Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Civil/Public Sector - Ministry/Stat Boards employees knowledge needed! (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/4955-civil-public-sector-ministry-stat-boards-employees-knowledge-needed.html)

Unregistered 05-02-2016 02:21 PM

Going for a written test at one of the ministries. Has anyone been for something similar and care to share the topic you were given?

Unregistered 05-02-2016 05:57 PM

No one knows what is the pay scale and promotion rates for poly garda in CS ere?

Unregistered 05-02-2016 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79363)
Going for a written test at one of the ministries. Has anyone been for something similar and care to share the topic you were given?

lol seriously...? u r not expecting differently ministries to ask the same topic right? even within ministries, different department will ask different topic.

Unregistered 05-02-2016 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79387)
lol seriously...? u r not expecting differently ministries to ask the same topic right? even within ministries, different department will ask different topic.

Yeah I know it is different but just want to get a gauge of the kind of question they ask.
Understand it is more current affairs style but thats quite broad.

Im from the private sector so it has been ages since Ive written an essay so Im a bit worried.

Unregistered 05-02-2016 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79388)
Yeah I know it is different but just want to get a gauge of the kind of question they ask.
Understand it is more current affairs style but thats quite broad.

Im from the private sector so it has been ages since Ive written an essay so Im a bit worried.

Usually it's very much related to the job u applied. Speaking from my experience in a ministry interview. They gave me a scenario based question related to the role I'm applying against n ask what will I do in the case.

Basically they wanted to see if I think the way they needed, n at the same time take the opportunity to see if I could draft a proper paper. I think people in ministries all need to know how to write paper. That's like a core part of the job.

Unregistered 06-02-2016 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79393)
Usually it's very much related to the job u applied. Speaking from my experience in a ministry interview. They gave me a scenario based question related to the role I'm applying against n ask what will I do in the case.

Basically they wanted to see if I think the way they needed, n at the same time take the opportunity to see if I could draft a proper paper. I think people in ministries all need to know how to write paper. That's like a core part of the job.

Also be prepared for a 2 part essay or written test where one of them asks how you see yourself and nature of work aligning to the vision and Mission of the Organisation.

Unregistered 06-02-2016 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79202)
Thanks for the reply. Will they be able to find that out though?

The company is undergoing reorg and my position was unstable. I told the truth to the stat board, but said I found a more well paying job during the exit interview to not sound like jumping off a sinking ship.

I think your reasons for leaving are valid.

If you've informed your prospective employer you gave a "different" reason to your last employer that would be better (to avoid any reason for them to strike you off). But I don't suppose you did?

There may be a possibility they will check on the reason for leaving. And if they find it different from what's been said in the interview, then I Guess it's up to them to determine any reason why (and they may call to clarify with you).

The last part is just a possibility. But just to add that within the public service, one of the qualities expected is "integrity".

Unregistered 06-02-2016 06:51 PM

Thanks to the above two who responded regarding the essay test! Great help!

Unregistered 10-02-2016 04:00 PM

IT jobs in public sector

Are IT jobs in public sector focused on project management, procurement and managing vendors to deliver services and products?

For an IT personnel keen on a technical career track doing implementation and development, are civil service, stat boards and public sector organisations suitable places to look for such jobs? Or should look at jobs in systems integrator instead?

Unregistered 11-02-2016 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79590)
Are IT jobs in public sector focused on project management, procurement and managing vendors to deliver services and products?

For an IT personnel keen on a technical career track doing implementation and development, are civil service, stat boards and public sector organisations suitable places to look for such jobs? Or should look at jobs in systems integrator instead?

Try DSO, DSTA, CSIT, or IDA. But you better prepare all your technical qualifications first...

Unregistered 13-02-2016 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79382)
No one knows what is the pay scale and promotion rates for poly garda in CS ere?

