Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

WorkSoHard 25-07-2021 01:45 AM

Is it true that if a teacher gets a promotion in a school, he needs to serve at least the next two years in the school?

If the teacher indicated interest to post out, would the school hesitate to promote him (if he is due to be promoted)?

Unregistered 25-07-2021 09:53 AM

No such requirement for promotees.

Promotion is largely decided centrally by HR - I doubt school leadership will actively block this, even if they could. However, it is possible that the school might not award this teacher B or C+ (or raise CEP) if leaving… although more enlightened leadership should till be aim to judge him fairly, based on actual contributions and capability.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WorkSoHard (Post 178404)
Is it true that if a teacher gets a promotion in a school, he needs to serve at least the next two years in the school?

If the teacher indicated interest to post out, would the school hesitate to promote him (if he is due to be promoted)?

Munchen 25-07-2021 04:11 PM

Hello everyone.

I am currently an untrained Secondary school teacher. Have been teaching since Jan 2021. I am expected to teach until NIE intake in December. Have already been cleared to proceed but there are several things I would like to ask.

1) For teachers with CS coming in 2 different departments, do they end up teaching more hours? I am asking because i have 4 classes for my CS1 and 2 classes for CS2. And these classes are all at different levels so that would mean 6 different classes to prepare for each week.

2) Are there checks by SLs to ensure some teachers are not overloaded? I notice that the newbies get more classes at least in my school. In the future, if i am assigned too many classes as a trained teacher, what avenues can I use to voice out my concerns about the workload?

3) I did bring this workload up to my mentor but i was told in a rather dismissive manner that "it is a right of passage". Are newbie teachers expected to take on more classes in the beginning? Once you become more experienced, you deserve less classes sort of thing?

Unregistered 25-07-2021 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchen (Post 178448)
Hello everyone.

I am currently an untrained Secondary school teacher. Have been teaching since Jan 2021. I am expected to teach until NIE intake in December. Have already been cleared to proceed but there are several things I would like to ask.

1) For teachers with CS coming in 2 different departments, do they end up teaching more hours? I am asking because i have 4 classes for my CS1 and 2 classes for CS2. And these classes are all at different levels so that would mean 6 different classes to prepare for each week.

2) Are there checks by SLs to ensure some teachers are not overloaded? I notice that the newbies get more classes at least in my school. In the future, if i am assigned too many classes as a trained teacher, what avenues can I use to voice out my concerns about the workload?

3) I did bring this workload up to my mentor but i was told in a rather dismissive manner that "it is a right of passage". Are newbie teachers expected to take on more classes in the beginning? Once you become more experienced, you deserve less classes sort of thing?

Welcome to the real world.
They can bully whoever they can.
U can skip chain of command and write to p, but doubt it will work well for your future
But if u need this job, just have to tolerate it till u finish pgde

Unregistered 25-07-2021 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchen (Post 178448)
Hello everyone.

Teaching 6 classes is the norm. If you are a BT, your only job is only teaching, thus it’s normal that you have a variety of classes. You are not the coordinator so you often get to follow the SOW. Just need to modify stuff for your classes. The more senior you get, the more roles you will have. Thus, you will end up focusing on either lower Sec or upper Sec. Workload is not just teaching load.

Munchen 25-07-2021 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 178449)
Welcome to the real world.
They can bully whoever they can.
U can skip chain of command and write to p, but doubt it will work well for your future
But if u need this job, just have to tolerate it till u finish pgde

I already knew that voicing this out may not end well for me. That is why i have been slogging it out since January.

So do most schools do this to newbies?? :0

Unregistered 25-07-2021 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 178385)
I had the opportunity to speak to undergraduates and get them to sign up for the teaching scholarship/award back in 2018. I was in HQ back then. I understood from HR that they will find officers doing relatively well to give such talks. Actually, they will ask your Director/Cluster Sup for recommendations too.

Does that have any relation in terms of paving the way towards e.g. VP-ship?

Unregistered 25-07-2021 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchen (Post 178451)
I already knew that voicing this out may not end well for me. That is why i have been slogging it out since January.

So do most schools do this to newbies?? :0

Usually the more experienced you are, the heavier the workload (no. Of teaching classes, cca, committee duties etc). Newbies are offloaded.

Unregistered 25-07-2021 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 176536)
An official notification will only come to your P if you accept an offer in HRMS.

But it is a basic courtesy to inform your P and RO that you are intending to apply and there is a possibility that you will leave, should you be offered a position elsewhere. Unless you are for some reason completely not on talking terms with your P, you really should give him/her a heads up first.

It's quite rude to the P if he/she finds out first from another P or a Branch Head about your application, but radio silence from you. Or worse, suddenly receive a HRMS notification of your new posting out of the blue.

I just accepted an Open Posting offer but did not inform my P.
I did inform my RO at the beginning of the year and mentioned it again 2 weeks ago during mid year EPMS.

WorkSoHard 26-07-2021 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 178464)
Usually the more experienced you are, the heavier the workload (no. Of teaching classes, cca, committee duties etc). Newbies are offloaded.

In my school, KPs have lighter workload, less classes, some are even banded (not full class), and some very senior KPs don’t teach the challenging (in terms of discipline). He openly said that “give me the students with the best results, I don’t want to deal with discipline issues”. He equate good results to good behavior.