Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 07-09-2022 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 229793)
Questions:
1. How many years have you been in the service?
2. How have your pb over the years been?

It could be a passing remark or a genuine case of seeing the potential in you to take on leadership role, be it in the teaching or leadership track. SH, ST, teachers, they all come under the hod. If the head is good, good. Else, it doesn’t make much of a difference.

To me, I will gladly take on SH position. It is a mean to shut the mouths of other KPs, especially during ranking since you will not be brought up for discussion. When you are just a HOT, many things, good or bad, go on behind the closed door. At the same time, you are likely to get a better pb. However, be prepared to take on more responsibilities too, including being an RO. Not everyone likes that.

i would say that not SH can attain hod position, you do see many career SHs. Of course, it is important to work towards that still. Stressful or not it depends on individuals. The responsibilities is definitely greater being a hod, as you oversee departments and often are required to take on roles such as presiding examiner for National examinations or lead committees in planning for school events.

I'm in HQ posting out in 2024. 10 years in service and standard HQ experience. Get Cs while having goten B's in school.

This came up for discussion for mid year review so it's pretty serious since its going to determine where I end up. I said I wanted to do leadership but I'm now having second thoughts. Being Hot is attractive especially after 3 years of being squeezed dry at HQvHaha

Unregistered 07-09-2022 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 229681)
I wonder why your mouth is full of ****

Well it's true. Many KPs are crap

Unregistered 07-09-2022 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 229862)
I'm in HQ posting out in 2024. 10 years in service and standard HQ experience. Get Cs while having goten B's in school.

This came up for discussion for mid year review so it's pretty serious since its going to determine where I end up. I said I wanted to do leadership but I'm now having second thoughts. Being Hot is attractive especially after 3 years of being squeezed dry at HQvHaha

If want to be HOT, go for RI / HCI / JCs

Unregistered 07-09-2022 10:07 PM

my teacher in jc often motivate our class guys by letting us teh her neh if we do well in tests and exams.

sure all of us to graduate with flying colors soon!

Unregistered 08-09-2022 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 229862)

I’ve heard of teachers who went straight for HOD position via enhanced posting without prior leadership appointment. It depends on what is offered. It really is not a bad thing to stay as a HOT. For your case, I am not sure if you have attained GEO 5. With the new GEO 5A, one way is to just remain as HOT while you see if you like the school and work towards the5A sub grade. subsequently, with your capabilities noticed, you can then decide if you would like to go any vacant KP positions within the school.

If you are geo 4, I will take up the KP position.

Unregistered 09-09-2022 10:00 AM

Pardon me for asking this

I have friends who are teachers and this is also covered in the news that Teachers wanna quit their jobs

But where will they be applying to?

How will the market absorb them?

Will it be lateral - as in giving tuition? Or a stat board job etc

Unregistered 09-09-2022 11:17 AM

Open Posting technicalities

Context: I am a BT in my first posting starting from 1 Jan 2023. My official confirmation to GEO2 was April 2022. Tia gong first posting only need 2 years in service. However the eligibility criterion to apply is to have completed 2 Years in the first posting as of 31 DEC of the year you are applying.

E.g I want to apply for OPE in July 2023, so I must have served 2 years in my current posting by 31 DEC 2023.

However the MOE HR unit tells me that Practicum period does not count towards the 2 years of service in the first posting. Even if I want to apply for new posting starting Sem 2 2024, I do not even meet the criterion to apply in the first place.

My questions are:
1) Anyone knows of any BT who successfully applied for OPE in their second year?
2) Does this mean that I am only eligible to apply for OPE in 2024?

Appreciate your insights, dear senpais

Unregistered 10-09-2022 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 229937)

I have friends who are teachers and this is also covered in the news that Teachers wanna quit their jobs

Cross ministry transfer to other ministries , not that hard since teachers are very experienced in event planning, customer relations, training etc

Unregistered 10-09-2022 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 229937)

Tuition is a good choice. Won’t die out. Can easily make equal or more than in school.

Unregistered 10-09-2022 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 230024)
Cross ministry transfer to other ministries , not that hard since teachers are very experienced in event planning, customer relations, training etc

Any ex-teachers who have done this? Is the experience recognised? Will there be a paycut?

I know of a friend who did this and he had to take a paycut.