Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Civil/Public Sector - Ministry/Stat Boards employees knowledge needed! (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/4955-civil-public-sector-ministry-stat-boards-employees-knowledge-needed.html)

Unregistered 14-06-2016 11:27 PM

If I apply to another stat board, do they share information among themselves?

Unregistered 16-06-2016 08:42 PM

Is it true that in the civil service and public service, all staffs have to suggest KPIs on top of their main job responsibilities during appraisal, and the KPIs keep increasing every year?

Unregistered 16-06-2016 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splitfirz (Post 86975)
Hi, what's the starting pay and career progression like for Spring Singapore?
Also, do they differentiate betwwen first class and second upper? Thanks in advance!

curious as well. anybody?

Unregistered 16-06-2016 10:55 PM

Help me! Coming 3 weeks as a civil serpent but i am not doing anything. Everyday, i just sit in front of my desk pretending to be busy. My direct supervisor is a non-degree holder and she doesn't even know what to do. All the shitty training programmes are just for show and nobody is following the schedules. Then comes my performance review and what am i suppose to write? Zhuo Bo for the last 6 months?

What should i do? Tell her boss? Tell the director? or complain to the CE? Damn ****.

Unregistered 18-06-2016 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 87298)
Help me! Coming 3 weeks as a civil serpent but i am not doing anything. Everyday, i just sit in front of my desk pretending to be busy. My direct supervisor is a non-degree holder and she doesn't even know what to do. All the shitty training programmes are just for show and nobody is following the schedules. Then comes my performance review and what am i suppose to write? Zhuo Bo for the last 6 months?

What should i do? Tell her boss? Tell the director? or complain to the CE? Damn ****.

What is your role? your direct sup got describe the role to u during the interviews?

too much things to do, complain. nth to do oso complain. jk.

Just feedback to ur direct supervisor's boss.

Unregistered 18-06-2016 10:18 AM

Difference between ministries and stat boards

What's the differences between ministries and stat boards?

Between ministries and stat boards, which one has better work-life balance for working mothers?

I keep hearing conflicting stories from people who said public sector has good work-life balance. But some report that they are working 60 hours workweeks.

Unregistered 18-06-2016 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 87354)
What is your role? your direct sup got describe the role to u during the interviews?

too much things to do, complain. nth to do oso complain. jk.

Just feedback to ur direct supervisor's boss.

difficult leh, they are very good friends for XX years. They were not the one who interviewed me. I have an overall idea of what they are doing, just that my supervisor don't have good leadership skills. They were promoted when the govt announced to merge the non-graduate and graduate schemes together. Suddenly non-graduate officer became a degree holder's officer supervisor. What a joke..lol.

Unregistered 19-06-2016 12:48 AM

what is the 'default' CEP for fresh local u grads with

1st class -

2nd upper -

2nd lower -

3rd class -

pass (merit) -

pass -

Unregistered 20-06-2016 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 87165)
If I apply to another stat board, do they share information among themselves?

Some general information is shared between the gov agencies. For example, your PB grade will be shared. I knew a guy who got an E grade, and left the service. A few years later, when he tried to applied to other gov agencies, he found out he was blacklisted. That E grade he got followed him forever. He can't be a civil servant ever again.

Unregistered 20-06-2016 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 87357)
What's the differences between ministries and stat boards?

Between ministries and stat boards, which one has better work-life balance for working mothers?

I keep hearing conflicting stories from people who said public sector has good work-life balance. But some report that they are working 60 hours workweeks.

Like every office, there are the lazy and ambitious.

The lazy will work at the minimum and have some level of work life balance. The price is slow promotions and having younger coworkers promote over you and becoming your boss. If you are able to stomach that, there will be work life balance.

The ambitious are the ones who work ever on weekends. That was how they can clock 60 hour work week. Higher chance of good PB and promotions.

This is why there are conflicting stories. You need to ask yourself, what do you want? If its work life balance you are looking for, let me warn you, you will not promote fast. You need to come to terms with that.

Unregistered 20-06-2016 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 87030)
Would anyone share their experience in jumping from stat board to ministry? It is tough? and any other things that I need to take note of?

Its more dependent on vacancy. You can try to applied and express your interest. I knew a guy who applied when there was no vacancy. The ministry kept his request and a year later, they called him up when a vacancy opened up. Do take note that your current boss will know about it. If you are trying to transfer quietly and suddenly, this method is not it.

Unregistered 20-06-2016 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 87443)
Like every office, there are the lazy and ambitious.

The lazy will work at the minimum and have some level of work life balance. The price is slow promotions and having younger coworkers promote over you and becoming your boss. If you are able to stomach that, there will be work life balance.

The ambitious are the ones who work ever on weekends. That was how they can clock 60 hour work week. Higher chance of good PB and promotions.

