Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Munchen 31-12-2023 01:48 PM

Hi, am wondering if it is worth staying at my current school due to overloading of teachers. Our school lacks manpower. People keep leaving and they can't seem to get teachers to apply to the school (for obvious reasons). Existing teachers have higher amount of classes and exam papers to set. FAJT seems to be the current stop gap measure but they dont typically set exam papers etc.

I notice teachers who over the years become negative due to the prolonged excessive workload. Is this a good reason to leave?

Unregistered 31-12-2023 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchen (Post 264377)
Hi, am wondering if it is worth staying at my current school due to overloading of teachers. Our school lacks manpower. People keep leaving and they can't seem to get teachers to apply to the school (for obvious reasons). Existing teachers have higher amount of classes and exam papers to set. FAJT seems to be the current stop gap measure but they dont typically set exam papers etc.

I notice teachers who over the years become negative due to the prolonged excessive workload. Is this a good reason to leave?

overloading and shortage is everywhere man. its not a school specific scenario. its happening everywhere because of ministry's decision to cut

one scary thing i realised...not only cut EO

TSO MSO OSO also cut

even canteen also got fewer vendors next year

Unregistered 31-12-2023 02:50 PM

Quote:

If you find the workload manageable at your school, stay. If you are looking for better work life balance, apply ope to the elite independent schools.

Unregistered 31-12-2023 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 264313)
ok so the burning qns is.. how much is this hannah chia earning as a principal at the age of 36? tyvm

i reckon 20k pm. about 300k annual all in.

Unregistered 31-12-2023 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 264381)
overloading and shortage is everywhere man. its not a school specific scenario. its happening everywhere because of ministry's decision to cut

one scary thing i realised...not only cut EO

TSO MSO OSO also cut

even canteen also got fewer vendors next year

MOE cutting headcount and implementing FSBB at the same time is a double whammy to the neighbourhood schools. Meanwhile when you talk to the teachers in the elite schools they are like 'what is FSBB?'.

Until you see the elite schools taking in G1/G2 students this FSBB is all for show

Unregistered 01-01-2024 02:50 PM

Quote:

If you feel that it is time to leave for greener pastures, then it is time to leave.

Important to find somewhere with a balance you are comfortable with

Unregistered 01-01-2024 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 264394)

Appointment and pay grades are 2 separate things

Many people have pointed out their experience of taking on appointments above their paygrades

Won't be surprising if she's SEO doing superscale H work.

From GEO2 to H, there are 6 paygrades to clear (GEO 3, 4, 5, SEO 1, 2, 3)

From graduating uni, need to add in 2 more years for NIE and stanford masters.

11 years to promote 6 grades seems a little unlikely. Remember, she's not the only scholar around. There are many scholars in MOE.

Most likely is still SEO3

Unregistered 01-01-2024 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 264394)

Nah not possible at that age. Only the lao jiao Principals will hit 20k pm. You need the YOE for the pay progression. The youngest, freshest P may only start around 11-14k pm.

Only AOs will enjoy express pay bump. But Principals will be SEO Superscale, not AO.

Unregistered 01-01-2024 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 264214)
Hi! I was doing internal LH duties this year and asked to go for interview in 2024. I’m not sure if I’m ready for the interview itself. Anyone who has gone for it can share what kind of questions were asked?

I’d think this is what I need to read up on as a language teacher:
- syllabus
- school’s and dept direction
- examples of how I contributed to school
- challenges I’ve faced as an internal leader

My HOD has not prep me yet and I don’t want to bug her this early.
I’m nervous 😬 especially in a formal setting and having to speak spontaneously 🥶 TIA!

You may be asked on your experience of leading a team, challenges of change management and culture building as well.

Unregistered 02-01-2024 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 264482)
Appointment and pay grades are 2 separate things

Many people have pointed out their experience of taking on appointments above their paygrades

Won't be surprising if she's SEO doing superscale H work.

From GEO2 to H, there are 6 paygrades to clear (GEO 3, 4, 5, SEO 1, 2, 3)

From graduating uni, need to add in 2 more years for NIE and stanford masters.

11 years to promote 6 grades seems a little unlikely. Remember, she's not the only scholar around. There are many scholars in MOE.

Most likely is still SEO3

Rubbish. Talk nonsense.