Recently there has been a change in the poly grads MSO scheme in CS where it has been merged into MX scheme for the uni grads. Poly grads start on a lower rank on the MX scheme while uni grads start on a higher rank. On paper, poly grads will have the same opportunities to climb the same promotion ladder as the uni grads. In reality, it remains to be seen whether this is true. Hence, the pay scale for poly grads are not very well-known as the MSO-merged MS scheme is still quite new. Best to check with the HR of the hiring dept.

Unregistered 13-02-2016 05:22 PM

Hi all im currently a civil servant in a ministry. Im a MX13 due to be emplaced in June. however i wish to transfer to another ministry. May i ask if it would be better for me to reject the emplacement and start all over in the next ministry or should i accept the emplacement and than quit maybe 1-2 months later?

Also, will doing any of the above cause me to be "blacklisted" in any way? My reason is poor job fit and i think it would not serve the org or me well if i were to stay on.

Unregistered 14-02-2016 11:15 PM

I currently hold a private degree (RMIT-SIM) and thinking of applying for a graduate entry-level job in the public sector.
Which statboards or ministries accept grads with private degree?
I currently have about 2-3 years working experience in various administrative positions.

Unregistered 15-02-2016 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79802)
I currently hold a private degree (RMIT-SIM) and thinking of applying for a graduate entry-level job in the public sector.
Which statboards or ministries accept grads with private degree?
I currently have about 2-3 years working experience in various administrative positions.

Your exp sounds like part-time or temp positions which IMO some Govt depts don't take seriously. I've known at least one Govt dept that only sees post-degree work experience as relevant. Their justification is that since you are applying for a graduate level job, only graduate level work exp is relevant.

You might wanna try your luck with the healthcare subsidiaries. Like SingHealth, not MOH. They are considered GLCs I presume. They are not technically ministry Nor starboard but pays quite well and does hire some private degree holders.

Stat boards mostly welcome private degree. But ministries are still difficult for private degrees because of the competition.

Unregistered 15-02-2016 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79732)
Hi all im currently a civil servant in a ministry. Im a MX13 due to be emplaced in June. however i wish to transfer to another ministry. May i ask if it would be better for me to reject the emplacement and start all over in the next ministry or should i accept the emplacement and than quit maybe 1-2 months later?

Also, will doing any of the above cause me to be "blacklisted" in any way? My reason is poor job fit and i think it would not serve the org or me well if i were to stay on.

Why repost this topic? Of course as one poster mentioned, be honest about it. Obviously you are thinking of not being so, thus trying to get perhaps another person to valididate your intended not-too-overt doing. And what blacklisted, such a fearful (restless/not at peace as in vs restful/at peace) person, think you have better be transparent & open in doing everything. 😁 sigh, some are more "strawberry" than others, seriously. The public service is focused more on their AOs, less "small fries" who are there to support their AOs. Do you think they will send intelligence officers or even their HR personnel to keep /track your dossier files?

Unregistered 07-03-2016 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79149)
In the first instance, applicants who have current businesses will unlikely get called up especially in today's market where there is a greater number of applying candidates.

That is why for current public servants engaged in "side" business they either have specific permission granted (for unique reasons) or else face the risk of being caught moonlighting (which leads to disciplinary action).

Do GLC also follow this same public/civil service policy/practice of being concerned with applicants having existing registered businesses/companies? I am a freelancer currently, and have registered a sole proprietorship.

GLC are supposed to operate like private sector companies right?

Unregistered 07-03-2016 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 80898)
Do GLC also follow this same public/civil service policy/practice of being concerned with applicants having existing registered businesses/companies? I am a freelancer currently, and have registered a sole proprietorship.

GLC are supposed to operate like private sector companies right?

who says private sector companies allow their employees to have existing registered businesses? most companies do not allow this, be it private or public sector.

Unregistered 08-03-2016 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 80911)
who says private sector companies allow their employees to have existing registered businesses? most companies do not allow this, be it private or public sector.

If it is a blog shop that doesn't require any attention during the weekdays?

Then how do so many people start sideline businesses and still hold on to a full time job? Register their businesses under retirees' or foreign worker's name?