This is why there are conflicting stories. You need to ask yourself, what do you want? If its work life balance you are looking for, let me warn you, you will not promote fast. You need to come to terms with that.

Kind of surprised that people are actually given the choice to be hardworking or lazy. I ever heard of directors replying to emails at 2am in the morning or weekend 10pm, civil service no less. And there are many people who believe that civil service is a retirement place.

Won't the bosses come down hard on those who are less hard striving than they are? Every year there's an appraisal, and the staff is grilled on his or her KPIs, isn't it?

Unregistered 20-06-2016 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 87447)
Kind of surprised that people are actually given the choice to be hardworking or lazy. I ever heard of directors replying to emails at 2am in the morning or weekend 10pm, civil service no less. And there are many people who believe that civil service is a retirement place.

Won't the bosses come down hard on those who are less hard striving than they are? Every year there's an appraisal, and the staff is grilled on his or her KPIs, isn't it?

Civil service culture is distinct in 2 groups between 10% scholars/hi-po and 90% rest of the "farmers". The Directors won't come down too hard as this is an accepted reality, going all out to whack your lower levels might end up worse as they gang up to resist and result in missing own department KPIs.

In reality, it is so hard to fire a civil servant that even if the person cmi, as long as he has no discipline issues, there is nothing the Director can do. Most scholars/hi-po will just concentrate on meeting KPI and move on in their careers after staying a few years in the position then bother to get into trench warfare with the majority.

Unregistered 20-06-2016 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 87447)

Every organisation will have its share of slackers, who will do just the minimum. The bosses are not everywhere and they can't police all the workflow. All the lazy have to do is maintain the current processes, make sure nothing bad happens, and they can easily pass the time away. I am not just speaking about Civil service, this is also happening at private sector. That is why they will meet their KPIs but not beyond it. As for directors replying at 2am, that is exactly my point. These are the workaholics that will be promoted fast, and that is the level of intensity the competition is at the civil service. Don't expect fast promotions if you want work life balance. You are not going to be able to work at that level of intensity. Why I warn about coming to terms with this is because I saw how it ate at some of my colleagues. They couldn't or wouldn't put in the hours and when younger people with half their seniority could promoted over them. They get very bitter.

Unregistered 20-06-2016 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 87467)
Every organisation will have its share of slackers, who will do just the minimum. The bosses are not everywhere and they can't police all the workflow. All the lazy have to do is maintain the current processes, make sure nothing bad happens, and they can easily pass the time away. I am not just speaking about Civil service, this is also happening at private sector. That is why they will meet their KPIs but not beyond it. As for directors replying at 2am, that is exactly my point. These are the workaholics that will be promoted fast, and that is the level of intensity the competition is at the civil service. Don't expect fast promotions if you want work life balance. You are not going to be able to work at that level of intensity. Why I warn about coming to terms with this is because I saw how it ate at some of my colleagues. They couldn't or wouldn't put in the hours and when younger people with half their seniority could promoted over them. They get very bitter.

Not really. I find the most bitter ones are actually those who really worked hard with long hours and stress hoping that their CEP will be upgraded. But in reality in government if you are not a scholar, even if you really give your all out, the best is probably some sort of Senior/Director position in their late 40s or early 50s. In fact many end up at DD or SDD level.

This group IMO is the most bitter, much more than the slacker long timers who more or less accepted they would never progress far. I suppose they do have a point because they are somewhat "conned" into doing the grunt work in their younger days and yet will never be a CE or PS. But over the years they would have gotten good performance bonus and MX8/7 pay is actually already quite decent, so I don't think their grievances are 100% justified also.

Unregistered 20-06-2016 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 87441)
Some general information is shared between the gov agencies. For example, your PB grade will be shared. I knew a guy who got an E grade, and left the service. A few years later, when he tried to applied to other gov agencies, he found out he was blacklisted. That E grade he got followed him forever. He can't be a civil servant ever again.

Hi bro how did he found out he was blacklisted? Also what about min-stats board and vice versa? Are the sharing more or less as intense? Thanks.

Unregistered 20-06-2016 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 87468)
Not really. I find the most bitter ones are actually those who really worked hard with long hours and stress hoping that their CEP will be upgraded. But in reality in government if you are not a scholar, even if you really give your all out, the best is probably some sort of Senior/Director position in their late 40s or early 50s. In fact many end up at DD or SDD level.

This group IMO is the most bitter, much more than the slacker long timers who more or less accepted they would never progress far. I suppose they do have a point because they are somewhat "conned" into doing the grunt work in their younger days and yet will never be a CE or PS. But over the years they would have gotten good performance bonus and MX8/7 pay is actually already quite decent, so I don't think their grievances are 100% justified also.

its all about expectations end of the day. those who compare themselves to average singaporean if ur already making 350k to 400k as a civil servant director really nothing more to complain. those who keep thinking they deserve pte sector ceo or investment banker pay of course will just get more bitter and envious over time. greed is endless one.

