Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 31-03-2022 09:54 PM

When we will see our increment on the Workpal?

Unregistered 31-03-2022 10:01 PM

Agreed on being stuck. Normal HOT teacher here. Degree holder. Been stuck at GEO 3 for almost 4 years. Well, I guess can't complain since I'm a C grader. Haha! I know of quite a number of productive people who have been stuck at 3 and 4 for many many years before they get promoted again. I've also seen people who don't do much, get promoted every two years. So...I'm kinda confused with what the promotion criteria is like.

Unregistered 31-03-2022 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinkermaster (Post 211488)
Usually will take a couple of C+/B/A which can be up to 3 rounds minimum. If you consistently just achieve C, the will take longer. But also depends on your CEP. So if you have a better CEP and is ranked higher in the CEP list, then sometimes the number of C+/B required may not be that many.Good luck

Does this mean that even within the same CEP range like P7/P6, there are differences in the ranking based on the JH's relative position compared to others? So a P7 JH ranked higher than another P7 JH will be promoted earlier?

WorkSoHard 01-04-2022 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 211510)
Wow. 7 years from GEO 2 to GEO 5.
There are many teachers in my sch who are stuck in GEO 4 for that number of years.

I was the one who had a colleague who promoted to GEO5 from GEO4 after 7 years. Still waiting for mine.

7 years from GEO2 to GEO5 is so fast!

Tinkermaster 01-04-2022 06:41 AM

Yes, usually it doesn't matter if you are A/B graders because bunching a As/Bs is minimal because i) the number of people getting those grades are relatively few so technically in comparing 2 B graders, even if one CEP is higher than the other (but same CEP grade), it don't matter. I think the main differentiation weighs for most teachers is whether your are a P6, P7 compared to your peers who are usually P8. If you are P8 = GEO 5 (projected at the end of your career), then it is wise to do something that allows your management sees you differently and raise you up to P7 (LH/SH) or P6B/P6A (HOD/VP). This is usually the faster way to get the promotion and the number of years you stay in a particular grade will usually be short. Reason is because they see you having the potential, HR will spread out your promotions to balance between your motivation level and your end of career span. As there is also a bunch of people who are in the Cs, then top quartile of the C will tend to get it way faster compared to peers that belonged to the middle rung and below. But being a P8 is still the slowest. Of course there are also other hidden factors e.g scholar status/national awards (e.g PAT/OYEA/FLP). You will be identified by your school and approved by HR and your CEP will be specially tuned in by HR. Naturally, for this group, as they are deemed to be CEP = P5 (Principals and above), then your CEP ranking is usually not with the normal population. You can identify these colleagues in your school e.g given special projects that are considered 'highlights' etc. This is because at the end of the day, the Principals will also be queried on how have they develop this group of special officers? So the whole point is if you wait for the time based mechanism to kick in for promotions, then you are doing yourself a disservice. Many of us are "farmers" in schools, but it is up to your mentality to translate something that is given to you, turned it into projects that leads to high impact for your students/peers/school. This is perhaps the way to get yourself noticed and having people speaking up for you in the ranking panel is vital.

Unregistered 01-04-2022 12:15 PM

When do cohort promotion for GEO2 to GEO3 typically happens? (Male)

Unregistered 01-04-2022 01:14 PM

I am thinking whether to join the teaching profession. Other factors aside, can anyone share the salary progression for the first 10 years for an average performer?

Would an average performer ever cross the $10k barrier?

Unregistered 01-04-2022 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 211637)
I am thinking whether to join the teaching profession. Other factors aside, can anyone share the salary progression for the first 10 years for an average performer?

no wonder tech folks in the public service laughing to the bank, many have broken the 10k barrier long time ago.

Unregistered 01-04-2022 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 211637)

Normal farmer aka HOT max out at Geo5 max salary 7.8k so answer is nope. Won’t cross 10k mark

Unregistered 01-04-2022 03:59 PM

Hello, I am a GEO 3 in HQ, non-scholar. I was wondering what happens if I dont hit GEO4 by the time I end my HQ stint? That would mean no enhanced posting for me right?