Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 11-03-2023 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 242157)
If a geo1 were to quit and become FAJT, how much would he/she earn?

I will advise you to just switch career

Unregistered 11-03-2023 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 242152)
If a GEO5 were to quit and become FAJT, how much would he/she earn?

Go for part time, it’s more worth it

Unregistered-teacher2023 12-03-2023 12:16 AM

AYH or SH

Hi forum readers,

I would like to seek some advice regarding the roles. I have been exploring about the role of AYH and Subject Head. Been thinking of having the discussion with my RO as I was recently ask if I would be keen to step up to a KP role.

There seemed to be some sort of a hint as my RO asked me whether I would be keen as an AYH or being a SH (Chemistry).

I am hoping to gain some insights from you guys to find out if anyone is able to share how is the role like? The nature of both roles are quite different from what I observed in my school:

AYH deals with student development, work closely with form teachers and also handles students “cases” beyond academics.

SH deals with mainly subject matter, work with department teachers, coordinate resources and planning of the subjects.

What I am curious about is the “relative workload”, as AYH and SH are pitched equally (am i right to say that?).

It’s going to be my first time holding a portfolio like this, while i am excited about both roles, I am also worried and been contemplating what role would I be able to contribute better.

Appreciate if anyone has any insights to share.

Unregistered 12-03-2023 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 241958)
You think they care?

There's always new young blood joining. They don't care if people leave. In fact, if you leave, even better. Free up places at the top.

A blind person who has never seen colour, will not know what they are missing.
A person will not know what they missed out if they have never experienced it.
The newbies who have been overworked since the day they joined, never knew how overworked they are. To them, working 90h week is 'normal'.
The old birds who have been around since the time when teaching is literally just teaching, know better.

For the senior management at HQ, feel free to look up their career history.
Mostly fall into 2 types. MOE OMS or PSC scholars. Both types have fast tracked careers, where they spend minimal time teaching. Some PSC scholars have never taught a single day in their life before. Some of the senior management are scholars who are rotated from other ministries.

Why care for welfare of the underlings, when they can squeeze the life out of them, extract maximum productivity, achieve their KPIs and move on to the next cushy role PSD has mapped out for them?

More ppl should read this comment.
VPs and Ps are actually very free to run tons of non-value-adding meetings cause they do not teach any classes. Give them the worst classes to teach so as to learn about empathy.

Unregistered 12-03-2023 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 242125)
Long Service Award

10 years long service award is $400?

Unregistered-teacher2023 12-03-2023 07:37 AM

Understanding AYH and SH roles

Hi readers,

would like to seek some advice here, if possible. Recently my RO spoke to me and asked if I was keen to take on a KP position. It was somewhat hinted about the possibility for an AYH or SH position, as he asked what is my interest like for each of the job scope.

I have fairly limited knowledge of these two roles and from what I understand and observe regarding these two roles in my current school:

AYH: Deals with student development programmes (i.e. organising cohort level programmes like camps, talks etc.). Also work closely with Form Teachers to monitor and tackle "student cases" which can range quite a bit.

SH: Mainly focus on subject coordination, planning of work/SOW for the subject, work with department teachers.

Is there anything else that is part of being in each of the roles? I know it can vary from school to school, would be great to find out the common trend.

What I am curious is, are they fairly similar in terms of job workload. Or does one take up more time than the other?

I know that both are SEO1 equivalent sub-grade and would like to find out more from anyone, especially if someone who has been in the role?

Unregistered 12-03-2023 09:49 AM

PB statement

Does anyone know which date in March is the PB statement usually released?

Unregistered 12-03-2023 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered-teacher2023 (Post 242175)
Hi readers,

would like to seek some advice here, if possible. Recently my RO spoke to me and asked if I was keen to take on a KP position. It was somewhat hinted about the possibility for an AYH or SH position, as he asked what is my interest like for each of the job scope.

I have fairly limited knowledge of these two roles and from what I understand and observe regarding these two roles in my current school:

AYH: Deals with student development programmes (i.e. organising cohort level programmes like camps, talks etc.). Also work closely with Form Teachers to monitor and tackle "student cases" which can range quite a bit.

SH: Mainly focus on subject coordination, planning of work/SOW for the subject, work with department teachers.

Is there anything else that is part of being in each of the roles? I know it can vary from school to school, would be great to find out the common trend.

What I am curious is, are they fairly similar in terms of job workload. Or does one take up more time than the other?

I know that both are SEO1 equivalent sub-grade and would like to find out more from anyone, especially if someone who has been in the role?

If given a choice, go for AYH.
Lesser nonsense to deal with.
Dealing with students is much better than dealing with barbaric colleagues

Unregistered 12-03-2023 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 242167)
More ppl should read this comment.
VPs and Ps are actually very free to run tons of non-value-adding meetings cause they do not teach any classes. Give them the worst classes to teach so as to learn about empathy.

Ps and VPs are still small fries in the system.

At most DD level, still need to report to sup. And a lot of them are already at their career ceiling. They can't do much to address issues such as manpower shortages, because staffing quota is ultimately assessed by the higher ups in HQ.

The people with the real decision-making powers are those from divisional director and above. E.g. schools division director, DDGE, DGE, Perm Sec

Unregistered 12-03-2023 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 242178)
Does anyone know which date in March is the PB statement usually released?

Usually around one week before the PB payout.
Last year’s payout was ard 22 March.