Unregistered 21-06-2016 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 87444)
Its more dependent on vacancy. You can try to applied and express your interest. I knew a guy who applied when there was no vacancy. The ministry kept his request and a year later, they called him up when a vacancy opened up. Do take note that your current boss will know about it. If you are trying to transfer quietly and suddenly, this method is not it.

You are wrong, boss wont know u go interview until the day you are accepted by the new agency and they initiate a transfer. When they initiate the transfer will than your boss know u actually wanna siam, but this only applies if u ministry to ministry transfer, if u go from ministry to stat board, than u need to resign.

Unregistered 08-07-2016 07:30 PM

Working in EDB

Anyone works in EDB? Normally what is the typical working hours in EDB? till how late?

Unregistered 09-07-2016 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 87467)

Don't think they would be bitter lah. In CS PS as they always like to say, wait long enough and it will be your turn, isn't it? The ones who chiong fancy themselves to be some high flyer when in reality the CEP is a fixed target.

Unregistered 10-07-2016 08:43 AM

CEP not high enough for promotion

Scholars who are not the top scholars also have problems with CEP. I am a good performer (regularly top 30% every year). Its not easy as u get promoted higher and higher to always be top 30% but I did it. I slog past the 42h required every week, often putting in >50h per week.

Then this year, some of my peers got a promotion but I didn't. Not enough 'years in grade', said HR :( It cannot be my performance some it has to be the bloody CEP.

I am deeply pissed, as well as turning bitter. Where is the transparency? Who set my CEP? When was my CEP set? Why CEP cannot change?

But I recall that my salary more than triped over 10 years and the large bonuses I get for being top 30% (4.5 to 5 months every year excluding the 13th month). Then, I decide to either stay in the game, or quit and risk finding lower pay and/or same problems somewhere else. I am slightly less bitter after one week of sulking over my predicament.

Unregistered 10-07-2016 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 88334)
Scholars who are not the top scholars also have problems with CEP. I am a good performer (regularly top 30% every year). Its not easy as u get promoted higher and higher to always be top 30% but I did it. I slog past the 42h required every week, often putting in >50h per week.

Then this year, some of my peers got a promotion but I didn't. Not enough 'years in grade', said HR :( It cannot be my performance some it has to be the bloody CEP.

I am deeply pissed, as well as turning bitter. Where is the transparency? Who set my CEP? When was my CEP set? Why CEP cannot change?

But I recall that my salary more than triped over 10 years and the large bonuses I get for being top 30% (4.5 to 5 months every year excluding the 13th month). Then, I decide to either stay in the game, or quit and risk finding lower pay and/or same problems somewhere else. I am slightly less bitter after one week of sulking over my predicament.

How did you not know anything about cep after 10 years in the service?

Unregistered 10-07-2016 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 88335)
How did you not know anything about cep after 10 years in the service?

so your salary is 8.5k-9.5k now??

Unregistered 10-07-2016 12:17 PM

Quote:

Bro, I'm was in a similar boat as you. Gotten As and Bs for dunno how long already still not promoted. HR also gave the ******** answer about not having enough years in service. All things being equal, they will promote the older guy with a mouths to feed. Sometimes, even when the younger guy is better, they will still promote the older guy with a family.

In the end, I left the dept and went to another where talent is more appreciated (yes, there are still places like that, though quite rare in CS and not easy to get in). Now, I see peers of my age who are my bosses (non-scholars) and that gives me hope.

Leave when talent is not appreciated. It's the dept's loss, not yours.

Unregistered 10-07-2016 12:42 PM

Quote:

LOL, working 50+ hr work week is supposed to be very "slog". Only top 30% a.k.a. above average to good performance and triple salary in 10 years is "not enough".

Amazing what counts as hard work in civil service and the sort of unrealistic salary expectations they have.

Unregistered 10-07-2016 12:46 PM

Quote:

How many years of working experience? For working so hard, may I know how much you getting every year now?

Unregistered 10-07-2016 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 88343)
LOL, working 50+ hr work week is supposed to be very "slog". Only top 30% a.k.a. above average to good performance and triple salary in 10 years is "not enough".

Amazing what counts as hard work in civil service and the sort of unrealistic salary expectations they have.

Not suprising. I have friends in public sector whole career lepak 1 corner work life balance and got cheek to complain their annual package of 200k+ is underpaid. No wonder so many of our top grads are joining paper pushing jobs in the gov.

Unregistered 10-07-2016 01:33 PM

Jumping from stat board to another govt agency

Hi all, I'm currently working in a stat board for 6 months and felt that the job scope was not what I signed up for.

