

Not from UK uni btw, but did consider just applying there anyway.

Unregistered 03-12-2021 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192423)
No you are right in that technically duration is same but the SG conversion is 2PQE = UK NQ. That's what the market adopts. Also you count SG Bar but not UK Bar?

Anyway not here to split hairs save as to point out even not counting rent SG salary is only a few% less if you use market conversion. Now it's going to be a bit different in that the PTP is going to be extended, so UK TC now > SG TC.

CPF is not tax. I never said it was. You did. It is a deduction but it is your money.

You're right about banded tax. And we are on common ground. I never said it was a 40% flat tax, that's not the way most countries work. All I'm pointing out is that the tax rate there is crazily high. UK firms should pay even more to give incentives because of the high taxes.

Not from UK uni btw, but did consider just applying there anyway.

Anyway let's leave it at this. Feel free to disagree, I'm just pointing out that post tax UK salary is ridiculous for the prestige that London firms have as compared to local firms. That's all. I have no incentives to prove or disprove anything. Thanks.

Unregistered 03-12-2021 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192290)
am looking for in-house roles

any recruiters to recommend? thanks!

linus choo is pretty solid

Unregistered 03-12-2021 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192425)

Linus is good.

Unregistered 03-12-2021 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192424)
Anyway let's leave it at this. Feel free to disagree, I'm just pointing out that post tax UK salary is ridiculous for the prestige that London firms have as compared to local firms. That's all. I have no incentives to prove or disprove anything. Thanks.

Just some back-of-envelope calculations.

NQ pay at a MC firm is around 100k a year. Using s://.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/salary.php, take home is then around £5,500 a month (SGD 9,000 or so).

Apparently A&G pays 7,000 SGD gross for their NQs?

So you can afford to pay 2,000 SGD in rent as a UK NQ, and still have your NET pay be higher in the UK than the gross pay.

And this is not even taking into account that UK trainees are paid at 45-50£ a year during their TC, while SG trainees get peanuts (or the different stages of the legal supply chain that Singapore firms and international firms sit).

Unregistered 03-12-2021 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192425)

But he never give any extras that the others give lei.

Unregistered 03-12-2021 10:10 PM

So how do i get from SG to NY???

Unregistered 03-12-2021 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192433)
Just some back-of-envelope calculations.

NQ pay at a MC firm is around 100k a year. Using s://.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/salary.php, take home is then around £5,500 a month (SGD 9,000 or so).

Apparently A&G pays 7,000 SGD gross for their NQs?

So you can afford to pay 2,000 SGD in rent as a UK NQ, and still have your NET pay be higher in the UK than the gross pay.

And this is not even taking into account that UK trainees are paid at 45-50£ a year during their TC, while SG trainees get peanuts (or the different stages of the legal supply chain that Singapore firms and international firms sit).

Yup. Guess UK TC wins but the tax is a killer (how do you even get a banded rate of up to 40%?) I am absolutely appalled at their high income tax. NQ to NQ, the present Part B + PTC means it is one year. UK TC/SQE 2 years, LPC is one year full time. That's 3 years (correct me if I'm wrong).

So properly computed, Part B + PTC (1Y) = 2 Year SQE + 1 year LPC. SG NQ takes 1 year, UK takes 3 years hence UK NQ = 2 PQE for SG.

This *might* change in future. Who knows.

Unregistered 03-12-2021 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192442)
Yup. Guess UK TC wins but the tax is a killer (how do you even get a banded rate of up to 40%?) I am absolutely appalled at their high income tax. NQ to NQ, the present Part B + PTC means it is one year. UK TC/SQE 2 years, LPC is one year full time. That's 3 years (correct me if I'm wrong).

So properly computed, Part B + PTC (1Y) = 2 Year SQE + 1 year LPC. SG NQ takes 1 year, UK takes 3 years hence UK NQ = 2 PQE for SG.

UK NQ seems now comparable to some of the top SG local rates post-tax.

I think London firms should move up their pay to cover rent and tax at least for foreign hires. Then again, if rent were an issue, it might be less competitive to hire a foreigner as opposed to a Londoner.

Unregistered 03-12-2021 11:11 PM

You all sleep under your desks? No need pay for mortgage? Work in UK need place to stay, work in SG don't need?

Unregistered 04-12-2021 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192444)
UK NQ seems now comparable to some of the top SG local rates post-tax.

I think London firms should move up their pay to cover rent and tax at least for foreign hires. Then again, if rent were an issue, it might be less competitive to hire a foreigner as opposed to a Londoner.

I think Singapore companies should move up their pay to cover rent and tax at least for CECA hires.

Some of yall just stealing oxygen from the rest of us, seriously

Unregistered 04-12-2021 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192442)

LPC if remember correctly has accelerated version if you're sponsored by your firm. 7 months start to finish, full time, fail anything you lose your TC.