Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 16-12-2022 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237213)
Just curious if other jobs in the civil service are as demanding as a teacher’s job? Do they need to work in the evenings and on weekends as well?

For similar pay ranges, it's quite common to have to take significant amounts of work home. I'm a teacher myself but I don't exactly envy my peers in some other ministries, at least those who aspire to climb the ladder. If you want to 'quiet quit' you can do it, but if you want to climb it's the same old s**t again: work above your paygrade, get appointed to positions but have to wait for a few years to get the promotion in subgrade, etc etc. This disease is not confined to MOE, it's a civil service wide practice.

Unregistered 16-12-2022 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237227)
For similar pay ranges, it's quite common to have to take significant amounts of work home. I'm a teacher myself but I don't exactly envy my peers in some other ministries, at least those who aspire to climb the ladder. If you want to 'quiet quit' you can do it, but if you want to climb it's the same old s**t again: work above your paygrade, get appointed to positions but have to wait for a few years to get the promotion in subgrade, etc etc. This disease is not confined to MOE, it's a civil service wide practice.

I guess it is more of the local working culture. It’s not just the teaching profession that is challenging nowadays.

Unregistered 16-12-2022 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237227)

Pardon me, but what’s the disease? Working hard and getting promoted sounds standard

Unregistered 17-12-2022 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237231)
Pardon me, but what’s the disease? Working hard and getting promoted sounds standard

Working hard in a management appointment but waiting for years and years to get promoted to your estab grade while collecting miniscule increments along the way.

Unregistered 17-12-2022 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237235)
Working hard in a management appointment but waiting for years and years to get promoted to your estab grade while collecting miniscule increments along the way.

Isn’t this the same in other CS jobs?

Unregistered 17-12-2022 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237243)

Are you illiterate?

from the earlier comment: "This disease is not confined to MOE, it's a civil service wide practice."

Unregistered 17-12-2022 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237243)

And you think it is okay to pay someone at a non-management salary scale while they work a management position?

Unregistered 17-12-2022 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237246)
And you think it is okay to pay someone at a non-management salary scale while they work a management position?

You know what, having worked in the civil service since graduation, my initial though was, "Yeah, isn't that the norm? Just wait a few years and your salary will catch up."

But yes, my understanding is that in the private sector, your pay doesn't take so long to catch up (if there's any wait at all).

Unregistered 17-12-2022 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237250)
You know what, having worked in the civil service since graduation, my initial though was, "Yeah, isn't that the norm? Just wait a few years and your salary will catch up."

But yes, my understanding is that in the private sector, your pay doesn't take so long to catch up (if there's any wait at all).

Exactly. It's not even 'a few years'. For example, in the context of the Education Officers scheme, we have GEO4 officers holding positions which are SEO2 estab (such as HOD). Most people in this thread will know how long it takes to go from GEO4 to SEO2. Not to mention that this person is more than likely to have direct reports drawing a higher salary. It's absolutely bananas that your pay is correlated more strongly with age/YOE than anything else, including the impact of your work.

Unregistered 17-12-2022 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 237253)
Exactly. It's not even 'a few years'. For example, in the context of the Education Officers scheme, we have GEO4 officers holding positions which are SEO2 estab (such as HOD). Most people in this thread will know how long it takes to go from GEO4 to SEO2. Not to mention that this person is more than likely to have direct reports drawing a higher salary. It's absolutely bananas that your pay is correlated more strongly with age/YOE than anything else, including the impact of your work.

What's ridiculous is that in private sector, remuneration is based on one's appointment, less so on pay grades.

A person working in the capacity of HOD will be paid a HOD salary, not an exec's salary. Yet we see people taking on appointments 2-3 pay grades higher on top of their normal work, while drawing a low pay.

And salary increments can increase by 10-20% jumping across companies. It is also possible to negotiate one's salary.

This is not possible in CS. Jumping across ministries or stat boards usually see a pay cut. And there is no room to negotiate for salaries. You either take whatever salary HR offers, and don't take the job.