Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

mujdey 23-07-2021 07:29 AM

My own opinion is positive about a job as a teacher. It depends what type of teacher you want to be. For example if you want to be a school teacher, then great. But think twice about it, because the hardest part of being a school teacher are children. If you don't find a way to control them, then you are doomed. You can also be a sports teacher. You can create your own clubs of sports, and be the one who helps children find their potential in sport. There are other options like driving teacher, financial teacher and many more. So in conclusion, it is down to you, to choose what type of teacher you want to become.

Unregistered 23-07-2021 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mujdey (Post 178278)
My own opinion is positive about a job as a teacher. It depends what type of teacher you want to be. For example if you want to be a school teacher, then great. But think twice about it, because the hardest part of being a school teacher are children. If you don't find a way to control them, then you are doomed. You can also be a [URL="s://.trinityschoolofmedicine.org/about/whytrinity/accreditation"]sports teacher[/. You can create your own clubs of sports, and be the one who helps children find their potential in sport. There are other options like driving teacher, financial teacher and many more. So in conclusion, it is down to you, to choose what type of teacher you want to become.

If you are a pri school teacher especially, I daresay the parents are the greater challenge. The majority of parents are supportive, understanding and cooperative, but the minority who are the opposite will make your life a living hell.

And a lot of manifestations of issues in children can be traced back to the behaviour and attitudes of their parents.

Unregistered 23-07-2021 12:57 PM

Basically if you are planning to make money, dont join.

I took the wrong move to join PDGE after i left my first job. I was there just for the sake of the salary and could not really find the drive to help students.

Left after bond ended.

Do not join unless you have a heart to help and guide students. You will ruined them.

Unregistered 23-07-2021 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 178291)
Basically if you are planning to make money, dont join.

I took the wrong move to join PDGE after i left my first job. I was there just for the sake of the salary and could not really find the drive to help students.

Left after bond ended.

Do not join unless you have a heart to help and guide students. You will ruined them.

Is there work life balance in teaching as a career? During weekends, do teachers have a good rest?

Unregistered 24-07-2021 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 178338)
Is there work life balance in teaching as a career? During weekends, do teachers have a good rest?

In general, yes if they choose to.

There are some who are unable to. Generally speaking though, most can if they choose to, for most weekends.

Good is relative. I assume we are talking having time to oneself and not be working.

Unregistered 24-07-2021 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 178338)

It is a choice. I always leave office on time since i dont bother to climb in grade. Officially you can seek permission to teach tuition up to a certain hour from your principal (6hrs a week if i rmb correctly).

Those super passionate one will meet students on wkend in school to help them for extra lesson. For me, i never worked a single weekend before cause i teach tuition the whole day. (Yes i go beyond the allowed 6 hrs granted by my principal)

Unregistered 24-07-2021 02:38 PM

Has anyone gotten an invite from HR to give talk to inspiring undergraduates and graduates to join teaching?
How does HR choose people to give such talks for recruitment?

Unregistered 24-07-2021 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 178369)
Has anyone gotten an invite from HR to give talk to inspiring undergraduates and graduates to join teaching?
How does HR choose people to give such talks for recruitment?

I had the opportunity to speak to undergraduates and get them to sign up for the teaching scholarship/award back in 2018. I was in HQ back then. I understood from HR that they will find officers doing relatively well to give such talks. Actually, they will ask your Director/Cluster Sup for recommendations too.

Unregistered 24-07-2021 10:16 PM

IHL lecturer to MOE teacher?

Hi all,

I was wondering if any current teachers here were once an IHL lecturer and got "transferred" or converted to as MOE teachers successfully? I am currently an IHL lecturer and was contemplating of becoming a MOE teacher.. I am currently now in my 8 years of service..

Some questions if anyone can enlighten me =))

1) Is DACE considered as a qualified teaching qualification? Do I still need to take up PGDE?

2) Is converting to MOE teacher from IHL's lecturer considered as a transfer and my service years can be retained?

3) If I am successfully got accepted, will the current PB from my IHLs be affected, say i.e, I tendered in Dec 21, serve my 3 months notice, and report to MOE school in Mar 22.

Thank you!

Unregistered 25-07-2021 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 178391)
Hi all,

I was wondering if any current teachers here were once an IHL lecturer and got "transferred" or converted to as MOE teachers successfully? I am currently an IHL lecturer and was contemplating of becoming a MOE teacher.. I am currently now in my 8 years of service..

Some questions if anyone can enlighten me =))

1) Is DACE considered as a qualified teaching qualification? Do I still need to take up PGDE?

2) Is converting to MOE teacher from IHL's lecturer considered as a transfer and my service years can be retained?

3) If I am successfully got accepted, will the current PB from my IHLs be affected, say i.e, I tendered in Dec 21, serve my 3 months notice, and report to MOE school in Mar 22.

Thank you!

nope cant work.
you have no general education exp