Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical Timeline for making a Hiring Decision (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2023-civil-svc-statboard-typical-timeline-making-hiring-decision.html)

Unregistered 05-11-2019 12:38 AM

Will all your job applications be unsuccessful due to that you are staying at the opposition party ward?
I mean does the location of where you stay affect the job applications and chances of offer.

Unregistered 06-11-2019 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 124717)
Will all your job applications be unsuccessful due to that you are staying at the opposition party ward?
I mean does the location of where you stay affect the job applications and chances of offer.

They see your grades and which university you graduated from more than anything else. Speaking from a public servant point of view.

Unregistered 06-11-2019 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 124769)
They see your grades and which university you graduated from more than anything else. Speaking from a public servant point of view.

Does 'O' Level grades matter too? E.g. D7 English

Unregistered 06-11-2019 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 124772)
Does 'O' Level grades matter too? E.g. D7 English

Usually they see more of university results if you have one. If you have a 2nd upper or FCH from a reputable university, the rest simply doesnt matter. I have seen them hiring graduates who not only dont have relevant working experiences but also having a academic field that is not as relevant, but just because they graduated from top tier uni like harvard, Oxford, MTI, they got the job. Some on management programme too. So now i understand why those on scholarship choose to go those top tier university studying history, literature, psychology because the academic field doesn't matter once they got in to the top tier uni.

Unregistered 08-11-2019 01:42 AM

I applied last Sunday and today when I checked the status is “unsuccessful”. This is really surprising to me as it’s only been 4 days since I applied. I wonder if it could be a mistake and if I should call to ask? My experience is exactly what they were asking for so I thought there would at least be an interview. Quite disappointed since I really was quite interested in the job scope. Sigh. Checked and the job opening is still there.

Any advice would be appreciated, many thanks.

Unregistered 08-11-2019 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 124831)
I applied last Sunday and today when I checked the status is “unsuccessful”. This is really surprising to me as it’s only been 4 days since I applied. I wonder if it could be a mistake and if I should call to ask? My experience is exactly what they were asking for so I thought there would at least be an interview. Quite disappointed since I really was quite interested in the job scope. Sigh. Checked and the job opening is still there.

If your degree or diploma is not recognised by SG, this might happen. Another reason could be the respond is overwhelming, and they kept only the top group. For example, a job opening has 400 responds. HR will filter away 350, and push the selected 50 to the department hiring. Advice is move on, and apply another job. It is a hit and miss kind of situation and you will rarely know their thought process. At least they did not waste your time and gave you a reply in 4 days. Who knows, you might find a better job with a good culture. Good luck to your job hunt.

Unregistered 08-11-2019 01:13 PM

Quote:

It usually won't be a mistake. This happened because they already have set some criteria which they will only choose from, those are hidden. Experience is one thing, academic and your previous jobs/titles are another. Hirers from govt agencies looks more than experiences, that's the ugly truth. Also, it is possible that the slot is actually reserved for their selected candidates which they would want them to follow the "correct" procedures to apply the job. I have seen such cases.

Unregistered 08-11-2019 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 124847)
It usually won't be a mistake. This happened because they already have set some criteria which they will only choose from, those are hidden. Experience is one thing, academic and your previous jobs/titles are another. Hirers from govt agencies looks more than experiences, that's the ugly truth. Also, it is possible that the slot is actually reserved for their selected candidates which they would want them to follow the "correct" procedures to apply the job. I have seen such cases.

Just to state some examples, if the requirements state that the applicants need to have x no. Of years of strong tietiary background in engineering or science field - the word to take note of is "strong", mostly mean that they want PhD holders. Another is you can go LinkedIn search the people from that particular agencies or department and you see their experiences and academics, these would be an indicator of what they are actually looking out for. Many times you will be shock that many doesnt have any relevant background/fielf but just so that they graduated from top uni.

Unregistered 08-11-2019 01:25 PM

Quote:

Just to state some examples, if the requirements state that the applicants need to have x no. Of years of strong tietiary background in engineering or science field - the word to take note of is "strong", mostly mean that they want PhD holders. Another is you can go LinkedIn search the people from that particular agencies or department and you see their experiences and academics, these would be an indicator of what they are actually looking out for. Many times you will be shock that many doesnt have any relevant background/fielf but just so that they graduated from top uni.

Unregistered 08-11-2019 05:17 PM

Thank you for your reply. I come from a local Uni with 2nd class upper honours and I did look at LinkedIn and other people in the team have similar (or less) experience. That’s why I surprised. But ya certainly possible someone else has a better profile. At least they responded fast.