Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 04-12-2021 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192440)
So how do i get from SG to NY???

Just work in any transactional team and apply lol. They are desperate for associates right now.

Unregistered 04-12-2021 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192461)
LPC if remember correctly has accelerated version if you're sponsored by your firm. 7 months start to finish, full time, fail anything you lose your TC.

No only Slaughter and May does that. My firm had people who failed modules and they just retook during their TC.

Unregistered 04-12-2021 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192467)
Just work in any transactional team and apply lol. They are desperate for associates right now.

Really?? Do they usually not require a JD? And called to NY bar??

Unregistered 04-12-2021 04:09 PM

It wouldn’t hurt to let people who fail a bar exam subject take it again in another year. Rather than making bar exams more difficult, a better option would be to mark on a bell curve and only allow 50% to pass each year. The remainder will just have to retake it in another year. In the interim, they should be made a legal exec in firms rather than an associate

Unregistered 04-12-2021 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192471)
Really?? Do they usually not require a JD? And called to NY bar??

They take Canadians and Australians - why would they treat Singaporeans differently?

You take the bar after you’ve started working

Unregistered 04-12-2021 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192502)
They take Canadians and Australians - why would they treat Singaporeans differently?

You take the bar after you’ve started working

Number 1 - Canadian lawyers have JDs, like US lawyers. It is the general perception that a JD lawyer is better than an LLB lawyer, since JD is regarded as a post-grad professional degree in the Anglo American world.

Number 2 - the global economy of high finance and transaction is still very much a white man's world. It is just the reality that someone from the OECD economies of Canada or Australia, will be preferred over someone from Singapore, even if they're theoretically equally qualified and/or experienced.

This is the harsh reality of life. and no I'm not a racial equality SJW.

Unregistered 04-12-2021 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192505)
Number 1 - Canadian lawyers have JDs, like US lawyers. It is the general perception that a JD lawyer is better than an LLB lawyer, since JD is regarded as a post-grad professional degree in the Anglo American world.

Number 2 - the global economy of high finance and transaction is still very much a white man's world. It is just the reality that someone from the OECD economies of Canada or Australia, will be preferred over someone from Singapore, even if they're theoretically equally qualified and/or experienced.

Ooof. Someone hasn't actually worked in an international firm before I see and likes to talk purely based on his own prejudices

Unregistered 04-12-2021 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192499)
It wouldn’t hurt to let people who fail a bar exam subject take it again in another year. Rather than making bar exams more difficult, a better option would be to mark on a bell curve and only allow 50% to pass each year. The remainder will just have to retake it in another year. In the interim, they should be made a legal exec in firms rather than an associate

So you're saying they should fail people who would otherwise be qualified just to keep numbers low? U okay?

Unregistered 04-12-2021 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192513)
So you're saying they should fail people who would otherwise be qualified just to keep numbers low? U okay?

When the bar exams become more difficult, X% of people would fail anyway.
Rather than make it difficult which really increases the stress level for everyone, marking it on a bell curve to allow (100-X)% of people to pass makes the most sense

Unregistered 04-12-2021 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192512)
Ooof. Someone hasn't actually worked in an international firm before I see and likes to talk purely based on his own prejudices

Well it's very different in an international firm in UK/US versus an international firm in Singapore...you should be clear.

Unregistered 04-12-2021 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192515)
When the bar exams become more difficult, X% of people would fail anyway.
Rather than make it difficult which really increases the stress level for everyone, marking it on a bell curve to allow (100-X)% of people to pass makes the most sense

Honestly, how is your suggestion any different from the soon-to-be implemented scheme?

A Rose by any other name is still a Rose. Sh*t by any other name is still Sh*t.

It's like how the Part A bar exam consistently fails the bottom 30-40% each year. If the bar examiners think too many people failed, they can just adjust the pass mark (which they have done).

You can call it a bell curve or making the bar "stricter", the end result is that the predetermined % of people will pass anyway.

Ipso Facto, they aren't going to keep to a 50/100 pass mark if 90% of the people fail.

Your suggestion will make no practical difference. In fact, making the exam harder, while not officially limiting the number of passes, makes people more inclined to band together and help each other pass. On the other hand, your suggestion makes it "harder" for everyone, who will perceive their classmates as enemies they must kick down to maintain the bell curve. Knowing that they need to "beat" 50% of the students will likely make everyone even more stressed, and push the passing mark higher than it currently is.

And a particular gifted year will find itself having a particularly high passing mark. Imagine passing on 30/100 because you had stupid year-mates, only to find that the next batch had to attain 80/100.

Unregistered 05-12-2021 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192467)

I haven't seen anyone moving to NYC from here. Is that common?

Unregistered 05-12-2021 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192555)

Take any top 20 US uni llm and you can generally move over. You may not get a white shoe unless you take a top 6 uni though lol.