Unregistered 08-03-2016 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 80926)
If it is a blog shop that doesn't require any attention during the weekdays?

Then how do so many people start sideline businesses and still hold on to a full time job? Register their businesses under retirees' or foreign worker's name?

do anything dun get caught. sometimes is pte co. close one eyee, for civil service they very by right kind. either declare and hope they are ok or take the risk once found out sure fired.

Unregistered 08-03-2016 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 80941)
do anything dun get caught. sometimes is pte co. close one eyee, for civil service they very by right kind. either declare and hope they are ok or take the risk once found out sure fired.

only kachang puteh private companies dont care, such as SME. MNC will ask for declaration. up to you if you want to declare nothing and keep fingers crossed. dont forget private company may not be so free to check regularly, but acra is under government so if you want to smoke public sector you better think twice. they can easily pull out all the info.

Unregistered 09-03-2016 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 80945)
only kachang puteh private companies dont care, such as SME. MNC will ask for declaration. up to you if you want to declare nothing and keep fingers crossed. dont forget private company may not be so free to check regularly, but acra is under government so if you want to smoke public sector you better think twice. they can easily pull out all the info.

But declare also will be dropped as applicant or called up by management for answers right?

Unregistered 09-03-2016 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 81021)
But declare also will be dropped as applicant or called up by management for answers right?

no, declaration is same as "seek approval". 99% of the time the approval is not given and you are expected to exit the business once you are offered.

Unregistered 12-03-2016 10:34 AM

If an offer is made by HR for a civil service position, can it be negotiated further? I was told that once they prepare an offer for approval, they can't change it so easily and have to reapply to their respective heads for approval again?

Kindly advice.

Unregistered 12-03-2016 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 81202)
If an offer is made by HR for a civil service position, can it be negotiated further? I was told that once they prepare an offer for approval, they can't change it so easily and have to reapply to their respective heads for approval again?

Kindly advice.

Salary negotiation hapens only for senior superscale positions, the rest of the lower level offers are determined based on a formula table taking into account your age, years of experience and academic certs, so there is nothing to negotiate. Real life experience during my contract days with a ministry HR.

Unregistered 12-03-2016 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 81204)
Salary negotiation hapens only for senior superscale positions, the rest of the lower level offers are determined based on a formula table taking into account your age, years of experience and academic certs, so there is nothing to negotiate. Real life experience during my contract days with a ministry HR.

Thanks for your advice (:

Even for AD/SAD non nego too?

Unregistered 12-03-2016 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 81220)
Thanks for your advice (:

Even for AD/SAD non nego too?

AD/SAD are just standard lower to mid level ranks, so their package is calculated based on policy. HR will not vary.

Unregistered 13-03-2016 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 81222)
AD/SAD are just standard lower to mid level ranks, so their package is calculated based on policy. HR will not vary.

Its demoralising.. lol S.A.D base on the search here that states their salaries as $7200-9800.00 considered lower to mid level ranks.

My Manager appointment at private sector only $5500.00base. Means I am worse than them. (in terms of rank and pay scale)

zero_88 13-03-2016 03:37 PM

If I am PES C, pass degree only, no honour

what type of job can I do?

Unregistered 13-03-2016 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 81241)
Its demoralising.. lol S.A.D base on the search here that states their salaries as $7200-9800.00 considered lower to mid level ranks.

My Manager appointment at private sector only $5500.00base. Means I am worse than them. (in terms of rank and pay scale)

In a ministry, these ranks are on top of SAD:
1)DD
2)SDD
3)D
4)SD
5)DG
6)AS
7)DS
8)PS
9)SPS

Not all ministries will have all ranks, but it goes to show that calling SAD mid level is already being generous. SAD is a guaranteed rank for long serving staff with a recognized degree. How senior can it be?

Perhaps you are confusing job title with rank? I know a lot of big MNCs you need to be 13-15k to be considered entry managerial level.

