Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Civil/Public Sector - Ministry/Stat Boards employees knowledge needed! (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/4955-civil-public-sector-ministry-stat-boards-employees-knowledge-needed.html)

Unregistered 03-10-2015 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 73360)
Hey thanks for all your replies. I'm the original poster.

So, its safe to conclude that I should expect at least a 4k? And thus, if by some miracle they offer 4.5k I should just take it already right? Don't want to be too greedy.

The reason is because of the job title: "Senior executive". I got offered (Yes, they emailed me saying they would send an official offer next week) for it even though I'm a fresh grad, albeit a FCH one.
I would expect the "senior" description to give a better pay, hence my expected 4k. Not sure if the "senior" justifies a higher pay, or it's just a title with no implications.

Would really appreciate feedback on this aspect. Thanks again

Doesn't work that way. All fresh grad within the same agency will start with the same grade. The pay varies depending on the agency and qualification, meaning, all fch within a ministry/sb will get the same pay regardless of what your title is. Some ministries such as MTI call their fresh grad assistant director. Sounds atas, but they are earning around the same as any fresh grad from other ministries with a less atas title.

Also, there is no room for negotiation. You either take the offer or don't.

And engineers are usually paid higher than the normal folks. So don't expect to get paid better than an engineer unless you belong to some other professional schemes.

Unregistered 03-10-2015 02:05 PM

Hi,

If I'm a FCH student from one of the local U's Accountancy course and I join a stat board, how much should I expect and which stat board would pay the highest?

Is it worth going stat board over Big 4? Since big 4 can possibly earn 5k in 5-6 years, how does stat board compare?

Thanks!

Unregistered 03-10-2015 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 73372)
Hi,

If I'm a FCH student from one of the local U's Accountancy course and I join a stat board, how much should I expect and which stat board would pay the highest?

Is it worth going stat board over Big 4? Since big 4 can possibly earn 5k in 5-6 years, how does stat board compare?

Thanks!

Are u local?

Unregistered 03-10-2015 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 73373)
Are u local?

Hi, yup local female, graduating in 2016

xiaopangbronco 04-10-2015 08:29 PM

Anyone applied through jobsbank before? Will the HR only call for interview after the application period ends?

Unregistered 20-10-2015 01:22 PM

Is it true that one should not apply too many applications in Careers@Gov because one agency can see what you applied for for another agency?

Unregistered 20-10-2015 04:08 PM

Hi may i ask if im already a civil servant in a ministry and i apply for another job in c@g, to which i declared that im currently under the employment of that ministry, will my HR or my superior be informed ?

keepcup 20-10-2015 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 73372)
Hi,

Thanks!

go big 4 for about 4 years first before you join the govt sector..ur pay will jump higher and normally will join as manager/senior manager

Unregistered 22-10-2015 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keepcup (Post 73978)
go big 4 for about 4 years first before you join the govt sector..ur pay will jump higher and normally will join as manager/senior manager

Thanks for the reply! After about 4 years in big 4, the pay in big 4 should be about $4k+ right? If I jump to stat boards or ministries, what kind of pay should I expect?

What about if I only work in big 4 for 2 years, is there a point going to civil service then, will I start from scratch since I've yet to reach assistant manager level in big 4?

My plan is to stay in big 4 for 4-5 years, but then again I'm afraid that after 2-3 years I would want to call it quits.

Unregistered 22-10-2015 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 74047)
Thanks for the reply! After about 4 years in big 4, the pay in big 4 should be about $4k+ right? If I jump to stat boards or ministries, what kind of pay should I expect?

What about if I only work in big 4 for 2 years, is there a point going to civil service then, will I start from scratch since I've yet to reach assistant manager level in big 4?

My plan is to stay in big 4 for 4-5 years, but then again I'm afraid that after 2-3 years I would want to call it quits.

You can try after 2 years, but ideally you should get in at 1 grade higher than fresh graduate. Else you have wasted 2 years working outside.

Unregistered 24-10-2015 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 73967)
Hi may i ask if im already a civil servant in a ministry and i apply for another job in c@g, to which i declared that im currently under the employment of that ministry, will my HR or my superior be informed ?

if based on official means, not until they do reference check when they are about to offer.

Unregistered 06-11-2015 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 73960)
Is it true that one should not apply too many applications in Careers@Gov because one agency can see what you applied for for another agency?

I think so. No harm applying for many positions..

Not sure if the withdrawn entries can be seen thou, anyone knows?

Prawn 07-11-2015 06:51 PM

Does anyone know if conversations in Lync can be recovered if its not saved in the conversation history?

