Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 06-12-2022 09:09 AM

Hi any fajt here can share the timeline of your application?

Unregistered 06-12-2022 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 236527)
Because not everyone is working equally hard. So those who are willing are picking up the slack for those who aren’t.

What about schools where everyone is pretty much meeting the expectations of their subgrade, and SLs have to fight tooth and nail to give no/minimal C-/D grades? Why does there always seem to be slack that needs to be picked up? Is it really slack, or have we normalised working way above your paygrade that nobody even bats an eyelid that a GEO3 is performing a subset of middle management duties.. and even envies his/her position?

Unregistered 06-12-2022 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 236559)
What about schools where everyone is pretty much meeting the expectations of their subgrade, and SLs have to fight tooth and nail to give no/minimal C-/D grades? Why does there always seem to be slack that needs to be picked up? Is it really slack, or have we normalised working way above your paygrade that nobody even bats an eyelid that a GEO3 is performing a subset of middle management duties.. and even envies his/her position?

If everyone is meeting the expectations of their sub grade, when SLs fighting tooth and nail to give no/minimal C-/D is just them doing their job, no?

GEO3 who are performing above their sub grade should indeed be rewarded with better performance grades. And as a result will probably get promoted sooner.

As part of the ranking panel, has the panel been fair in giving out performance grades to the GEO5s who are not meeting expectations? I think that’s the more important question.

Unregistered 06-12-2022 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 236531)
I'm one of those young GEO3 who works way above their subgrade. And yes I've no life. My skin has suffered too. It's been so bad since I started teaching, lack of sleep, eat whatever that's fast and convenient and not enough water becos I've no time to go toilet. I hold 3 positions, a CCA IC and sitting in 3 committees, with countless schoolwide events and projects. The GEO5s are telling me I'm too hardworking. I want to be like some of them too. They are basically classroom teachers with one small role.

But how can I slow down when my RO told me I need to do more, he is constantly putting me down. Even told me during work review that becos I didn't do as much as I should, I'm ranked at the bottom of my subgrade. I've been getting straight Bs until I changed to this RO. Now I'm a C+ but I still win awards every year though. While I thanked my HOD for these awards, she is also the one who overworked me. Sometimes I feel as though I need to show her that I'm not so reliable/capable, so she won't ask me to lead and spearhead this and that. So as much as I want to slow down and perform at my subgrade, I can't. How do you say no when your boss throws work at you and at the same time, your RO constantly reminds you at work review that you're not doing enough.

It's confusing and frustrating and I've had enough. I'm getting my very first connect plan payout next year and intend to tender my resignation right after. The amount of hours that I worked, weekdays, weekends and public holidays is ridiculous compared to my uni peers in other sectors.

Yea good choice. All the best. Hope u learn to pace urself n learn to say No in ur next job.

Unregistered 07-12-2022 09:08 AM

Anyone knows when CONNECT plan payout is given? Is it the same time as the dec salary due this Fri?

ezondeyes 07-12-2022 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 236531)
I'm one of those young GEO3 who works way above their subgrade. And yes I've no life. My skin has suffered too. It's been so bad since I started teaching, lack of sleep, eat whatever that's fast and convenient and not enough water becos I've no time to go toilet. I hold 3 positions, a CCA IC and sitting in 3 committees, with countless schoolwide events and projects. The GEO5s are telling me I'm too hardworking. I want to be like some of them too. They are basically classroom teachers with one small role.

But how can I slow down when my RO told me I need to do more, he is constantly putting me down. Even told me during work review that becos I didn't do as much as I should, I'm ranked at the bottom of my subgrade. I've been getting straight Bs until I changed to this RO. Now I'm a C+ but I still win awards every year though. While I thanked my HOD for these awards, she is also the one who overworked me. Sometimes I feel as though I need to show her that I'm not so reliable/capable, so she won't ask me to lead and spearhead this and that. So as much as I want to slow down and perform at my subgrade, I can't. How do you say no when your boss throws work at you and at the same time, your RO constantly reminds you at work review that you're not doing enough.

It's confusing and frustrating and I've had enough. I'm getting my very first connect plan payout next year and intend to tender my resignation right after. The amount of hours that I worked, weekdays, weekends and public holidays is ridiculous compared to my uni peers in other sectors.

Hello batch mate! I feel you. I am also a GEO 3 consistently getting C. I am holding coordinatorship, am ICT advocate, am IC of a CCA, level rep, and am also involved in 2 other committees, including cockpit. My IP HOD just told me that I have been identified as a HP teacher and will begin training next year. The school has also decided to put 2 high needs children in my class next year. I am also considering quitting next year after taking connect plan.

Tired.

Unregistered 07-12-2022 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezondeyes (Post 236642)
identified as a HP teacher

Ah.. the beginning of the end. After a couple of years of having one to two more committee deployments than your peers, extra functional duties that pop up throughout the year, external collaborations, projects and duties, and perhaps even an internal KP appointment, your personal life will suffer, your physical health may suffer, your mental health may suffer, and when you survive.. you find that you are still GEO3.

The grass is literally greener on the other side.

Unregistered 07-12-2022 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezondeyes (Post 236642)
Hello batch mate! I feel you. I am also a GEO 3 consistently getting C. I am holding coordinatorship, am ICT advocate, am IC of a CCA, level rep, and am also involved in 2 other committees, including cockpit. My IP HOD just told me that I have been identified as a HP teacher and will begin training next year. The school has also decided to put 2 high needs children in my class next year. I am also considering quitting next year after taking connect plan.

Tired.

Don’t quit if you are offered SH position. KPs are offloaded from many duties and can concentrate on their own portfolio.

Unregistered 07-12-2022 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 236645)
Don’t quit if you are offered SH position. KPs are offloaded from many duties and can concentrate on their own portfolio.

GEO3 can only be internally appointed. Means no offloading.

Unregistered 08-12-2022 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 236629)
Anyone knows when CONNECT plan payout is given? Is it the same time as the dec salary due this Fri?

Separate, at least back in 2019. My CONNECT statement that year included this line:

"The cash amount of $XYZ will be credited into your bank account on 19 DEC 2019."