Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 03-01-2024 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 264729)
unfortunately what you described is no longer limited to a few schools. such scenario is becoming more prevalent, and i too dont buy into the narrative that there is lack of talent that wants to go into teaching, or there is a need to reduce reliance on foreigners

rather, if you look at the bigger picture, over the past decade, the percentage of budget allocated for education has gradually decreased, and this is inevitable as other sectors require greater funding, especially healthcare. this portion is probably our biggest spending (i stand corrected) apart from defence. as such, money/funding has to be de-allocated from somwhere to support this additional spending. at the end of the day, in the context of teaching, perm headcount reduction is the most straightforward way to reduce overheads, since FAJT doesnt command PB etc

we have to accept that Singapore's has finite resources, and certain sectors have to be prioritise over others. what deserves to be prioritise is something that we can definitely debate, but by land large, the manpower crunch in school looks to stay for the near being. just have work smart and adapt accordingly. it's increasingly difficult (or even impossible) to find schools that is free from such issues, unlike in the past.

I wonder what the chain reaction will be from making such decisions.

Staff quiet quitting? Performance grading tightened? Vicious cycle of resignations among young staff? Quality of education drops?

Munchen 03-01-2024 06:42 PM

Reading posts on permanent teacher reduction brings a lot of emotions from me. And it's true that the normal teachers have to tank most of the workload. In my school for example, some teachers who are seen as "capable" are paired with KPs for form teachership. Of course in such top heavy work environments, the ordinary teachers have to do the admin work, while the KP just make themself present aka "eye power".

Thats the punishment for being able and willing to do work well.

Unregistered 03-01-2024 10:01 PM

I feel that there isn't a need for so many HQ officers - they can be redeployed into schools tbh

Unregistered 03-01-2024 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 264791)
I feel that there isn't a need for so many HQ officers - they can be redeployed into schools tbh

Only around 10% of MOE workforce is at HQ and not all at HQ are EOs

Unregistered 03-01-2024 10:16 PM

Not happy just quit.

Unregistered 03-01-2024 10:42 PM

Experience in SeN Division

Considering to apply to SEN Division for HQ posting. Anyone has experience or knowledge about the culture and work in it? TIA

Unregistered 04-01-2024 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 264796)
Not happy just quit.

I hope you're not a teacher because this is the stupidest suggestion for individuals in this current job market. Obviously, whoever is on top will be happy about the cost cutting resignations are bringing in, but quitting is actually not a definite direct solution for teachers.

If the workload is really too much, just firmly tell your RO or SLs that you only wish to fulfill basic expectations. Tell them clearly and in black and white that you do not want extra roles or responsibilities. In this case, you will at least still have a basic stable salary, with basic increments while doing the basics.

If you are really suffering from burnout etc, you can go further by switching to FAJT. But be warned, it will be quite a hard and long process to convert back to perm eventually.

Otherwise, you can try to apply for NPL. However, also remember that if you take NPL, besides not having a salary and affecting your PB + Connect Plan, your remaining colleagues will also suffer because they will have to bear your workload. You will need to risk offending them by going this route. And you should also assume that once you're gone/away, there is very little chance that someone new can take over your workload (unless your RO/SL is skilled/loud enough to demand for new manpower).

Unregistered 04-01-2024 11:19 PM

Online tuition platform

Would anyone be interested in giving tuition online? Looking for MOE tutors or full-time tutors. You would have access to a LMS platform (something like SLS) as well.

telelearners.com

Munchen 05-01-2024 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 264866)
I hope you're not a teacher because this is the stupidest suggestion for individuals in this current job market. Obviously, whoever is on top will be happy about the cost cutting resignations are bringing in, but quitting is actually not a definite direct solution for teachers.

If the workload is really too much, just firmly tell your RO or SLs that you only wish to fulfill basic expectations. Tell them clearly and in black and white that you do not want extra roles or responsibilities. In this case, you will at least still have a basic stable salary, with basic increments while doing the basics.

If you are really suffering from burnout etc, you can go further by switching to FAJT. But be warned, it will be quite a hard and long process to convert back to perm eventually.

Otherwise, you can try to apply for NPL. However, also remember that if you take NPL, besides not having a salary and affecting your PB + Connect Plan, your remaining colleagues will also suffer because they will have to bear your workload. You will need to risk offending them by going this route. And you should also assume that once you're gone/away, there is very little chance that someone new can take over your workload (unless your RO/SL is skilled/loud enough to demand for new manpower).

Generally, what would be considered as basic workload and what is considered as going beyond and above?

For example, where would you place committee leader, CCA IC, subject coordinator into?

Unregistered 05-01-2024 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 264866)

The cost-cutting part only make sense if people at the top quits. There is a surplus of SLs and SEOs, who are drawing high pay.

But what is happening is that quitting is happening at the bottom end. GEO3,4, who are drawing lower pay and doing more of the essential classroom work, are quitting because they are overworked.

If people at the bottom are quitting, not only is there not much cost savings, wastage is increased because the money invested in training them is not translated into good ROI.

With the all-scholar recruitment currently, the younger crop of teachers are all high calibre people who have options. They have no difficulties switching to other ministries, or finding better paying jobs in the private sector. Many organisations are happy to hire them.

The teaching workforce has aged in the past 10 years.

Look around your department. What was the proportion of young teachers when you joined compared with the current situation?

It is a common sight to see those in their 30s and 40s being the youngest teachers in their department again, when the young ones leave after finishing their bonds or getting their connect plan. This seriously disrupts succession planning and assignment of work.