Unregistered 06-01-2016 07:43 PM

What are the chances of contract getting renewed but no conversion to perm? How bad must one suck to not get a perm position after contract period? My appraisal coming and I m quite worried

Unregistered 06-01-2016 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 77656)
What are the chances of contract getting renewed but no conversion to perm? How bad must one suck to not get a perm position after contract period? My appraisal coming and I m quite worried

Not uncommon. Certain parts of public sector now work employ only through contract unless its a more senior position. What is your position/role?

Unregistered 06-01-2016 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 77657)
Not uncommon. Certain parts of public sector now work employ only through contract unless its a more senior position. What is your position/role?

Joined as fresh grad, mx12. Outshined by scholars in my dept, so quite worried

Unregistered 06-01-2016 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 77659)
Joined as fresh grad, mx12. Outshined by scholars in my dept, so quite worried

Did you ask around? There may be others who have been around longer than you who started out as contract but are now perm.

For my dept usually its not the norm to convert at all. Turnover rate for perm position is quite low. Headcount is usually fixed. So we cannot convert a contract to perm unless a perm exec position opens up.

Unregistered 07-01-2016 09:19 AM

when can tender resignation to get full PB?

Hi, i am in a stat board. i may be joining a ministry soon. Can i know when can i tender resignation for me to get full PB in march?

Unregistered 07-01-2016 04:18 PM

Origin of State

hi, anyone from Origin of State (courts, AGC etc). Do they get same benefits similar to ministries?

phantaghiro12 07-01-2016 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 77685)
Hi, i am in a stat board. i may be joining a ministry soon. Can i know when can i tender resignation for me to get full PB in march?

Your last day must be after 30 April.

phantaghiro12 07-01-2016 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 73967)

No. It's confidential.

Unregistered 10-01-2016 03:21 PM

FreshGrad

Hey guys,

I just graduated from a foreign reputable university with a business degree, and looking to work for civil service.

Can anyone here (especially those currently working in the civil service) shed some light as to the application process? I logged into the careers portal and uploaded my resume, but it seems additional information such as cover letter, referees etc. is needed.

Also can anyone share where is the best Ministry or SB to launch a career as a degree holder?

Thanks.

Unregistered 10-01-2016 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 77858)
Hey guys,

I just graduated from a foreign reputable university with a business degree, and looking to work for civil service.

Can anyone here (especially those currently working in the civil service) shed some light as to the application process? I logged into the careers portal and uploaded my resume, but it seems additional information such as cover letter, referees etc. is needed.

Also can anyone share where is the best Ministry or SB to launch a career as a degree holder?

Thanks.

1. Log into the career portal, register, upload info, apply for the job in the respective organization page, wait for callup for interview, if no call means not shortlisted, if got call means got interview chance.

2. No best ministry or sb, seek the organization which u feel u can contribute the most. I.e. depending on the degree u took, ur area of specialization. Quite common sense

Unregistered 22-01-2016 10:58 PM

can help to double confirm?

Quote:

Originally Posted by phantaghiro12 (Post 77703)
Your last day must be after 30 April.

Can somebody help to confirm this?? having intention to tender too.. I checked last year payslip, they issue the PB notice in mid april.

Unregistered 25-01-2016 04:12 PM

For public sector organisations listing job ads that will close several months later, do they:
  • Collect resumes from now till closing date and then review every resume?
  • Will review resume once submitted and interview candidates, and close the job ads once positions are filled without waiting for the closing date to lapse?

Unregistered 25-01-2016 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 78740)
For public sector organisations listing job ads that will close several months later, do they:
  • Collect resumes from now till closing date and then review every resume?
  • Will review resume once submitted and interview candidates, and close the job ads once positions are filled without waiting for the closing date to lapse?

1) they review the resume every now and then. doesnt need to wait for closing date.
2) they will review and interview candidates once they find suitable ones. they seldom close the job ads early even the positions are filled as they will keep lookout for talents and collect their resume.

Unregistered 26-01-2016 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 77858)
Hey guys,

Thanks.

Not a very smart move IMO. Especially for biz, you'd want to start your career in the private sector before going into CS. It's better that way for the experience. Also, how "reputable" is your university? Not to sound condescending, but overseas business courses are considered as dumping grounds, the reverse of what occurs here in Sg. For most reputable overseas Uni that provides a good business education, it's usually at the post-grad level.

Try to choose a ministry where you can use your skills and that interests you true most. Don't force yourself into a prestigious ministry just for glory.

