Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 23-12-2022 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237633)
Huh.. I thought I 5th hear going 6th GEO 3 v Sian le; out there also have people like me :(
My PB is very good to extremely good somemore. But no promotion news. I’m hoping next year

Actually no hurry to move to GEO4, getting high PB at GEO3 with lesser job expectations makes for better work life balance and gives you more sanity.

Unregistered 23-12-2022 10:38 PM

8 years in service
I have heard many like me doing heaps and heaps of stuff
But just remain stagnant.
I always tot when the time comes will go to next rank but seems like it is not so now

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237617)
8 years in GEO 3 or 8 years in service?
8 years as GEO 3 is really long, especially when you have mentioned that your PB have been good

Unregistered 23-12-2022 10:39 PM

Easy for you to say this
Do u know the pay difference
Not to mention low morale when others are promoting and you are still at geo 3?
And u are rank with the BTs and what will your colleagues think of you still remaining at geo 3 after so long?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237634)
Actually no hurry to move to GEO4, getting high PB at GEO3 with lesser job expectations makes for better work life balance and gives you more sanity.

Unregistered 23-12-2022 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237633)
Huh.. I thought I 5th hear going 6th GEO 3 v Sian le; out there also have people like me :(
My PB is very good to extremely good somemore. But no promotion news. I’m hoping next year

Are you near to your salary ceiling?

Unregistered 23-12-2022 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237636)
Easy for you to say this
And u are rank with the BTs and what will your colleagues think of you still remaining at geo 3 after so long?

there is always a give and take. what the previous post mentioned is quite true. ranked with BTs also means you're more likely to get higher performance grade and PB.

and not to burst your bubble, but the promotion increment isn't that much either, at about 400+. your extra income from a good PB (probably additional 1 month+), is similar in amount to 1 year worth of that promotion increment.

not to forget that this year GEO3s had a 9% adjustment, while GEO4s only had 5%, and young or newly promoted GEO4s this year are the most unlucky due to bad timing (don't forget their increased workload too).

there will not be any end to comparing. if you do the math, those who are 35 and below are suffering one way or another with you, regardless of GEO3 or GEO4. everyone is in the same boat.

if you want to compare, compare by age group, with those Gen X and boomers. but you'll still end up with the conclusion with no solution - born later, bad timing, bad luck.

enjayell 24-12-2022 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237610)
Sometimes at a meeting a week before a high key event your SLs "suddenly thought of something" and you gotta scramble to get things implemented. It's not always so simple that you can foresee everything you need in September the year before.

Accountability is important, yes. But squandering all these man hours on extremely laborious paperwork is also an egregious waste of tax monies. The expenditure on man hours to get the paperwork done significantly decreases the value for money received from every single procurement exercise. Accountability should not be thrown away entirely, but at the same time we have taken the administrative processes too far.

Sounds more like a leadership problem. Anyway situation is not unique to MOE.

enjayell 24-12-2022 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237619)
Those deals are not good at all.

The prices are marked up, where even after the 'subsidy', it's still more expensive than booking directly via platforms like expedia.

So far been using the subsidies quite a few times. Some of them the rates are lower than what can be found on travel / hotel booking sites!

Unregistered 24-12-2022 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237624)
Makes no sense because CONNECT deposit does not vary based on performance grade, whereas Performance Bonus does. They are not substitutes for one another.

GEO PB quantum is roughly 1 month less, compared to other CS.
Can check on the CS bonus thread.

If EOs get 1.5 months for C grade, other ministries and stat boards give 2.5.

Adds up to about the same eventually.

Unregistered 24-12-2022 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237635)
8 years in service
I have heard many like me doing heaps and heaps of stuff
But just remain stagnant.
I always tot when the time comes will go to next rank but seems like it is not so now

Depends on what you are doing.

Promotion is based on the school's appraisal of your ability to perform at higher levels, not just by how much you do.

In other words, you need to take on portfolios that are above your paygrade, which has visible impacts at the school level. For example, initiating and leading a project that affects an entire cohort, or the entire school.
Or like what others mentioned, internal KP appointments.

Doing a lot of work within your paygrade, merely makes you a hardworking worker. Which might explain your good performance bonus.

A GEO3 can be a member of multiple committees, coordinator for many levels and streams, be teacher in charge of CCA. But these are considered routine work, and usually the officer is just executing other people's ideas, helping to achieve other people's KPI.

Ask your RO if you can be reassigned to other roles that allow you showcase your ability to perform above your paygrade.

Unregistered 24-12-2022 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237636)
Easy for you to say this

Can consider applying for HQ position. After a couple of years, you have a good chance to be a KP, which will then accelerate your promotion to GEO4,5 and SEO1.