Unregistered 13-03-2016 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 81246)
In a ministry, these ranks are on top of SAD:
1)DD
2)SDD
3)D
4)SD
5)DG
6)AS
7)DS
8)PS
9)SPS

Not all ministries will have all ranks, but it goes to show that calling SAD mid level is already being generous. SAD is a guaranteed rank for long serving staff with a recognized degree. How senior can it be?

Perhaps you are confusing job title with rank? I know a lot of big MNCs you need to be 13-15k to be considered entry managerial level.

Not entirely true. My good buddy works in a MNC, Manager (head) of a section. (with 10 reporting staffs) Base Salary only $8.5k. (these days, dun expect good bonuses. all incentives cut to the core) These days, private sector budget not that high. Alot going thru reshuffling and retrenchment exercises.

I know he tried applying for Public service jobs to test water. Posted $8k asking also didnt event get a hint of interview at all for AD/SAD positions.

Unregistered 13-03-2016 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 81249)
Not entirely true. My good buddy works in a MNC, Manager (head) of a section. (with 10 reporting staffs) Base Salary only $8.5k. (these days, dun expect good bonuses. all incentives cut to the core) These days, private sector budget not that high. Alot going thru reshuffling and retrenchment exercises.

I know he tried applying for Public service jobs to test water. Posted $8k asking also didnt event get a hint of interview at all for AD/SAD positions.

That's quite good salary. May I know what industry n work exp?

Unregistered 13-03-2016 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 81249)

head of section could be team lead grade only, is internal ranking public info in ur co.? some progressive mncs is very transparent, others can be quite secretive.

8.5k is roughly senior associate/professional level in my co. need to promote twice more than consider manager.

Unregistered 14-03-2016 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 80945)
they can easily pull out all the info.

Do you know what information can be pulled and what will definitely be restricted even for these background checks?

Unregistered 14-03-2016 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 81322)
Do you know what information can be pulled and what will definitely be restricted even for these background checks?

if u registered ur biz/coy with ACRA, ur name is definitely inside the database. And that info is available to ANYONE (including ur neighbor) who buys it from ACRA. Other info include date of incorporation, whether the biz is active, which industry etc.

The question is whether anyone bother to make the information request

zero_88 15-03-2016 02:14 PM

I am from NTU
PES C
GPA 2.XX

will they look at my GPA?

which civil service can I get into?

or which department I can don't waste my time applying

Unregistered 15-03-2016 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zero_88 (Post 81374)
I am from NTU
PES C
GPA 2.XX

will they look at my GPA?

which civil service can I get into?

or which department I can don't waste my time applying

You can skip applying to the entire civil service.

Unregistered 16-03-2016 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 81380)
You can skip applying to the entire civil service.

Quote for truth. Too many applicants with better results applying. Your chance of being shortlisted is as good as nil, unless you have some unique work experience, skills or attributes that the hiring manager is looking for. My 2 cents.

Unregistered 16-03-2016 09:52 PM

Monetary Authority of Singapore

I am a male graduating from SMU Accountancy with Summa Cum Laude (1st class) next year.

What starting salary should I be expecting at MAS?

Will my career progression be disadvantaged compared to local/overseas MAS scholars? I took up the bond-free scholarship offered by SMU.

It would be great if anyone can share their MAS starting/current salary with class of honours, NS and year!

Unregistered 16-03-2016 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 81463)
I am a male graduating from SMU Accountancy with Summa Cum Laude (1st class) next year.

What starting salary should I be expecting at MAS?

Will my career progression be disadvantaged compared to local/overseas MAS scholars? I took up the bond-free scholarship offered by SMU.

It would be great if anyone can share their MAS starting/current salary with class of honours, NS and year!

it was ard 3.7-3.8 for both fch and second upper w/ ns 2 years ago, but their bonus tend to be higher than normal mx scheme.

Unregistered 16-03-2016 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 81465)
it was ard 3.7-3.8 for both fch and second upper w/ ns 2 years ago, but their bonus tend to be higher than normal mx scheme.

Yes, this is correct. My sources also say 3.8k