Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical Timeline for making a Hiring Decision (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2023-civil-svc-statboard-typical-timeline-making-hiring-decision.html)

Unregistered 16-04-2019 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 117069)
Hi im quite new to this.

Just wondering when HR calls to offer a job and they ask if you are interested in the role do they usually tell you the estimated package?

I received a call today and they asked for my interest, and since i am interested, HR will submit to higher mgt for approval. At which stage can i ask for the salary? I didnt get any email or thing to follow up after the call though she says she will contact me again.

Im graduating this year so i have no idea how it all works..

Hi, I am also graduating this year.
The HRs that called to offer also told me briefly about my pay package. One was very detailed with explanation of all the benefits and another just told me about the pay but dd not talk about the other benefits.
I think you can call (since you have the HR's number) and ask them to share more about the offer because you know, pay is an impt factor haha.

Unregistered 16-04-2019 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 117115)
Hi, I am also graduating this year.
The HRs that called to offer also told me briefly about my pay package. One was very detailed with explanation of all the benefits and another just told me about the pay but dd not talk about the other benefits.
I think you can call (since you have the HR's number) and ask them to share more about the offer because you know, pay is an impt factor haha.

Thanks!! I realised none of the interview talked about pay. So its confusing i tot they would tell me until this one asked for my interest without telling the pay. Imagine they quite me 2k or something. Hahah.

To my pay is important right, i don’t want to be regard as money face. Haha! I want to pay my uni loans. Haha

Unregistered 16-04-2019 04:56 PM

Ministry of Social and Family development or Singapore Prison Service for
Social work /Counselling job?

Unregistered 16-04-2019 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 117120)
Thanks!! I realised none of the interview talked about pay. So its confusing i tot they would tell me until this one asked for my interest without telling the pay. Imagine they quite me 2k or something. Hahah.

To my pay is important right, i don’t want to be regard as money face. Haha! I want to pay my uni loans. Haha

From my limited understanding of how it works for fresh grads, some organizations really think they are the best pay in the world, example MOE. 3 years ago my friend signed on a blank cheque, never even indicate what's his salary. That was a time that out of 100 applicants 1 get in.

Usually the salary gets discussed at the final round. When HR invite you sign... You can ask what is the salary before going down. If they refuse to talk about it, then frankly, tell them to fly kite unless you really want to work there. Sometimes they claim that still being approved but should be settled by the time u go down next week. Probably a very desperate HR. Be polite, one day before the appointment call and ask what is the salary. If still no number then I won't bother... They will try to hard sell you at low salary. Chances are the culture is bad.

However if HR says it's a final round Interview... Then not the same.. Salary could be revealed face to face. If you are a good match then go down a final time to sign and be briefed on your benefits all together.

In short, a good company sure will tell you the salary on an occasion separate from the signing date. A horrible one will cook up 101 reasons to reveal salary on same day u sign.

Unregistered 16-04-2019 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 117143)
From my limited understanding of how it works for fresh grads, some organizations really think they are the best pay in the world, example MOE. 3 years ago my friend signed on a blank cheque, never even indicate what's his salary. That was a time that out of 100 applicants 1 get in.

Usually the salary gets discussed at the final round. When HR invite you sign... You can ask what is the salary before going down. If they refuse to talk about it, then frankly, tell them to fly kite unless you really want to work there. Sometimes they claim that still being approved but should be settled by the time u go down next week. Probably a very desperate HR. Be polite, one day before the appointment call and ask what is the salary. If still no number then I won't bother... They will try to hard sell you at low salary. Chances are the culture is bad.

However if HR says it's a final round Interview... Then not the same.. Salary could be revealed face to face. If you are a good match then go down a final time to sign and be briefed on your benefits all together.

In short, a good company sure will tell you the salary on an occasion separate from the signing date. A horrible one will cook up 101 reasons to reveal salary on same day u sign.

Thanks again. I was 'verbally' extended an offer with then saying that they will confirm on the position, would it be rude if i ask for the expected range?

Unregistered 20-04-2019 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 117145)
Thanks again. I was 'verbally' extended an offer with then saying that they will confirm on the position, would it be rude if i ask for the expected range?

Anything before the final round interview is considered unprofessional. HR expect everybody to first put money aside and consider only based on job fit. Same as going for a date, will you demand to know your potential boy/girlfriend salary, house size and bank balance before you hold hands? Dating programs aside.. Normally it is not good.

If you are the chosen 1 or 2, then they start to lowball you will all sorts of nonsense like work life balance, 18 days leave and medical benefits for dependents.. Then they expect the mid career to negotiate and the freshie to grab.

Though we all need money, the pretentious cycle of job seeking is as such. That's how glassdoor, payscale and salary reports become so sought after some even pay for the annual report.

Unregistered 20-04-2019 06:48 PM

Had an interview. Got called up the following day and informed that i'm confirmed and awaiting clearance. Have not been told about pay package. Anyone has any idea how long would the waiting time be like. Stat board…

Unregistered 20-04-2019 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 117367)
Had an interview. Got called up the following day and informed that i'm confirmed and awaiting clearance. Have not been told about pay package. Anyone has any idea how long would the waiting time be like. Stat board…

Easier if you inforn us the stat board before we advise you. If you are lucky someone who works there may be be able to offer you an estimate.

Sounds like they are getting your salary approved as well. It is fair to receive the salary offer anytime before you sign.

Unregistered 20-04-2019 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 117380)
Easier if you inforn us the stat board before we advise you. If you are lucky someone who works there may be be able to offer you an estimate.

Sounds like they are getting your salary approved as well. It is fair to receive the salary offer anytime before you sign.

Ahhhh! Interviewed at Land Authority in the afternoon! Grateful for your reminder! :))

Unregistered 21-04-2019 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 117120)

I'm graduating this semester and managed to secure a job in civil service haha. They also didn't tell me the salary package and benefit until everything was approved by upper management and before they sent out the formal offer email. Tbh I don't think fresh grads have the power to negotiate, and it's a standard salary range offered for fresh grads. Another important thing is the salary that they offer you cos if they are already offering smth like $3.5k that's the max already. I feel like you don't have to be too concerned about the salary as of now. If it's a job you really want, just take whatever they offer and perform well. You'll get salary increment and performance bonus for doing well so you can use that to pay off your study loans and to save up too :)