Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

anonnnymos 13-12-2022 10:45 PM

the last few pages really hit the nail on the head for a lot of suffering GEO3 officers.

I am one myself - 6 years as GEO 3 - First Class Hons from NUS but stuck in a school where many GEO5 are just cruising and constantly rejecting work and their best skill is siamming arrows. But know how to talk a lot of self praise when cannot keep up with technology and are despised by the students - most of the work are really done by the GEO3 and GEO4 who are cannibalising themselves and burning themselves out.

Solution is to also reject the work and make the HOD spread it out more evenly - but they also scared of the geo 5, who have no qualms of doing a crappy job - then end up next year arrow the geo 3 again.

Unregistered 13-12-2022 11:16 PM

Are school teachers allowed to teach tuition??

On weekends, after Sch on Sch days

Unregistered 13-12-2022 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237036)
Are school teachers allowed to teach tuition??

On weekends, after Sch on Sch days

Short answer: yes, it can be allowed

Long answer: BY RIGHT must get Principal's approval, and even if approved, cannot exceed 6hr/week, cannot have any evidence that it is affecting your work in school, bla bla bla bla bla bureaucratic bullshet

BY LEFT remember SAF last core value. Do what you need to do but lie low.

Unregistered 13-12-2022 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonnnymos (Post 237032)
the last few pages really hit the nail on the head for a lot of suffering GEO3 officers.

I am one myself - 6 years as GEO 3 - First Class Hons from NUS but stuck in a school where many GEO5 are just cruising and constantly rejecting work and their best skill is siamming arrows. But know how to talk a lot of self praise when cannot keep up with technology and are despised by the students - most of the work are really done by the GEO3 and GEO4 who are cannibalising themselves and burning themselves out.

Solution is to also reject the work and make the HOD spread it out more evenly - but they also scared of the geo 5, who have no qualms of doing a crappy job - then end up next year arrow the geo 3 again.

It’s wiser to volunteer for work that interests you than to wait for arrows to come your way. Arrows are usually work that you won’t like.

Unregistered 14-12-2022 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237037)

Long answer: BY RIGHT must get Principal's approval, and even if approved, cannot exceed 6hr/week, cannot have any evidence that it is affecting your work in school, bla bla bla bla bla bureaucratic bullshet

Thanks for this answer. How do Sch teachers view teaching tuition as a full time gig though?

When I was a kid, I used to attend this tuition centre, which has only grown larger and more expensive, but you pay for what you get.

So I always assumed teaching tuition full time pays better.

Unregistered 14-12-2022 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237038)
It’s wiser to volunteer for work that interests you than to wait for arrows to come your way. Arrows are usually work that you won’t like.

this is easy to say... but work assignment is usually already "locked on" to specific people by SLs and KPs... high profile work usually reserved for scholars...the rest will be thrown down to others...If laojiao GEO5s reject, thrown down further to the lower grades...

Unregistered 14-12-2022 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237052)
Thanks for this answer. How do Sch teachers view teaching tuition as a full time gig though?

When I was a kid, I used to attend this tuition centre, which has only grown larger and more expensive, but you pay for what you get.

So I always assumed teaching tuition full time pays better.

You have been correct all this while. If you calculate the pay per working hour, full time tutors do have a higher earning rate.

Unregistered 14-12-2022 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237017)
It's OK, you're still young! Still have lots to enjoy in life :)

I've got a friend who is a full time tutor and she enjoys her freedom and work life balance a lot. No restrictions of any kind from Ministry, no marking, no lesson planning, no CCA, no committee, no FTship. Can plan own flexible hours, can have some online tutoring, can even play mobile games with her kids during breaks in between. She earns probably around the salary range of a GEO4. May be slightly higher or lower depending on the number of kids she decides to take in.

That is the goal. Thanks for sharing ! :)

Unregistered 14-12-2022 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237037)

Will principal approve? Wouldn’t he think that this teacher is too free to have time to do tuition?

Unregistered 14-12-2022 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237095)
Will principal approve? Wouldn’t he think that this teacher is too free to have time to do tuition?

Just stating what is on the official HR communications to teachers.

In practice, principal will not approve. Possibly because they may be under some HR direction not to approve.