Unregistered 05-12-2021 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192555)

It's not common at all simply because there is more to life than a salary. There are quite a few SG-based associates who receive offers to practise in London or NY but don't take it simply because they dont want to uproot their entire lives to move to a foreign city where they dont know anyone. The occasional associate does do so, but usually does so temporarily as a CV boost or it's because they've always wanted to work overseas.

Hong Kong is more common because (1) it's more culturally similar to SG and (2) it's closer so it doesn't feel as large of a move.

Unregistered 05-12-2021 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192548)
Honestly, how is your suggestion any different from the soon-to-be implemented scheme?

A Rose by any other name is still a Rose. Sh*t by any other name is still Sh*t.

It's like how the Part A bar exam consistently fails the bottom 30-40% each year. If the bar examiners think too many people failed, they can just adjust the pass mark (which they have done).

You can call it a bell curve or making the bar "stricter", the end result is that the predetermined % of people will pass anyway.

Ipso Facto, they aren't going to keep to a 50/100 pass mark if 90% of the people fail.

Your suggestion will make no practical difference. In fact, making the exam harder, while not officially limiting the number of passes, makes people more inclined to band together and help each other pass. On the other hand, your suggestion makes it "harder" for everyone, who will perceive their classmates as enemies they must kick down to maintain the bell curve. Knowing that they need to "beat" 50% of the students will likely make everyone even more stressed, and push the passing mark higher than it currently is.

And a particular gifted year will find itself having a particularly high passing mark. Imagine passing on 30/100 because you had stupid year-mates, only to find that the next batch had to attain 80/100.

Are you a foreign grad? NUS and SMU already mark on bell-curve so what you talking??

Unregistered 05-12-2021 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192562)
Are you a foreign grad? NUS and SMU already mark on bell-curve so what you talking??

Obv the poster is a foreign grad. Spent 3 years of their lives coasting on easy peasy UK law curriculum that's taught like an arts and humans degrees. Doesn't understand what grading on a curve is. Suddenly shocked that law actually requires you to put in some intellectual hard work to pass.

Meanwhile NUS and SMU students alr slogging it out in hunger games against their batchmates for the past 4 years.

Unregistered 05-12-2021 12:13 PM

NUS law > SMU law

Unregistered 05-12-2021 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192574)
Obv the poster is a foreign grad. Spent 3 years of their lives coasting on easy peasy UK law curriculum that's taught like an arts and humans degrees. Doesn't understand what grading on a curve is. Suddenly shocked that law actually requires you to put in some intellectual hard work to pass.

Meanwhile NUS and SMU students alr slogging it out in hunger games against their batchmates for the past 4 years.

Exactly… it’s squid game for 4 years except when you go on exchange…

Unregistered 05-12-2021 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192575)
NUS law > SMU law

I second this.

Unregistered 05-12-2021 12:35 PM

Are you all trying to imply that art/humanities degrees are inferior? Who do you think you are?

Unregistered 05-12-2021 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192583)
Are you all trying to imply that art/humanities degrees are inferior? Who do you think you are?

Pragmatic Asian people.

Unregistered 05-12-2021 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192583)

Yes, I took 2 FASS modules as part of the 3 allowable non-law modules back in my day as an NUS law student. Spent 1 afternoon studying for one and 1.5 days studying for the other prior to the final papers. Half the time was literally just organizing my study notes into a logical flow.

Got A and A- for both. Literally the easiest 2 subjects I did in my 4 years.

Unregistered 05-12-2021 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192581)
I second this.

I second lower this

Unregistered 05-12-2021 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192590)
Yes, I took 2 FASS modules as part of the 3 allowable non-law modules back in my day as an NUS law student. Spent 1 afternoon studying for one and 1.5 days studying for the other prior to the final papers. Half the time was literally just organizing my study notes into a logical flow.

Got A and A- for both. Literally the easiest 2 subjects I did in my 4 years.

Yeah stop it, 5 char, you're not good I got A+ for both

Unregistered 05-12-2021 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192574)

I'm from delisted. My FCH was terribly easy, I got to eat in Battersea and my prospects are better than NUS.

Unregistered 05-12-2021 05:01 PM

Nus pride

NUS rank 11 in world hokay!

Delisted Leeds rank 91 sia

SMU rank 511

NUS FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NUS 2:2 FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unregistered 05-12-2021 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192604)
NUS rank 11 in world hokay!

Delisted Leeds rank 91 sia

SMU rank 511

NUS FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NUS 2:2 FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry guys I forgot to bow down

Unregistered 05-12-2021 06:35 PM

Classic clueless Singaporeans going on and on about universities and academic rigour. Grow up and move on. Outside of appeal cases how much academic skill is there in practice.

Take a look at uk and us forums and the level of discussion they are having about work and comp - don’t be a kumgong and xiasuay sinkie.

If you think you’re underpaid - ask and look at genuine responses. Want to move to international firms - ask which pay real international rates.

