Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 22-07-2013 06:14 PM

Dear all,

Joined the teaching service as a contract teacher since Jan 2012 and just completed NIE in Jul 2013.
Just wondering when will the pay increase start to take effect?
Please advise. Thank you all. :)

Unregistered 23-07-2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 40203)
Dear all,

Joined the teaching service as a contract teacher since Jan 2012 and just completed NIE in Jul 2013.
Just wondering when will the pay increase start to take effect?
Please advise. Thank you all. :)

Lousy Industry.
Low pay. Long working hours.
Low Bonus.
After work hours, have to plan for lessons, have to do markings.
You do not just teach, 45% of the time you're doing this shitty admin work.
Weekend burnt for CCA.
Have to answer parent's call after working hours
and the best of it, most of your colleagues are there to just make a living out of it. They are not really passionate which makes it harder for you.

DO NOT EVER GO INTO THIS INDUSTRY.

Unregistered 23-07-2013 09:26 AM

Lousy Industry. FALSE
Low pay. Long working hours. FALSE.TRUE.
Low Bonus. NOT ALWAYS TRUE.
After work hours, have to plan for lessons, have to do markings. TRUE.
You do not just teach, 45% of the time you're doing this shitty admin work. QUITE TRUE
Weekend burnt for CCA. TRUE
Have to answer parent's call after working hours TRUE
and the best of it, most of your colleagues are there to just make a living out of it. They are not really passionate which makes it harder for you. TRUE, TO SOME EXTENT

DO NOT EVER GO INTO THIS INDUSTRY. ....THAT"S NOT A FAIR STATEMENT.

Unregistered 23-07-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 40232)
Lousy Industry. FALSE
Low pay. Long working hours. FALSE.TRUE.
Low Bonus. NOT ALWAYS TRUE.
After work hours, have to plan for lessons, have to do markings. TRUE.
You do not just teach, 45% of the time you're doing this shitty admin work. QUITE TRUE
Weekend burnt for CCA. TRUE
Have to answer parent's call after working hours TRUE
and the best of it, most of your colleagues are there to just make a living out of it. They are not really passionate which makes it harder for you. TRUE, TO SOME EXTENT

DO NOT EVER GO INTO THIS INDUSTRY. ....THAT"S NOT A FAIR STATEMENT.

Come on, you compare the pay scheme of a teacher against a finance grad/MNC/Oil and Gas.

i think he is right. However, low pay is very much subjective, i think in fact teachers have higher pay as monetary incentives are used to attract teachers.

Unregistered 23-07-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 40233)
Come on, you compare the pay scheme of a teacher against a finance grad/MNC/Oil and Gas.

i think he is right. However, low pay is very much subjective, i think in fact teachers have higher pay as monetary incentives are used to attract teachers.

in fact, singapore is a finance/education/tourist hub. Theres little room for engineering except chemical.

Although it seems that teacher needs to work long hours, you gotta be efficient to cut the hours. (ie. Exchange and let students mark while going through the qsn. Marking during your free period. Or you can use poly style. In the end its up to the student to learn. Spoon feed too much is a bad idea.)

From what i see, teachers do get quite a number of free time compared to people in the finance sector.
(Ie. Exam periods, December holidays (other than CCA).) So what you have to come back to school during the holidays? They also never ask you stay past 6pm whereas other sectors are still busy working their ass off.

Unregistered 23-07-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 40231)
Lousy Industry.
Low pay. Long working hours.
Low Bonus.
After work hours, have to plan for lessons, have to do markings.
You do not just teach, 45% of the time you're doing this shitty admin work.
Weekend burnt for CCA.
Have to answer parent's call after working hours
and the best of it, most of your colleagues are there to just make a living out of it. They are not really passionate which makes it harder for you.

DO NOT EVER GO INTO THIS INDUSTRY.

Aiyo. I have seen teachers earning 5k-8K range. That amount already surpass most engineers liao still complain.

Unregistered 23-07-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 40240)
Aiyo. I have seen teachers earning 5k-8K range. That amount already surpass most engineers liao still complain.

some of my friend

male with NS, dunno 2nd lower/upper

grad in 2007. now in 2013, getting 5-6k as teacher !!!!

moi as an engineer only 4k nia, same batch

Unregistered 24-07-2013 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 40247)
some of my friend

male with NS, dunno 2nd lower/upper

grad in 2007. now in 2013, getting 5-6k as teacher !!!!

moi as an engineer only 4k nia, same batch

Cuz got pay rise which was announced some where last year aug

Now wanna be MOE teacher need to take ELT test if your ang moh cui. Sort of like a license to take before becoming a teacher similarly to aircraft engineer. Fail the test need wait extra 6months LOL

Unregistered 24-07-2013 06:19 AM

you cant choose the level you want to teach and subjects, which makes it a joke.

Unregistered 24-07-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 40270)
you cant choose the level you want to teach and subjects, which makes it a joke.

passionate teachers are few, those who just want to make a living out of it are plenty.

On top of teaching which itself is stressful, you have to handle CCAs and plan for the lessons.

2007 to 2013 that is 5 years at how much? 5-7 k?

You sure there are no other civil jobs that can hit that amount? Considering the fact that he's a male, been through NS and graduated with a FCH/Second upper?


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 12:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2