I'm intending to apply for another job in other govt agency through career@gov. Anyone knows if my current organization's HR will be notified on this?

Unregistered 10-07-2016 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 88345)
Not suprising. I have friends in public sector whole career lepak 1 corner work life balance and got cheek to complain their annual package of 200k+ is underpaid. No wonder so many of our top grads are joining paper pushing jobs in the gov.

then u join their role and ask for 100k pay and work more hours than them lo. spoil the market. demand/supply.

Unregistered 10-07-2016 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 88348)
then u join their role and ask for 100k pay and work more hours than them lo. spoil the market. demand/supply.

how to get in when nobody want to leave? who will be dumb enough to leave a 200k do nothing job? almost nobody leave the moment they hit AD or above level.

Unregistered 12-07-2016 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 88354)
how to get in when nobody want to leave? who will be dumb enough to leave a 200k do nothing job? almost nobody leave the moment they hit AD or above level.

my CS here paid 8k every month to do a O level job. I only paid half so i give sec 2 standard..

Unregistered 12-07-2016 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 88347)
Hi all, I'm currently working in a stat board for 6 months and felt that the job scope was not what I signed up for.

I'm intending to apply for another job in other govt agency through career@gov. Anyone knows if my current organization's HR will be notified on this?

lol i was in your shoes a few months back. forget it la, other agencies wont call u up one... hang on for another year to hit the magic 18 mths

Unregistered 14-07-2016 02:21 PM

What are the chances of an applicant with BA merit and a Masters (not relevant to job) and already in the civil service getting shortlisted for a position that's asking for Honours (not specified which area)?

Unregistered 14-07-2016 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 88425)
lol i was in your shoes a few months back. forget it la, other agencies wont call u up one... hang on for another year to hit the magic 18 mths

Hi bro are you saying that theres kind of like an unspoken rule that they will not enterain job applications for public servants still in servce ?

Unregistered 111 14-07-2016 08:36 PM

Hi
First time switching job and intend to apply CS. Have a qn regarding salary.
When should expected salary be mentioned and to who?

If to the interviewer who is likely the supervisor/boss, then wouldnt they know your salary already? And then such info will spread via coffee breaks and potentially whole department knows the new hire's salary?

Or is it to hr only, and hr will convey to interviewer? In any case it will still spread through the department isnt it

Unregistered 14-07-2016 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered 111 (Post 88494)
Hi
First time switching job and intend to apply CS. Have a qn regarding salary.
When should expected salary be mentioned and to who?

If to the interviewer who is likely the supervisor/boss, then wouldnt they know your salary already? And then such info will spread via coffee breaks and potentially whole department knows the new hire's salary?

Or is it to hr only, and hr will convey to interviewer? In any case it will still spread through the department isnt it

when you fill in ur application form on career@gov. ur expected can be seen by the hr and interviewers.

and ppl not so boliao go spread other ppl's pay... atleast thats not the case at my side. in any case, pay wont differ much among those on the same scheme, similar years of exp and grade.... no need ask also roughly know how much your pay is.

Pooty 20-07-2016 10:45 PM

??

I am into my new job for 1 month plus. The job isnt what I sign up for. Currently, working in stat board. Can I indicate in Careers@ gov that I am jobless or should I be truthful and inform them that I currently have a job in my job application? Is it true that most agencies wont consider your application if you join a new company within 6 months?
I have 5 years of employment before I am into this new job.

Unregistered 21-07-2016 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pooty (Post 88684)
I am into my new job for 1 month plus. The job isnt what I sign up for. Currently, working in stat board. Can I indicate in Careers@ gov that I am jobless or should I be truthful and inform them that I currently have a job in my job application? Is it true that most agencies wont consider your application if you join a new company within 6 months?
I have 5 years of employment before I am into this new job.

It is very easy for your new employers to call up and check. Not to mention your records will be in SGDI. Integrity is one of the key values in the public service, so I will suggest to be truthful.

It is not true that all agencies won't consider your application. Just apply and try.

Unregistered 21-07-2016 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 88490)
Hi bro are you saying that theres kind of like an unspoken rule that they will not enterain job applications for public servants still in servce ?

Hi can anyone advise me on this pleasE? Thank you

Unregistered 22-07-2016 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 88713)
Hi can anyone advise me on this pleasE? Thank you

Obviously not true. Else how can people in the service job hopped around different agencies? You always see the peak during May - Jun and Aug - Sep period where people resign/second/transfer to join new agencies.

Word of caution. If you do apply for jobs (within the Public Service) while still in current place (also within Public Service), it is possible that they will contact the HR of your current place. And naturally, the HR will contact your boss. Especially true if you've went through the interviews and they are considering you. Not always, but may happen. So it may be polite to tell your current boss you are considering elsewhere.