Unregistered 26-01-2016 08:58 AM

Tech/engineering jobs in public sector

Is it true that IT/engineering jobs in public sector organisations are project management in nature? To do that, they mainly deal with procurement (GeBiz, RFI, RFP, ITQ, tender) and vendor management. Specifically, their role is to liaise with and supervise the contractors (e.g. ST Engineering, NCS, CrimsonLogic) to ensure they deliver the goods or services, while handling the necessary paperwork and liaising within the government.

They may still start off with technical work as entry or junior level (e.g. job title engineer or analyst of some kind), but the eventual career path for them no matter what is in project management as a project manager. However, for scholars, they move in a accelerated track that sees them promoted to director level at senior management level. The non-scholars stay and retire at mid-management level.

Is my general understanding correct?

Unregistered 28-01-2016 10:22 AM

more info about civil service jobs here -
://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/employment-office-22/%5Bcivil-service-101%5D-mervyn-kor-kor-teach-chu-how-enter-civil-service-4984056.html

Unregistered 30-01-2016 09:55 PM

If a person has a registered business that is:
  • unrelated to a daytime civil service/public sector job
  • mostly run only on weekend
  • unlikely to result in any conflict of interest
  • or is a passive partner in a non-managing role

When he/she joins the civil service/public sector, will the ministry/stat board frown upon it?

Unregistered 31-01-2016 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79010)
If a person has a registered business that is:
  • unrelated to a daytime civil service/public sector job
  • mostly run only on weekend
  • unlikely to result in any conflict of interest
  • or is a passive partner in a non-managing role

When he/she joins the civil service/public sector, will the ministry/stat board frown upon it?

Yes, quite likely.

Unregistered 31-01-2016 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79020)
Yes, quite likely.

So all civil servants and public officers should ideally have zero business or company registered under their name?

If not they get called up for explanation by his bosses.

Unregistered 02-02-2016 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79053)
So all civil servants and public officers should ideally have zero business or company registered under their name?

If not they get called up for explanation by his bosses.

In the first instance, applicants who have current businesses will unlikely get called up especially in today's market where there is a greater number of applying candidates.

That is why for current public servants engaged in "side" business they either have specific permission granted (for unique reasons) or else face the risk of being caught moonlighting (which leads to disciplinary action).

Unregistered 02-02-2016 05:25 PM

I would greatly appreciate advice from you guys. Say if I were to give a different reason why I left my previous company (tendered resignation / nothing illegal) during the stat board interview from the reasons I gave during my exit interview at my previous company, will I be faulted during the background checks?

What do they usually check for during these background checks? Do they just call up the previous company and ask for my ex manager/HR/etc?

Local university grad with 2 years of working experience here.

Unregistered 02-02-2016 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79182)
I would greatly appreciate advice from you guys. Say if I were to give a different reason why I left my previous company (tendered resignation / nothing illegal) during the stat board interview from the reasons I gave during my exit interview at my previous company, will I be faulted during the background checks?

What do they usually check for during these background checks? Do they just call up the previous company and ask for my ex manager/HR/etc?

Local university grad with 2 years of working experience here.

Hi,

In the first instance, if you've not breached any regulations in your previous company, both the reasons you provided during your exit interview as well as what's provided to your potential stat board employer should tally.

(Going forward, you now know that whatever exit reasons you're giving next time, it should generally be aligned with what you'll be providing to your future employer)

If the "background checks" you're referring to is your provision of referees where one of them should be either your past supervisor or HR rep, then the potential employer is likely to make some basic enquiries to prove your employment there (example, general conduct or any disciplinary action imposed, etc.).

There are other background checks and this will vary depending on the nature and sensitivity of the new job you're applying for. Some of these will still be performed while you're employed in your new stat board.

All the best.

Unregistered 03-02-2016 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79191)
Hi,

In the first instance, if you've not breached any regulations in your previous company, both the reasons you provided during your exit interview as well as what's provided to your potential stat board employer should tally.

Thanks for the reply. Will they be able to find that out though?

The company is undergoing reorg and my position was unstable. I told the truth to the stat board, but said I found a more well paying job during the exit interview to not sound like jumping off a sinking ship.

Unregistered 03-02-2016 02:49 PM

Congrats to all civil servants for their CNY bonus!

Unregistered 03-02-2016 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79245)
Congrats to all civil servants for their CNY bonus!

What cny bonus?

Unregistered 03-02-2016 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 79249)
What cny bonus?

Think poster was just being satirically funny-it's advance CNY pay to facilitate those whose cash flow is tight during festive period.

Unregistered 04-02-2016 09:53 PM

Thanks

Hi all im currently a civil servant with a Ministry. May i ask if i apply to another ministry via c@g, will my present ministry knows about it?

I understand when the soft offer is made thats when the reference check would be made and definitely the ministry would know. But what about the application and interview stages ? Thanks