Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 21-07-2022 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 226008)
Part of their application process is to write an essay if I remember. There was a sharing earlier by hq officers to Teachers about jobs in hq. If not high class they won't ask for such high barriers right

Write one essay = high barrier 🤣

Unregistered 21-07-2022 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 226007)
Like that almost any hq posting is a leg up. Then what kind of hq posting is not very useful then

Policy wing positions are very different from other hq positions tho because of their proximity to public policy making. They probably provide a more systems view of moe and beyond.

Unregistered 22-07-2022 05:06 AM

MOE PSC scholars are only posted to Planning, Higher Ed and Comms and Engagement. Draw your own conclusions.

Unregistered 22-07-2022 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 226003)
providing special services to stressed teachers

Help teacher eat bird bird special services kind?

Unregistered 22-07-2022 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 226000)
This kind of fast track very kelong...Many ppl i know at 32 might still at GEO 3 , very few at GEO 4

Then can I say that the many that you know are those who didn’t make the cut? Don’t generalise things and put down the efforts of individuals. I am the one who shared my progression, and I can safely say that I took on more responsibilities than most of the officers in my sub grade.

Unregistered 23-07-2022 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 226000)
This kind of fast track very kelong...Many ppl i know at 32 might still at GEO 3 , very few at GEO 4

Don't worry too much, they will probably be promoted by next year? There's usually an age range for the subgrade too right?

Unregistered 23-07-2022 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 226084)
MOE PSC scholars are only posted to Planning, Higher Ed and Comms and Engagement. Draw your own conclusions.

This is reasonable and expected. PSC scholars are supposed to be moulded into leading policy thinkers and developers. You can't hone high-level policy thinking working in most Professional Wing positions, because a lot of them "take orders from policy branches" and simply realise these policy shifts by integrating them into current practices and SOPs. They don't have access to any policy levers themselves.

Unregistered 23-07-2022 12:46 PM

Untrained teaching stint/contract

Hi, I am currently in the untrained teaching stint for PGDE. What advice do y’all have with regards to increasing my chances of getting the school’s approval to send me to NIE?

Unregistered 23-07-2022 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 226204)
Hi, I am currently in the untrained teaching stint for PGDE. What advice do y’all have with regards to increasing my chances of getting the school’s approval to send me to NIE?

Try not to reject responsibilities given to you. Instead of saying "by right im not trained", see these as opportunities to learn because it is far better to learn and explore during contract than when you start practicum. This means opening yourself to teaching across different streams and levels as well as in other non TNL areas.

Always show a positive attitude and be a good team player for your department and committee. When you can help, help. But also learn to say no when you are fully committed else where.

Importantly, use the classroom to experiment with TNL and build rapport with the students. In assessing you, CTs and your mentors will likely see your ability to manage a class, whether you have demonstrated any initaitive to engage the class beyond just pen and paper, and importantly, whether you have a good working attitude.

Don't be afraid to ask for help and talk to colleague within and beyond your department to get different perspectives! Especially if you share common students.

And don't be afraid of failure! Contract teaching is a good time to learn and see if the teaching service is really for you. All the best!

Unregistered 23-07-2022 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 226204)

When does your letter of appointment state that you would be sent for training?

I feel that it’s best to speak to the principal about it and give him or her very good and compelling reasons why you want to go for training asap. Your supervisor is likely to recommend that you stay in school for at least 1 year in the name of giving you exposure and school experience.