If you don’t want to be a partner move to international and grind your youth away for upper middle class income before going in house or changing industries.

If you are gunning for partnership, build your network and stay in a local firm for the best bet to that sweet equity.

Unregistered 05-12-2021 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192562)

Are you an idiot?

I was literally just stating how the prior poster's suggestion of a fixed % failure rate is fundamentally similar to the current system in Part A, and soon-to-be Part B, which is a bell-curve. The "increased difficulty" of Part B shouldn't scare the OP (or are you the OP) since the markers have likely been informed to at least pass x%.

However, his suggestion of a strict 50% pass rate (instead of a malleable bell-curve) means that people who would otherwise pass in one year would fail in another, and vice-versa, with the effect that competition against your Part B batchmates becomes super-pronounced.

Instead of everyone trying to help each other to pass a "difficult" exam, you will have assholes (much like yourself) saying that it's a dog-eat-dog world like in NUS/SMU. People will start mugging like crazy for Part B and pushing the pass rate super high, which is antithetic to his stated aim of making Part B "easier" by keeping the exam simple and having a strict % failure rate.

His suggestion of a 50%-failure rate instead of the likely "hidden" Part A/B bellcurve with the "increased difficulty" of Part B just makes people less likely to cooperate and help each other for Part B.

Unregistered 05-12-2021 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192595)
I'm from delisted. My FCH was terribly easy, I got to eat in Battersea and my prospects are better than NUS.

Strangely enough, if you search battersea law, you'll see that Baker Mackenzie W&L paid google to make them one of the first links.

Unregistered 05-12-2021 07:41 PM

[QUOTE=Unregistered;192609]Classic clueless Singaporeans going on and on about universities and academic rigour. Grow up and move on. Outside of appeal cases how much academic skill is there in practice.

If you don’t want to be a partner move to international and grind your youth away for upper middle class income before going in house or changing industries.

Do you mean to grind it till a certain point before changing industries? I thought its better to change industries from the beginning since need to start all over

Unregistered 06-12-2021 12:07 AM

Does anyone know what’s the average pay in tech MNC as in-house for a 5 pqe?

Unregistered 06-12-2021 01:05 AM

Is this correct? Any updates?

A&G-7.5 (2022)
R&T-6.1 (Dec 2021)
WP-6 (2021)
Drew-6 (2021)
BWL-8.5 (2021)
TSMP-7 (2021)

Unregistered 06-12-2021 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192556)
Take any top 20 US uni llm and you can generally move over. You may not get a white shoe unless you take a top 6 uni though lol.

This guy obviously does not know what he is talking about. US big law firms do not "generally" take llms....

Unregistered 06-12-2021 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192505)

My firm (in London, as English as they come) just took two Aussie associates as laterals, both of whom are Chinese Australian and did LLBs, so not sure what you are going on about.

Unregistered 06-12-2021 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192663)
Is this correct? Any updates?

A&G-7.5 (2022)
R&T-6.1 (Dec 2021)
WP-6 (2021)
Drew-6 (2021)
BWL-8.5 (2021)
TSMP-7 (2021)

I believe TSMP’s 7 only applies to its core corp NQs but I stand to be corrected. The rest looks right tho

Unregistered 06-12-2021 09:27 AM

So BMWL reverts to its rightful spot as top top tier firm. Suck it B4s!

Unregistered 06-12-2021 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192668)
My firm (in London, as English as they come) just took two Aussie associates as laterals, both of whom are Chinese Australian and did LLBs, so not sure what you are going on about.

Read properly - it says "someone from the OECD economies of Canada or Australia, will be preferred over someone from Singapore, even if they're theoretically equally qualified and/or experienced"

It isn't a race thing as people seem to be interpreting wrongly. No wonder Singaporeans keep racializing all issues.

It is mostly a country thing. There's a pecking order of countries from which candidates are preferred, and a candidate from an advanced First World / OECD economy would always be preferred over a non OECD economy from the global south. It so happens that the aforesaid countries are historically, and remain presently, majority white countries.

Canada and Australia have better claims than Singapore of being a First World advanced economy.

Again, it is not a race thing. An average British-born-Indian grad will be perceived as a preferred hire in a US/UK firm over an average India-born-Indian grad. Same with Chinese - An Australian-born-Chinese grad will be a preferred hire over a Singapore-Chinese or HK-Chinese grad.

We r talking about working in the HQs of major international law firms in NY and London. We're not talking about working in their outposts in Asia, where of course they're prepared to hire lots of local lawyers from whatever jurisdiction they set up shop in.

Unregistered 06-12-2021 09:43 AM

Which firms in SG pay cravath rates for M&A? Does it also include annual bonus and special bonus?

I'm SG citizen but graduated from American university. Now looking to return.

Unregistered 06-12-2021 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 192671)
So BMWL reverts to its rightful spot as top top tier firm. Suck it B4s!

Baker TC is the same prestige as JLC.
One 6 months the other one 2 years.